IGNORED

Minnesota Republican: Gay People Are Mentally Ill, Need Treatment For ‘Unhealthy Sexual Addiction’

doggie

4 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

And the American College of Pediatricians named themselves this on purpose to confuse people into thinking they were a respectable group.  They did this so people would think, oh, this is the main body of pediatrcians in this country, so if they're saying this about LGBT people it must be true.

That makes me so angry. I was initially confused but googled them because I was sure that the main body of American pediatricians wouldn't be saying those things. But the people who don't bother to take the extra step and google any farther are going to be misinformed in the worst way. Just for good measure I looked up what the American Academy of Pediatrics had to say about it, and, as I suspected, they encourage parents to be accepting and let children be who they are meant to be. Crazy thought.

And as far as I have been able to find out, the American College of Pediatricians has a membership of around 200 - as opposed to the American Academy of Pediatrics, which totally disagrees with them and has a membership in excess of 62,000!

3 hours ago, Hera said:

This really is weird.  I can honestly say that I don't spend my time wondering what other people are doing sex  wise. I just don't have the time or inclination.  I don't understand how anyone gets as emotional as these people do about strangers' sex lives. 

I don't spend as much time thinking about my own sex life as these people do worrying about what other folks are doing in their bedrooms. 

5 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

Doing Interesting Erotic Things.

I'd like to nominate this as our next post count title.

He said the same thing at a press conference about MN's marriage amendment and later legalization of same-sex marriage. In front of children of same-sex parents. Who were watching and attending with their families.

He is just awful. I think his fixation on same sex sex is an unhealthy sexual addiction!

One of my DD's is in MN.  She rages about him often, so I know just how awful he must be.  We're from KY, home of the revered Kim Davis. :(

20 hours ago, Sundaymorning said:

I swear, some of these people more preoccupied with gay sex than I am. And I am gay.

I am also gay and I agree!

21 hours ago, Hera said:

My first thought when I saw the title of this thread was "Of course." Same song, different verse. You'd think that Republicans would have figured out by now that peddling this sort of hateful, bigoted, unscientific crap to inflame the masses is why Donald Fucking Trump is poised to be their party's presidential nominee.  But apparently not.

Some of our local reich wingers have basically been writing the same letter to the editor for the past sixty years now.  Most of them just changed the names to suit the time and the target of the days.  For example they just took out using "communist agenda" to complain about non whites being treated equally and replaced it with "homosexual agenda" as LGBT are gaining equality.  And they're still as racist as f--k, they just dress it up in what they think are clever little code words that won't get them kicked off the local newspaper's comments board or get their letters sent straight to the circular file.

2 hours ago, Furbabies said:

I'd like to nominate this as our next post count title.

I'll second that motion!

The most ridiculous argument I've heard against same-sex marriage came from a man who actually filed a lawsuit. He would be damaged because if he said he was married, people wouldn't automatically assume his spouse was female. It might (GASP!) cross their minds that he could be gay and married to a man. This is such a staggering level of insecurity in one's heterosexuality that I would pity him if I weren't too busy pitying the poor woman he married. Can you imagine the amount of ego-stroking she has to do?

During an interview on WCCO Radio with Chad Hartman last week, Gruenhagen declared that gay people are mentally ill and should be forced to undergo treatment for their “unhealthy sexual addiction.”

1.) Being gay is not a mental illness.

2.) If someone does have a mental illness, that still doesn't mean that they should be forced to undergo treatment unless they are a danger to others or to themselves. Treatment can and should certainly be encouraged for people who have a mental illness (which, again, being gay is not) to improve quality of life, but ultimately they have the right to refuse unwanted treatment just as anyone else does.

This was quite the one-two discrimination punch aimed at both LGBTQ folks and people with mental illness.

It really reminds me of the fundie obsession with what transgendered people have between their legs, which has kind of peaked this week with the North Carolina law. I have a few transgender friends and acquaintances and I have no idea what their private parts looks like, except for one woman who volunteered the information because she was so thrilled with the outcome. And I really don't care what they look like down under. Some transgender women have to make a choice between facial feminization surgery and genitoplasty, because they can't afford to do both. Others, perhaps, don't care, or can't afford to do either one. But, geeze, to be that obsessed with other people's dangly bits, or lack thereof? I just don't get it.

I don't pay as much attention to the news as I ought, so I looked this guy up to see where his district is, and this popped up right at the top of google:

http://www.citypages.com/news/mngop-rep-glenn-gruenhagen-misses-the-days-when-teachers-hit-students-6533719

"I went to a social studies class and the teacher happened to be a football coach, and he had a paddle in 9th grade," Gruenhagen said during his testimony. "And if you didn't behave yourself, you got up in front of the class, and guess what? You got one on the hind end and you had to sign the paddle. It only happened one time in his class and everybody behaved themselves. We didn't have any problems."

"And what we've done... is we've tied the hands of our local school districts from actually applying discipline to the students, and the result is we have to hire armed police officers to walk the halls," he continued. "That's the problem. Your bill isn't going to fix it, it's only going to make it worse."

What a charming person. 

12 hours ago, Shoobydoo said:

I don't pay as much attention to the news as I ought, so I looked this guy up to see where his district is, and this popped up right at the top of google:

http://www.citypages.com/news/mngop-rep-glenn-gruenhagen-misses-the-days-when-teachers-hit-students-6533719

What a charming person. 

You gotta love how a whining tantrum-rant about how teachers aren't allowed to threaten, or perpetrate, violence against students is his best argument for what's wrong in schools.  

It couldn't possibly lack of resources, lack of parental involvement (sometimes due to parents having to half kill themselves for less than poverty wages, just to keep food on the table - but noooooo, eff social programs!) or making an idol of standardized testing.  Or, heck, any of the other billion things that have sprung forth from selfish, short-sighted policies that gut our educational system.  Ugh.  Makes me want to scream.  And kick him in the knee.  

On 3/31/2016 at 5:33 PM, 47of74 said:

Yeah last week one of our local conservatives posted a big long screed in the comments section of an article in the town newspaper about how the American College of Pediatricians thought LGBT were harmful to children.  I didn't have the time or energy to explain to this idiot that the American College of Pediatricians is a sham anti gay right wing group that was called out by the SPLC in the past.  (splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2012/american-college-pediatricians-defames-gays-and-lesbians-name-protecting-children

Thanks for this info. Good to know.

Fuck this noise! Other people's sex lives is nobody's business. LGBT ARE NOT a threat to children.

4 hours ago, refugee said:

Thanks for this info. Good to know.

You're welcome.  What makes this group particularly insidious is that their name makes them sound legitimate, so it's always good to call them out far and wide.

On 3/30/2016 at 6:04 PM, doggie said:

Gruenhagen fretted about the number of Americans who have an STD in this country, which the Centers for Disease Control says is about one-third of the population .

Well, there's a cure for this: proper sex ed.

But unfortunately, too many public schools are constrained by abstinence-only sex ed programs, and too many kids aren't being given proper information by their parents OR their schools. So yeah, about a third of Americans ARE probably infected by something or other. And that's got nothing to do with teh ebil gayz.

On 4/2/2016 at 3:05 PM, Rubaiyat said:

You gotta love how a whining tantrum-rant about how teachers aren't allowed to threaten, or perpetrate, violence against students is his best argument for what's wrong in schools.  

It couldn't possibly lack of resources, lack of parental involvement (sometimes due to parents having to half kill themselves for less than poverty wages, just to keep food on the table - but noooooo, eff social programs!) or making an idol of standardized testing.  Or, heck, any of the other billion things that have sprung forth from selfish, short-sighted policies that gut our educational system.  Ugh.  Makes me want to scream.  And kick him in the knee.  

I'd kick him somewhere a little more "northern" than the knee... ;-)

ETA: I'm a Doula for Destiny now! Yay!

dang didn't know we were switching back to the DSM I?? when did this happen?

Archived