IGNORED

OMG no insurance without a SSN......

Wolfie

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but my family makes under $50,000. We're a family of five. To get the family plan through my husband's work would cost us about $700 dollars. That is the same cost as my neighbor who makes a bit more but works for the same company as my husband. They only have two kids.

When I was at the dentists, I noticed the dental assistant was couging. I asked her if she was sick. She told me that she couldn't afford to go to the doctor because she didn't have health insurance. Her husband is a teacher but insurance is about $600 through his job.

We have insurance because my husband retired from the military.

We are a family of 2 - no kids yet. :cry: My husband makes just over 50k per year and I do not work. His health insurance is covered 100% by his employer. For me, it's $260 per month to be a dependent on his plan. Our premium will not increase due to the addition of children. His work offers 6 plans at very different premiums and coverage rates. We have the most expensive because our plan covers infertility.

As far as our overall tax %, I am not sure. My husband is a fresh college graduate so we haven't filed yet.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

National Insurance Numbers in the UK are different to an SSN because they are only issued once you are 16 and could be working and therefore taxable. Children never have one.

I know abortion is a serious and much debated issue, but I would love to see this topic return the spiraling cost of healthcare and the crazy who wants the health insurance for her infant but doesn't want to get the kid a social security number to do so. I wish a SS# was the only obstacle between my family and access to care.

What drives me crazy about the whole healthcare thing is that your average person has *no idea* what a certain procedure actually costs. For example, I had to have thyroid surgery two years ago, and I spent one night in the hospital. Now, I'm fortunate because I have a great group plan through my employer. For the surgery, I had to pay a co-pay of $300 (we pay a flat co-pay for any hospitalization, regardless of length). But I have no idea what the actual cost of the surgery was! I could have been $30,000 or $10,000 or a million dollars or anything.

Since most insurance companies bargain with the hospital and with the employer, an MRI might cost $4000 under one insurance plan and $2000 under another insurance plan. So none of us really know what the "market" value of an MRI really is. To me, that just seems like more smoke and mirrors to keep people in the dark.

Personally, I would like to see nationalized healthcare along with some sort of standardization or transparency of costs across the board. Why should one person/insurance company pay $2000 for a procedure and then another person pay $4000 for the exact same procedure? It makes no sense.

Medical coverage for myself and my husband costs about $11,400/year (we don't have kids). I'm fortunate that my employer pays about 70% of that - I pay the other 30%. It works well for now, but that 70% gets eyed every year for cuts, because the insurance is so expensive. I think next year they're going to a deductible plan to try to keep costs down. Supposedly preventive care will will be covered 100%, but for non-preventive stuff (i.e., when we're sick) we'll have to pay out of pocket until we reach the deductible. I'm not looking forward to that!

The thing about the national database fear is, insurance companies already have all that data and use it to deny coverage/claims.

If the federal government had it, they would use it for things like tracking cancer incidence and doing population research on diseases. Right now we don't have good ways of, for instance, noticing cancer clusters or catching the next thalidomide, because the kind of population-level data useful for that is all in private hands. People studying things like possible causes of autism are stuck with secondary data like "children being offered autism intervention services through the public schools" instead of knowing how many kids are diagnosed in each locality and how that's changed over time.

I still want to know how Nurse Nell witnessed the first saline abortion in the US in 1965, when the technique was apparently developed in 1934.

All I know is what we were told, that the doctor doing the abortion had just returned from Japan where he learned the technique and that it was the first saline abortion in the U.S. Perhaps it was the method that was new. A needle was put through the abdominal wall, the amniotic fluid withdrawn, and saline instilled. The girl then went back to her room to await the onset of labor, which happened the next day. The baby was delivered vaginally, with its skin sloughed off due to the saline. It was horrendous.

Nell

Augh, these ideas annoy me. I do not understand why people are so horribly afraid of our government. Or why being "numbered" as a citizen, to avoid fraud and the like is so terrifying.

My dh has a *national ID* in his own country (cue fainting and wailing). Photo ID card and all. And he cant do anything there without that card. I wonder if accepting that card makes him demon spawn. :p

I've been wondering... is your husband Egyptian? From what you've said about his culture and habits, it sounds like he might be from there.

But I don't want a national ID card either. I hate the damn DMV, I don't want to have to go get more photos taken when the ID eventually expires, like it will with my driving license. :-x

I've been wondering... is your husband Egyptian? From what you've said about his culture and habits, it sounds like he might be from there.

But I don't want a national ID card either. I hate the damn DMV, I don't want to have to go get more photos taken when the ID eventually expires, like it will with my driving license. :-x

Because my husband was in the military for several years, I got used to carrying an ID card. It isn't really that big a deal.

The military also has socialized medicine. It wasn't perfect but it was free. I know that there are horror stories about the VA hospitals but active duty service members and their family have decent care.

When my husband taught in a large public school district, we paid about $600 a month or so in health insurance premiums (health, dental, vision). He's teaching at a charter school now and the premium is about $450, but he makes about 1/3 of what he made salary wise in public school. I know for a fact that there are other teachers in his school who cannot afford the premium and therefore have no coverage.

Actually, the main reason he's still teaching post-retirement (besides that he wants to) is for the health insurance. The insurance we could get through his defined benefit plan is really expensive (about $1100 a month to cover me & the sons) and it's really sucky, to boot.

Wow, we pay around $75 a pay period, or $150 a month, which I thought was high, in our district. Because my husband and I work for the same district, we are required to be on his plan, because his birthday comes first in the year, so that's how much it is for the entire family. In my last district, it was $17.50 a pay. I know that my parents, both government employees (mom is state and dad is county), pay around the same. Is that typical for districts in Ohio?

Wow, we pay around $75 a pay period, or $150 a month, which I thought was high, in our district. Because my husband and I work for the same district, we are required to be on his plan, because his birthday comes first in the year, so that's how much it is for the entire family. In my last district, it was $17.50 a pay. I know that my parents, both government employees (mom is state and dad is county), pay around the same. Is that typical for districts in Ohio?

In his former district, if my husband had not taken the family plan, his insurance would have been provided to him at no cost to him.

For health insurance offered by the district, there was Option A and Option B. Option B was a little cheaper, at around $500 a month instead of $600, but with a much higher deductible and higher co-pays.

But if we had both worked for the district and had no kids, for instance, our insurance would have been provided at no cost. Only the family plan teachers had to pay. The district looks at it like they are providing the insurance for the employee, but they really don't want to pay too much for the family.

In the last year's contract negotiations which took place after my husband retired, it was negotiated that singles had to pay something b/c the community was up in arms about single-plan teachers getting insurance for "free". I heard that it was around $40 a pay, or $80 a month.

As far as typical, I'm not sure. Hilliard City Schools, which is a wealthier district that is close by, used to pay all employee premiums, including family premiums, but now their teachers are all paying for part of their insurance, too. But I would say between $450-$600 a month for a family plan is probably about average in this neck of the woods.

Because my husband was in the military for several years, I got used to carrying an ID card. It isn't really that big a deal.

The military also has socialized medicine. It wasn't perfect but it was free. I know that there are horror stories about the VA hospitals but active duty service members and their family have decent care.

It's not so much the idea of the ID card that bothers me, it's the idea of waiting in line at the DMV for yet another form of identification, but I could just be biased because I had to go there about a week ago and it took almost five hours.

Archived