IGNORED

Bates Family Part 13: Like Lipstick on a Pig

Boogalou

57 minutes ago, twinmama said:

Ha, I tried the smash cake thing with my twins. My husband made two small themed cakes (Dr Seuss) and we set them in front of our kids. They had NO Idea what to do and had no interest. They were 2.5 months early so basically 9.5 months old on their first birthday and didn't even like the taste of frosting we gave them. So we ditched the smash cakes and all the adults enjoyed the crazy chocolate cake my husband had also made.

My friend had a smash cake for her daughter. As the parents stood there, camera in hand waiting for a picture of the carnage, the baby carefully picked the sheet of frosting off the top and neatly nibbled. No smashing for her!

it never occurred to me to do one for my son. My mother's grand idea was a trick candle. I have a great picture of my son laughing hysterically at the eternally relighting candle. He didn't even want to eat the cupcake. He just wanted to keep blowing. :pb_smile:

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My son was born on my birthday, so I think for his first birthday we had a sheet cake for him (and he got a piece to eat, which ended up all over him), and I got my own small cake as well.  Since then I just skipped cake for me and we just had his cake.  The things we do for our kids...

And looking through the pics of Allie Jane, my first thought was, with that party hat she doesn't have to wear her flower band!...only to see she got a special birthday CROWN headband.  Poor girl - does she have a permanent divot around her skull from wearing a "proof I'm a girl" band every day of her life?

Speaking of LGBTQ rights, they do impact my husband and I personally. His sister is a lesbian who married her long-time partner this past summer. I also have a cousin that I'm really close to who is gay. They are entitled to the same rights as everybody else....PERIOD! My husband and I will always support LGBTQ rights. We do not tolerate hate speech in our presence at all. That shit gets shut down FULL STOP!

Back to baby Allie....she looks just like her mama.

1 hour ago, Ali said:

You must be a false prophet because gluttony is not acceptable:

He who keeps the law is a discerning son, But he who is a companion of gluttons humiliates his father. Proverbs 28:7

Do you know what the bible says about false prophets?

But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die. Deuteronomy 18:20

Prophecy was my Gift of the Day for yesterday. (Lam 3:23 They are new every morning)

Today the Lord is giving me the opportunity to outdo the rest of you through the gift of Serving.  (Rom 12:10)

I will therefore be serving cake today to all that have demonstrated generosity of heart towards the ministry of smash cakes.  To the naysayers, please feel free not to eat my cake and remember to give thanks to God for not eating (Rom 14:6)

Bless your heart.  (Num 6:24)

1 minute ago, Kelsey said:

Our most popular supplier of birthday cakes, Publix, gives the smash cake for "free."

My daughter's first cake came from Meijer and they gave us the smash cake for "free".  When we needed one for our son a few years later, they stopped making smash cakes, so I made one for him.  

2 minutes ago, Kelsey said:

Our most popular supplier of birthday cakes, Publix, gives the smash cake for "free."

Google tells me they give free antibiotics too!  You have to be dying to get them from a doctor round here! 

Do they have a Happy Hour with free wine as you shop, or is that asking too much? :)

1 minute ago, blessalessi said:

Google tells me they give free antibiotics too!  You have to be dying to get them from a doctor round here! 

Do they have a Happy Hour with free wine as you shop, or is that asking too much? :)

Certain antibiotics are free. No free wine but you can have free coffee, if you're into that. Oh, and a free cookie for kids.

The boy smashed the crap out of his piece of cake (we're not rich enough for two cakes ;)). My daughter looked at her slice and refused to touch it until I gave her a utensil. She tried and tried with the fork. Then a light bulb went off and she leaned over and chewed the cake like a wild animal. Crazed look in her eye and everything, but she didn't get her hands dirty.

My husband's family is incredibly liberal and have been very active in getting people elected to various positions for years, including national positions.  One of his childhood friends (whom he hasn't seen in years) became extremely conservative as the years went on, and actually ran for a pretty prominent position (the Duggars and Bateseses would have loved him), but thankfully he lost.  It's one thing when someone you know starts spouting ideas and/or rhetoric you're against - quite another when they will have influence over others.  That's why Taliban Dan needs to lose his district - it's one thing for his neighbors to love his particular brand of hate - but when he is trying to tell me indirectly through his vote how I'm supposed to live, I draw the line.  My son's youth group at our UU church is really diverse - kids on the entire LGBTQ spectrum - and they support each other.  My son jokes I was disappointed when he told me was straight, but I just wanted him to know he could love who he wanted to and we would support him.  My cousin married his love once universal marriage was made law, but his parents still talk about it in whispers.  I didn't even know he was gay because his partner was first introduced as his "friend," and I didn't get why the extended family (who live in another state and who I don't see very often) felt like this couldn't be just stated matter-of-factly.  So it's for my cousin, and for friends of mine and my son that I do hope that despite the Quiverfull movement's efforts to populate the country with future voters, that they are outnumbered.

We've always done smash cakes for first birthdays too. My nephew had so much fun smashing the heck out of his cake screaming and laughing as he destroyed it. Then he put one hand in his mouth and discovered the taste of frosting, which immediately became his favorite food.

7 hours ago, Tiny Bubbles said:

Woah. The baby's CHAIR is wearing a pink tutu with a gold glitter bow. 

5 hours ago, Manda said:

I hope the tutu on the high chair is because the birthday was filmed and that isn't going to be Alyssa's standard type birthday.  

I think the tutu is very Alyssa's style. I find it very pinterest-ic and cute. I mean, Allie is 1, tutus and bows are not weird. 

About the pregnancy issue somebody commented, although I'm sure new baby is coming soon, there's no way we can say Alyssa is pregnant or not, she is thin. Saying she seems pregnant has no sense to me looking at the pictures.

I just wanted to add to the politics & relationships talk. 

I grew up in what most would probably say was a very liberal environment. Both of my parents supported unions and my father would go on about how Reagan ruin the unions. I think probably the only conversated line of thinking was the 20 week abortation ban. Since I turned 11 ( Gore v. Bush election was mere days later) I have always been into politics. Some time to crazy extremes in high school. I was that kid who spoke out against the Iraq war and determined that Obama would be the best option for president; although for the republican side I thought Romney was the best of the lesser evils. The friends that I grew up with were a mixture of political beliefs most for the longest part went for what their parents believed in but those that actually formed their own stances went Dem 9/10. But I to admit I didn't follow politics to closely during most of college.

When I started developing crushes follow by dating I kinda had a weird attractions when it came to love interests.  My first love ( if you call just holding hands at the skating rink at age 11) turned out to be really liberal. But a random crush I had on a guy in high school was probably more of a Tea Party then Ted Cruz. My high school prom date and also my first serious boyfriend just didn't really care although one of them voted for Kevorkian for laughs.

When I got with my now husband we didn't talk politics at first but with time we slowly discovered that we thought very close to one another politically. I didn't realize until last summer that was something that was an important element for me until my MIL asked if her was voting liberal. Although we fight over something's when it comes to politics but it is along the lines of how progressive we need to be on for some laws. 

I do think that for the Bates kids that it is also very important element in their relationships. My bet is that the Bates were told by their PR & Up to keep a some what tight lip on most of their beliefs. 

2 hours ago, JillyO said:

I am about 98 % sure Alyssa wishes she could have that exact birthday party! :Yes:

Looking at the party pics, I agree.  I think Alyssa would have loved to have that kind of birthday day.   She couldn't so now she's going to go all out for her daughter.  That's fine though I wonder how long the headbands are going to last. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived