IGNORED

Counting On - Part 5: Ben Raps, We Cringe

choralcrusader8613

2 hours ago, paulypepper said:

I have "fear of street grates", but I ride my bike to work everyday..hehehe :pb_lol:

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of them, but I will make every effort to avoid walking over one.

A phobia thread would be awesome. I'm claustrophobic :D 

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, MyMilkshake said:

I wouldn't say I'm afraid of them, but I will make every effort to avoid walking over one.

A phobia thread would be awesome. I'm claustrophobic :D 

As a child I witnessed another child being stuck in a sidewalk grate until the fire-department came to extricate her.  She had been jumping rope and apparently a flaw in the grate let her foot and leg slip between the bars of the grate. (It was the sort that had bars in only one direction.) I don't know why it wouldn't let the leg out again -- probably the trauma to the leg sliding in made it get swollen.  All I remember is she couldn't get it out for what seemed a long time and that the grownup storied various things that didn't work before the fireman arrived.

I have always been very respectful of grates and worker-hole covers.

18 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Re: the Pioneer Woman: I read her blog when it was just a blog. She was funny, she seemed in awe of her fantastic ranch life, she seemed to be working hard to homeschool her kids in a coop.. all of a sudden, she's on television, and you start hearing how she seems so nice on the air, but go to the grocery store with her and see how she treats the people... and apparently not just people working, but her fans, too... and now she's Martha Stewart the Second and an entire corporation... Pioneer Woman got too big for her britches!

I find her blog tolerable (I mostly just look at the recipes- a lot of them remind me of things my grandmother cooked. My grandmother that lived through the Great Depression and World War II with eight kids and a dead husband. You know, that kind of food) but I can't watch her show. Her stilted, high voice reminds me so much of Michelle. That stupid baby voice, discomfort with being on TV, and the fact that it's obviously scripted and staged reminds me so much of the Duggar train wreck.

I have to agree with other posters that Ben actually seemed to be happy in the preview.  We haven't seen him this animated since the early courting episodes.

I think Ben really wants to be one of the cool kids.  He likely thought that he was becoming a reality star and found out that he just became a reality Duggar.  Finally  he got to hang out in a music studio and mess around with the cool guys.  He even seemed to enjoy playing with Spurge while he was there.  It was kinda sweet the way that he encouraged Spurge to be part of it.   

Jessa on the the other hand was waaaaayyyy out of her comfort zone.  The girl has a hard enough time talking with the producers that she's known for the last 10+ years and her own family members other than Jinger.  This episode just went from fun to snark at (Ben) to exposing the reality of the Duggars.

7 hours ago, eclairaupistache said:

I just wanted to say something about the last episodes: Joy did a course on how to clean a car on the inside? What, really?

I mean, people charge money for that and there are other people who are willing to pay for it?

Oh great: I could show people how to put plates in the dishwasher and get rich of it :-)

People pay for "detailing," which is a method of cleaning a car. I can't imagine there being a course on it, though. :pb_lol: I thought it was something you learned by experience, or--ya know--during the course of on-the-job training.

14 minutes ago, Mothership said:

I have to agree with other posters that Ben actually seemed to be happy in the preview.  We haven't seen him this animated since the early courting episodes.

I think Ben really wants to be one of the cool kids.  He likely thought that he was becoming a reality star and found out that he just became a reality Duggar.  Finally  he got to hang out in a music studio and mess around with the cool guys.  He even seemed to enjoy playing with Spurge while he was there.  It was kinda sweet the way that he encouraged Spurge to be part of it.   

Jessa on the the other hand was waaaaayyyy out of her comfort zone.  The girl has a hard enough time talking with the producers that she's known for the last 10+ years and her own family members other than Jinger.  This episode just went from fun to snark at (Ben) to exposing the reality of the Duggars.

Well, we'll see. If it makes him happy I hope he finds a way to make it happen. I have no idea if he has talent or not. 

I think JB and DQ would flip at the idea of Ben actually being a rapper, and Jessa being his side piece. 

Were Jessa's knees showing, or just almost showing because she was sitting down. I was SHOCKED and DEFRAUDED. 

Can someone tell me where I can find this preview?  Thanks.

1 minute ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Were Jessa's knees showing, or just almost showing because she was sitting down. I was SHOCKED and DEFRAUDED. 

Sit down, I'll bring you some smelling salts.

6 minutes ago, Carol said:

Can someone tell me where I can find this preview?  Thanks.

Sit down, I'll bring you some smelling salts.

Thanks, you are so kind. Chocolate would do nicely also. :my_smile:

I don't remember where the preview is. I saw it perhaps on TLC, or maybe there is a picture here of the defrauding knees. Can't remember. 

Lil Ben

Ben, The Creator

Dr. Ben

Busta Ben

Benyonce (not a rapper but IT WAS SO TEMPTING)

Ben Sweatshirt

Ben Loaf

i can't believe i actually did this

Confessing in advance--I don't have cable and hate the idea of paying to watch the Duggars, but I know I'm going to ignore my principles and cough up $1.99 for this one. 

I'm atoning in advance by putting extra in the collection box tomorrow.

I know we have moved on from last weeks episode, but I just now saw the part where Ben, Joe, Josiah and JD and some lady asked JD about his future plans when he thinks about family life.  His answer was perfect, spot-on ATI/Quiverful brainwashed Jim Boob .... he said one day the Lord would bring the right one along and he's start a family and hopefully be able to invest in their life and he would raise up a generation that will be great people for this society and then .... he starts tripping on his words.  Honestly, he couldn't get another word out.  It was weird. 

1 hour ago, doubleT said:

I know we have moved on from last weeks episode, but I just now saw the part where Ben, Joe, Josiah and JD and some lady asked JD about his future plans when he thinks about family life.  His answer was perfect, spot-on ATI/Quiverful brainwashed Jim Boob .... he said one day the Lord would bring the right one along and he's start a family and hopefully be able to invest in their life and he would raise up a generation that will be great people for this society and then .... he starts tripping on his words.  Honestly, he couldn't get another word out.  It was weird. 

I don't think JD (or any of the J'kidults for that matter) are able to imagine what life might be like without the pat ATI answers. They just say what the Wisdom Books or whatever say on the topic, and that's the end of the matter.

1 hour ago, patsymae said:

Confessing in advance--I don't have cable and hate the idea of paying to watch the Duggars, but I know I'm going to ignore my principles and cough up $1.99 for this one. 

If you are in the U.S., I think you can watch full episodes free on TLC's website. You just have to wait a few days or so after it airs.

I'm actually starting to feel kinda bad for Ben. He looked so happy and relaxed hanging out with some normal Christians whereas Jessa looked beyond uncomfortable. Honestly if Jessa doesn't start relaxing a bit I feel like that marriage is going to become super strained because Jessa will always be holding Ben back with her weird backwards views. 

i don't feel sorry for Ben at all - and that is coming from me

He is starting with the tshirts  - it's his new job I am telling you it's gonna go down from here 

Ben is just as weird as Jessa is just more so 

Looks like he has joined up with compel2come tshirts and such 

can we write letters telling them they are fools to partner with #theedgypreacher Not 

2 hours ago, patsymae said:

I support you :D

pay the $1.99 

I don't know if Jessa's awkwardness is due to her upbringing or if it's just her personality. I feel super out of place when I don't know anyone in a group of people so I can kind of get it. Hopefully she'll get more comfortable over time.

1 minute ago, ClaraOswin said:

I don't know if Jessa's awkwardness is due to her upbringing or if it's just her personality. I feel super out of place when I don't know anyone in a group of people so I can kind of get it. Hopefully she'll get more comfortable over time.

I am going to say both - her upbringing and her personality are just the surface of what is happening

9 hours ago, EyeQueue said:

People pay for "detailing," which is a method of cleaning a car. I can't imagine there being a course on it, though. :pb_lol: I thought it was something you learned by experience, or--ya know--during the course of on-the-job training.

Wouldn't that have meant that she was doing cleaning with some other men?  like as their apprentice.  That would not have gone over well with JB

5 hours ago, doubleT said:

Maybe it just occurred to him that he was saying nonsense

18 hours ago, Drala said:

Well, I'm downright excited about the snappin' tappin' See Dawg showing up on TLC this Tuesday.  Finally, there's a somewhat compelling story line about being a young fundie. Given Ben's artistic interests, I can see why he's hitched his boat to the reality TV gravy train.  He's very young and idealistic.  How exciting to jam with serious musicians.  I think I may have done the same thing when I was his age, but as Grace Slick said,  if you remember the '60s, you probably weren't there.:56247958035f1_32(18):

My question is, does Bin actually have any talent? Or is he rapping with Flame b/c Flame wants to be on tv? (I'm an over 50 white female, I have never heard of Flame outside of FJ.)

Re: dancing, in Jill's birthday letter to Israel, she mentioned he loved to dance to the music at church. That surprised me, but I was happy to see it. That and the fact that she is still nursing tell me that she and Derrick are making some family decisions on their own...that's a good thing. As far as Ben's friends...well, I imagine they are back in his hometown. I hope they are able to move away, at least for a while. Hey, I love being nearby family, but when you have a young couple just settling in, being under the watchful eye of the Duggar collective has got to be hard. They need some time to themselves.

That V Rose has a beautiful voice. When they are listening to her singing and Ben says, "The Philippians coming out", my closed caption read, "The Lesbians coming out"... 

9 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

If you are in the U.S., I think you can watch full episodes free on TLC's website. You just have to wait a few days or so after it airs.

Any advice for us poor souls outside the usa? its not popular enough for any of the torrent sites (not that i would ever use one...) :kitty-wink: and youtube isn't producing much joy either... perhaps the best bet is a masking VPN to look like i'm in the usa and stream it through the TLC site?

• choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived