Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Boogalou

Doug Philips is a tool (at best) and the now defunct Vision Forum - Part 3

Recommended Posts

CloakNDagger
I wish I could contact my WWII decorated veteran grandfather through a spiritual medium or something, just to come back for 5 minutes to BEAT THE TOOL'S ASS for wearing that uniform.  The unmitigated gall, it burns.

That's over the top. We don't do that to people who make movies and frankly there are plenty of more legit reenactors that do a good job of portraying things and educating the public.

Doug just got enamored with that - probably copying Little Bear Wheeler to some extent, Plimouth Plantation, Jamestown, and Civil War reenactors, but not as good, and with less authenticity, and also copying other people who were into more authentic reenactments such as the semi-professional stuff in Fredericksburg, TX with the secular Iwo Jima reenactment out in Doss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DomWackTroll
55 minutes ago, CloakNDagger said:

That's over the top. We don't do that to people who make movies

But see, Doug does a lot more than "make movies." Doug presents propaganda that romanticizes WWII and glorifies himself as the protector of military history, when in fact he has no first-hand military experience and indeed encourages today's young people to reject the "godless, Marxist" US armed forces.

Plus, I'd just really love to watch some old dude kick his ass. (Sorry)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CrazyCatLady
I interpret your question as rhetorical but does anyone here think Doug Phillips and Bill Potter are normal?

ETA: Sure wish I'd managed to copy all of Doug's Blog before it went away but I do have a number of choice entries ranging from 2003 to 2013. In other words, there's plenty more shite where this came from.

Perhaps they are more than friends? I find this commemorative friendship photo very odd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CloakNDagger

But see, Doug does a lot more than "make movies." Doug presents propaganda that romanticizes WWII and glorifies himself as the protector of military history, when in fact he has no first-hand military experience and indeed encourages today's young people to reject the "godless, Marxist" US armed forces.

Plus, I'd just really love to watch some old dude kick his ass. (Sorry)

The point is it's not the uniform that's the problem. Most of us can accept some people in them, just not Dougie style. At least Bill Potter shaved out of respect. Bill has done professional reenacting and is even in the movie Gettysburg as one of the soldiers. He has a lot more respect for those he portrays. Doug wouldn't even shave or try to look authentic and I think I had even heard that Wesley Strackbein had told Doug it would be better if he shaved for authenticity' sake but there's also a rumor out there that Doug had told Lourdes that as long as he had his beard she would know that he loved her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
socalrules

I never followed Doug until the Lourdes scandal. Did they do anything other than play dress-up? Most of the organization's budget must have went to costumes. What was the purpose of all these performances? Did people pay to watch them like a theatre  group or was it just for the performers? 

 

Edited by socalrules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Unimpressed
CyborgKin

I didn't know about the dress-up stuff, as my first exposure was the Amazon Adventure, of which my impression was that Doug talked way too much about very little, and hogged the camera.  I don't remember actually seeing much of the Amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Phoebe
2 hours ago, CloakNDagger said:

The point is it's not the uniform that's the problem. Most of us can accept some people in them, just not Dougie style. At least Bill Potter shaved out of respect. Bill has done professional reenacting and is even in the movie Gettysburg as one of the soldiers. He has a lot more respect for those he portrays. Doug wouldn't even shave or try to look authentic and I think I had even heard that Wesley Strackbein had told Doug it would be better if he shaved for authenticity' sake but there's also a rumor out there that Doug had told Lourdes that as long as he had his beard she would know that he loved her.

Bill isn't wearing anything denoting rank.  That gold insignia on DPIAT's cover (hat)?  That's denoting rank.  ToolTime isn't Major of ANYTHING except of being a pain in the ass, no matter what the insignia he's wearing says otherwise.

Edited by Phoebe
Formatting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
refugee
4 hours ago, socalrules said:

I never followed Doug until the Lourdes scandal. Did they do anything other than play dress-up? Most of the organization's budget must have went to costumes. What was the purpose of all these performances? Did people pay to watch them like a theatre  group or was it just for the performers? 

 

One of the reasons for the dress-up was to gouge more money out of DP's followers and to allow DP to "live the dream". We knew a family that went to the Jamestown celebration (I think it was). They really couldn't afford it... He was always promoting big events that your average run-of-the-mill homeschool family couldn't afford.

I still remember getting the Vision Forum catalog. The toys were way overpriced. The books and CDs sold DP's patriarchal vision. He traveled around to homeschool conferences, using his version of history to whip up emotions. (Get the brains to disconnect because of the flood of emotions and you can get the suckers to part with even more dollars, trying to buy the good feelings, pursuing the noble cause of bringing America back to the greatness of being a christian country, and all that.)

Doug's father, Howard Phillips, was a founder of the Constitution Party, wasn't he? Super conservative nutjobs who want all law based on the bible, I think.

Vision Forum promoted such patriarchal types as Voddie Baucham, the Botkins, and Phil Lancaster, I think. Oh, and DP put together a christian film festival with prizes as part of his drive to take back the arts for christianity.

More than anything else, he was/is a showman. He wants to be the center of attention, and he loves telling people how to live their lives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RosyDaisy
But see, Doug does a lot more than "make movies." Doug presents propaganda that romanticizes WWII and glorifies himself as the protector of military history, when in fact he has no first-hand military experience and indeed encourages today's young people to reject the "godless, Marxist" US armed forces.

Plus, I'd just really love to watch some old dude kick his ass. (Sorry)

And for that reason my grandfather and uncles would kick DPIATR's ass. War should never be romanticised or glorified. It is an insult to every veteran who actually fought and/or died.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
teachergirl
4 hours ago, refugee said:

One of the reasons for the dress-up was to gouge more money out of DP's followers and to allow DP to "live the dream". We knew a family that went to the Jamestown celebration (I think it was). They really couldn't afford it... He was always promoting big events that your average run-of-the-mill homeschool family couldn't afford.

I still remember getting the Vision Forum catalog. The toys were way overpriced. The books and CDs sold DP's patriarchal vision. He traveled around to homeschool conferences, using his version of history to whip up emotions. (Get the brains to disconnect because of the flood of emotions and you can get the suckers to part with even more dollars, trying to buy the good feelings, pursuing the noble cause of bringing America back to the greatness of being a christian country, and all that.)

Doug's father, Howard Phillips, was a founder of the Constitution Party, wasn't he? Super conservative nutjobs who want all law based on the bible, I think.

Vision Forum promoted such patriarchal types as Voddie Baucham, the Botkins, and Phil Lancaster, I think. Oh, and DP put together a christian film festival with prizes as part of his drive to take back the arts for christianity.

More than anything else, he was/is a showman. He wants to be the center of attention, and he loves telling people how to live their lives.

And I am also certain I read somewhere that they were moved or "kicked out"of the Jamestown event because it was running concurrently with the actual 400th celebration and they were promoting false history/ideas, one of which Jamestown was started as a Christian colony. Um no, it was to make money for the Virginia Company of London.  Were they Christian? Sure.  Was that the primary reason, No.  They also promote the idea of Pocohontas and John Rolfe/Smith ( can't remember which one right now sorry) as the first Christian marriage, not quite so sure about that one either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Unimpressed
Palimpsest
40 minutes ago, teachergirl said:

And I am also certain I read somewhere that they were moved or "kicked out"of the Jamestown event because it was running concurrently with the actual 400th celebration and they were promoting false history/ideas, one of which Jamestown was started as a Christian colony. Um no, it was to make money for the Virginia Company of London.  Were they Christian? Sure.  Was that the primary reason, No.  They also promote the idea of Pocohontas and John Rolfe/Smith ( can't remember which one right now sorry) as the first Christian marriage, not quite so sure about that one either.

I don't know exactly what happened, but DPIAT wanted to make people believe they were kicked out as part of his publicity campaign for the VF version.  Officials decared war on VF because they were doing it right.  Per DPIAT -the official celebration was the one doing revisionist history! ;)

 http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/265932428.html

And poor Lourdes was dressed as Pocohontas. 

They also invaded Boston in 2009 to celebrate 500 years of Calvin.  The WSJ has a good article on it here - comparing the Geneva celebration to the VF one: 

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970203946904574300272057149700

Quote

 

If the Calvin of “Calvin 500” was nuanced and traditional, the other major celebration in the month of Calvin’s birth offered an American Calvin for the masses. Held in the Park Plaza Hotel in Boston, the “Reformation 500” celebration featured more than 40 re-enactors who portrayed Calvin and other Reformation leaders, as well as such American colonial figures as George Washington and Samuel Adams. Lest any of the 1,000 attendees miss Calvin’s influence on American democracy, one of the lectures was titled “John Calvin: America’s First Founding Father,” and the conference “culminated on July 4,” as a Christian Newswire account put it, “with the tolling of an exact replica of America’s Liberty Bell.”

Aimed at families who homeschool their children or send them to Christian schools, Reformation 500 also featured a Children’s Parade through Boston’s Public Garden and three different lectures on “The Reformers’ Doctrine of the Family.” “Reformation 500” also included a debate between re-enacters of Calvin and Charles Darwin that emphasized the implications of their respective world views—Calvin’s an influence “for great good and the glory of God,” according to Doug Phillips, the conference organizer, and Darwin’s “for unimaginable evil.”

The actor who portrayed Calvin in Geneva and the re-enacter in Boston probably would find one another ludicrously misinformed. Yet both capture and caricature attributes of the brilliant theological thinker who has never gone out of date and who was so concerned not to draw attention to himself that he insisted on being buried in an unmarked grave.

 

My favorites were always the Hazardous Journeys to fulfill the Great Commission through tourism, although the Titanic "celebrations" of a tragedy were also ... interesting.

Edited by Palimpsest
additional info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wine time!
nokidsmom
11 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

But see, Doug does a lot more than "make movies." Doug presents propaganda that romanticizes WWII and glorifies himself as the protector of military history, when in fact he has no first-hand military experience and indeed encourages today's young people to reject the "godless, Marxist" US armed forces.

Plus, I'd just really love to watch some old dude kick his ass. (Sorry)

 

4 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

And for that reason my grandfather and uncles would kick DPIATR's ass. War should never be romanticised or glorified. It is an insult to every veteran who actually fought and/or died.

My uncle would as well.  Unfortunately he's gone now but in his final years, he started sharing about his wartime experience, something that he refused to talk about earlier.  It was by no means something to glorify or romanticise.   This man saw action in the South Pacific and sustained injuries that affected him for the rest of his life.   Frankly, DPIAT has no fucking idea what these guys faced and has IMHO no business going around doing the "protector of military history" thing.

ETA: Sorry for the strong language, but seeing the Tool doing this WWII thing to the point of wearing a uniform (with rank insignia WTF) really irks me.

Edited by nokidsmom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Depressed
formergothardite
24 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

although the Titanic "celebrations" of a tragedy were also ... interesting.

Dougie's Titanic celebration was just awful. I'm not sure how anyone actually thought that was a good idea. :my_confused:

The problem with Doug dressing up to "celebrate" and/or "honor" any historical event is that he shows no respect for history or the people who experienced those events. He just exploits historical events and people to sell propaganda. And yes, the asses of people who do stuff like that deserve to be kicked. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danvillebelle

Beating his ass is over the top?  OK then, no problem.  My Pop could make DPIART cry by just looking at him sternly.  That'll do.

ETA: not only does DPIART not have a fucking clue what men like my Pop went through (retaking of Corrigedor, anyone? 150 days straight of artillery command and shelling on Luzon?) he wouldn't have even had the balls to sign up and go in the first place.  He is a PHONY to the bone.

Edited by danvillebelle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GenerationCedarchip
On 5/15/2016 at 9:59 PM, Maxwell said:

My hope is that if this is a settlement and Lourdes is gagged, that others, who may have been silent up until not so as to not impact the case, would come forward and tell what they know.  Maybe BRADIRCK! will spill some beans, maybe Nolan will talk (probably via Astrological Charts and questionable mathematics ;-) ), maybe even someone like C&D will uncloak themselves and reveal a bit more of what they know.  Not sure who, when, or what but I hope it's someone of significance, soon, and lots.

That's my thought, too.  Lourdes may not be able to say anything publicly, but I keep hoping someone out there in VF-land will start blogging in detail or write a tell-all. My family was never in the inner circle, but they and others in my church were close enough that we got whiffs of craziness every now and again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GenerationCedarchip
13 hours ago, Phoebe said:

Bill isn't wearing anything denoting rank.  That gold insignia on DPIAT's cover (hat)?  That's denoting rank.  ToolTime isn't Major of ANYTHING except of being a pain in the ass, no matter what the insignia he's wearing says otherwise.

I've actually heard Bill Potter lecture a few times now. I don't agree with some of his ideas, but I will say that he has a great deal of respect for the people he discusses. I had a history professor who always instilled in us the need to be careful how we speculate about or judge people who are dead and can't be here to defend themselves.  Like I said, I don't entirely agree with his view of history, but I do think Bill Potter tries to show that level of care/respect so I'll at least give him some credit for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DomWackTroll
16 hours ago, CloakNDagger said:

...but there's also a rumor out there that Doug had told Lourdes that as long as he had his beard she would know that he loved her.

I just threw up a little in my mouth. But, yeah, I totally believe it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Maxwell

P001525/11/2016CASE CLOSED DISMISSED BY PLAINTIFF

O000095/11/2016ORDER TO DISMISS
JUDGE: LAURA SALINAS 166TH DISTRICT COURT JUDGE
VOL: 4556 PAGE: 1060 PAGE COUNT: 2

S000125/17/2016NOTICE OF ORDER RULE 306A
DUSTIN T GAINES
ISSUED: 5/17/2016

S000135/17/2016NOTICE OF ORDER RULE 306A
DAVID C GIBBS III
ISSUED: 5/17/2016

S000145/17/2016NOTICE OF ORDER RULE 306A
KAY ANDREWS
ISSUED: 5/17/2016

S000155/17/2016NOTICE OF ORDER RULE 306A
JAMES L WARE
ISSUED: 5/17/2016

S000165/17/2016NOTICE OF ORDER RULE 306A
JOHN H BARR
ISSUED: 5/17/2016

S000175/17/2016NOTICE OF ORDER RULE 306A
GORDON BILLHEIMER JR
ISSUED: 5/17/2016

S000185/17/2016NOTICE OF ORDER RULE 306A
KIMBERLY SOLOMON
ISSUED: 5/17/2016

S000195/17/2016NOTICE OF ORDER RULE 306A
CHRISTINE YORK DUPERROIR
ISSUED: 5/17/2016

S000205/17/2016NOTICE OF ORDER RULE 306A
VISION FORUM INC
ISSUED: 5/17/2016

S000215/17/2016NOTICE OF ORDER RULE 306A
DOUGLAS PHILLIPS
ISSUED: 5/17/2016

S000225/17/2016NOTICE OF ORDER RULE 306A
KURTIS S RUDKIN
ISSUED: 5/17/2016

S000235/17/2016NOTICE OF ORDER RULE 306A
VIRGIL W YANTA
ISSUED: 5/17/2016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
socalrules

So the case was settled as we thought it would be. I will be waiting for that next fundy scandal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mary C Doates

Now Doug (Phillips who is a tool) can embark on his Redemption Tour, since he can claim he was never proven guilty of anything. He's probably shopping for stylish outfits right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dizzy
Grimalkin
2 hours ago, Mary C Doates said:

Now Doug (Phillips who is a tool) can embark on his Redemption Tour, since he can claim he was never proven guilty of anything. He's probably shopping for stylish outfits right now.

      And he is a victim! Falsely accused!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CloakNDagger
7 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

      And he is a victim! Falsely accused!

Because everyone knows that some people that truly are innocent settle out of court to avoid the waste of time and possible unjust loss to a heathen jury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dizzy
Grimalkin
10 minutes ago, CloakNDagger said:

Because everyone knows that some people that truly are innocent settle out of court to avoid the waste of time and possible unjust loss to a heathen jury.

        Why bother with silly little facts and details! Just Look at the fabulous costumes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marian the Librarian

Damn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danvillebelle
11 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Damn.

Seriously.  I so wanted DPIART's next fabulous costume to be an orange jumpsuit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×