IGNORED

The Amazing Atheist

CinderJana

Guys like these give atheists a bad name. My rule is that people's religious beliefs should be respected as all they aren't harmful to or others The Amazing Atheist has long crossed that line. I don't know where to begin with this guy is that hypocritical anti-feminist antisocial-justice antisocial service anti-pretty much anything unless it suits his needs. He shares a lot in common with the other extremists here of course here's a pretty good rundown of his issues.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/TheAmazingAtheist

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/camelswithhammers/2012/02/the-amazing-rape-promoting-atheist/

Believes the age of consent should be lowered to 12 or 13? I'm afraid...

"My stance is not designed to be controversial or to offend anyone."

Spoiler

Its such a shame that so many vocal, "celebrity" atheists are hardcore misogynists. I'm on reddit and I remember when some horrid shit went down with the Amazing Atheist where he taunted a sexual assault survivor. It was revolting. 

• 2 weeks later...

He's got lots of subscribers on Youtube. I was on Reddit and he came up on a thread about awful posts. Once upon a time, AA threatened to rape a victim of sexual abuse on Reddit. 

Atheists are no more immune to being assholes than any other group. One of the reasons I ID as agnostic is that I'm inherently wary of any group that's convinced they have the Answer. 

I stumbled across this guy on youtube less than a week ago; I saw one video, was not impressed (partly because he calls himself Amazing and was just mediocre), and I moved on.

I had no idea he was such a dirtbag, so I plan to continue staying away.

Like Terrie above, I id'd as agnostic for a good 15 years before calling myself an atheist.  but I'm not in the camp that says "there is no God, and no one should believe."  this is no different than fundies converting Catholics because they worship incorrectly.  my stance is more "i don't believe in God, but you might disagree."  and it's not my mission to steer the faithful away from their religion; i had the chance to reach that conclusion on my own for myself, so others should be afforded the same.  yes, assholes do exist in every group, and i try not to be one of them.

I guess, statistically, the more people that become atheist, the more wacky assholes like him will surface. I hadn't heard of him until just now, and reading the Wiki article on him ... wowzers.

7 hours ago, Terrie said:

Atheists are no more immune to being assholes than any other group. One of the reasons I ID as agnostic is that I'm inherently wary of any group that's convinced they have the Answer. 

I get what you are saying, but I do think it is important to remember that Atheists don't have a collective set of beliefs. Yes, Atheists collectively have "taken it one God further" and LACK belief in any god, but they don't have an actual answer. For me, it is partially admitting I do not have an answer, but am always willing to accept new answers with evidence. 

Still, I get that you don't want to be lumped in with "bad atheists". Someone can be an atheist and be a sexist pig, but it isn't because of being an atheism. It isn't like there is a book that dictates how you need to behave as an Atheist. I know hard-core Republican atheists. I also know many people who are fearful of admitting they are atheist and most often because they don't want their family or community to shun them for not being religious. 

18 hours ago, Witherwings said:

I get what you are saying, but I do think it is important to remember that Atheists don't have a collective set of beliefs. Yes, Atheists collectively have "taken it one God further" and LACK belief in any god, but they don't have an actual answer. For me, it is partially admitting I do not have an answer, but am always willing to accept new answers with evidence. 

Still, I get that you don't want to be lumped in with "bad atheists". Someone can be an atheist and be a sexist pig, but it isn't because of being an atheism. It isn't like there is a book that dictates how you need to behave as an Atheist. I know hard-core Republican atheists. I also know many people who are fearful of admitting they are atheist and most often because they don't want their family or community to shun them for not being religious. 

Gee, I had no idea until you told me! :my_rolleyes: I'm going to have to start wearing my Militant Agnostic pin again. ("I don't know and you don't either!")

11 minutes ago, Terrie said:

Gee, I had no idea until you told me! :my_rolleyes: I'm going to have to start wearing my Militant Agnostic pin again. ("I don't know and you don't either!")

I wasn't trying to tell you, but I do find it a bit tiresome when people make negative sweeping statement about atheists.  Including claims atheists are a group who have "the Answer". Lack of belief ≠ having any answer.

ETA: That isn't meant to be directed at one single person. I didn't get the feeling that you don't understand this, but am sure there are some who would. 

This might be controversial, but I think the atheist/theist debate is kind of moot. The only time I care what people worship (or don't) in their private lives is if/when they try to make their beliefs law or curriculum. My dear friend and colleague is very religious and doesn't believe in evolution. I don't care. She's one of my best friends and most productive and brilliant colleagues. I do better work when I work with her and I have more fun when I hang out with her. She doesn't want to wedge her religion into schools, but she's not willing to compromise on her faith in her personal life. There are no debates.

Archived