IGNORED

OMG no insurance without a SSN......

Wolfie

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DH's employeer "pays" for his health insurance & he was able to add DH as a dependent as of the day of her birth (2/09), although the cost of her insurance is NOT paid for by his employeer, but taken out of his paycheck

Makes me want to claw my eyes out with a dull pencil. This is why a single payer universal healthcare system will not work in our country -- people lack a basic understanding of how healthcare really works now.

I am against a SSN for moral reasons. Don't want to get into any "forum fights" about it though!

Just want to point out that, well, the Feds will sneak in verbage anywhere they can to get everyone numbered. Or documented. Or fingerprinted.

I guess the point really is, is that they say one thing, but have "other" entities do their dirty work for them.

It was pointed out to the poster that the government is trying to prevent forgeries and identify theft.

Guest Anonymous

I am curious as to what is "immoral" about having a ssn? I guess the ebil gov'ment knowing how many people there are or getting care to them is wrong, even though they can refuse that care if they wish.

I am curious as to what is "immoral" about having a ssn? I guess the ebil gov'ment knowing how many people there are or getting care to them is wrong, even though they can refuse that care if they wish.

Um, yeah. It's just a number. They don't tattoo it on you. No one knows what it is unless you tell them. Everyone has one and they are assigned arbitrarily. That really makes no sense.

Augh, these ideas annoy me. I do not understand why people are so horribly afraid of our government. Or why being "numbered" as a citizen, to avoid fraud and the like is so terrifying.

My dh has a *national ID* in his own country (cue fainting and wailing). Photo ID card and all. And he cant do anything there without that card. I wonder if accepting that card makes him demon spawn. :p

Augh, these ideas annoy me. I do not understand why people are so horribly afraid of our government. Or why being "numbered" as a citizen, to avoid fraud and the like is so terrifying.

Maybe they are so holy that when they go to Whataburger and they give them one of those little striped numbers for their order, they refuse and say "NO. I will not be numbered!"

Speaking of immoral--my college roomie totally stole one of those Whataburger numbers and put it in our room, haha.

What a freaking idiot. I can't even think of a coherent response. Partly because it's early and I haven't even had a full cup of coffee yet and parlty because the stupid is just so....stupid!

Another reason to get a SSN for your kids: you can't take them as a tax deduction without it!!!

If I was a betting woman, I'd say that once this woman's husband figures out they don't get that sweet, sweet tax deduction, he's going to fill out the paperwork.

Oh my gosh, that thread is insane.

No, just FYI - insurance companies don't keep your DNA on file. They don't have the capacity and how would they collect it anyway? Insurance is (usually) administered by the employer, and you can't just demand a cheek swab along with the enrollment form. Plus, at least in California, there are a boatload of laws that keep employers from having medical/genetic information on file. So...not buying it.

According to that forum, if you have a SSN, you're a "sheeple." Right.

In England everybody has a National Insurance Number (well, number and letters) - need one to work, it goes on Payslips, tax stuff, you use it to gain benefits. It's just a plastic card with name and number.....is an SSN the same thing?

In England everybody has a National Insurance Number (well, number and letters) - need one to work, it goes on Payslips, tax stuff, you use it to gain benefits. It's just a plastic card with name and number.....is an SSN the same thing?

Pretty much. . . except that it doesn't get you any health care here. SSNs are printed on medium/heavy card stock.

edited for multiple issues - lol

Wow. Reading that thread made my brain hurt. So is an "employeer" anything like a Mouseketeer?

This Canadian is totally baffled as to why so many low income*, poorly edumacated people are so totally against universal health care. Do they not realize that it is a benefit to them? Rich people don't care about it because they can afford to pay whatever, but for low income folks? Does not compute. Norman, coordinate!

And the SSNs (we have SINs here - bwahaha) are to make sure you are a citizen and entitled to the rights of one. How does not having any ID help at all?

(*I'm making a rash assumption about the people in that forum based on their horrible grammar and spelling)

One commented said that because their son is adopted he doesn't have a birth certificate. Um, fishy adoption there?

Uhm very fishy. Adopted children have birth certificates and ssn.

Uhm very fishy. Adopted children have birth certificates and ssn.

Adoptees have 2 birth certificates, an original which lists their bio parents, the name they were given, hospital, etc; and an amended one with their new name and adoptive parents. Most states seal the original birth certificate and it's very difficult to get that, even when the adoptee is an adult. Bastard Nation was formed to fight for the rights of adult adoptees to get their original birth certificate. My adult children have both of their birth certificates. I got their originals when we adopted them and I kept them.

If an adoptive parent doesn't have an amended birth certificate for their child then something is indeed fishy.

Nell

Wow. Reading that thread made my brain hurt. So is an "employeer" anything like a Mouseketeer?

This Canadian is totally baffled as to why so many low income*, poorly edumacated people are so totally against universal health care. Do they not realize that it is a benefit to them? Rich people don't care about it because they can afford to pay whatever, but for low income folks? Does not compute. Norman, coordinate!

And the SSNs (we have SINs here - bwahaha) are to make sure you are a citizen and entitled to the rights of one. How does not having any ID help at all?

(*I'm making a rash assumption about the people in that forum based on their horrible grammar and spelling)

This completely baffles me too. Unless you truly believe illness is due to sin (and how you lay that on a newborn with a genetic illness is beyond me) and can be cured by faith alone (haven't seen too many amputees grow back their limbs recently) everyone at some point is going to need medical care. The rich can afford insurance. The poor are screwed especially if they live in the red states favored by fundies. Medical care is unbelievably expensive. You can't frugally give your child with leukemia chemotherapy.

quoted from the original post, the stupid it burns us preshusss

DH's employeer "pays" for his health insurance & he was able to add DH as a dependent as of the day of her birth (2/09), although the cost of her insurance is NOT paid for by his employeer, but taken out of his paycheck.

*FACEPALM* uhh that's how insurance works. Your company negotiates a deal and you help pay for it. DURRR. If you were buying it on the free market, guess what it would probably cost you a hell of a lot more.

This completely baffles me too. Unless you truly believe illness is due to sin (and how you lay that on a newborn with a genetic illness is beyond me) and can be cured by faith alone (haven't seen too many amputees grow back their limbs recently) everyone at some point is going to need medical care. The rich can afford insurance. The poor are screwed especially if they live in the red states favored by fundies. Medical care is unbelievably expensive. You can't frugally give your child with leukemia chemotherapy.

Simple. The child is paying for the sins of his/her mother.

Had another WOW moment. Just watch Jon Stewart's clips from the Tea party debate the other night. The questioner (questioneer?) asked what would the candidate do about a 30 year old man who didn't have insurance because he was young and healthy, who got in an accident and put into a coma. Response - well, that's the risk he took.

Questioner - so you'd just let him die?

Audience members - YES (several shout outs)

Holy crap! And this from the pro-life people I gather. Holy crap!

Archived