IGNORED

Lahore - more people dead in suicide attack

Palimpsest

I grieve with all those who suffer. May your dead loved ones rest in peace, may your injured loved ones recover quickly. May everyone who is still looking for someone find them speedily, and unharmed.

A friend of mine lives in Lahore.  When I messaged her earlier, she told me that she regularly takes her daughter to this park.  This hit way too close to home for me.  I just wish that it would all end.  I don't understand why people think this is okay.  

When will it end? When we've completely annihilated each other? 

Saudi Arabia must bear some of the blame for exporting the more extreme forms of Islam to Pakistan, overwhelming more moderate local traditions such as the Sufi. I wonder what Mohammed would do?

My thoughts with all those who have loved ones lost or injured.

46 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

Saudi Arabia must bear some of the blame for exporting the more extreme forms of Islam to Pakistan, overwhelming more moderate local traditions such as the Sufi. I wonder what Mohammed would do?

And colonialism too. It left scars that haven't disappeared yet.

Also it isn't the first time that Pakistan's children are massacred in a monstruous attack. I'd hope that media and Western World would give them the same honour and space that was given to the dead in Paris and in Bruxelles. But who am I kidding? 

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims families and with the wounded and the survivors. I wish that their sufferings won't be used to foster more hate and terror but to put an end to it.

28 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Also it isn't the first time that Pakistan's children are massacred in a monstruous attack. I'd hope that media and Western World would give them the same honour and space that was given to the dead in Paris and in Bruxelles. But who am I kidding? 

I think one of the reasons the coverage isn't as important is the fact that violence (and religious violence with that) and attacks are pretty common in Pakistan, while they are (still) a rarity in Western countries. I don't think there's ever been a suicide attack in Belgium before last week (I might be wrong, but I really don't think so). Bombs and attacks are sort of expected in Pakistan, as awful as it sounds, but not in Belgium. And I think that's the most horrible thing: these kind of events are the norm in some parts of the world and it looks like they become common everywhere. :(

My thoughts go to the victims of Lahore and their families. And may Pakistan find a way to peace, so that this does not happen again. 

I thought I had reached the comfortable point where nothing in the news could make me bawl 'til no tears remained. Then I got to thinking about how many children were killed or seriously injured, how many families were destroyed- all in a blink of eye due to the flawed beliefs and hatred of people towards others and I couldn't help but cry until I was spent.

I wish for peace, for understanding, for mercy and love to become more than just words, but actions.  That's probably one of my more 'pie in the sky' dreams and I realize that the likelihood of this becoming a reality in my lifetime (and beyond) is nil. The more realistic dream is that the world is still spinning to allow my nephew, niece and several godchildren to live their lifetimes.

9 hours ago, sawasdee said:

Not only in Pakistan. Saudi Arabia (while it hypocritically plays the West's ally against terrorism) successfully exportes their wicked Wahhabism (you could also call it Salafism) all over the world, in countries like Belgium, Germany and so on. This has to be stopped, but of course, the other governments are more concerned about their access to cheap oil than the safety of their citizens.

23 hours ago, sawasdee said:

So much this.  I have had arguments with people because I refuse to go on Hajj because I'm not going to Saudi.  I refuse to support them with my dollars, even if it is something that I am supposed to do within my faith.  A married couple I am friends with went on Hajj and the leader of their group was arrested and beaten and kept in prison for a couple of weeks because they don't follow Saudi's forced way of doing things (they're Shi'a).  On another board I'm on someone asked the question about whether or not the Saudi royal family were the "leader of all Muslims."  Oh hell no.  The Saudi's have done more to destroy others, to export religious terrorism based on their extreme ideals than any other group.  From what I've read and studied, they seem to be the financial basis for many of the terrorist groups, or at least, the financial basis of the origins of many of these groups.  These same friends, one of them is Pakistani and they had family members leave for Pakistan on Sunday on an already planned trip, to a neighbourhood that has been bombed in the past because they are Shi'a.  I can't imagine the fear that they live with, having family there :(

I'm so glad to see that fj started a thread about this terrorist attack.  When I first heard, I went online searching for news about it, and had to *search* for it, on cnn, even had a bit of difficulty finding it on bbc.  Same thing with the suicide bomber who went onto the soccer field in Baghdad and activated his vest, killing at least 20 people, again targeting families.  I sort of get that terrorist attacks in some countries are more frequent that it isn't *news* the way terrorists in European countries are, but it feels sometimes that the news agencies, and people in general,  are more sympathetic to white people getting blown up than brown people.  Please note I said *feels*, and I am in no way saying fj'ers en masse or individually place more importance upon European and US terrorism victims.  It just makes me incredibly sad and weary.  My thoughts are with everyone impacted in any way by terrorist attacks.  

On 3/29/2016 at 9:58 AM, canbritam said:

So much this.  I have had arguments with people because I refuse to go on Hajj because I'm not going to Saudi.  I refuse to support them with my dollars, even if it is something that I am supposed to do within my faith.  A married couple I am friends with went on Hajj and the leader of their group was arrested and beaten and kept in prison for a couple of weeks because they don't follow Saudi's forced way of doing things (they're Shi'a).  On another board I'm on someone asked the question about whether or not the Saudi royal family were the "leader of all Muslims."  Oh hell no.  The Saudi's have done more to destroy others, to export religious terrorism based on their extreme ideals than any other group.  From what I've read and studied, they seem to be the financial basis for many of the terrorist groups, or at least, the financial basis of the origins of many of these groups.  These same friends, one of them is Pakistani and they had family members leave for Pakistan on Sunday on an already planned trip, to a neighbourhood that has been bombed in the past because they are Shi'a.  I can't imagine the fear that they live with, having family there :(

I would never got to KSA if I were Shia.  They seek to marginalize Shia, whether they are living in KSA or other adjacent countries.  The Salafism is pretty widespread.  Saudi culture is pretty backwards even in ways that make some of these fundie Christian families seem like something approaching normal.  It seems like the religion is an excuse/method to control the populace. 

@violynn I'm surprised you had troubles to find it on BBC because it made the headlines. I saw it as "breaking news" there. Maybe you were on BBC US? Generally speaking, I have the impression that these kind of news are more relayed by European news sites and agencies than US ones. Lahore attack was (and still is) well covered here (French speaking newspapers), as well as on BBC and the Guardian. It was also on the NYTimes headlines. These are the main English news sites I check on regularly, and I think they are the best (just my opinion).

Back to the topic, I'm really saddened by what happened. So many children and women are among the victims! I really cannot see how such a horrible attack could advance anyone's cause and I really cannot see how anyone could justify it...

Before the current oil glut when the US was importing from Saudi Arabia, I felt like I was financially supporting terrorism every time I turned on the key to my car.  The Saudi export of Wahabism globally is nothing short of a crime.  

@Myrtille it was BBCAmerica.  I've since realized I should always check European news outlets for what is happening in the world.  

3 hours ago, violynn said:

@Myrtille it was BBCAmerica.  I've since realized I should always check European news outlets for what is happening in the world.  

I gave up on US news outlets.  My news alerts on my phone come from BBC and the Guardian.

That's where I'm going for my news from now on too.

2 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

My news alerts on my phone come from BBC and the Guardian.

Same here. And I follow NYTimes & AFP on twitter, as well as two local newspapers, which allows me to have all the news I want and more.

I've come to like Al Jazeera.  Quite a few of their staff are refugees from other stations, and seem to really know their background information.

20 hours ago, sawasdee said:

I've come to like Al Jazeera.  Quite a few of their staff are refugees from other stations, and seem to really know their background information.

It's a tv-station owned by a anti-democratic clan (Thanis), has ties to the Muslim Brotherhood and is very anti shia. It's like watching Fox news, only with terrorist ties.

I've particularly enjoyed their documentaries at present on the Golden Age of Muslim mathematicians - not too much terrorism there.

And their live coverage of both Paris and Brussels was considerably less hysterical and more accurate than most other outlets - including Fox and CNN.

3 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

I've particularly enjoyed their documentaries at present on the Golden Age of Muslim mathematicians - not too much terrorism there.

And their live coverage of both Paris and Brussels was considerably less hysterical and more accurate than most other outlets - including Fox and CNN.

I try to be a decent human being and won't watch a channel with ties to terrorist groups and is owned by a family that rules a country that is dependent on slave labourers/guest workers.

Archived