IGNORED

Doug Philips is a tool (at best) and the now defunct Vision Forum - Part 3

Boogalou

Disappointed but not really surprised.  I thought it would probably come to a settlement but I will take heart that Lourdes had the strength to do this in the first place, despite the outcome.   

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I would have loved to have seen DPIAT been humiliated in court, I think like everyone else on this forum I wouldn't want that to happen to the detriment of Lourdes.  I hope the settlement will make Lourdes' life a lot more comfortable in the future, and I really admire her strength to see this through.

22 hours ago, socalrules said:

So the case was settled as we thought it would be. I will be waiting for that next fundy scandal. 

Oh, there will be one.  It is just a matter of time.

6 hours ago, Jane_Goth said:

While I would have loved to have seen DPIAT been humiliated in court, I think like everyone else on this forum I wouldn't want that to happen to the detriment of Lourdes.  I hope the settlement will make Lourdes' life a lot more comfortable in the future, and I really admire her strength to see this through.

Perhaps the best thing to come out of this mess is that Lourdes was able to ditch the SAHD nonsense (which in her case would have meant being an indentured servant, not lounging around cosplaying like the Phillips daughters) and become her own person. She's already achieved more than the Maxwell daughters, the Robitkins, and the Duggar spawn. We often hope for fundies to leave, but Lourdes is the one of the few to actually make it.

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Perhaps the best thing to come out of this mess is that Lourdes was able to ditch the SAHD nonsense

Oh, I think Lourdes's courage in coming forward and then filing the lawsuit did a lot more than just emancipate herself from SAHD nonsense.

- Doug may be trying to stage a comeback but this scandal will follow him for the rest of his life - however he tries to play it.  I doubt he will ever reach his former heights again.

- Vision Forum was toppled.  Doug can no longer ask for more cellos at the San Antonio Christian Film Festival.

- Jim Leininger saw Doug Phillips's feet of clay.  Perhaps he'll be more careful who he funds in the future.

- The Titanic celebrations are over and done with.

- The Hazardous Journeys are no more.  Those manly men have gone very quiet as their plans for Dominion got squashed.

- So have many of the other interns gone underground - although Natty D will never shut up.  

- The Revisionist History Conferences may continue under different management but the last attempt didn't get much press without Doug.

- Bradrick! has left the building - and seems to have quarreled with FIL, Scott Brown (also a Tool) over how this went down.

- The "Gang of Five" actually all found their gonads.  One hopes that some of them speak out sometime.

- Doug no longer has an iron lock on Boerne Christian Assembly.

- BCA lost significant membership over this and the new leadership seems a trifle shaken about their brush with the courts.  One hopes they too have learned a lesson.

Last but not least - Jen Fishburne displayed her knickers and her true colors to the masses.  JensGems lost a lot of credibility  and she deserves every bit of scorn we gave her over the way she exploited this - and her unholy alliance with Kershaw (AKA TW Eston.)

As I said, not a bad result over all.  I think Lourdes can hold her head up high.

13 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Last but not least - Jen Fishburne displayed her knickers and her true colors to the masses.  JensGems lost a lot of credibility  and she deserves every bit of scorn we gave her over the way she exploited this - and her unholy alliance with Kershaw (AKA TW Eston.)

Jen just posted about how she's still hobbling around a YEAR later because she never got ANY medical treatment for a foot that was broken in four places. 

At first she said it was because she didn't "do doctors," but here she admits, in the comments, that it was really because she had no money. Oh, and she thanks her former boyfriend, grifter/"pastor" Jeff Moore, whom just a few months ago she was trashing after he dumped her for his "travelling ministry." 

On 5/19/2016 at 10:07 AM, DomWackTroll said:

Oh, and she thanks her former boyfriend, grifter/"pastor" Jeff Moore, whom just a few months ago she was trashing after he dumped her for his "travelling ministry." 

I completely missed that.  I'm not surprised they parted company because Jen's ego probably could fit into the grifted truck.   I see Jen is back in San Antonio asking for prayers and trying to see her younger daughter again.  She didn't seem to care about her when she took off with Jeff.    No news or concern about Natasha from Jen that I noticed either.

I feel so sorry for those children/young adults with parents like theirs.

With all the insane shit Jen has believed over the years, I suppose it was just a matter of time before she became a flat Earther. 

I wish Lourdes the best, and that she may continue her education and healing. 

Wow, I thought modern genuine flat earthers were a myth!

16 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

With all the insane shit Jen has believed over the years, I suppose it was just a matter of time before she became a flat Earther. 

At this point I think she's just doing this for the attention.  

• 1 month later...

Bumping this thread to add this article by Julie Anne of Spiritual Sounding Board fame.  It seems to be the right place to put it.

It is an excellent summation of the whole ship wreck.   As always, thanks Julie Anne!

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2016/07/07/doug-phillips-the-sex-abuse-lawsuit-conclusion-and-epilogue-of-his-vision-forum-shipwreck/

• 3 months later...

Thank you for this, CnD. Several thoughts come to mind:

First, I hope that Lourdes is OK if not well, happy & thriving. It must be a relief to have this behind her, regardless.

Second, I don't believe for a New York minute that Doug Phillips Is A Tool is innocent of perpetrating sexual abuse and assault in this case. 

Third, interesting that DPIAT's "observation" on the case does not mention Jesus/the Lord/God. Wonder if he's moving on to some new, non-religious scam?

Fourth, wonder how many of the (former) VF leghumpers will repost this & trumpet their conviction that DPIAT was always innocent and they knew it?

I feel nothing but disgust.

What did they do to make her recant? It's not all money. They seriously had to have had something that could have ruined her forever, even more so than having ever encountered the Tool.

Does this mean there was only a gag order on Lourdes? Or does this mean that since they spread shit publically, so can she?

They can say whatever they want and post court records...but she is gagged? That cannot possibly be right. Can it?

I'm not sure I want the answer to that.

Poor Lourdes. I can understand recanting her statements to get this bullshit behind her, but I agree that there's no way DPIAT/R didn't do all she accused him of and more. What a miserable situation.

19 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Fourth, wonder how many of the (former) VF leghumpers will repost this & trumpet their conviction that DPIAT was always innocent and they knew it?

I'll bet a LOT of them! And they will cry out about persecution !!!11!1 And a lot of people will say and post nasty stuff about Lourdes. I feel so sorry for her!

13 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

What did they do to make her recant? It's not all money. They seriously had to have had something that could have ruined her forever, even more so than having ever encountered the Tool.

That was my exact thought and it disgusts me even more.

49 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Thank you for this, CnD. Several thoughts come to mind:

First, I hope that Lourdes is OK if not well, happy & thriving. It must be a relief to have this behind her, regardless.

Second, I don't believe for a New York minute that Doug Phillips Is A Tool is innocent of perpetrating sexual abuse and assault in this case. 

Third, interesting that DPIAT's "observation" on the case does not mention Jesus/the Lord/God. Wonder if he's moving on to some new, non-religious scam?

1. I think she's ok.

2. Neither do I. In fact, I think that only one item in the accusations is off, that's all they could get the team to acknowledge was NOT true, and I always thought that Gibbs team exaggerated for effect and they should have known better.

3. Yeah, I kind of had the same thought. 

4. It will be interesting to see. There are still a lot of gullible fundies out there.

They're already deleting comments.

I made one, so did a couple other people. Now they're gone.

They must have hired a new intern to monitor their newly revived FB page and make sure it only shows what they want it to show.

Clearly, nothing has changed.

46 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Does this mean there was only a gag order on Lourdes? Or does this mean that since they spread shit publically, so can she?

They can say whatever they want and post court records...but she is gagged? That cannot possibly be right. Can it?

I'm not sure I want the answer to that.

Me, too. I don't know, but I did think all along that Gibbs team didn't get the story right. I think they probably led her along in some of the things they asked her and then wrote the brief and asked her to agree to it. That's just a supposition on my part.

I don't know about gag orders or the like, but some of us aren't gagged yet, but I am concerned that Doug might start feeling his oats and try to go after those of us who think he was wrong again.

I won't be gagged. They'd have to lock me up first.

Damn.

I think that Gibbs III screwed up royally again.  I say this especially if Lourdes is gagged and Doug Phillips is not.  This, and his utter fuck-up in the IBLP case, makes me doubt that Gibbs III has ever been on the side of victims.  He is either really bad at his job or he is playing both sides.

I hope that Doug does not rise from the ashes.  Some gullible Fundies may use this to say that they knew he was innocent all along, but that does not negate the facts that BCA excommunicated him, and that the people who originally confronted him knew that he was doing wrong.

I hope that Lourdes is doing well and that Doug doesn't try to seek revenge on those who spoke out against him.

3 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I think that Gibbs III screwed up royally again.  I say this especially if Lourdes is gagged and Doug Phillips is not.  This, and his utter fuck-up in the IBLP case, makes me doubt that Gibbs III has ever been on the side of victims.  He is either really bad at his job or he is playing both sides.

There is something very slimy about Gibbs III and I hope no other former fundie trusts him to help them out. 

Looks like not everyone agrees with VF's recent update:

This. Is. Disinformation.

First off, Lourdes backing off of ONE claim in the case does not mean that all of the rest of the claims are false, and I can think of a myriad of reasons why she might chose to settle out of court.

Second, it is my understanding that there was a settlement out of court, which means the defense didn't want the rest of the accusations to come into scrutiny, or that they didn't want the hassle.

Third, Doug DID admit publicly to an "inappropriate physical component" in his statement on the Vision Forum Ministries website...

"Some reading the words of my resignation have questioned if there was an inappropriate physical component with an unmarried woman. There was, and it was intermittent over a period of years."

http://www.visionforumministries.org/

So maybe he didn't exactly do what was claimed in the lawsuit, but you should be asking what he DID do that was serious enough to get the ministry shut down by the board, get himself excommunicated (finally) by BCA, and just how bad it actually was.

Good comment.

Sadly, it will be gone in short order. My comment lasted about 6 minutes. The one above mine was only a couple minutes older than mine. The one after mine that was deleted barely lasted long enough for me to read it before it went *poof*

I just looked closer - it's not a comment, dude shared it on his own Facebook where it cannot be deleted. Good on him. I think that's the only way anyone can say anything without it disappearing.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived