IGNORED

Game of Thrones Season 6

Anny Nym

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

So now, theon's brother is a lesbian. Just like that, for the shock value. I am so done with watching boobs on this show

Brother?  

1 hour ago, Tikobaby said:

Brother?  

I didn't even catch that lol.

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

So... no one is discussing the stabbing??? 

Spoiler

She really is no one. Alone, wet, in the streets, blood. No one even notices or cares. How depressing. Previews though so I can't get too worked up about it  yet. 

Sorry, I forgot we can't reply with one word, as in my post above of  "Brother?". I should have posted that I didn't know Theon had a brother who was a lesbian.  Being a lesbian isn't really  much in the way of shock value these days, is it?  I'm not shocked Yara is up for enjoying some female company...have been hoping for it.  :my_shy:

I mean, of course it would be shocking if your brother told you he was a lesbian :pb_lol: (i didn't catch it either)

What i meant, in the books is quite a big deal her being straight, just like Brienne. This feels like hey, let's throw a lesbian character, just like that. 

I mean, of course it would be shocking if your brother told you he was a lesbian :pb_lol: (i didn't catch it either)

What i meant, in the books is quite a big deal her being straight, just like Brienne. This feels like hey, let's throw a lesbian character, just like that. 

I haven't read the books.  Are there a lot of differences between the books and the show?

58 minutes ago, Tikobaby said:

I haven't read the books.  Are there a lot of differences between the books and the show?

She is called Asha in the books. So pretty much everything with her. The Dorne storyline is completly different, they want to make Myrcella the queen of westeros instead of her brother. Sansa is supposed to marry the heir of the vale right after her cousin robin dies (he is a sick kid, is bound to happen), who they marry to ramsay k  the books is a fake Arya, jeyne poole. Rob was betrayed by his wife's family at the red wedding, she wasn't pregnant and they wanted to marry her to someone else.

And the most important thing, the white walkers are only refered as so by the wildlings, they are called the others.

The key points are pretty much the same, but the details can vary a lot

2 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

She is called Asha in the books. So pretty much everything with her. The Dorne storyline is completly different, they want to make Myrcella the queen of westeros instead of her brother. Sansa is supposed to marry the heir of the vale right after her cousin robin dies (he is a sick kid, is bound to happen), who they marry to ramsay k  the books is a fake Arya, jeyne poole. Rob was betrayed by his wife's family at the red wedding, she wasn't pregnant and they wanted to marry her to someone else.

And the most important thing, the white walkers are only refered as so by the wildlings, they are called the others.

The key points are pretty much the same, but the details can vary a lot

Sounds like there are a lot of differences!  Can see why book fans might be wondering why they change so much detail.  I've got character crushes on  Brienne and Yara and was leaning towards hoping they might be gay...didn't really think Brienne was, though. Was pleased with the Yara scene no matter what happens in the future.  

I can only see the current season in little pieces on Y. Tube since we don't have cable. We buy the seaons on blu-ray so I'm always way behind with it. Thanks for the info on how it is in the books.  :my_shy:

3 hours ago, Tikobaby said:

Yes. So much of GRRM's writing is "world building." Book one is pretty close to season one of the show. After that it changes exponentially. There are characters in the books that aren't in the show. Characters are killed on the show that aren't dead (yet) in the books. Some storylines got combined, some got cut completely. There is a lot more story in the books. 

If you want specifics: 

Spoiler

Yara is called Asha (which was changed because Asha sounds like Osha, and TV people think their audiences are stupid and would be confused.) Asha is straight, I think. She does turn down a marriage proposal. She's also competent and wants to make peace with the North. She flees after Euron wins the Seastone Chair and Euron marries her (using a seal to represent her) to the head of House Ironmaker, who is 88. 

House Martell is descended from Nymeria, a princess of the Rhoynar people. Nymeria led her people from Essos and it's a tragic story in, I think, the book "A World of Ice and Fire." As such, the titles and houses pass to the eldest child regardless of sex. This is why when they have the Princess Myrcella, they feel that they can challenge King Tommen's rule. Myrcella being older and all. The Sand Snakes all have different mothers and there are more of them. One is in Oldtown. The show was really dumb about Dorne, IMO. A lot of wasted characters and plot points. 

More stuff happens in the North. Mance Rayder isn't dead. There's another baby. 

Shireen isn't dead (yet) in the books. She's got this creepy friend called "patchface" who has a sad backstory. Patchface also has weird riddles that are prophetic. 

When Lady Stark (Catelyn) made the deal with the Freys (back in season one) she made a match for Robb and Arya, and took two Frey boys on as wards. These boys went to Winterfell and have minor roles. 

Tyrion hasn't made it to Dany yet, he was in a mummer's troop for a bit, and a slave for awhile. He met another dwarf named Penny. 

There's another Greyjoy uncle. There's also Yara's uncle on her mother's side, called "the reader." 

I could probably do this all day. 

thanks maggie, i always like reading/hearing about differences between the series and the books. i want to read the books at some point, but my to-read list is so long...

also, if anyone is interested, comicbookgirl19 on youtube does episode and season breakdowns of the show, and she discusses differences between the books and the show (as much as possible without spoiling book things). she's also done more in-depth histories of a few of the houses as well, like lannister and baratheon (i can't remember the others). she also has a bomb-ass map of westeros she uses when referencing places, so it's cool to see exactly where things are playing out.

52 minutes ago, browncoatslytherin said:

thanks maggie, i always like reading/hearing about differences between the series and the books. i want to read the books at some point, but my to-read list is so long...

also, if anyone is interested, comicbookgirl19 on youtube does episode and season breakdowns of the show, and she discusses differences between the books and the show (as much as possible without spoiling book things). she's also done more in-depth histories of a few of the houses as well, like lannister and baratheon (i can't remember the others). she also has a bomb-ass map of westeros she uses when referencing places, so it's cool to see exactly where things are playing out.

The books are long. I ended up lending my audiobooks to my coworker because she didn't want to take the time to read them, but she listens to books at work. I rarely end up being able to listen to books at work anymore, I need more concentration :/.  

I also had to read the books twice, as there are hundreds of characters and places and so much of his writing becomes more obvious on the second read. Some of the "theories" that people post aren't what I would consider theories at all. Just writing that has to be looked at a big more. We've seen so much of what happened with the Targaryens and almost all of that dynasty is dead. 

Spoiler

Book 4 - A Feast for Crows is often called "weak" or "boring" but I think it's a really grim look at the realities of the aftermath of war. Brienne's story, especially, shows the effects that the war had on the smallfolk. The last episode of the show had the title but not the speech of the Elder Brother at the Quiet Isle. There's also a bunch of Cersei chapters that are just so paranoid. She starts to turn into Robert. She drinks too much, she gains weight, she abuses her staff and rapes a woman. 

A lot of the character's ages in the books are different, as well. The children are children. Bran and Tommen are 7. Arya is 9. Robb and Jon are 14 or 15. Theon is 19. Catelyn and Ned are in their early 30s. Walder Frey is still ancient. Rickon, I think, is 4. GRRM even said that he sort of made a mistake with the ages in the books. Dany is 13 when she "falls in love" with the 28 year old Khal Drogo who is raping her. She was a baby when she and Viserys fled Dragonstone. 

And the violence on the show isn't anything compared to the violence in the books. I still shudder at some of the things that the Mountain and his men did. And the Bloody Mummers. Ugh. Yuck. 

The other thing about the books is that each chapter is a different point of view. Each POV is biased and somewhat unreliable. There's a scene that is recalled differently by two different characters that were there. 

The world of Westeros is violent and terrible. But for some reason I really like the world that he built. Not that I want to live there. Just that there is so much information and background it feels "real." Also there's more magic in the books. 

I, for one, subscribe to the theory that Arya is either the waif or she took another face to pretend to be killed. 

I, for one, subscribe to the theory that Arya is either the waif or she took another face to pretend to be killed. 

i hope this is the case! now that i'm all caught up, i have to wait for episodes...-.-

I liked the surprise character who is back.  And now...

Spoiler

What about the Dog? Will he revenge against his brother? Will he revenge against Arya or he would understand her decision of leaving him? They were a great couple (I mean in a friendly way).

Why isn't Melisandre helping Jon with her powers? I bet their coming battle against Boltons will be a disaster for the Starks.

Why isn't Melisandre helping Jon with her powers? I bet their coming battle against Boltons will be a disaster for the Starks.

i personally can't wait until ser davos finds out about shireen. i don't think melisandre will live too much longer after that.

8 hours ago, browncoatslytherin said:

i personally can't wait until ser davos finds out about shireen. i don't think melisandre will live too much longer after that.

Well, she's a kind of witch, maybe she can't die. I suppose the scene when she looked old has to had some connection with future situations. For me, Shireen death was too cruel even for GoT. 

Well, she's a kind of witch, maybe she can't die. I suppose the scene when she looked old has to had some connection with future situations. For me, Shireen death was too cruel even for GoT. 

yeah, that was definitely one of the worst. :'(

is anyone else slightly disappointed that we didn't get to see drogon burning all the masters ships?

A bit on Drogon burning the ships.  Dany waltzing in was a bit anti-climatic (and I figured it was her).

And woot Arya of Winterfell has her mojo back.  

I might have chuckled a bit when the ability of Cercesi to get out of her kerfuffle via combat was cut off.  

Has anyone else considered the parallels thematically between the House of Black and White versus the God (?) of Light (and automatic Dark offset)?

On 6/13/2016 at 9:07 AM, clueliss said:

A bit on Drogon burning the ships.  Dany waltzing in was a bit anti-climatic (and I figured it was her).

And woot Arya of Winterfell has her mojo back.  

I might have chuckled a bit when the ability of Cercesi to get out of her kerfuffle via combat was cut off.  

Has anyone else considered the parallels thematically between the House of Black and White versus the God (?) of Light (and automatic Dark offset)?

I think her stabbing recovery was a little quick though! unless it just wasn't as deep as we thought (padding, etc).

BATTLE OF THE BASTARDS.... yasss.

Spoiler

Davos finding Shireen's pyre and the toy he carved for her was worse for me than seeing Rickon take a hit. Lbr, Rickon was pretty useless. Wun-Wun falling hurt me a lot more than his.

I was scared for Tormund the whole time (I totally ship Tormund/Brienne) but he was a BEAST at the end. 

And I never was a fan of Sansa the entire series. But tonight, she was a queen. Though, I kind of wanted to see a "he who passes the sentence swings the sword" moment and have her take his head off. But that was a very justified way for Shitstain Ramsey to go. 

A moment of levity, though - I nearly died at Yara's "Well, I'm up for anything." comment regarding marriage :D 

I didn't watched it yet but I've been lurking internet for an spoiler. I couldn't wait! And now I'm willing to watch it.

Spoiler

I thought Ramsay would win this time and Starks would hide and prepare a revenge in season 7. But I'm happy I was wrong.

HBO gave me a temporary heat attack because the HBO Now app went belly up when I tried to watch.  No worries since I amused myself with something else, tried later and all was fine. 

Thoughts

Spoiler

I was right!!!  I was right!!!!  (meaning, I knew Sansa sent a message to LittleFinger.  I just kept chanting "do the right thing" there toward the bleak end of the battle.  I cheered when that horn sounded. 

The way they filmed the battle did a wonderful job of showing the in-battle confusion.  And showing that it was luck that got Jon through that.  (although there were plenty of oh shit moments that had me fearing for his life).  And the scariest moment for me regarding Jon was when he fell, and people began trampling him. 
I felt that Ramsey going the way he did was fitting.

Finding that wooden deer gave me the sads.  I thought 'he knows.'  and "someone's going to get it later." 

There be dragons!  Mad dragons.  Shooting fire.  Although in comparison to Battle of the Bastards it sort of paled. 

I had a hard time with geography and I kind of missed the significance of the wooden deer.

Spoiler

GOT509_121114_HS__DSC3600%5B1%5D.jpg

I'm trying to figure out why that was brought back in such a noticeable way.  I'm sure it makes a point, I just dont know what it is.

Archived