IGNORED

Bates Family Part 13: Like Lipstick on a Pig

Boogalou

Hopefully she'll help to broaden his horizons and his siblings' horizons.  But I'm not holding my breath.

Should be interesting to see how they handle the NY vs TN world for the wedding and beyond.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I wonder about their wedding.  Traditionally the wedding is in the bride's home church and NY style weddings and Bates style weddings (judging from the first 4) are not the same.

(I grew up 1/2 hour from the Bronx).

Yes, that will be interesting. Sherbet punch and some jordan almonds are not going to cut it up there. 

5 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

Hopefully she'll help to broaden his horizons and his siblings' horizons.  But I'm not holding my breath.

Should be interesting to see how they handle the NY vs TN world for the wedding and beyond.

I wonder if they will have the wedding in TN simply because it might be difficult to find a fundy megachurch in the Bronx big enough to fit hundreds of their fundy friends. I've gotten the feeling that the Salyers go to a small--possibly even storefront--church.

38 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Is it bad I would rather speak with the actual Devil? I mean, he's ruler of Hell and everything... But at least my feet would be left alone.

I am not convinced the Devil and Gothard aren't actually the same entity.  

Assuming there's at least a few months of lag-time between filming and showing an episode- they should be announcing an engagement lickety-split. I think they'll marry in TN. They can't expect 1,000 fundies to afford to visit NYC. If they marry in TN, they can tent (or RV) at on the Bates property for free!

22 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I am not convinced the Devil and Gothard aren't actually the same entity.  

Gothard is far worse

The thing that actually stood out to me the most was hen the 3 boys are on the couch Lawson says, "There was one Lone Ranger and that's becoming me (and sorta throws his hand up)!"

I actually went back to listen again because I was sure I had misheard, but...nope.

Is he insinuating that Trace is also heading into a courtship?

Or just that he and Nathan were a duo and so then he'll be the Long Ranger with Nathan gone? (That just seems like an odd option since he said it right in front of Trace)

Trace is 5 years younger than Lawson, so I'm guessing he was closest to Nathan growing up.  He's also very young for a courtship (I believe 19) and still in school (Clown?) so it makes sense that he waits a little.

As for Nathan and Ashley--- what does he do for a living and how will he be able to provide for her?  I hope he's harder working than a Duggar husband and relies on income sources other than grifting and reality TV. 

Also I'd be willing to put money on that LAwson will be Nathan's best man.

I also think that Lawson will be the best man. I think the wedding will be in June or July. I think Nathan works with Gil and of course the income from the TV show. Isn't he also training to be a pilot?

I think Trace will court Joy in a few years. Don't know why.

I thought Nathan was "called" to be a preacher? Maybe he'll go church planting somewhere. 

I can see Nathan and Ashley doing a honeymoon/praycation combo. Maybe back to the Philippines since they've already been there. 

Watched the episode. I still feel bad that Whitney gave the proverbial finger to her adopted parents. 

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Yes, that will be interesting. Sherbet punch and some jordan almonds are not going to cut it up there. 

So what *is* a NY wedding like?

4 minutes ago, refugee said:

So what *is* a NY wedding like?

The ceremonies vary by couple and religion, but NYers expect a full gourmet plated meal (aka sub platters won't cut it) at a reception.  Cake and punch receptions are unheard of. Because it is such a high COL area they're not cheap either.  Large weddings can creep up into the 6 figure territory.

In some cultures (Italian and Chinese) wedding guests are supposed to give the couple a check for the amount of their meal.  Tackier couples even include the cost in the invitations.  (For many guests, this is in addition to registry gifts at the shower).

23 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Watched the episode. I still feel bad that Whitney gave the proverbial finger to her adopted parents. 

Didn't watch it. How did she do that?  

20 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Didn't watch it. How did she do that?  

They had all the parents come up at Bradley's party to be honored and get a gift. I don't think the adopted parents were even invited. Someone said before Kelly and Gil talked her into letting her bio parents back into her life, and they insisted they didn't want the adopted parents involved anymore so she dropped them like a rock. Someone else might have more details.

16 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

They had all the parents come up at Bradley's party to be honored and get a gift. I don't think the adopted parents were even invited. Someone said before Kelly and Gil talked her into letting her bio parents back into her life, and they insisted they didn't want the adopted parents involved anymore so she dropped them like a rock. Someone else might have more details.

Thanks for the information. That is so wrong on so many levels!!  

I think its so strange about Whitney adoptive parents, they were fundie too, and the Bates dont have anything against adoption ( Kelly sister is adopted and she is still close to her), so there must be something about them that we dont know or something happened...i just dont think its fair to judge Whitney for that, only her know the reason she had for not wanting to be close with them anymore, and i think her decision must be respected.

Do we 100% know which set of parents were there? We know she reconciled with her bio parents and supposedly cut off her adoptive parents, but unless someone can identify which is which from appearance, things could have "switched back". 

50 minutes ago, Shecantcomplain said:

Do we 100% know which set of parents were there? We know she reconciled with her bio parents and supposedly cut off her adoptive parents, but unless someone can identify which is which from appearance, things could have "switched back". 

In the last episode at Bradley's first birthday party, Whitney said,"I need my mom & dad, Papa Bill and Grandma Jane and Gil and Kelly to come up front".     If the adopted parents were even invited, they weren't brought up front and given the gift of pictures of Bradley in his "I'm going to be a big brother shirt" and weren't included in Zach and Whitney thanking them for all their support and investment in their life and Bradley's.      

The whole episode was worth watching for two moments:  1) When Bradley ate his first bite of his birthday cake and then raised his hands and waved to the crowd  and 2)  seeing Bradley in the family picture where they announced baby #2.  He is the cutest little boy. 

And wow ... a whole Bateses subforum. 

Biblically speaking when a son marries the wife becomes apart of the husband's family right? And they technically 'lose' a daughter when they marry because they belong to the new husband's family (hence the tradition of taking the husband's family name). So would Ashley be moving to TN? I don't see Nathan moving to NY

11 hours ago, JillyO said:

Wait. Is "bless your heart" ever used in a non-sarcastic/barely-concealed insult way? I am so confused by this comment.

I'm from the south and to me it seems like "bless your heart" is used sincerely most of the time. The internet seems to have gotten the idea that it's an insult, but in my experience that's usually not the case.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived