IGNORED

To snark watch or not to snark watch

Edhelfin

Starting with the assumption that people on this board are critical of the Duggars and would like them to fade into infinity...

I was just wondering what kind of justifications people come up with for hate-watching, snark watching, whatever is the preferred term. In my opinion, it generates income for the Duggars the same way leghumpers do by drooling over Jim Bob's mane or Michelle's 'superior' parenting skills. But perhaps there are ways to watch a channel without becoming a statistic in the ratings, which I am unaware of. I live in the UK and do not even have a TV - I do not watch Duggars on YouTube etc as well, but I am aware of what kind of train wreck they are. Reading some news headlines about them every now and then seems more than enough.

So... genuinely interested in the answers. Are guilty pleasures more important than the fact that these people are awful examples for the society?

• Upvote 8
blessalessi

I am so glad you opened up this discussion! I have often wondered this too.

I am also from the UK and (with only Freesat here)  have only ever seen bits of the Duggar programmes on other people's tellies or on YouTube. I found them really vapid and boring previously, but I think I would be tempted to watch the specials if they were available here now, precisely because of the Joshgate stuff. And that is uncomfortable because I would then be supporting them to continue in the lifestyle.

For other UK people, a very real connundrum for us: do you read the Daily HateMail online, since it is the main "newspaper" that syndicates all of the fundie-related stories from the USA?  My honest answer: I try not to give them the clicks, but sometimes I do. :pb_neutral:

• Upvote 4
Ungodly Grandma
26 minutes ago, Edhelfin said:

Starting with the assumption that people on this board are critical of the Duggars and would like them to fade into infinity...

I was just wondering what kind of justifications people come up with for hate-watching, snark watching, whatever is the preferred term. In my opinion, it generates income for the Duggars the same way leghumpers do by drooling over Jim Bob's mane or Michelle's 'superior' parenting skills. But perhaps there are ways to watch a channel without becoming a statistic in the ratings, which I am unaware of. I live in the UK and do not even have a TV - I do not watch Duggars on YouTube etc as well, but I am aware of what kind of train wreck they are. Reading some news headlines about them every now and then seems more than enough.

So... genuinely interested in the answers. Are guilty pleasures more important than the fact that these people are awful examples for the society?

I enjoy the snark, never watched the show. Loads of good recaps available, most people who write them use expressions like "it's like watching paint dry."

• Upvote 6
blessalessi

The thing with recaps is that they are obviously being filtered through the eyes of a second party. They are enjoyable in their own right, but not the same as watching something for yourself and making your own observations.

32 minutes ago, Edhelfin said:

I live in the UK and do not even have a TV - I do not watch Duggars on YouTube etc as well, but I am aware of what kind of train wreck they are. Reading some news headlines about them every now and then seems more than enough.

The bolded is what prompts my Daily HateMail conundrum though. That paper (and its syndicates) spews hate and ruins lives, and reading about the Duggars there feels "dirtier" to me than watching them on tv. 

I don't have the answer and I don't have clean hands.  I am just pressing the point because I don't think the tv programmes are the only problematic thing here.

• Upvote 3
EmainMacha
13 minutes ago, blessalessi said:

For other UK people, a very real connundrum for us: do you read the Daily HateMail online, since it is the main "newspaper" that syndicates all of the fundie-related stories from the USA?  My honest answer: I try not to give them the clicks, but sometimes I do. :pb_neutral:

I wish I didn't but I do sometimes give the Daily Fail the clicks they want. I feel dirty just typing that.

If I share anything from them I use donotlink to mitigate the effects of possible increased traffic (in reality I doubt they get much extra links from anything I share but it's the principle of the thing).

• Upvote 2
blessalessi

Even reading with adblock, there is no getting away from the Column of Shame in the right hand sidebar of every page where every woman that ever dared to leave the house is ridiculed and shamed for wearing no make up/too much make up/ the wrong makeup/ and/or being a slut/bitch/famewhore and whatever else women who leave the house deserve to be shamed for. 

WRT the tv programmes, I appreciate the way that the dangerous subtleties of the lifestyle are picked out by the hate critics. The blanket training, scheduling, the crappy education are things that tend to be glossed over by the "good Christians" watching from the UK that I am aware of.  I think it is important that when ordinary viewers google for more information that sites like FJ are high in the google rankings.  We seem to have become a bit more leg-humperish lately, so it seems even more important that the critics are here too.

• Upvote 2

because I want to :D and I stand by that 

and I love LOVE FJ 

Edited by nst
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1
Mercer

I can't even bring myself to hate watch the show because it's so boring and they're so annoying. I rely on others to recap and/or direct me to the relevant clips.

• Upvote 7
Swamptribe

Honestly, I had no intention of watching the new season.  Mr. Tribe wanted to.  Mainly as an excuse to drink some wine and snark.  He finds them amusing.  Since the show is on at the same time as another show we enjoy, we DVR it at the later showing, and watch it a few days later.

• Upvote 1
crazydaffodil

I have no problem with not watching these fame whores who think they are something special just because they live a different lifestyle.:tw_confounded:

• Upvote 1
anotherone

I think it is sort of human nature that when people are hypocrites and put on false airs, you want to see them fall. It happens with any way one can act superior, from flaunting their money or social status, or beauty, or youth, or fame.  In this case the Duggars acted superior and that their lives were better than the unsaved heathens, because they followed this wacky religion.  That just made people, who otherwise may not have cared, now be anxious for them to fall.

Now if they had a show where they just followed the religion, but were super nice and friendly to everyone around, and donated time and money to soup kitchens, mission efforts, etc. then probably no one would be hate watching.  They brought it upon themselves with the smug attitude.  People want to bring out evidence of their hypocrisy.

• Upvote 5
Mothership

I'm still not clear how our watching benefits the Duggars.   I'm not a Nielsen viewer, so how exactly is my tv tuned to TLC benefitting them.  My suspicion has always been that viewing numbers are based on multiples of Nielsen numbers.  Am I totally off here?   Can and does my cable company track my viewing habit this specifically?  What about the DVR--how is that figure into the equation as much of my TV viewing is from pre-recorded shows.  I would really appreciate someone in the know replying.  Is my cable company "Big Brother"?

I have been contacting advertisers.  I would never support a personal appearance or purchase a book as that does directly benefit the family.

• Upvote 3
blessalessi

I don't know for sure, but I presume the sponsoring companies will use much more detailed information than the official viewing figures to support their decisions. So if viewers are influenced subliminally by product placement or featured ads, then in general terms, our hate viewing will result in increased sales, and will feed into the supply/demand chain that way.

Also, the discussions here can go two ways.  The critiques may put some people off the Duggars but the extensive posting and excitement will draw others in, so wemay inadvertently play a part in building the audience for the new series that way.

• Upvote 2
downtherabbithole
20 minutes ago, Mothership said:

I'm still not clear how our watching benefits the Duggars.   I'm not a Nielsen viewer, so how exactly is my tv tuned to TLC benefitting them.  My suspicion has always been that viewing numbers are based on multiples of Nielsen numbers.  Am I totally off here?   Can and does my cable company track my viewing habit this specifically?  What about the DVR--how is that figure into the equation as much of my TV viewing is from pre-recorded shows.  I would really appreciate someone in the know replying.  Is my cable company "Big Brother"?

I have been contacting advertisers.  I would never support a personal appearance or purchase a book as that does directly benefit the family.

I have always wondered this as well. With that being said, I do not currently have cable and I would not watch even if I did in case it does count towards something. I feel that doing my part by not watching will eventually help them come off of the air. 

• Upvote 1
CoveredInBees

I don't watch them on tv, I read the recaps on here (to be fair, UK is behind anyway and 'Counting On' is yet to air here) and I haven't really watched them since Josh and Anna married.

I am, however, thoroughly guilty of reading about them online via the gossip mags and the Daily Fail. My only saving grace is that I don't buy them so although I'm falling for the click bait I'm not actually giving them my own money.

• Upvote 1
PecanThief

I used to hate watch before all the scandals and I thought they were just crappy people but now that it's been exposed how truly horrible they are I refuse to give them even hate views.

I just read recaps here and occasionally watch clips on youtube.

• Upvote 2
Edhelfin

I can definitely relate to the 'too scary to watch' statement. I remember reading the discussion in here about Duggars talking about how humans lived alongside dinosaurs like Flintstones when they went to the Creation Museum. I was about to click on the link but could not bring myself to watch it. Reading a quote coming from their mouths is annoying, but hearing it on screen would make them... more real, in some ways. And that scares me.

Cannot believe I am quoting the disgusting PP but... Duggars multiply by reproducing AND recruiting. How do they reach the masses and recruit? By airtime. I think it is great that nowadays there are some news about sponsors backing out, any damage done to their brand is better than nothing.

They will be fine to live a modest life, if the income from the show is not there. Jim Bob has enough properties. Hell, they may even start driving around less, washing their plates instead of using disposable ones and grow some food! But a massive difference to the society will be the fact that they will be able to 'recruit' less.

• Upvote 3
HarleyQuinn

Since the show game back, I no longer snark watch. I don't want to give them my ratings, I just read Buzzard's recaps and maybe a clip if it's uploaded to a source other than TLC. 

• Upvote 5

How ratings work

Nielsen Ratings are the primary method, especially for broadcast TV. Households are randomly selected to become paid participants in a survey of what they watch. Some are simply asked to write down what they watch on a diary, others receive a box they connect to their TV that notes what they watch and then sends the information to Nielsen. It's a flawed system, though. For example, young people tend to watch a lot of shows on devices other than their TV. Nielsen is trying to account for other devices, but shows like Community tend to get low Nielsen Ratings even though they are well-received.

Also Dvr and Tivos are tracked.

• Upvote 2
SassyPants

I have never been a regular viewer.    I did watch the Jill wedding special and haven't watched since.

• Upvote 1
Percy

The recaps by Buzzard are enough for me.  The shows were very boring, and now I know what Josh did, I could not watch again.

• Upvote 4
FundieFarmer

I'm not a regular viewer either. I watched the Megyn Kelly interview and that was it.

• Upvote 3
Bushes of Love

Another UK person here.

I watch it online (in unscrupulous ways, because that's the only way to see the show over here), but I watch it the same way I read Daily Fail articles.....which is to seeming put my blood pressure up to boiling point.

• Upvote 2
Imagine20

I just read the Buzzard recaps. That's enough for me. 

I don't believe that Nielsen is the only way they capture viewer data. It might be the "official" way, but I think they take information from every digital box the cable and satellite companies provide. It doesn't make business sense to rely only on estimates like Nielsen instead of the  more comprehensive, real time data that digital boxes provide. 

• Upvote 4