IGNORED

Raising Olives have changed their tune......

teachergirl

not sure how many of you have followed Kimberly and Mark from Raising Olives but they are/were the typical Reformed quiverfull parents of 11 and did the usual homeschooling/SAHD and had several posts about how college wasn't happening for their children, wasn't necessary, etc.  Well, they have changed their minds because two of her children are going to Tennessee and King College  which may be in PA and she says she has a third somewhere too. She doesnt really update her blog but this made me so happy. They seem to have been loosening the reins since their children did cross country/ wore shorts/etc. Another one freed!

Can you send where they talk about King College? I couldn't find it, and I'm curious. :my_smile:

Her latest FB picture has their kids in their college shirts and it says King College....could have sworn there is one in Wilkes Barre PA....off to Google it now!

it is King University in Bristol TN and I believe they live in Knoxville so close to home.  Either way just happy they are broadening their horizons!

1 hour ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Can you send where they talk about King College? I couldn't find it, and I'm curious. :my_smile:

It's on their Facebook page.

This is very interesting. I used to follow Raising Olives back in the day and this statement from the last blog entry (over a year ago) suggests some changes in philosophy:

The younger kids are enjoying having lots of big kids around. Their life is quite different than what our big kids experienced when they were all little and we’re seeing God shape them into the unique people that He has ordained them to be. It’s lovely to see the teens take time out to include the younger ones.

Didn't Raising Olives used to promote the tomato-staking bullshit?

26 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Pretty sure she did. Hopefully that is one thing that has been dropped. 

yes and her schedule of chores put Erika to shame...They used the "render unto Caesar" verse as justification for no college but clearly they changed their minds.  I know she had a huge identity crisis when she could not sustain a pregnancy anymore. I think she has the same clotting disorder that Eriin Bates Paine does.

13 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Can someone help a newbie?  What's the tomato-staking BS?

25 minutes ago, Jezzable said:

Can someone help a newbie?  What's the tomato-staking BS?

Here. Adult beverages may help you get through it.

7 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

WTFFFFF did I just read? I'm glad you suggested beverages  - plural. One drink would certainly not suffice.  This person has obviously read too many Gothard-laced-with-Pearl nature books. Damn.

I think it's much easier to micromanage young  children's lives and take the no college stance because young children have relatively simple needs (at least compared to teens) and the time to start thinking about career planning is far off. Once the teen years do come and the realization of how difficult it is to have a decent job without some form of college or vocational training, I bet many of these families change their minds. I don't think many Quiverfull families can afford to support a bunch of non-working twenty something's like the Duggars do (yes, I know the J'slaves do a lot of work around the TTH but they aren't earning independent income and they shouldn't be raising their parents' children in the first place).

14 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I think it's much easier to micromanage young  children's lives and take the no college stance because young children have relatively simple needs (at least compared to teens) and the time to start thinking about career planning is far off. Once the teen years do come and the realization of how difficult it is to have a decent job without some form of college or vocational training, I bet many of these families change their minds. I don't think many Quiverfull families can afford to support a bunch of non-working twenty something's like the Duggars do (yes, I know the J'slaves do a lot of work around the TTH but they aren't earning independent income and they shouldn't be raising their parents' children in the first place).

So true. I've seen this in the families of certain (non-fundie) relatives. The parents were stringent in their discipline of their very young children, but ran out of steam when the kids reached their teens, with expected consequences.

As I've said here repeatedly, "Developmental psychology. LEARN IT." 

Wasn't Raising Olives part of a collective of 3 or 4 reformed mommy-bloggers or am I confusing this one?

57 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Wasn't Raising Olives part of a collective of 3 or 4 reformed mommy-bloggers or am I confusing this one?

Yes, they called themselves 4 moms, 35 kids and used to post or do a Q & A regularly.

ETA: How could I forget? LiaS's Kim was one of them.

I've read a lot of things in my time on FJ but what in the hog hell was that?!

These in particular got me like [emoji15]:

"Sometimes, simply stop what you are doing and look her right in the eye before she tries something, as if to say, "Make my day." If she asks for a showdown, give it to her and win. Do this with everything you tell her to do all day, as needed, and you will see a change, usually in short order."

"Yes, I spanked him. Over the next few years, he received more spankings than all the rest of my children put together. I never came close to breaking his spirit (and didn't want to)"

On 4/9/2016 at 10:56 AM, teachergirl said:

Well, they have changed their minds because two of her children are going to Tennessee and King College  which may be in PA 

King College is in Bristol TN. They're officially calling it King University now, but I'm sure that's what she means. I grew up in that town.

ETA: Oops, someone beat me to it! :)

Re: Tomato staking -- obviously the product of diseased minds. It's horrendous. 

Re: King College/University -- one of whose alumna is Mrs. Chancey of Africa.

I agree the whole sheltering thing isn't realistic or economically sustainable for most quiverfull families.

I had a hard time reading the tomato staking stuff. It sounded a lot like my early years, and, in my experience, it was completely fucked up. It pisses me off that these parents have such an extreme need for control and that they seem to see the child more as a reflection of themselves rather than their own person. So much wrong with that.

I'm glad for the children in this family that they seem to have been given some educational opportunities. Hopefully, they don't repeat the cycle. 

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Re: King College/University -- one of whose alumna is Mrs. Chancey of Africa.

A very atypical alum, for the record. King has always been relatively conservative but not at a Chancey level of wackiness. The reaction to her now from people who knew her during college generally seems to be bafflement.

ETA: I don't mean to sound like a leghumper for KC. King has plenty of problematic aspects. Intentionally churning out people like Jennie is not among them, however. I feel I can safely say Jennie is the way she is in spite of college, not because of it.

Archived