IGNORED

Doug Philips is a tool (at best) and the now defunct Vision Forum - Part 3

Boogalou

Screenshot from Dougie's public FB page (he calls himself "Doug WP"). Note Beall's comment - "We are well - take a look at Vision Forum's page. :-)"

ETA: The one question I would ask DPIAT's leghumpers: would you feel comfortable leaving your teenage/young adult daughter alone in a room with Doug? Think very carefully.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 11.35.37 PM.png

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, FundieFarmer said:

I found the comments on the shares of the two posts featuring documents to be very interesting. One says, "I wonder if those who were so quick to distance themselves will be so quick to reconcile." Well, who knows. Some commented that the news made their day while others said they were skeptical about the whole thing. 

In the shares of the first post post, one woman called DPIAT a "a wonderful role model of a man to our boys". Uh, okay. 

Unless you personally know one of the people who shared, and then it's much more infuriating and disappointing than interesting. Particularly when all comments were deleted. Ugh. 

5 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

Julie at Spiritual Sounding Board has a recap and update.

Julie Anne hit it out of the park again.  She also called Doug an "unrepentant self-absorbed Tool" in the comment section.  Thanks, Julie Anne.

If Doug is seriously trying a comeback, we should probably be keeping an eye out for media stories on this, especially where the original story was covered.  

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Julie Anne hit it out of the park again.  She also called Doug an "unrepentant self-absorbed Tool" in the comment section.  Thanks, Julie Anne.

If Doug is seriously trying a comeback, we should probably be keeping an eye out for media stories on this, especially where the original story was covered.  

My question is what could the Tool come back as? Since he now attends a mainstream church, it doesn't seem like he believes in the nonsense he once spewed about the evils of age-segregated churches. Even if the Tool's followers buy the "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" garbage, his about face on FICs when that model became inconvenient for him should cause them to pause. A while ago, it was mentioned that he might be trying to sell some kind of history documentary, but given what passed as "history" at VF, I doubt that he'd be able to find any takers in the mainstream media. David Barton has the fundie pseudo-history market sewn up, and he doesn't have a sex scandal tainting his name. Plus, poorly researched books are much cheaper to produce that the kind of multimedia extravaganzas the Tool favors.

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

My question is what could the Tool come back as?

Hard to say. He may still be doing market research on this question.

On the one hand, he seems to have many of his leghumpers still firmly attached to his pantslegs and, judging from his FB page(s), he still holds many of the same loyalties (e.g., the lament for Roy Moore). OTOH, there seems to be less of Jesus/God/the Lord in his pronouncements, which suggests rebranding of some kind.

Another real question is why Doug Gibbs 3 hasn't yet been disciplined by a relevant state bar? 

ETA: Lourdes has reposted the VF post -- good to see the supportive comments. Also, it's wonderful see the positive things she's doing or involved in as shown on the FB page.

On 2016-11-02 at 2:03 PM, CloakNDagger said:

He sure looks smug in the last picture.

All I can think of is what they are NOT denying happened. This all seems to be a play with words.

Doug didn't sexually molest Lourdes when she was a minor.
They did not have sexual intercourse.
He did not ejaculate on her face.

That still means that he can have sexually molested her as an adult. She was almost 18 when he started grooming her and about 25 (I think?) when the scandal broke.
They did not have sexual intercourse. (Does the expression "sexual intercourse" include oral sex?) That still makes room for Doug masturbating in front of her, kissing or groping her. One example.
He did not ejaculate on her face. Maybe it landed on her tits? Or the floor? Or they stopped before he ejaculated?

Doug has admitted that he had a "lengthy, inappropriate relationship" with her. If nothing physical ever happened between them, I think that the lawyers would have chosen to write something like "Doug Phillips has never ejaculated in the presence of Lourdes". But no, he did't ejacualte "on her face".
The devil's in the details.

10 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Screenshot from Dougie's public FB page (he calls himself "Doug WP"). Note Beall's comment - "We are well - take a look at Vision Forum's page. :-)"

ETA: The one question I would ask DPIAT's leghumpers: would you feel comfortable leaving your teenage/young adult daughter alone in a room with Doug? Think very carefully.

Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 11.35.37 PM.png

Well, Terri Brower sound like a real piece of shit.  Poor Doug Phillips is a Tool had to pay a high price.  How dare that bitch Lourdes try to taint his saintly name!  

Ugh!  I hate these people.  I can't imagine how Lourdes feels.  I just hope she is able to heal from this BS.  The best revenge is a full happy life.  Many blessings to you Lourdes.

1 minute ago, VooDooChild said:

Well, Terri Brower sound like a real piece of shit.  Poor Doug Phillips is a Tool had to pay a high price.  How dare that bitch Lourdes try to taint his saintly name!  

Ugh!  I hate these people.  I can't imagine how Lourdes feels.  I just hope she is able to heal from this BS.  The best revenge is a full happy life.  Many blessings to you Lourdes.

Based on Lourdes' public FB, she's already accomplished more than Doug Phillips ever has, especially since the latter is still trying to be a big frog in his tiny fundie pond. She's certainly doing better than the other "Visionary Daughters," most of whom are still waiting around for "Prince Charming" as their lives pass before their eyes. 

2 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Based on Lourdes' public FB, she's already accomplished more than Doug Phillips ever has, especially since the latter is still trying to be a big frog in his tiny fundie pond. She's certainly doing better than the other "Visionary Daughters," most of whom are still waiting around for "Prince Charming" as their lives pass before their eyes. 

This is good to hear.  I hope she continues to do well.  I'm feeling a bit bitchy, so I will say that hope the "Visionary Daughters" take notice of the good that comes to Lourdes and squirm with bitterness.  And maybe I wouldn't mind if they felt guilty about that bitterness.  Something needs to jar these girl women out of the nasty spell their parents cast over them.

19 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

Carmon Friedrich comes out swinging

She has become very vocal about sexual abuse, particularly of minors, since family members were found to have been victims.

Good for her.

ETA: A very telling comment from Carmon's post:

Sick. I spent years feeling guilty because someone at my church who followed him like a cult leader led groups that touted everything VF. I was told we were not good enough Christians because we *only* had two children, I worked outside the home and we didn't believe homeschooling was a salvation requirement. I so wish many more had you attitude and contrite heart Carmen, and could repent of leading many astray.

Yeah, I have to give it to Carmon. She has definitely humbled herself and learned from experience. 

So... No supportive Facebook post from soon-to-be in-law Spanky yet? Why do I have a feeling that Doug keeps getting his voicemail? 

1 hour ago, hoipolloi said:

Hard to say. He may still be doing market research on this question.

Yes, I think this is a trial balloon to gauge levels of support.  He's probably noting all the people sending supportive messages carefully, on Facebook and in personal correspondence.   

Meh, as I said back when the settlement was announced I don't think he'll ever reach his former heights.  He can try as hard as he wants but I don't see people like Jim Leinenger or Scott Brown endorsing him again.  Not only did he blot hos copybook and reject FIC, but they had to clean up the mess.  They will distance themselves so as not to be tarnished further.

I wouldn't put it past him to start a new church though.  Doug needs an audience.  He might start with members who left BCA because they didn't approve of his excommunication.  If Mark Driscoll can move states and start a new church, why so can Doug.  He probably won't even bother to move states.

7 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

So... No supportive Facebook post from soon-to-be in-law Spanky yet? Why do I have a feeling that Doug keeps getting his voicemail? 

Wait, what?  I did notice in passing that Only Online to Help My Aging Parents Spanky was getting married again, but I missed that they were going to be in-laws!

Who is Carmon Freidrich?  Have we discussed her before?  Go, Carmon!  

6 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

So... No supportive Facebook post from soon-to-be in-law Spanky yet?

Or Darby Sproul Stouffer? Surely she could post an attaboy on the VF page on behalf of her sister's soon-to-be FIL.

4 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Or Darby Sproul Stouffer? Surely she could post an attaboy on the VF page on behalf of her sister's soon-to-be FIL.

Put me out of my misery.  Which Phillips is marrying a Sproul and how did I I miss that?

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

Put me out of my misery.  Which Phillips is marrying a Sproul and how did I I miss that?

It looks like Darby's sister, Delaney Mara, is courting/planning to marry Joshua Titus Phillips (or JTits, as I can't help thinking whenever I see his Instagram profile). 

No public confirmation but Delaney's Instagram profile suggests something more than "good friends:"

16 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Who is Carmon Freidrich?  Have we discussed her before?  Go, Carmon!  

Carmon used to be the Queen of VF Leghumpers & proudly called herself a "prairie muffin." When she wasn't attending or participating VF events, she was promoting their shite on her now-defunct blog, Buried Treasure. At the time, she was a really vicious & rabid promoter of all things patriarchal.

The changes in her views & behavior over the past 2-3 years are truly an evolution from what she used to be and stand for. It's all the more impressive given that it's been fairly public.

Many thanks, @hoipolloi!  

Now I remember Carmon.  And that is interesting about Joshua and Delaney.  I hope they can both distance themselves from their disgraceful paters but it's a long-shot.

I'm wondering if the Botkins, or any of their middle-Tennessee Courter/Vernier cohort, will publicly acknowledge Dougie's attempts at self-resurrection. Ditto the Serven Clan, Scottie Brown, and the Bradrick families. Oh, to be a mouse in the corner, able to overhear the conversations happening in those homes!

11 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

I'm wondering if the Botkins, or any of their middle-Tennessee Courter/Vernier cohort, will publicly acknowledge Dougie's attempts at self-resurrection. Ditto the Serven Clan, Scottie Brown, and the Bradrick families. Oh, to be a mouse in the corner, able to overhear the conversations happening in those homes!

I'm betting that Scottie Brown is going to stay quiet.  He picked up followers with the Fall of the Tool and probably doesn't want to emphasize that he ever had a connection.  As for the rest, I'm waiting with breath too.

Peter Bradrick seemed pretty hurt by the way DP treated him.  I hope there is no chance of Peter forgiving and forgetting.  I don't really follow these families so I don't know the latest happenings.  I just hope Peter and Kelly stay far away from DP.  He's caused enough damage.

40 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Benjamin J. Serven posted a “Cry” emoji in response to both Ryan Short’s and Carmon Friedrich’s anti-Doug posts.

Former VF associate Bob Renaud posted a scathing criticism of Doug in Carmon’s thread: “David, I sorry, but you simply don't know what you're talking about. The court didn't ‘find’ anything to be ‘lies’ since they didn't litigate the facts. They mediated a settlement and both sides agreed to certain terms. Most of which are confidential. He is simply trying to make it look like he is exonerated by pointing out her retraction to one alleged fact she made in her complaint. She hasn't changed any other of her allegations. And the fact that they settled seems to me to show that she had a valid claim or otherwise why would they have agreed to settle the case?... Second, this is the Vision Forum, Inc FB page and Doug has control over that site. This was not the VF Ministries FB page… So just thought you would want to get the facts correct.”

Renaud, along with Peter Bradrick and Jordan Muela, was one of the three men who first confronted Doug about his abuse of Lourdes.

Woah.  Never thought I'd say this but - Preach it, Bob Renaud!

Good eye, @DomWackTroll.  I haven't had time to read all the comments on the FB pages yet.  Thanks.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived