IGNORED

Jessa, Ben, and Spurgeon part 5

Criscat

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:47 PM, biblelandjunkie said:

Chicago folks and just living there itself would eat them alive.....it is a tough city to live in and quite expensive as well... Jim Bob would freak out at the bills these three would make 

There's no way they would live in the city.  If they moved, they'd live like an hour outside of the city, in a church town.  Illinois has plenty of those.

Similar thing happened with Josh and DC.  Granted, they lived fairly close to the city because of Josh's work (I think it was like 45 minutes away), but rent in DC is worse than in Chicago, and the people are definitely more likely to eat someone alive.  Washingtonians tend to be argumentative, especially about policy.  The Duggars tend to self-isolate though, so it isn't too much of an issue for them.

2 hours ago, Apricot said:

This.  I cannot imagine the resentment that would breed, even when "keeping sweet".

Jessa does seem (from what we've seen at least) to enjoy being a mom.  I can't picture her with a large brood but does she even realise that she has the option not to have eleventy children?  With their standards of education as they are, I wonder how much factual knowledge they have on the mechanics of avoiding pregnancy. 

I'm sure she knows when she ovulates, which also means she knows when she's not ovulating.  I do, however, wonder if she will use that knowledge

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With their standards of education as they are, I wonder how much factual knowledge they have on the mechanics of avoiding pregnancy. 

I wonder too. I doubt they realize how prevalent family planning really is. I wouldn't be surprised if they think praying for a bit more space between pregnancies is sufficient to avoid such a mega sized brood, which may be seen as the fruits of Michelle constantly praying for more. These people think prayer fixes everything, so I bet they think it also addresses family size.

Erika Shupe was like this too. She "prayed" for more space between babies. Umm... you know that's not how it works, right? :tw_wink:

If Ben were to pursue a 4 year degree at Moody, I wonder how long it would take, given that he already has an associates degree & allegedly is taking some Moody online classes already. If Moody lets him transfer a lot of his AA credits, it might take less than 2 years.

How odd to think they might move to Chicago while all their ATI buddies are leaving it!

Jessa may know when she ovulates, but to use NFP, she would have to have an honest conversation with Ben. She is there to meet his needs, not hers. I can see him getting pouty if he wants sex and she's trying to space babies so they can adopt. He is the headship, his needs come first. 

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Jessa may know when she ovulates, but to use NFP, she would have to have an honest conversation with Ben. She is there to meet his needs, not hers. I can see him getting pouty if he wants sex and she's trying to space babies so they can adopt. He is the headship, his needs come first. 

That is correct.  Everyone knows that men have no self control (which is why a wife's role is to be buddy to her husband and delegate the older children to watch their younger siblings).  If a wife is not instantly and happily available for the secks with her husband, he has no will power, no self control, no moral code, that will stop him from straying into the arms of the next available female. (Apparently, even the love he claims to have for his wife will not stop this behavior.)

I am still trying to figure out how such a weak-willed, amoral type of person is also considered the closest thing to God, and thus his wife and children must submit to his wishes at all times.  Makes you wonder what sort of God this is.

I also wonder how this acceptance of men's "must have sex on demand or I will cheat on my wife!" conforms with the belief that infants can and must be taught to obey instantly or be hit with rulers or other implements.  So on the one hand, infants and children must obey instantly and without question.  This rule applies to both male and female children.  But when a male reaches adulthood and marries, suddenly it is accepted knowledge that he is ruled by his sexual needs and if he is frustrated in having those needs met, will cheat on his wife and it will be all her fault.  What happened to all that instant obedience and fear of God that was beat into them all their life? 

I'd upvote this a thousand times!

And don't forget that even little girls can be defrauding. I remember Jackson?  being sent from the room when M was going to change a baby girl's diaper. I forget which baby. Hard to keep track. I saw my first penis when I was about 7. My friend's mom changed her baby brother's diaper in front of us. Interesting, then we went off to play and didn't think any more about it. The more it's hidden, the more unhealthy curiosity develops. You would think they would figure that out.

This is unrelated to current course of the conversation, but I found this Redbook article from yesterday that referred to Spurgeon as "Sturgeon" throughout the article and I lol'd. I don't really think that Sturgeon is any better than Spurgeon...

http://www.redbookmag.com/life/mom-kids/news/a43485/jessa-duggar-baby-car-seat-parents-worry/

Sturgeon. Love it.

And dang...I am an over-the-top mom when it comes to safety....but clearly the child is not in any danger in that photo. For one thing, he's awake. And another, they are sitting right by him.

1 hour ago, EmmieJ said:

That is correct.  Everyone knows that men have no self control (which is why a wife's role is to be buddy to her husband and delegate the older children to watch their younger siblings).  If a wife is not instantly and happily available for the secks with her husband, he has no will power, no self control, no moral code, that will stop him from straying into the arms of the next available female. (Apparently, even the love he claims to have for his wife will not stop this behavior.)

I am still trying to figure out how such a weak-willed, amoral type of person is also considered the closest thing to God, and thus his wife and children must submit to his wishes at all times.  Makes you wonder what sort of God this is.

I also wonder how this acceptance of men's "must have sex on demand or I will cheat on my wife!" conforms with the belief that infants can and must be taught to obey instantly or be hit with rulers or other implements.  So on the one hand, infants and children must obey instantly and without question.  This rule applies to both male and female children.  But when a male reaches adulthood and marries, suddenly it is accepted knowledge that he is ruled by his sexual needs and if he is frustrated in having those needs met, will cheat on his wife and it will be all her fault.  What happened to all that instant obedience and fear of God that was beat into them all their life? 

Don't try to inject logic into this!

But in all seriousness, I think that a lot of Christian fundamentalism supports and perpetuates a belief system designed to remove accountability from abusers, both of children and of other adults. It's not my fault, the devil made me do it! It's not my fault, that whore was showing her shoulders! It's not my fault, my wife didn't put out enough! It's not my fault, my child should have stayed on the blanket and instantly obeyed me! I don't need to apologize or make amends, Jesus will forgive me because I'm a good Christian!

The instant obedience is just there for power and control, and the utter lack of moral compass and personal accountability in adulthood is just a side effect of that. If you only learn to obey unquestioningly and fear getting caught/going to hell more than the guilt/consequences of hurting other people, you don't learn to make moral judgments for yourself. Combine that with the "it's cool because I'm tight with Jeebus" attitude towards forgiveness and regret, plus a culture that teaches men that they can treat women as sex objects, and you have yourself a whole bunch of men (and women, for that matter) who think that abuse/general douchebaggery is normal and OK.

On an unrelated note, the new video Jessa posted of The Spurge is pretty darned cute. I hope she's securing him in his carseat properly now, and continues to interact with him lots and lots. I don't have high hopes for Jessa escaping/gaining critical thinking skills, and I don't have high hopes for Ben removing his head from his ass/getting an actually decent haircut/growing the hell up, but I hope that Lil' Spurge has a happy life and continues to be adorable.

That may be the shortest skirt I've ever seen on Jessa. (reflection in glasses.)

Wow. Knees. She probably didn't realize she would be reflected in the glasses.

19 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Eh. My kid is cuter. Haha!

No baby is as cute as your own! That's the way it should be!

4 hours ago, sawasdee said:

I'd upvote this a thousand times!

I accidently clicked the red button (downvote) but now have clicked the green on (upvote) 1 million times like I was meant to!

It's early, Corruption hasn't had a cuppa yet!

I downvote posts by accident all the time. :)

It's a combination of fat fingers and I post on my phone in an area where the connection is spotty. I'll hit what I think is + and then I'll lose my connection. The whole + - thing grays out so I think I hit +. Sometimes it's - and I only find out much later. :P

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the hubbub over that, it's that you're not supposed to let him sleep in the carseat, right?  How much of an over the top mom do you have to be to drive around with the kid in the carseat and not let him fall asleep?  For my kids at that age, driving in the car was an instant snoozefest.

I'd love to see them talk about how they always shop secondhand ("buy used and save the difference") while Sturge wears this.

Spoiler

spurg.jpg

14 minutes ago, missegeno said:

I'd love to see them talk about how they always shop secondhand ("buy used and save the difference") while Sturge wears this.

Well I just saw a few of those at the Goodwill the other day...

Spoiler spurg.jpg

I can't stand this bunch as much as the rest of you but I just have to say this:

Really?! Are they your bitches eating cookies? I've never seen them claim they do 100% of their shopping at Goodwill and the like, but they do (or at least used to!) do a hell of a lot of second hand shopping. If they bought their son a personalised bib from Etsy or somewhere, then great. It's also possible that somebody gifted it to them.

If someone is frugal most of the time so that they can make purchases that are important to them then that's what it's all about, isn't it?

• sawasdee featured this topic
  • SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic
  • Destiny unfeatured this topic

Archived