IGNORED

Doug Philips is a tool (at best) and the now defunct Vision Forum - Part 3

Boogalou

11 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

In most states, including Texas, a majority of the living veterans are those who returned from the Gulf Wars, followed by the number of Viet Nam vets.

Given this, if Operation Meatball were really about, you know, VETERANS, instead of showcasing Doug Phillips Is A Tool's WW II cosplay fantasies as imposed on his daughters, you'd think these young women would be making regular appearances at local vets hospitals, etc. Maybe they could even visit Walter Reed when they're in DC for one of their gigs. 

But no, instead it looks like all veterans are NOT equally deserving of recognition and attention.

You and your logic!

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course they'll continue to focus on WW2 vets until they've propped up the last poor old guy:  the singers and songs that would resonate with Vietnam, Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom veterans are not the bouncy, relentlessly cheerful, unselfconscious, possibly virginal types that mask the mercenary ambitions of Doug Phillips Is A Tool so well. 

The 1940s ditties hark back to a time when Doug's dad was in his prime and there were few shades of gray in issues. Thus Doug becomes associated with a virile era of women who knew their place and men whose places were limitless. 

The 15-year-old kid who sneaked by enlistment in 1945 and served a few months in WW2 is now 81.  That's probably the youngest of those vets alive today. Doug has a swiftly closing window of time in which to make money off these individuals. Should I live so long, I'll be grimly fascinated to see who he goes after as his next generation of props. 

On December 11, 2016 at 7:19 PM, Marian the Librarian said:

Screen Shot 2016-12-11 at 5.04.10 PM.png

Looking at this picture makes me think how rediculous these people are. Dressing up in costumes like characters for a children's party. Like fuck you, you have no idea what it was like. How patronizing! You think they really want to relive the good old days?

What horrible things is this man whispering in her ear?! She looks horrified.This is so creepy. His hand is gripping her waist.image.jpeg

And there is so much WTF going on here.image.jpeg

Are you the time-traveller, or is she?! I kid, I kid. 

Oops...typo. I mean grandfather.

Umm...those dresses and makeup do not look like the 1940s. This is per the many real family photos I have of that time period.

8 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Of course they'll continue to focus on WW2 vets until they've propped up the last poor old guy:  the singers and songs that would resonate with Vietnam, Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom veterans are not the bouncy, relentlessly cheerful, unselfconscious, possibly virginal types that mask the mercenary ambitions of Doug Phillips Is A Tool so well. 

Here's my suggestion if Doug decides to exploit Vietnam veterans. Hey, if the Lawrence Welk performers could sing it...

23 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

Here's my suggestion if Doug decides to exploit Vietnam veterans. Hey, if the Lawrence Welk performers could sing it...

"Modern-day spiritual"?  MODERN-DAY SPIRITUAL????

Oh, well ... Lawrence, himself, was an exploitative entrepreneur to make Doug Phillips Is A Tool proud. 

Modern-day spiritual.  I'm gonna get a few hundred snickers out of that before I die.  Thank you, DWT - great early Xmas present. ;)

Notice that Doug Phillips is a Tool didn't start wooing the vets until those left were too old to have the energy to call him on his b.s.  My da would've been polite enough to listen to the tarted-up ladeeze sing and then told DPIAT to get the blasted camera out of his face.

How patronizing!

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

"Modern-day spiritual"?  MODERN-DAY SPIRITUAL????

Best line of the day and it's from Lawrence Welk!!??!

Thanks, DWT - that's definitely a classic Welk video.

A debate still rages as to whether all involved knew what the song was about!

I have a difficult time believing that *no one* on that stage knew what it was about.

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

I have a difficult time believing that *no one* on that stage knew what it was about.

If anyone on that stage knew, they didn't let on. Welk introduced the song as a gospel number & stuck to that story.

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

Considering that (according to lore, anyway) Spiro Agnew had declared Brewer and Shipley to be subversives, and persuaded the FCC to ban the song from the airways. . .

4 hours ago, Howl said:

@DomWackTroll, that makes me feel like I just smoked a joint -- it's THAT GOOD.  I'll be in Colorado next summer, just sayin......

In two days time it will be legal for me to grow up to 12 marijuana plants in my home.  It lends new meaning to the term pot plants.

One toke over the line on Welk - I had no idea that story was true! :)

6 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

In two days time it will be legal for me to grow up to 12 marijuana plants in my home.  It lends new meaning to the term pot plants.

Will they be selling seed packets in the stores? I may have to make a trip down there. Shame to waste all my greenhouse space on tomatoes and eggplants.

6 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Notice that Doug Phillips is a Tool didn't start wooing the vets until those left were too old to have the energy to call him on his b.s.  My da would've been polite enough to listen to the tarted-up ladeeze sing and then told DPIAT to get the blasted camera out of his face.

How patronizing!

I think he saw that Little Bear Wheeler had had some success with his re-enactor costumes early on and then when everyone went to the 60th anniversary of Pearl Harbor events in Fredericksburg that's where there was a noticable uptick that blossomed before the 60th anniversary of Iwo Jima celebrations which were there as well. He just finds stuff that people like and markets to them and if he has fun doing it, all the better.

I'd say that among other things the WWII stuff VF put out highlighted the personal vs business hypocrisy that existed, much like how they didn't celebrate Christmas but were head over heels happy to make a buck over the season.

26 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Will they be selling seed packets in the stores? I may have to make a trip down there. Shame to waste all my greenhouse space on tomatoes and eggplants.

I'm afraid I haven't researched it properly so I'll have to let you know.  Come to think of it, a packet of marijuana seeds would make a great (and legal) stocking stuffer!  I wonder how much they cost.

I am reliably informed that it is not that easy to cultivate and you need grow lights if you want to grow it indoors.

32 minutes ago, CloakNDagger said:

I think he saw that Little Bear Wheeler had some success with his re-enactor costumes early on and then when everyone went to the 60th anniversary of Pearl Harbor events in Fredericksburg that's where there was a noticeable uptick that blossomed before the 60th anniversary of Iwo Jima celebrations which were there as well. He just finds stuff that people like and markets to them and if he has fun doing it, all the better.

I'd say that among other things the WWII stuff VF put out highlighted the personal vs business hypocrisy that existed, much like how they didn't celebrate Christmas but were head over heels happy to make a buck over the season.

Right, because Fredericksburg, TX is home to the National Museum of the Pacific War and the Admiral Nimitz Museum.  Boerne (of the Boerne Christian Assembly) is about 40 miles from Fredericksburg. 

11 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm afraid I haven't researched it properly so I'll have to let you know.  Come to think of it, a packet of marijuana seeds would make a great (and legal) stocking stuffer!  I wonder how much they cost.

I am reliably informed that it is not that easy to cultivate and you need grow lights if you want to grow it indoors.

I'm stuffing a few stockings with one-gram packets of whatever is on sale this week. Sadly, the legal stuff is so good it contains no seeds.

I kid you not, the Lawrence Welk show STILL plays on my local PBS station, KLRU  See if you can keep from tapping your toes while listening to this: 

The fun part is listening to a few audience members being totally overcome here and there. 

Central and southeast Texas have a major German and Czech influence; I used to occasionally tune into a German language lunchtime polka hour with birthday dedications for each polka, while driving to visit my grandmother. 

17 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

What horrible things is this man whispering in her ear?! She looks horrified.This is so creepy. His hand is gripping her waist.image.jpeg

I'd like to imagine that the vet in the first picture is whispering, "Where do you have the time to play dress up, young lady? Don't you have a real job or a college class you should be attending?" Appalled at the idea of actually doing something useful with her life, the Phillips "girl" runs away screaming several seconds after the photo is taken. 

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Central and southeast Texas have a major German and Czech influence; I used to occasionally tune into a German language lunchtime polka hour with birthday dedications for each polka, while driving to visit my grandmother. 

Polka shows were a TV staple on Sunday mornings in the upper midwest, when I was growing up in the 1950s & 1960s.

And here's a link to a 24-7-365 polka radio station out of Appleton, WI

20 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

Pretty sure that's Nolan's mother... Lourdes' ex-mother-in-law.

1 hour ago, CloakNDagger said:

Pretty sure that's Nolan's mother... Lourdes' ex-mother-in-law.

Holiday gatherings must be... interesting in that family. If indeed they even have them. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived