Jump to content
IGNORED

Counting On - Part 5: Ben Raps, We Cringe


choralcrusader8613

Recommended Posts

choralcrusader8613

Next week, Ben Seewald is going to show the world his rapping abilities (or lack thereof). The girls try to contact Jill. More courtship teasing that says a whole lot of nothing.

So much drama! How will it be contained? :giggle:

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • nst

    57

  • lascuba

    37

  • Buzzard

    19

  • Ungodly Grandma

    17

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feel dumber and angrier for having watched this episode. I am going to probably get slammed by this but I am really tired of the black people need to be saved by the suburban white kid who is lookin

Are they kidding with this? *Israel* needs a haircut, but *Derrick* doesn't?!? Only one of them looks like a yeti, and it isn't Izzy!  

There's an appearance of crypto-racism in how Ben portrays his relationship with Flame that makes me uncomfortable. For one thing, I find it odd how much Ben overplays how close the two of them a

Posted Images

withaj
Quote

Oh, please. Some people might have a knack for it even without the exposure, but those are the exceptions. Did I strike a nerve or something? What's with the defensiveness on Ben's behalf?

Not rap, but here's a good example of being off rhythm and how Harry Connick, Jr. manages to correct the audience (notice how the drummer pumps his fists when it happens). If a whole damn audience presumably not filled with anti-music fundies can't find a beat, how is it presumptuous to assume that Ben won't be able to without someone leading him every step of the way?

@lascuba You are attributing a tone and motive to my post that is totally absent. I suggest you reread it:

Quote

Rhythm is more intuitive for some people than it is for others. Even if he wasn't raised with music with a beat, it's highly presumptuous to say that there's "no way" for him to even bob his head accurately to rap.

In no way was I defending Ben or any talent he might or might not have (I am personally in the 'not' camp) -- it isn't even a comment specifically about Ben. I simply stated that it was presumptuous to generalize that someone raised with limited exposure to music couldn't possibly identify or feel a beat.

Quote

Generally humans have an innate sense of rhythmic pulse, the heart beat being the most basic example. And worldwide, drums or percussive instruments are the most common expression of music across cultures. So most people can recognize or feel a beat.

@LittleSpouseOnThePrairie Thank you. This is what I was trying to get at.

  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
Carol
22 minutes ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Next week, Ben Seewald is going to show the world his rapping abilities (or lack thereof). The girls try to contact Jill. More courtship teasing that says a whole lot of nothing.

So much drama! How will it be contained? :giggle:

Be still my heart.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
season of life

I really just want to see a clip of Ben and his terrible rapping. I can't believe I'm this keyed up at the thought of seeing an immature boy rap. However, nothing is worth sitting through that boring show.

What's up with the Pioneer Woman, by the way? I heard some people comment that they used to follow her blog but she became unbearable.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
CreationMuseumSeasonPass
Just now, nst said:

jessa looks so uncomfortable around Flame and his friends

in the newest promo

That was my thought exactly! I guess we'll see more when the full scene airs on Tuesday. I recently re-watched the first 14 Kids special, and the entire time I was watching the sneak peak, I thought, how does this mesh with the girl who was raised on old gospel songs and not allowed to dance? She must have felt like a stranger in a strange land.

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

That was my thought exactly! I guess we'll see more when the full scene airs on Tuesday. I recently re-watched the first 14 Kids special, and the entire time I was watching the sneak peak, I thought, how does this mesh with the girl who was raised on old gospel songs and not allowed to dance? She must have felt like a stranger in a strange land.

and that is why it wont work this storyline 

it's already over - but to make her sit there and pretend to be into it when she clearly can't handle it just goes to show that she is not as evolved and it is going to be again obvious and make her look bad

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
CreationMuseumSeasonPass

I want to see her attempts at communication during the studio scenes, or at least any real interaction with the musical artists. We get her thoughts in the talking heads, but I wonder if she really just sat there uncomfortably the entire time. Ben was definitely the talker, but then again, he's also the headship.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

I want to see her attempts at communication during the studio scenes, or at least any real interaction with the musical artists. We get her thoughts in the talking heads, but I wonder if she really just sat there uncomfortably the entire time. Ben was definitely the talker, but then again, he's also the headship.

her attempts at communicating with people are not very good.  She can barely communicate with her older sister and her sister in law.

 Yes, these people took a picture having dinner but I doubt she enjoyed it or did it again 


she will just sit there and stare blankly and then when Ben will rap she will put her hand over her mouth laughing at him. 

They can try and put Jessa in situations ie normal situations - but she will come across as a sheltered pretty girl who has no clue who just stares at her husband.  

  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
withaj
11 minutes ago, season of life said:

What's up with the Pioneer Woman, by the way? I heard some people comment that they used to follow her blog but she became unbearable.

Well, it used to be a blog. Now it's a whole bloody corporation, feels like.

  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
Four is Enough

Re: the Pioneer Woman: I read her blog when it was just a blog. She was funny, she seemed in awe of her fantastic ranch life, she seemed to be working hard to homeschool her kids in a coop.. all of a sudden, she's on television, and you start hearing how she seems so nice on the air, but go to the grocery store with her and see how she treats the people... and apparently not just people working, but her fans, too... and now she's Martha Stewart the Second and an entire corporation... Pioneer Woman got too big for her britches!

 

ETA" AFA Bin rapping, I just can not.

 

ETA Again to say, there ARE people in this world with absolutely no sense of rhythm. Mr. Four is one of them. His siblings are four more such people. Mr. Four and I took ballroom dancing lessons... easiest thing in the world to learn... he could not do it.

Edited by Four is Enough
  • Upvote 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
lascuba
9 minutes ago, season of life said:

I really just want to see a clip of Ben and his terrible rapping. I can't believe I'm this keyed up at the thought of seeing an immature boy rap. However, nothing is worth sitting through that boring show.

What's up with the Pioneer Woman, by the way? I heard some people comment that they used to follow her blog but she became unbearable.

I used to loosely follow her blog, mostly for the pictures and anecdotes of ranch life. She was mostly just cheesy fun that I grew bored with. Whether she got cheesier or my tastes changed, I don't know. She's just very, every affected in everything she does. The "Oh My Rhonda!" stuff, etc. And then when you think about some messed up stuff she's said...a post about how she's glad she's allowed to say the word "retarded" because her brother's a "retard." The really iffy stuff about race, including the incredibly fucked up "funny" story about how her husband's ancestor cheated Native Americans by stealing water rights.  And then when you learn she's married to the richest landowning family in Oklahoma but her whole schtick is being a "city" girl stuck on a working ranch being so busy with homeschooling, ranching, etc. when she has private tutors, several paid employees working on her blog, etc. it all completely loses it's charm. Speaking of homeschooling, there was this huge bust up shortly after I stopped reading the blog, where her readers flat out attacked a secular homeschooler who guest blogged for PW. Ree let it happen because she didn't want to piss off her Christian base. 

  • Upvote 18
Link to post
Share on other sites
Cleopatra7
41 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

That was my thought exactly! I guess we'll see more when the full scene airs on Tuesday. I recently re-watched the first 14 Kids special, and the entire time I was watching the sneak peak, I thought, how does this mesh with the girl who was raised on old gospel songs and not allowed to dance? She must have felt like a stranger in a strange land.

The only music Jessa has been exposed to appears to have been nineteenth century hymns. Even country gospel is probably too "worldly" for Gothardites because it sometimes involves rhythm and guitars.

  • Upvote 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
Lillybee
40 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

Re: the Pioneer Woman: I read her blog when it was just a blog. She was funny, she seemed in awe of her fantastic ranch life, she seemed to be working hard to homeschool her kids in a coop.. all of a sudden, she's on television, and you start hearing how she seems so nice on the air, but go to the grocery store with her and see how she treats the people... and apparently not just people working, but her fans, too... and now she's Martha Stewart the Second and an entire corporation... Pioneer Woman got too big for her britches!

 

ETA" AFA Bin rapping, I just can not.

 

ETA Again to say, there ARE people in this world with absolutely no sense of rhythm. Mr. Four is one of them. His siblings are four more such people. Mr. Four and I took ballroom dancing lessons... easiest thing in the world to learn... he could not do it.

The thing with the PW is that she has a mostly cooking show and her recipes are not that good. A lot of them seem to be cribbed from old church cookbooks. She even has a recipe for chickenetti which is pretty much the same as Anna's down to the cream of crap soup.

  • Upvote 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
quiverofdoubt

Maybe Ben has a good sense of rhythm, good voice and natural talent. But it takes more than that to become a serious musician. A love for music in general, with a broad taste and knowledge of genres. An understanding of the history of music, especially in terms of rap. It has a long history wrapped up civil rights, black history and slavery.  

Legit musicians listen to and love many kinds of music, understand their craft from an academic level as well as aesthetic level. They sample other songs and musicians and genres inside their own work. 

Even if bens upbringing was more loose about their music rules I don't see them teaching their kids about the history of rap, hip hop, rock, or even folk songs. 

Imagining a fundie listening to gangsters paradise on repeat in order to analyze it on many levels is breaking my brain. 

If he wants to be taken seriously by anybody then he needs to take the craft seriously and not just spout a few semi musical lines about Jesus. 

  • Upvote 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
sophie10130
38 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I used to loosely follow her blog, mostly for the pictures and anecdotes of ranch life. She was mostly just cheesy fun that I grew bored with. Whether she got cheesier or my tastes changed, I don't know. She's just very, every affected in everything she does. The "Oh My Rhonda!" stuff, etc. And then when you think about some messed up stuff she's said...a post about how she's glad she's allowed to say the word "retarded" because her brother's a "retard." The really iffy stuff about race, including the incredibly fucked up "funny" story about how her husband's ancestor cheated Native Americans by stealing water rights.  And then when you learn she's married to the richest landowning family in Oklahoma but her whole schtick is being a "city" girl stuck on a working ranch being so busy with homeschooling, ranching, etc. when she has private tutors, several paid employees working on her blog, etc. it all completely loses it's charm. Speaking of homeschooling, there was this huge bust up shortly after I stopped reading the blog, where her readers flat out attacked a secular homeschooler who guest blogged for PW. Ree let it happen because she didn't want to piss off her Christian base. 

Holy shit and wtf??? I never really liked her because I'm not really into white ladies doing the whole Rural Charm thing, but my sister in law is OBSESSED with her and all she wanted for Christmas was her kitchen stuff from Wal-Mart. We unfortunately got her for Secret Santa and I was mad I had to go to Wal-Mart but now my anger is renewed!

  • Upvote 11
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
MarblesMom

I found her blog MANY years ago when I was searching for "fear of street grates" - apparently she and I share that fear.  (We can start a separate thread about phobias, if there is not one already!)

Once I started poking around on her blog (this had to be pre-2007), it seemed to be mostly lovely photography (that was a big focus for her at the time) documenting her kids on the ranch.  She did take some fantastic photos.  Recipes seemed like a side gig.   (And none of hers were impressive to me.)

Next thing I know, she is huge - and her original claim on the blog of something akin to a  "lil ole me, raising kids out here with the cows theme" (my interpretation, not a quote from her blog) - -  seems like utter BS now.

 

  • Upvote 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
ClaraOswin
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

I used to loosely follow her blog, mostly for the pictures and anecdotes of ranch life. She was mostly just cheesy fun that I grew bored with. Whether she got cheesier or my tastes changed, I don't know. She's just very, every affected in everything she does. The "Oh My Rhonda!" stuff, etc. And then when you think about some messed up stuff she's said...a post about how she's glad she's allowed to say the word "retarded" because her brother's a "retard." The really iffy stuff about race, including the incredibly fucked up "funny" story about how her husband's ancestor cheated Native Americans by stealing water rights.  And then when you learn she's married to the richest landowning family in Oklahoma but her whole schtick is being a "city" girl stuck on a working ranch being so busy with homeschooling, ranching, etc. when she has private tutors, several paid employees working on her blog, etc. it all completely loses it's charm. Speaking of homeschooling, there was this huge bust up shortly after I stopped reading the blog, where her readers flat out attacked a secular homeschooler who guest blogged for PW. Ree let it happen because she didn't want to piss off her Christian base. 

I have never heard of this woman or her blog (I guess I live under a rock.) But what you said makes me NEVER want to read anything she writes. Blech!

------

Ben seemed really happy hanging out with the rappers. Jessa looked out of place and uncomfortable. And during the TH when Ben was talking about it all, Jessa looked bored/annoyed.

Christian music isn't really my thing. Nor is rap. But these people clearly have some talent.

The tiny clip we heard of Ben singing on the other preview was BAD. I hope we get to hear more. :)

Is Jessa musical at all? I can only recall seeing her with the group but I don't know if she has a good singing voice or talent with any instruments.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
GoneDownTheRabbitHole

It was kind of nice to see that Ben is capable of conjuring up some semblance of emotion/happiness in that preview. Agreed that Jessa looks really uncomfortable and out of place. Why did she and the Spurge need to go with him to the studio? Seemed like it was more of his thing. They are all such duds!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
PecanThief

LOL did anyone else see in the promo when Ben starts to nod along to the music and then looks over to where Jessa is sitting and immediately stops. 

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
Julifornia
2 hours ago, PecanThief said:

LOL did anyone else see in the promo when Ben starts to nod along to the music and then looks over to where Jessa is sitting and immediately stops. 

So is "head-dancing" banned too?  How about toe-tappin'?

  • Upvote 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
season of life

I had no clue it was this bad. I just thought she was a lady playing up the rancher's wife image. Fame got to her, I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
nastyhobbitses

Can we start coming up with rapper monikers for Ben?

Notorious B.E.N.

Beninem

Jay-D (since I'm guessing that he and Jessa are gunning to be the white fundie answer to Bey and Jay)

Childish Grift-bino

  • Upvote 32
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



  • Recent Status Updates

    • CyborgKin

      CyborgKin

      I was today years old when I realised Harpo is Oprah backwards.
      · 0 replies
    • WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

      WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

      And now, a follow up to yesterday's status update. 
      Which brings this to mind...
       
      · 1 reply
    • Destiny

      Destiny

      We've hit the point where we have had to start turning shit off to keep the site alive. Apologies for the fuckery. 
      · 3 replies
    • GreyhoundFan

      GreyhoundFan

      I like this artist's work. Her name is Gemma Correll.


      · 0 replies
    • Sky with diamonds

      Sky with diamonds

      Today marks two years since my father passed away...hard to believe 😢. 
      · 2 replies
    • K'Z'K

      K'Z'K

      I got a webcam. Plugged it in. Did some tests. I managed to have it on and pointing at me for several seconds before the panic started. I look like shit on camera, but I'm guessing that everyone without professional makeup and lighting does, plus it's a basic low-def camera, so even the pros wouldn't look great. My living room has nothing embarrassing in the background, though if I angle it just right my zombie aardvark painting* is visible.
      Next step: Zoom meeting with my housemate (who is well aware of my issues and really good at just letting me deal with it my way). But not today. I've done more than enough for today. Back into the box the blasted thing goes.
       
      *Zombie aardvark painting: https://www.deviantart.com/thedarkcloak/art/Zombie-Aardvark-413059923   I sent the high-resolution file to a print shop and had it printed on canvas, then got it framed. It looks amazing. I paid far too little for it, so if I ever find myself flush with cash, I'll give the artist a very belated tip.
      · 1 reply
    • Destiny

      Destiny

      Leverage: Redemption has a trailer and release date, and really, this is everything for me right now. I'M SMILING SO BIG!!!!!!!!!
      · 0 replies
    • WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

      WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

      It's that time of year again! (Hint:      )
      Or, the Sandra Boynton version.
      It's nice to keep up the little celebrations. 
      · 2 replies
    • klein_roeschen

      klein_roeschen

      Got my first dose of the Biontech Pfizer vaccine today, yeah
      · 1 reply
    • Audrey2

      Audrey2

      Another piece of my childhood, Bobby Unser, passed away. His younger brother, Big Al, and nephew, Little Al are still around. They are part of a well-known IndyCar racing family.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.