IGNORED

John Maxwell in three vehicle accident!

SPHASH

8 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

That's sad. But also, why couldn't Sarah still blog as a married woman? Even the holiest of christian stay-at-home-submit-to-their-husbands-homeschooling wives and moms still blog. :my_dodgy:

Because she would no longer be a MAXWELL then, duh!  Speaking of which can you imagine the river of tears that would flow if Sarah got married?  Tears when she got engaged, tears when she walked down the aisle (and gave herself to another man who is not Daddy) and tears when she moved out of the house to a completely different -- not MAXWELL-- house. Even if that hypothetical Not Maxwell house was right next door there would be tears over the "separation."

Who would cry harder, Mary, Anna, or Steve?  I know that it wouldn't be Teri because I feel certain Teri would smile her painful smile but her eyes would be dry.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

That's sad. But also, why couldn't Sarah still blog as a married woman? Even the holiest of christian stay-at-home-submit-to-their-husbands-homeschooling wives and moms still blog. :my_dodgy:

Clearly, nobody who doesn't live full-time in the House of Maxwell v. 1.0 could be trusted to properly blog about singing at a nursing home or cleaning ceiling fans. There's nuance there!

• 2 months later...

John just posted about his new truck that was provided by the Lord after his three vehicle accident. 

6 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

John just posted about his new truck that was provided by the Lord after his three vehicle accident. 

Does the Lord provides cars? I'm going to church right now, asking for a new one. Hope He listens!

6 hours ago, FloraKitty35 said:

Is that why so many things are going wrong in the world?  God is moonlighting at Allstate instead of dealing with climate change, overpopulation, global hungar, economic collapse, proliferation of nuclear weapons, and the list goes on.

41 minutes ago, Flossie said:

Is that why so many things are going wrong in the world?  God is moonlighting at Allstate instead of dealing with climate change, overpopulation, global hungar, economic collapse, proliferation of nuclear weapons, and the list goes on.

Sorry, families of the Orlando victims, starving children in refugee camps and besieged cities, mothers selling everything they own to feed their babies, young people dying of cancer, and everyone else who's suffering in the world, God's gotta make sure John has a new pickup truck!

Yes, it's wonderful!  God looked around for a while and then found the perfect truck. Similar to the previous one just a little bit newer, with fewer miles and a few upgrades.  It's also heartening to hear from John that, 'as far as he knows', no one involved in his accident suffered serious injuries.  In other words, he has no idea whether anyone was hurt.  So, all good news. Glad God is doing his thing for John Maxwell.  Fuck the hundred people injured and slaughtered in Orlando. God was truck hunting. 

I have to say, all these fundies moaning about how they can't do life without Jesus and how He provides for them makes them sound totally helpless and weak, unable to do things for themselves. It's a depressing state of affairs. Substitute "God" for something like "my pillow" and you have a My Strange Addiction episode (well, pillows don't provide cars, but mainly the can't do life without them part). Steve may wonder how people do life without Jesus. Well, we look inside ourselves, Stevie boy. It's amazing what we can find within ourselves if we look hard enough. I don't need some invisible dude in the sky to tell me how to live. Plus by all accounts he sounds like an asshole. Because of ONE dude eating an apple, all of humanity is forever doomed to sin? Piss off. I'll never forget that Thanksgiving post where Anna wrote about knowing she deserves Hell. So. Bloody. Depressing. 

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Does the Lord provides cars? I'm going to church right now, asking for a new one. Hope He listens!

here's one for you, Steve Maxwell: 

I provided myself with a new car last summer; does that mean I'm God? 

(disclaimer:  my apologies to FJ members of faith; in no way am I belittling your beliefs.  I'm just trying to illustrate a point on the absurdity of this Maxwell philosophy.)

58 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I have to say, all these fundies moaning about how they can't do life without Jesus and how He provides for them makes them sound totally helpless and weak, unable to do things for themselves. It's a depressing state of affairs. Substitute "God" for something like "my pillow" and you have a My Strange Addiction episode (well, pillows don't provide cars, but mainly the can't do life without them part). Steve may wonder how people do life without Jesus. Well, we look inside ourselves, Stevie boy. It's amazing what we can find within ourselves if we look hard enough. I don't need some invisible dude in the sky to tell me how to live. Plus by all accounts he sounds like an asshole. Because of ONE dude eating an apple, all of humanity is forever doomed to sin? Piss off. I'll never forget that Thanksgiving post where Anna wrote about knowing she deserves Hell. So. Bloody. Depressing. 

It's even worse, the apple stands for knowledge. God wanted us to be ignorant and got into a mighty strop when we learned a thing of two on our own. He wanted us a bit more plant-like.

(I guess he was too silly to design us properly, why the big brains if he didn't want us to use them?)

1 minute ago, Foudeb said:

It's even worse, the apple stands for knowledge. God wanted us to be ignorant and got into a mighty strop when we learned a thing of two on our own. He wanted us a bit more plant-like.

(I guess he was too silly to design us properly, why the big brains if he didn't want us to use them?)

Ahhhhhhh. Hence the SOTDRT. Wanting children to remain ignorant of as many things as possible (except of course the Bible).

4 hours ago, Foudeb said:

No, it stands for the knowledge of good and evil.  Not all knowledge.  Important difference.

Also it never says it was an apple.

13 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

That's not how God works. You have to steal the car and then ask God to forgive you.

8 hours ago, CyborgKin said:

No, it stands for the knowledge of good and evil.  Not all knowledge.  Important difference.

This is actually an interesting point about what fruit it was. I think we've just become used to the idea of it being an apple because that's how it's often depicted in Western art. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_fruit

(Apologies for thread hijack!)

But anyway. The idea of original sin and how extreme it seems (to me anyway) is just one of the reasons why I wouldn't be religious. God is an asshole about plenty of other things...

13 hours ago, catlady said:

here's one for you, Steve Maxwell: 

I provided myself with a new car last summer; does that mean I'm God? 

(disclaimer:  my apologies to FJ members of faith; in no way am I belittling your beliefs.  I'm just trying to illustrate a point on the absurdity of this Maxwell philosophy.)

I believe that I am among a select few people who will be blessed with a Maserati. I guess you could say that I'm a Car-vinist. *Puts on Horatio Caine sunglasses*

This must have been one of us

1. Valerie says:

To God be the glory!

I left a simple message stating how large it was and how big my namesake was, but Stevie was having penis envy problems. 

Is a back rub in order Stevie? 

Holy dangling participle Batman!

"After a few weeks of looking, the Lord provided a new truck."

You would think an omnipotent god could just provide a new truck without looking...wouldn't he already know where to find the perfect truck? No need to look, Lord, you already knew! :auto-car:

If I may, with all apologies to St. Huey Lewis Of The News.  It's far from perfect but if I don't share it, the earworm will never stop:

I Wanna New Truck

by John Maxwell

I wanna new truck
One that hasn’t been hit

One that has just a few add-ons
To duplicate my former rig

Please God, make it happen

Bike rides just won’t do

Get an F-one-fifty for me, you know I am due
I worship only You!

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

If I may, with all apologies to St. Huey Lewis Of The News.  It's far from perfect but if I don't share it, the earworm will never stop:

I Wanna New Truck

by John Maxwell

I wanna new truck
One that hasn’t been hit

One that has just a few add-ons
To duplicate my former rig

Please God, make it happen

Bike rides just won’t do

Get an F-one-fifty for me, you know I am due
I worship only You!

That reminds me of Janis Joplin's song Mercedes Benz. (Any young whipper snappers will have to google it).

Great. God provided him with a safe and reliable method of transportation. It was definitely not decades of engineering in not only automotive design, but also steel creation, plastics, textiles, petroleum extraction. All the people who built computers and the robots on the line, the people who wrote legislation and safety standards. Thousands of people created that truck, and someone else financed it new and maintained it so that John can credit God for telling him to look at Craigslist. 

If they simply but effectively advertised themselves as handyman services/remodelers, they'd do great.  

All of you clarifying that part of the problem is their lack of effective socialization are right on target.  Their only frame of reference is Steve, and no other frame of reference is allowed.  Let's face it, Steve's idea of normal is pretty damned weird.  I think the correct term for their family dynamic is enmeshed.  For example, here's a description of enmeshment from the Maria Droste Counseling Center in Colorado:

When families are enmeshed....... children are raised to conform to their parents’ expectations of who they are, what they believe, and how they think and feel....[and] individuation so necessary to being truly independent doesn’t occur. 

From the Overcoming Botkin Syndrom Web site, quoting Dr. David Stoop & Dr. James Masteller's in "Forgiving Our Parents, Forgiving Ourselves":  

Enmeshed families are characterized by an extreme sense of closeness, so much so that almost any expression of independence or separateness is seen as disloyalty to the family. This kind of false loyalty is a very high value in an Enmeshed family.

Can't imagine what's going to happen to this family when Steve moves on to his eternal rest. I doubt if they'll get out the Ouija board and try to make contact, but I'm sure one of the boys will carry on the Stevehovah tradition. 

On 6/14/2016 at 4:51 PM, CyborgKin said:

On 6/15/2016 at 1:31 AM, mango_fandango said:

This is actually an interesting point about what fruit it was. I think we've just become used to the idea of it being an apple because that's how it's often depicted in Western art. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_fruit

This led me to some information on John Allegro.  If any of you are interested in the impact of psychedelics on religion, and Christianity in particular, John Allegro may be your man.  Here's a wiki entry and you can take it from there.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_M._Allegro  His books, and specifically The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross, were missing from the shelves at the University of Texas at Austin when I went to look for them 4 years ago.  I suspect someone decided they didn't belong there.  Or they were too stoned to remember to return them to the library.    

On 6/17/2016 at 10:24 AM, kpmom said:

That reminds me of Janis Joplin's song Mercedes Benz. (Any young whipper snappers will have to google it).

Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Ford F One Fifty...

On June 17, 2016 at 11:24 AM, kpmom said:

I know that song. I didn't realize it was a Janis Joplin one. 

Archived