IGNORED

Jeremiah at ALERT?

habert

9 minutes ago, ShepherdontheRock said:

I feel like so many of the kids go to reprogramming camp of some kind that it's almost a rite of passage.

I wonder if they'll be more vigilant at sending kids to those camps in years to come...or if they'll stop caring.

I'm sure by the time they get down to the youngest howlers and the lost girls they won't have the money or their "good name" to afford it. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And when Jer finishes at Alert he can just stay in Big Sandy and work on rehabbing the Pecan Thief's house. Perhaps side by side with Josh.

The younger boys did something called Alert Cadet, which JB said was like boy scouts. They learned to build fires. Other than that, it wasn't much like scouts because it only lasted for the week they were there. The girls did crafts and other ladylike things. I remember being glad that my girl guide troop let us build fires and chop wood, etc. I would have been pissed if I were a Duggar girl and didn't get to do the stuff the boys were doing.

In one of the Q & A sessions, someone asked how they would feel if one of the kids wanted to join the military. JB said they would be proud. :liar1:

28 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

The younger boys did something called Alert Cadet, which JB said was like boy scouts. They learned to build fires. Other than that, it wasn't much like scouts because it only lasted for the week they were there. The girls did crafts and other ladylike things. I remember being glad that my girl guide troop let us build fires and chop wood, etc. I would have been pissed if I were a Duggar girl and didn't get to do the stuff the boys were doing.

I remember watching an episode when Jason and the boy twins were doing Alert Scouts, and it seems like a "family integrated" version of regular Boy Scouts. While mainstream scouting in general emphasizes self-reliance and self-motivated projects, Alert Scouts have the father's hovering over the boys to ensure that autonomy does not happen. If you insist on having the dads micromanage evrrything, it defeats the whole purpose of scouting. Alert Scouts is like anti-scouting.

50 minutes ago, blessalessi said:

Is Alert the more punitive, labour-based version, while JTTH is the more guilt-laden introspection-focused one?

Yes, which I why I've always wondered why JD did JTTH, as he has never seemed particularly introspective or even like he was in much need of reprogramming. Maybe JD voiced some quasi-rebellious thoughts that had to be squashed.

32 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

In one of the Q & A sessions, someone asked how they would feel if one of the kids wanted to join the military. JB said they would be proud. :liar1:

He said he would be proud. Not that he would allow it. Lying by omission is the Duggarway to handle all questions...

23 minutes ago, Jinderella said:

He said he would be proud. Not that he would allow it. Lying by omission is the Duggarway to handle all questions...

Good point.

So sad, if this is true.  I always thought he was one of the better looking Duggar boys.  These people are batshit crazy.

Head shaving is standard military procedure for boot camp. Son is an officer and still keeps his hair really short. Easier to take care of when you're busy.

6 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

One of the twins has always been the creative artsy type but I can't remember which one?

Perhaps ALERT is to brainwash that out of him?

Jeremiah is the one who wrote a poem for his parents during that dinner theater thing. I think Michelle mentioned him being creative. I can't remember now.

2 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I remember watching an episode when Jason and the boy twins were doing Alert Scouts, and it seems like a "family integrated" version of regular Boy Scouts. While mainstream scouting in general emphasizes self-reliance and self-motivated projects, Alert Scouts have the father's hovering over the boys to ensure that autonomy does not happen. If you insist on having the dads micromanage evrrything, it defeats the whole purpose of scouting. Alert Scouts is like anti-scouting.

Yes, which I why I've always wondered why JD did JTTH, as he has never seemed particularly introspective or even like he was in much need of reprogramming. Maybe JD voiced some quasi-rebellious thoughts that had to be squashed.

JD did JTTH? I don't know much about it. I thought it was just for girls.

4 hours ago, socalrules said:

Maybe going to Alert is like wealthy people sending their kids to expensive boarding schools. It is a point of pride and envy in the fundy community. Like a fundy Caste system, if you can't afford to go then your family is not one of the special families. $4k for a 9 or 10 week worthless program is ridiculous. Some private schools cost less than that for the whole school year. I wonder how most families pay for it. How do they decide which son gets to go? I can't imagine that families can afford to send every son to Alert. It is interesting that Joseph was allowed to go to Alert and go to Crown College for a year. Maybe Jim Bob has plans for him. 

Is it worth the money? That's quite a lot. Is it a very intensive experience? 

6 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

One of the twins has always been the creative artsy type but I can't remember which one?

Perhaps ALERT is to brainwash that out of him?

They seem to encourage musical proficiency, but what about other creative pursuits? Is their participation limited by how potential "subversive" they are?

It seems completely pointless. They are learning skills that they'll probably never be able to use in the real world. It's so expensive too!  There has to be a brainwashing aspect to it. 

7 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

It seems completely pointless. They are learning skills that they'll probably never be able to use in the real world. It's so expensive too!  There has to be a brainwashing aspect to it. 

I would bet that the kids going through it have no idea how worthless it is in the real world. They likely think that this puts them ahead of kids in the outside world. It is probably another one of the shocks they get when they finally go out into the real world and realize how behind they actually are. Kind of like how they have no idea that they have received such a substandard education.

7 minutes ago, socalrules said:

I would bet that the kids going through it have no idea how worthless it is in the real world. They likely think that this puts them ahead of kids in the outside world. It is probably another one of the shocks they get when they finally go out into the real world and realize how behind they actually are. Kind of like how they have no idea that they have received such a substandard education.

This, exactly.

I went to the Alert website and the pictures alone gave me the creeps.  I feel sorry for those kids.

On the blog they mentioned some kind of parents' night event.  Some parents were quoted as being pleased with the changes in their sons.  Brainwashing.

I have to go punch something now. :(

1 hour ago, seraaa said:

Is it worth the money? That's quite a lot. Is it a very intensive experience? 

They seem to encourage musical proficiency, but what about other creative pursuits? Is their participation limited by how potential "subversive" they are?

I know they encourage music, but I don't think they encourage art.  I've never seen kids artwork on their fridge or anything (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

6 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I know they encourage music, but I don't think they encourage art.  I've never seen kids artwork on their fridge or anything (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

They've done craft projects before- signs when someone visits or comes home from a trip. I seem to recall a "robot" made out of a cardboard box too.

26 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Jana once made cardboard cutouts of a nativity scene, I think.  

That's interesting about the lack of refrigerator pictures.  We don't have kids but we have the neighbors' kids' artwork on our refrigerator.  We even have a picture that one of them drew in our living room.  I love kiddie art. ;)

@Bethella, I didn't see that episode but I made a robot out of boxes as a kid. :)

1 hour ago, ClaraOswin said:

Jeremiah is the one who wrote a poem for his parents during that dinner theater thing. I think Michelle mentioned him being creative. I can't remember now.

JD did JTTH? I don't know much about it. I thought it was just for girls.

Although we mostly talk about the one for "young ladies" because that's the one the J'slaves attend, there are actually JTTHs for every demographic in Gothardism. The website lists upcoming JTTHs for mothers/women, young men's (presumably the one JD attended), fathers/men, and young ladies:

http://iblp.org/programs/journey-heart

I saw a picture of JD at JTTH when I was posting at TWoP. JTTH seem to be one of IBLP few money makers, which is probably why there are so many sessions. However, because there are so many sessions, the group picture he was in is probably lost to time. Interesting how being a man or woman is associated with being a father or mother. The young men/ladies ones go up to 30, which makes me wonder what some of the older SAHD Gothard daughters will do when they age out of the young ladies section but aren't married yet. What will their parents do for brainwashing then?

I'm thinking that at 30 the brainwashing should be complete. If it's not, maybe we'll see more escaped fundies.

39 minutes ago, Bethella said:

They've done craft projects before- signs when someone visits or comes home from a trip. I seem to recall a "robot" made out of a cardboard box too.

I remember the robot too. That was done by a young Josiah. I think a small level of creativity is encouraged in the younger kids, but they are told to shed such things when they become "young ladies" and "young men" around fourteen or so.

5 hours ago, blessalessi said:

Is Alert the more punitive, labour-based version, while JTTH is the more guilt-laden introspection-focused one?

I think Alert is male and JTTH female.

I think Alert is male and JTTH female.

Alert is male, but as Cleopatra7 found, JTTH spans all possible demographics. Perhaps Gothard is building an army [emoji23]

17 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

Alert is male, but as Cleopatra7 found, JTTH spans all possible demographics. Perhaps Gothard is building an army emoji23.png

This makes my skin crawl.  It's a scary thought.  

Archived