IGNORED

plants waking up pics.

doggie

well things are growing. I planted a bunch of Japanese painted ferns I did to know they were perennials and they are coming back well one is I don't see the others. they are sure nice looking IMG_3637.JPG

I got sword ferns from a local seller on eBay dirt cheap just the root 20 of them for 30.00 I think but they did noting or only grew one frond last year this one did nothing at all but it looks like it is getting going. 

IMG_7364.JPG

love these maiden hair fern this is a native one

IMG_6344.JPG

our new dwarf peach is flowering it's little heart out. this was just planted in January 

IMG_3812.JPG

bought some bulbs and such last year they did not grow till this year 

IMG_3096.JPG

our apple trees are supposed to be late fruiting trees so  thought they would flower later but this is their first year so who knows. but the bees are not out that I have seen 

IMG_6740.JPG

chins honey berry hopefully these taste good

IMG_7330.JPG

IMG_8821.JPG

very nice!!11! 

we're going to have a cold/snowy weekend here in western NY, so I'm still behind.  I've started raking up the leftover leaves, and the irises I planted last year are coming up.  the tulips are just starting; they came with the house, so they're at least 10 years old.  I don't do bulbs myself because we're infested with squirrels who like to dig them up (and my dog refuses to do anything about them--haha!)

your bleeding-heart (5th pic) is just plain lovely.

we had a couple 32 degree days but I think it is done we had our cold in December. the bleeding heart was one I had forgotten about as it did not grow at all last year.

Jealous. I'm further north, so while things are poking through the soil, that's about it. (Except for the weeds. A flamethrower wouldn't kill those, let alone our recent frosts)

we seem to have spring earlier every year. all my bug eater plants are starting to bloom and even the venus flytraps are sprouting new leaves.

my daphines would be great there blooming while it is really cold there.

We seem to have some similar growth going on. My apple trees haven't flowered yet, but the peach is done except for a few late blossoms.

The flowering currant is in bloom in the shady side yard, with ginger on the ground in front in and a Himalayan honeysuckle in the middle. The currant and the ginger are native plants, so they are used to Northwest shade.

We are trying a strawberry tower this year, hoping to concentrate more of the fertilizer and water for these greedy plantts. The sparkly mulch is glass left over from a mosaic project, to conserve moisture on top and for grandkid aesthetics. The plastic thingy on top is a self waterer made from a juice jug.

side yard--ginger and currant.jpg

strawberry tower, april 2016.jpg

Our cherry blossoms are in full flower now. Here's the one in the front garden :562479514c500_32(1):

934145_10209772991310098_2769723721024136289_n.jpg

Cherry are about half done here. Our little dwarf cherry is just starting to grow no fruit for a couple of years. The Venus fly traps are doing well thus year the gravel protected them from the wind and will keep the weeds down. 766aa5e4aa983c93b8659aa9b2aadbce.jpg

81cfd9a328dce241ddd207cc46368d13.jpg

34 minutes ago, doggie said:

Cherry are about half done here. Our little dwarf cherry is just starting to grow no fruit for a couple of years. The Venus fly traps are doing well thus year the gravel protected them from the wind and will keep the weeds down.

You can keep Venus flytraps outside through the winter? How cold does it get where you are?

I just got an new one after a few years off from the carnivorous plant hobby and I would love it to be outdoors all year.

10 minutes ago, older than allosaurs said:

carnivorous plant hobby

have you had any other sorts of carnivorous plants? do you have tips and tricks to keep them alive? I'm thinking of getting a sundew plant or ten (if I can find them) to try and keep down the fruit fly population.

They can handle a fair amount of cold they have survived a few days of 20 degrees but that cold it is best to pile leaves or such on them to protect them from the wind. Sundews are not has hardy and zone7 I'd about the limit pitcher plants the vertical type are a better choice. They need little care on my porch it gets upto 118 and they are fine bigger pots and two to three waterings a week is a out it. I cut them back in winter. Will post a few pics when I get home. 1/2 peat Moss and perlite they are easy to take care of. They are expensive to buy though. The fly traps take forever to get very large but I love them they just need heat and full sun as much as they can get. So you need a sunny location to get much out of them.

Here are some of the pitcher plants they will bloom before they grow pitchers. The gravel really helps with weed issues it takes several years before they bloom. . 799ef259948719f141081e98e085a765.jpgb1648255e3e708b550b281f781166b54.jpg050cba211801a6f00ca7a7491039c250.jpgfd3e95f029ffd24f591e10e92d86e162.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

some more pics of the pitcher plants fully blooming and some new growth. the sundew is going crazy this year. a cool iris called wearing rubies I had to hunt for this one. it may bloom twice a year we will see. my wife sure loves the color and it smells good too. 

IMG_8087_4.JPGIMG_2215.JPGIMG_2187_2.JPGIMG_2011.JPG

strawberries blueberries lemongrass meyer lemon and some other stuff.jpg

vine_maple_and_yucca.jpg

Wow. That "wearing rubies" iris is amazing. I've never seen an iris color like that.

We broke the heat record yesterday and are likely to hit it again today, so we can practically see stuff grow.

The top picture has strawberries, blueberries, Meyer lemon, lemongrass, plus some ornamentals. It also explains why a friend shudders everytime he sees my garden. He doesn't like his plants to touch. Me, I cram in as much as possible.

front yard natives.jpg

Edited to spell smilacena right.

we are at 85 now two days in a row. I lucked out finding the wearing rubies bought a few from different sellers since most were not shipped till later in the year. well worth the 10.00 each they cost gave a couple to my mother in law. in a couple eyars I will have too many :my_rolleyes:

I need ground cover for this. but we only rent and I don't want to spend the money to plant the whole slope. but the dog tracks in the mud as he chases real and fake squirrels on it all the time.

fb8e34f54460ed67936d600df9e6284b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First year of actually being present in my garden for spring, and I went a little crazy shopping for tulips in the fall. No regrets! 

DSC_0569.JPG

DSC_0492.JPG

DSC_0462.JPG

DSC_0433.JPG

DSC_0587.JPG

Spotted the first poppy in the garden earlier :) 

13239129_10207465386606729_3875584395465042797_n.jpg

We had a cold snap and now I'm waiting to see if I will need to replace some of my herbs and tomatoes.

My wild tulips are still going strong! Some of the botanical ones are on a roll as well :)

DSC_1035.JPG

DSC_1015.JPG

DSC_1008.JPG

My fly trap is going gang busters growing like a weed almost all the traps have bugs in them and it is making 3 flowers. The others are doing well too but are not going to be as large. 19800efbef6cd838d810e5caffa1d5e6.jpg

A cool plant called a sea holly the flower grew fast in only a few days. 2282f64c2572ea9fab593af6652b863c.jpg

Archived