IGNORED

Investigation of FLDS Graveyard of Babies Born of Incest

Yes, he seriously did that. He banned lots of things including dogs and the color red. I have no idea what happened to all the red things that were taken, but the dogs were all taken out and shot.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those looking to get some background on the FLDS, this recent article nicely sums up some of the history and current happenings: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/05/us/flds-secrets-warren-jeffs/

This (I think) is the article another poster mentioned earlier about the followers trying to smuggle recording devices into prison for Warren:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3490266/Prison-plays-hide-seek-ex-polygamist-sect-leader.html

I think the ban on dogs was after a child was killed by one owned by the father. The other stuff was because he can.  Yes, I have done way too much research into this.

10 minutes ago, daisyd681 said:

Yes, he seriously did that. He banned lots of things including dogs and the color red. I have no idea what happened to all the red things that were taken, but the dogs were all taken out and shot.

Pretty much everything that can bring joy to their impoverished lives were banned (but apostate accounts almost universally mention their shock at the realization that the elite enjoyed illicit birth control, card games, and so on). It's especially nice how Warren was in a red convertible when caught. I always wondered about the bicycles they took from the followers. It would have been so easy to donate or sell them to families in nearby St. George. But my money's on the theory that they were destroyed with FLDS construction equipment.

It'll be a hard adjustment, too. Harder than a Duggar or Bates kid leaving the fold, certainly. I'm glad there are so many out there to help them integrate into society. Are they still being told that Warren Jeffs is the president of the United States?

The CNN article mentions a Joyce Wayman, who has mostly slipped under my radar until now. Does anyone here know anything about her? Politicsrusprinciple is pretty sparse in her regard. It looks like her maiden name was Warner. They have some info on her sister wives, but nothing I can find about her beyond that name and that she was married in 1980. Willie Jessop has named John Wayman in allegations of a break-in to his excavating company's office in 2011, and Wayman is in some heat with the current lawsuits. Anyone have a lead?

Ruth Peine Barlow looks very familiar to me. I feel like I saw her as one of the people who spoke to the media about how awful it was to have the children removed at YFZ. I am having trouble finding where I saw these moments to verify. Any chance anyone here remembers her from somewhere earlier?

I had never noticed the odd accent before. Other than the awful connotations I now have with the word "fullness" after Warren's quorums of wives, the pronunciation of many words is peculiar to this neck of the woods.

@Buzzard I have no idea what they were making there, but the part that failed on the Columbia shuttle was manufactured by a FLDS business. 

21 hours ago, nana sew dear said:

Wikipedia has some interesting articles about inbreeding and pedigree collapse.  It is also worth reading about Charles II of Spain.  Families of Royalty could teach the FLDS a great lesson.  Too bad they have banned the internet.

A main-stream Mormon friend of mine told me that the FLDS breed for a certain color of hair, a kind of strawberry blonde.  So sad that the babies pay for the insanity of their "prophet, seer and revelator".

That's interesting. This is the first time I've ever someone else mention the very high percentage of red heads I've always seen among the FLDS. (And girls named "Fern.")

It would be interesting to see what the result of DNA tests would be.  My niece is half African American and half Scandinavian-English.  Her little boy has bright red, curly hair.  I'm just saying that it might be difficult to predict hair color outcome based on looks.

On 4/4/2016 at 9:39 PM, Mary C Doates said:

I think Zichterman's book is about a fundamentalist Baptist group (I may be wrong--haven't read it in a while). I think the FLDS book may be Flora Jessop's Church of lies, which is about her experiences in Colorado Cory/Hildale. I recall her writing about living in Roy and Lydia Jessop's household.

Yes, I just read this, it's about a couple insane IFB churches...her father is actually still a preacher at one of them.  I read it in one day.  I couldn't put it down. 

Prophet's Prey by Sam Brower is a good one to read.  Jon Krakauer wrote the preface, which is the same guy who wrote Under the Banner of Heaven about the nutsy LeBaron sect (believe they were an FLDS offshoot)

On 4/5/2016 at 10:45 AM, refugee said:

I am reminded of a news story I saw once, about a family group (in Turkey? I could be remembering wrong) that walks on all fours (hands and feet) because they are unable to stand upright, due to inbreeding. Frightening to think of the implications for this group of people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_That_Walks_On_All_Fours

I remember seeing this doc. It was very interesting, but also extremely sad. And yes--it was in Turkey.

http://sisterwivesblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/polygamists-cemetery-why-are-so-many.html

OMG...I just started reading this and there are no words.

So, they're just running over poor children with their cars to cover up other possible causes of death (including shaken baby syndrome)? What kind of animals are these people? :pb_evil:

4 hours ago, daisyd681 said:

I had never noticed the odd accent before. Other than the awful connotations I now have with the word "fullness" after Warren's quorums of wives, the pronunciation of many words is peculiar to this neck of the woods.

@Buzzard I have no idea what they were making there, but the part that failed on the Columbia shuttle was manufactured by a FLDS business. 

Why is the federal government supporting this? Seems like bullshit to me. And were they held responsible for their shoddy workmanship?

I know in Northern Arizona, where one of my relatives owned a construction company, he was constantly underbid by the FLDS-owned companies because they don't pay their "Lost Boys" jack shit and can come in way low on their bids.

I messed up. It was the Challenger shuttle. Here's a link. There may be more to it, but I'm into the mead and my Google is impaired.  http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,954541,954541

My dad dealt with them and child labor issues because they would get lumber contracts and then have the kids work at the site. 

The FLDS family tree is less like a tree and more like a bowl of spaghetti. How do you even keep track of all and how you are related to them?

Are they actualy running them over, or is a complacent doctor just claiming they are? Please tell me that they aren't actually doing that.  Deaths from child abuse must be huge there.  Poverty, jealousy from one wife to the next (step parents are frequently the abusers), men who think they are gods, siblings left un or poorly supervised, religious extremism.  The list goes on and on.

The family that Walks on All Fours is fascinating, but is it really inbreeding?  From what I can figure out, the parents are second cousins.  My mothers mothers brothers son.  That's not considered incest in the US, as far as I know.

OK, I've now gone down the rabbithole of FLDS YouTube videos after watching the "Jolly Gel Gals" one that @missegeno posted above.

Why is there so much focus on the hair? Is it because these poor women don't have much else to do--much individuality allowed? :( There's a reference toward the end of the video about how this hairstyle helps to achieve the "perfect oval face shape" or something like that.

And the baby-Xanax voice is creepy. :(

1 minute ago, Inthemadhouse said:

Are they actualy running them over, or is a complacent doctor just claiming they are? Please tell me that they aren't actually doing that.  Deaths from child abuse must be huge there.  Poverty, jealousy from one wife to the next (step parents are frequently the abusers), men who think they are gods, siblings left un or poorly supervised, religious extremism.  The list goes on and on.

The family that Walks on All Fours is fascinating, but is it really inbreeding?  From what I can figure out, the parents are second cousins.  My mothers mothers brothers son.  That's not considered incest in the US, as far as I know.

I read that in the Kingston clan, which is even more incestuous than the FLDS with half and full brothers and sisters "encouraged" to marry, babies are often left to die:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/inside-the-order-one-mormon-cults-secret-empire-20110615

13 minutes ago, EyeQueue said:

Why is there so much focus on the hair? Is it because these poor women don't have much else to do--much individuality allowed? :( There's a reference toward the end of the video about how this hairstyle helps to achieve the "perfect oval face shape" or something like that.

The higher the hair, the closer to God. ;)

14 minutes ago, EyeQueue said:

OK, I've now gone down the rabbithole of FLDS YouTube videos after watching the "Jolly Gel Gals" one that @missegeno posted above.

And the baby-Xanax voice is creepy. :(

Long hair on women is Godly, because it is their head covering or something. Also, they are supposed to keep it long so that they can wash their husband's feet with it in the afterlife (why do I fully believe that they are forced to do this in this life too? Oh that's right, all the stories of these men making their female children jerk them off.) As far as the perfect oval, I have no idea. I hadn't heard of that before. Is that style a Jeffs thing? The older pictures of women don't have such uniform hair.

50 minutes ago, EyeQueue said:

http://sisterwivesblog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/polygamists-cemetery-why-are-so-many.html

OMG...I just started reading this and there are no words.

So, they're just running over poor children with their cars to cover up other possible causes of death (including shaken baby syndrome)? What kind of animals are these people? :pb_evil:

Wow.

I was kinda on the side of the FLDS with the YFZ Texas raid, I thought taking away the kids without adequate proof was harmful to the children AND further prosecution of the FLDS. But after reading that I feel like the prosecutors weren't working very hard. 

3 minutes ago, daisyd681 said:

Long hair on women is Godly, because it is their head covering or something. Also, they are supposed to keep it long so that they can wash their husband's feet with it in the afterlife (why do I fully believe that they are forced to do this in this life too? Oh that's right, all the stories of these men making their female children jerk them off.) As far as the perfect oval, I have no idea. I hadn't heard of that before. Is that style a Jeffs thing? The older pictures of women don't have such uniform hair.

I've wondered the same thing, since FLDS pictures from the mid-twentieth century on the Politics RU Principle blog show women and girls wearing what would have been considered "normal" clothes and hairstyles for the time period. My guess is that as the group became more physically isolated, presumably after the Short Creek raid, more restrictions were put into place to prevent people from leaving. Imposing a uniform is one way of doing this, because if you don't even know how to dress appropriately for the outside world, it raises your anxieties about leaving.

10 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I've wondered the same thing, since FLDS pictures from the mid-twentieth century on the Politics RU Principle blog show women and girls wearing what would have been considered "normal" clothes and hairstyles for the time period. My guess is that as the group became more physically isolated, presumably after the Short Creek raid, more restrictions were put into place to prevent people from leaving. Imposing a uniform is one way of doing this, because if you don't even know how to dress appropriately for the outside world, it raises your anxieties about leaving.

It's also a symptom of the push for conformity and submissiveness.

23 minutes ago, daisyd681 said:

I was wondering about that myself. In some older photos I saw of the Short Creek raid (mentioned above) it looked like some of the hairstyles (on a couple of the girls) were starting to look like those braids, but the rest of the women had a variety of styles. And no matchy-matchy prairie-style Peter-Pan-collar-having dresses, either.

Archived