IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen- General Discussion Part 18

samurai_sarah

I wonder how James is doing?  He was one of Jill's buddies, wasn't he?  And he chaperoned Jill and Derick, and then we saw him visiting them in their mansion.  And he was so pleased to give Derick a bday present or something? 

I always enjoyed watching James.   As a little guy he came across as a kid with a great sense of humour.  He'd be in his mid-teens now, I guess.  Hopefully still cracking jokes :my_cool:

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, nst said:

it was a picture from last mother's day re Michelle and Jana 

they like to recycle words and pictures

At the very break of the scandal, as I recall. You would think it would bring back bad memories, but I suppose nearly every family picture they have would do that.

I thought that was an old picture. I remember us commenting at the time that they were on a plane, and were they flying 1st class? Thanks. I am not going totally crazy. 

Jana may feel differently towards her mother, because she was second born, and M probably spent some quality time with the older kids. We'll leave Joshy out of this speculation.

11 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

My niece got braces in two stages, don't know the reason.  First time close to 10 and then again at 14.  Sure done differently than when I was a kid.

My niece is doing this as well. She's in the first phase or whatever at age 8.

1 hour ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

I wonder how James is doing?  He was one of Jill's buddies, wasn't he?  And he chaperoned Jill and Derick, and then we saw him visiting them in their mansion.  And he was so pleased to give Derick a bday present or something? 

I always enjoyed watching James.   As a little guy he came across as a kid with a great sense of humour.  He'd be in his mid-teens now, I guess.  Hopefully still cracking jokes :my_cool:

I wonder how soon until he goes off to fake boot camp.

He always had some good facial expressions. I remember in one of the pre-Jill wedding episodes he was doing a TH and said that if they broke the courtship rules he'd tell his parents. But if it wasn't anything too bad then.....and he made a weird, eye-rolling face while kind of shrugging.

7 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

He always had some good facial expressions. I remember in one of the pre-Jill wedding episodes he was doing a TH and said that if they broke the courtship rules he'd tell his parents. But if it wasn't anything too bad then.....and he made a weird, eye-rolling face while kind of shrugging.

Lol, I know, he reminded me a bit of Jinger with his ability to mug for the camera. 

I had to google that...haha. I don't really go to bars so I have never had one. Not a fan a booze much either. (Not a religious thing, just a 'taste' thing.)

5 hours ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

I wonder how James is doing?  

He's probably feverishly trying to learn those multiplication tables so he can go off to Alert.  

Not making fun of him, it's just a sad typical progression of their lives.

And poor Jenny, first glasses and now braces?  I know these are requirements, but she seemed to have such low self-esteem to begin with...

15 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

My niece got braces in two stages, don't know the reason.  First time close to 10 and then again at 14.  Sure done differently than when I was a kid.

Another two-stage-braces mom here.  My younger daughter had them just on her front teeth for about 6 months, to correct her underbite and rotate an incisor that was almost perpendicular to the correct position--rationale was that with the underbite and the sideways incisor, the incisor was at a high risk for chipping or breaking.  The ortho didn't want to risk her damaging one or more teeth while we waited 3+ years for her 12 year molars to come in.  Now that her 12 year molars are almost totally in, they will do full braces later this year, because she will need some bite correction.  The cosmetic stuff actuall corrects very quickly--usually in 6-9 months.  But it's correcting the bite that takes so much longer, and that's why some kids wear braces for 2-3 years.

5 minutes ago, NeverAFundie said:

Another two-stage-braces mom here.  My younger daughter had them just on her front teeth for about 6 months, to correct her underbite and rotate an incisor that was almost perpendicular to the correct position--rationale was that with the underbite and the sideways incisor, the incisor was at a high risk for chipping or breaking.  The ortho didn't want to risk her damaging one or more teeth while we waited 3+ years for her 12 year molars to come in.  Now that her 12 year molars are almost totally in, they will do full braces later this year, because she will need some bite correction.  The cosmetic stuff actuall corrects very quickly--usually in 6-9 months.  But it's correcting the bite that takes so much longer, and that's why some kids wear braces for 2-3 years.

M daughter is three and the dentist is already told me her mouth is too small...underbite as well

31 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

He's probably feverishly trying to learn those multiplication tables so he can go off to Alert.  

Not making fun of him, it's just a sad typical progression of their lives.

And poor Jenny, first glasses and now braces?  I know these are requirements, but she seemed to have such low self-esteem to begin with...

If she went to a regular school, she'd be surrounded by other kids with glasses and probably quite a few with braces too. It's a shame she's basically stuck in a house with 20 people who ignore her completely.

I understand where they are coming from though (not so much in the keep sweet department). If you've got a 'large' family (4+) and your house is a mess and your kids are running amok (like every other average family) and you come across a programme with a huge family that appears to have it all together, from well presented/behaving kids, to a clean house and no debt, you're bound to think 'how do they do that?' and then 'how can I achieve that?'.

A lot of reality TV is aspirational, and is based on the premise of 'we live like this, this is what you should aim for'. The Duggars were billed as the perfect godly family, sure, viewers were reading between the lines (FJ) but the party line never wavered until Joshgate. Even now, it's all being glossed over and they are desperately trying to regain that veneer of perfection by flipping cars, building treehouses and visiting 'dangerous' places to save the heathens.

The truth is, the veneer has been well and truly smashed, and the few remaining viewers are there for the car crash rather than tips on how to make tater tot casserole.

All is not well on Walton's Mountain. :562479514c500_32(1):

7 hours ago, roddma said:

Interesting comment from Duggar Family Official reposted here. Even when I was a fan, I never tried to copy them.

https://hashmegrubby.wordpress.com/2016/04/04/when-the-duggar-magic-fades/

Great article. 19 children is just 2manyKidzzz. Following your faith should not mean any sort of abuse or dishonesty. I remember when I told my friend, who had been raised in a cult, that I had started watching  those "cute Duggars", she said immediately that they were a cult. I said, that they were so happy and cheerful.

She replied that her family had been "cheerful". And I knew the underlying truth of her situation growing up so I took the closer look that FJ brings. 

7 hours ago, roddma said:

Interesting comment from Duggar Family Official reposted here. Even when I was a fan, I never tried to copy them.

https://hashmegrubby.wordpress.com/2016/04/04/when-the-duggar-magic-fades/

Thanks for posting.  My favorite quote has nothing to do with the serious issues it deals with, but is so appropriate!

Nike” is now a term other families may want to use when the flawless Duggars walk by . . .

Maybe that is why there have been so few (if any) Josh sightings.  People have been yelling "Nike" and looking away!  :shakehead:

On 4/5/2016 at 11:33 PM, religiouslyconfused said:

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2016/04/blind-item-2-1244.html

Another CDAN Duggar Blind. I don't know who would do this, but read this with a heavy grain of salt. I think it could be fake, but if this were real, it would cause that person to have some explaining to do. Not sure if this falls into inappropriate speculation. Not sure what source is bringing this, if it is Famy, some Duggar fan fiction, or TLC is making these blinds to give publicity for Counting on. 

I'm not sure how reliable he is a source - I'm sure either he or someone else  was caught fabricating their blinds, but I can't remember exactly.

23 hours ago, MzMcLean said:

Have none of you ever had a pickle-back at the bar? You're missing out!! 

Hmm think I'm gonna have to suggest this to the restaurant I work at. At least to me it sounds good! :my_biggrin:

5 minutes ago, paulypepper said:

Hmm think I'm gonna have to suggest this to the restaurant I work at. At least to me it sounds good! :my_biggrin:

It's about the only time I enjoy whiskey!

3 minutes ago, MzMcLean said:

It's about the only time I enjoy whiskey!

Dangit ! I think Imma gonna have to go out and get some pickles now...

9 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

I understand where they are coming from though (not so much in the keep sweet department). If you've got a 'large' family (4+) and your house is a mess and your kids are running amok (like every other average family) and you come across a programme with a huge family that appears to have it all together, from well presented/behaving kids, to a clean house and no debt, you're bound to think 'how do they do that?' and then 'how can I achieve that?'.

A lot of reality TV is aspirational, and is based on the premise of 'we live like this, this is what you should aim for'. The Duggars were billed as the perfect godly family, sure, viewers were reading between the lines (FJ) but the party line never wavered until Joshgate. Even now, it's all being glossed over and they are desperately trying to regain that veneer of perfection by flipping cars, building treehouses and visiting 'dangerous' places to save the heathens.

The truth is, the veneer has been well and truly smashed, and the few remaining viewers are there for the car crash rather than tips on how to make tater tot casserole.

I think 19KAC was supposed to be another Gothard front group like the Character First program and Cities of Character. The Duggars websites and blogs all refer users to Gothard programs, including ALERT and JTTH. However, given how rapidly Gothardism is contracting, 19KAC was a spectacular failure in getting more people to join ATI and IBLP. I think pre-Joshgate most people saw the viewers as harmless fundies. Perhaps they were more conservative than most, but they seemed content, so whatever. I don't think most people wanted to be like the Duggars in terms of being Quiverfull and joining Gothardism, however. IBLP and ATI are losing so many members that I can't see the organization existing by the end of the decade. Even many conservative Protestants dislike Gothardism because it's so legalistic and separatist. The only ones left are the true believers like the Duggars and the Bateses.

9 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

I think it hurts women who grew up in Christianity and are considering living a more liberal life. They have these kids and their house is not in order and they don't have all the laundry done and maybe one kid left school without a lunch on accident or whatever. Maybe the mom has to get a job to support everyone or maybe she works because she loves it. And then she sees the Duggars. A billion kids, all perfect, clean house, the mom doesn't work, and they are so obedient. So what is the woman from before doing wrong? And then maybe it's not all at once, but those insidious patriarchal teachings from her childhood and the church start to come into her mind and maybe she thinks God is punishing her somehow for wanting to work, for wanting new clothes, for sending her kids off to public school. I hope those women feel better about their lives knowing now that the entire thing was a sham.

Side story: We LOVED Malcolm in the Middle in my house when I was growing up. We liked to watch shows that were of families that reminded us of ourselves. So Malcolm in the Middle and Roseanne were a big hit in the house. And my mom said a few years ago "I would watch Lois and think 'Well certainly I'm a better mother than she is!' but then I would remember she makes breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day for them!" My mom doesn't cook, my dad does :pb_lol:

I never watched the Duggars b/c "they seemed so perfect." I watched it w/curiosity for how you manage so many kids and WHY would they have so many kids! But the whole concept has changed. They showed how they clothed the herd, they made their own laundry soap. But the whole concept has flipped now that half the kids are adults. It all came out about how no one works so JB can keep total control. I think Derrick was beginning to see that & that was one reason they fled when the opportunity arose.

If it's true what that blind said, why don't they put that in. Little kids, little problems. Big kids, BIG problems.

I think the 'neat house' wiht many well-dressed kids could apply to may tv shows. Look at the 'Brady Bunch'. 9 people and nothing ever seemed out of place, yea right. Well they did have Alice, but it made you wonder what Carol did. I never cared for Roseanne, though , it was likely how more families lived realistically.

Speaking of laundry Michelle had a 'meltdown' at 7 kids. I,too, thought the Duggars were a wee bit conservative but harmless. I admired them because of some crap going on around me. I thought finally ,a family that gets long together, kids well-behaved, blah blah P.S. I wasnt sure where to post that link.

I never got this laundry thing. With six people in the house I do no more than three loads a week. If you have 21 people, say you do 12 loads. No laundry on Sundays, is two loads daily. One regular washing machine would be plenty, so would one dryer. Yet how many of these machines do they have?

Two loads of folding and putting things back in the closet would take an hour. O.k., that is excluding ironing, which I have banned this last ten years since there are plenty cute clothes that don't need an iron. And I always hang dry. But still, I don't see why it has to be such a big deal. They don't even use bedding. 

Am I missing something? Is it the hotter climate? Or do Americans go through three sets of clothes a day? Is it that we use much smaller towels? Or am I just really gross?

I guess with 19 kid sit's possible for severala clothing changes, especially boys since they are allowed to be rougher in that house..You think in a house with several adults laundry wouldn't get behind. I guess Boob was snoozing away 'cause laundry is you know 'wimmen's work;.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived