IGNORED

Bates Family Part 14 - Party in Pink

samurai_sarah

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let them buy cake (but not eat it, just very publicly smash it in a manifestation and wasteful destruction of wealth highlighting how darn rich they are; a gesture that might seem appealing to someone who grew up in a 21-person household with no fixed income but has recently come into money.)

Hold on many people do smash cakes, my family included, it is fairly cheap to make a cake! It's also known that the Bates have always worked! He has a tree service and he has a church! You need to research before you make accusations!

Alyssa probably ordered the cake from Publix, and if so, the smash cake was free.  My friend's kid just had his first birthday and the cake came from Publix and she mentioned it.

I'll judge them for a lot, but not the cake which is something tons of families do.  There's pics of me with frosting in my hair and cake everywhere from my first birthday.

Sorry fam, I'm a hungry hoe and grieving for that perfectly good cake brutally beaten by tiny baby fists!

19 minutes ago, what the heck said:

Hold on many people do smash cakes, my family included, it is fairly cheap to make a cake! It's also known that the Bates have always worked! He has a tree service and he has a church! You need to research before you make accusations!

Perhaps you should do a little more research.  

Prior to hitting the jackpot of UnReality TV Gil Bates owned a tree service that was insufficient to provide for the whole family.  He started his own church quite recently.  He gave up a decent job with Nabisco when he went down the rabbit hole.

Gil Bates is rather famous here for his ability to grift  solicit donations from others.  Off the top of my head, the Duggars gave them a bus and he even admitted borrowing money from his son, Lawson, to pay for groceries.  I hope he paid it back.  I also hope they paid all their ER bills.  They rather famously used ER for all their medical needs because they didn't have health insurance. That had to have added up with Kelly's more difficult deliveries.  I'm sure others can come up with more examples of Gil's talent for living off others.

Getting cake all over the baby is a common element of a 1st birthday party.  My sister ordered a good (bakery) cake for everyone and gave each of my nieces a cupcake of their own to smash.  There are photos of my sister and me doing the same at age 1.

I'm generally not a fan of smashing cakes (I HATE the very common wedding photo where the couple is smashing cake in each other's faces).  But I'll give a baby a pass.  At younger niece's birthday, my sister's MIL mentioned that no first birthday party is not complete without the kid messing with a cake.

There are photos of Bradley's first birthday where he's got cake all over him and it wasn't mentioned.  

Love the thread title, esp. since I think that Alyssa would have really liked to attend a prom as well.

I think it is interesting a homemade cake wasn't done. I remember for my son's first birthday making a lion rainbow cake. It was supposed to be a monkey cake, but the pan didn't come in time [emoji20]. My kitchen was wrecked and a friend of ours had to step in and help decorate the cake. Let's just say first experience using a piping bag and I had a learning curve. Mind you at the time I was working full time and going to school part time. My son loved his piece of cake and I figured it was more economical to make the cake. After that birthday though I have only done a homemade cake for him one other time to save my sanity. All of this to say, the people who espouse domesticated pursuits didn't make a cake. A side note not related to the party; has anyone wondered why Michaela was the only one who's attended an accredited college so far? I just find it curious since for the others Crown college was the option given. One would think she would have gone this route considering how she is presented and how she presents herself.

46 minutes ago, what the heck said:

... It is way too early to be dealing with this type of misinformation. 

Read the post by @Palimpsest- it's accurate and informative. Then please find a sense of humor - @nickelodeonwas clearly making a joke. 

49 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

I wish I could have a birthday like Allie's and I'm 25.

I turn 28 next month and I would absolutely love to have a small cake I could just smash my face into without having to share it.

... Forks are for the weak! :pb_lol:

The decorating scheme, crown/tiara, tutu, all just add up to something so frilly and pink (and clashing shades of it, too!)  it makes me puke in my mouth a little. BUT -- it's not my baby, it's not my party, I can't cry if I want to, and this is neither my circus nor my monkeys. Hell, I am a grown woman who bought sheets in the little boy aisle at Target because Mr. Keeper and I deserve dinosaur sheets, and I'm sure many would grimace at that. 

@what the heck, perhaps it's worth digging into the Bates archives to see just how deep the family's deception runs. This includes misrepresenting their finances, though that's really just the tip of a very questionable iceberg. 

1 hour ago, what the heck said:

It's also known that the Bates have always worked! He has a tree service and he has a church! You need to research before you make accusations!

HAHAHAHA! :laughing-rolling: Good one, what the heck. Good one!

1 hour ago, actuallyjessica said:

I wish I could have a birthday like Allie's and I'm 25.

Same here. I have to admit that I love tutus. It would be my dream birthday to wear a tutu, smash a cake and get drunk while doing all this. Maybe this year...

20 minutes ago, Pianokeeper said:

The decorating scheme, crown/tiara, tutu, all just add up to something so frilly and pink (and clashing shades of it, too!)  it makes me puke in my mouth a little. BUT -- it's not my baby, it's not my party, I can't cry if I want to, and this is neither my circus nor my monkeys. Hell, I am a grown woman who bought sheets in the little boy aisle at Target because Mr. Keeper and I deserve dinosaur sheets, and I'm sure many would grimace at that. 

@what the heck, perhaps it's worth digging into the Bates archives to see just how deep the family's deception runs. This includes misrepresenting their finances, though that's really just the tip of a very questionable iceberg. 

I have pink flannel cat sheets on my bed from the little girl aisle at Target.   My bedding does not have a single trace of beige in it (quilt is a pink/purple/blue/aqua patchwork) and that would get snarked on by some here as immature due to the lack of neutrals.  My towels are also colors that belong in a 'college dorm' based on some previous comments here. here's nothing wrong or immature about me, I just happen to hate beige and brown and don't see anything wrong with fun colors.  (I just turned 36). 

As for the tutus--- they're very trendy right now for that age group.  My nieces (1.5, 3.5) have several and LOVE them.  For the older one, the frillier the better.

I think decorated/themed parties are so great for kids, maybe  because i never had one (i did have fantastic birthday parties, but my mom was not into decoration, i remember going to ones that were decorated and being so envious lol). Maybe its too pink, but she is a baby still and is not like she would have an opinion, so the party its mostly for the parents anyway, Alyssa is obviously a very girly girl.

@19catsandcounting I just know that they work and questioning somebody for use of a cake isn't a big deal! I personality don't see how digging into their finances is going to benefit anyone. I think it's stupid and I won't do it. There are plenty of ways I'd rather spend my time!

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Love the thread title, esp. since I think that Alyssa would have really liked to attend a prom as well.

When she was planning her wedding we did speculate on how much Alyssa would have rocked at prom committee.

6 minutes ago, what the heck said:

@19catsandcounting I just know that they work and questioning somebody for use of a cake isn't a big deal! I personality don't see how digging into their finances is going to benefit anyone. I think it's stupid and I won't do it. There are plenty of ways I'd rather spend my time!

@what the heck, why exactly are you here?

10 minutes ago, what the heck said:

I never dug into their finances.  YOu must be confusing me with someone else.

ETA there's also someone else with a very similar screen name (no spaces) that is similar to mine, but I haven't seen he/she post on this tread.

I'm asking myself that same question. As soon as I can figure out how to close my account I will leave! 

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Getting cake all over the baby is a common element of a 1st birthday party.  My sister ordered a good (bakery) cake for everyone and gave each of my nieces a cupcake of their own to smash.  There are photos of my sister and me doing the same at age 1.

I'm generally not a fan of smashing cakes (I HATE the very common wedding photo where the couple is smashing cake in each other's faces).  But I'll give a baby a pass.  At younger niece's birthday, my sister's MIL mentioned that no first birthday party is not complete without the kid messing with a cake.

There are photos of Bradley's first birthday where he's got cake all over him and it wasn't mentioned.  

Oh, I understand letting kids get cake all over them. Babies general cover themselves with food at that age, I just don't get the trend of buying an entire cake for a baby to play with. It seems to be a recent trend, at least in my area. Even when my oldest daughter was a baby it was rare for people to purchase or bake an entire cake for the kid to play in, they gave a cupcake or a slice of cake. Much like gender reveal parties, I think this is a trend I will never understand. 

2 minutes ago, what the heck said:

I'm asking myself that same question. As soon as I can figure out how to close my account I will leave! 

Just send a PM to an Admin and ask to be deactivated if you no longer want to participate here.

Just now, what the heck said:

This isn't a Bates fan club, we do things like point out that Gil has a long history of not really working and grifting his way through life. The reason they have so much money now is that he is exploiting his children on television. And I haven't seen the digging into finances thing. His lack of a steady income is discussed because he brags about how he raised all these kids without having to have a regular income. He has a whole video about his grifting that you can purchase through IBLP. A member here watched it once and it was basically that Gil and Kelly kept popping out kids knowing they didn't have a regular income and they just expected that people would give them money and items. And he didn't worry about medical insurance, he just took his kids to the ER if they got sick because the hospital had to treat them.  

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Oh, I understand letting kids get cake all over them. Babies general cover themselves with food at that age, I just don't get the trend of buying an entire cake for a baby to play with. It seems to be a recent trend, at least in my area. Even when my oldest daughter was a baby it was rare for people to purchase or bake an entire cake for the kid to play in, they gave a cupcake or a slice of cake. Much like gender reveal parties, I think this is a trend I will never understand. 

I think someone mentioned above that Publix gives a free smash cake.  I've never been to one, but I understand it is THE grocery store in FL.  If that is the case, I'll give them a pass.

I put gender reveal parties up there with posting photos of every meal you eat on Instagram.  I don't get the trend, never will and hope it goes away soon.  I blame Pinterest on a lot of these things.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived