IGNORED

Hey Married People: Beware of strangers who speak nicely to you.

louisa05

24 minutes ago, blessalessi said:

I had a chat to God about your request @Gellhorn and He spoke to me in a God way and told me there would be no greater feeling than if I should reach out to help you with this link.  I am in tears that I was so selfish not to post it before. Please don't upvote me or buy my little book by way of thanks,  just know that God loves you!  He loves you all, folks! ;)

http://beckythompson.com/2013/08/21/love-god-serve-others/

*chortle*

*snort*

Thank you!

Wow.  Could this woman be more smug, condescending and sanctimonious?  Probably, which means I should stay away from her page so I don't have a stroke.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Lord.  Or she wants to help most effectively she could cut a check to the food bank.  And vote for leaders who will support SNAP and WIC.  But that isn't as convenient in producing those moments of teary introspection.

I'm going to hope her husband is not much of a reader. 

1 hour ago, blessalessi said:

I had a chat to God about your request @Gellhorn and He spoke to me in a God way and told me there would be no greater feeling than if I should reach out to help you with this link.  I am in tears that I was so selfish not to post it before. Please don't upvote me or buy my little book by way of thanks,  just know that God loves you!  He loves you all, folks! ;)

Hoh. Lee. Crap.   Smug much?  

Although, I'm sort of impressed at just how much quasi-helpful-without-actually-being-helpful-maximum-effort-for-minimum-desired-effect she managed to cram into that one post.  I'm hoping and praying that all she really did was take a photo of her kiddos with the cans, and the rest of the story is pure fantasy.  

Just imagine being a young mother, heading to the apartment office to pick up your mail, and the office manager says "hey, some lady dropped off a couple cans of formula but wouldn't leave her name. You want one?"  Um, NO.  Who eats mystery food dropped off by a stranger?!?!  Much less feeds it to their defenseless babies?!  Most babies can only tolerate a specific formula, so there's no telling if anyone at the complex can even use what she left.  And, to top it all off, it's supposed to be handed out with a "Jesus loves you."  If the person on the other end doesn't have the heebie-jeebies, they're not paying attention. 

Sigh...just when you think the bar can't get any lower.  

I can't help but to read her blog in a squeaky, high-pitched, Disney princess voice.

Imagine the "creepy"-ness she would feel if she lived in Canada.  Everybody is super nice here.

Wow. I've read through some of her posts and I really dislike this woman.

The post about forgiving women who have had abortions. Grrr. Guess what, lady, I don't want nor NEED your forgiveness and you shouldn't be so smug to think women want your forgiveness. 

She sounds demented in most of her posts. Also very smug and sad in an unhappy marriage.

I love the way that God is used in the story as a device to bring down to a much more modest level the cost of Becky's initial aspiration to feed the whole world.  Modest is hottest! :my_biggrin:

I was getting dressed a few mornings ago while God and I were having a little conversation. I will be honest. It was mostly me talking. He’s really gracious like that. He lets me talk and talk and talk and when I’m good and done telling Him all about how I think it should be… well… Just listen to the story. You will see. 

I was telling Him that I have a burden on my heart to feed hungry babies and give mommas help who need it. I was telling Him all about how I wanted to sponsor children and donate to organizations that provide for those specific needs. He’s a great listener. Did you know that? God who created all things and formed the universe loves it when we share our hearts with Him… Really. He is the best.

So, after I got done “talking,” and went about doing the rest of my morning routine, I had an idea pop into my heart. Sometimes we have good ideas and sometimes Jesus gives us brilliant ideas. We can be sure they are His because they are usually something that we wouldn’t have come up with ourselves, and they are brilliant because, well, He is God.

“Buy formula and take it to mommas who need it.”
“That’s a great idea! How am I going to find those mommas?”
“Take it to the apartment complexes in town and the ladies in the office will know the mommas who have little babies.”
“Yes! That’s perfect!”

So, that is exactly what the kiddos and I did today.

*snip*

So we made a quick stop by the local everything store and grabbed four cans of formula.

No snark to her for giving what was probably a very reasonable offering compared to her income, but I don't remember quite this much drama in the story of the Widow's Mite.

God comes off as almost a caricature; he reminds me so much of Jane Austen's Fanny Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility. :pb_biggrin:

4 hours ago, blessalessi said:

2“So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 3“But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving will be in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you." Matthew 6:2-4

Looks like Becky was giving away cheap formula with one hand and typing this blog post with the other. :tw_expressionless:

On 3/24/2016 at 1:21 PM, louisa05 said:

A young fundie-lite relative shared this on Facebook. 

I don't even know what to say about it. Summary: Woman was annoyed with her husband, out in public with kids looking tired and frustrated and a man she didn't know said something nice to her (which was not in the least bit suggestive, mind you). Apparently, this made her think immediately of having an affair and ruining her marriage. Or it could make her think of that. Or she thought that the man spoke nicely to her because he wanted to have an affair. I'm not sure. But she realized that when strange people of the opposite gender speak nicely to her, it could ruin her marriage. Thus, this blog post which warns us all about falling into "quicksand". The quicksand apparently being polite strangers. 

For your reading pleasure: 

http://beckythompson.com/2016/03/21/beware-of-quicksand-how-one-strangers-comment-changed-my-marriage-forever/

And as a bonus, I love the comment from someone married 35 years who declares that "marriage is a battlefield, constantly". Her home life must be delightful. 

Hahaha, I read this the other day on FB and was left wondering WTF. I've had random people say nice things to me and never once have I suspected they were trying to get in my pants. I say nice things to people sometimes, too, but now I won't because I don't want them thinking I'm on the make. Once, I let a young couple get ahead of me in line at Target because their toddler was throwing a world-class fit and I figured they probably just wanted to get out asap -- now I worry they probably thought I was after some kinky stranger menage-a-trois action. CRAP! I just totally came off as a creep creeper.

A strange man held the door open for me at a gas station the other night. When I said 'thank you', he said he always opens the door for Batman. Clearly he was looking at my shirt which probably means he was also looking at my breasts since those dang nerdy oversized tees I always wear are such ungodly eye-traps, I tell ya. Then we went in our separate ways, he left and I went to the cash to pay for gas.

If I only knew he was coming on to me by being remotely polite, I wouldn't have missed my chance of having a lusty affair right there in the parking lot. Shucky darn!  

How does an idea pop into your heart, anyway?  My ideas usually pop into my brain, and then pop right out again before I can fully grasp them, unfortunately.

Honestly, it pains me when people can't give themselves credit for their own good ideas. 

And, finally, until I read this thread in its entirety I was a little concerned viewing your new location, @blessalessi.  I thought we'd lost you for a second there.  

@louisa05 you really ought to get over here and help me track down some last minute Easter eggs because I have been reading this brilliant blog you found, instead of listening to God and running out to get the last eggs in the corner shop! :pb_biggrin:

This blog post is great though and I may just record myself reading it and send it to the children in my family tomorrow, as a Jesus-based alternative to worldly, injection-moulded chocolate treats.  

You will all remember, mamas, that God led Becky away from her original Modest is Hottest blog because he wanted her to be More Real with her followers, in order to score a Book Deal For Jesus, right? But you know what, folks? God cares, so much that he wants mamas to learn to care for their looks as well as their Real True Christian selves, and so he worked in the hearts of some fashion stores to give Becky the chance to model Modest Hot Mama Clothing again.

He is real, and he cares for your wardrobe, and I am in tears, not for the sponsorship money that Becky will use for God's glory, not for the crowns I will be wearing in heaven for posting this, but for you. All of you. Real Tears.

http://beckythompson.com/2015/11/19/fall-style-2015-modestmommastyle/

On March 24, 2016 at 7:19 PM, Rubaiyat said:

Oh, for the love of crap.  Whatever happened to BasicHumanDecencyTM?  She's mentioned that she was out with the kids, looking stressed and haggard.  Some (probably totally) nice guy asked if she was okay.  He could just be a member of the human race exercising his concern for the general welfare of this around him.  I've had those days, and been that mom.  Never mind whether it was as recent as this afternoon...  I always feel uplifted if someone expresses a genuine concern (no matter how passing) for my wellbeing.  A smile don't hurt none, either. Geez.  

Or, you know: SATAN!!!  SATAN EVERYWHERE!!  HE'S AFTER OUR GODLY MARRIAGES!!  

Pssst.  I'm pretty sure Satan (on the off chance he exists in a form conducive to such things) has other shit to do, and isn't out there concocting Marriage Ruination Schemes of Great Effectiveness by prompting young men to inquire as to the wellbeing of young mothers in public.  

Dude.  Who has the kind of time on their hands that it must take to come up with this sort of malarkey?!?!  

:Yes: "Concocting Marriage Ruination Schemes of Great Effectiveness" is our newest post count title!

On 3/25/2016 at 8:34 AM, crazydaffodil said:

It's too bad that people have to label their intentions before speaking to anyone...  "Hello, ma'am, I'm not looking to have an affair with you or cause any harm to you or your marriage.  I'm just a polite person and thought I would say good morning to you." 

Now this would creep me out! 

1 hour ago, happy atheist said:

:Yes: "Concocting Marriage Ruination Schemes of Great Effectiveness" is our newest post count title!

Believe me when I say this is the coolest thing that's happened to me in a while!!  Thanks!

To think that a stranger's considerate and random comment could cause such a hysterical reaction is one thing, but to turn it into a "humblebrag christian-mommy sermon" is even more baffling.  Then, to see that there are readers that applaud this mentality is yet more crazy.

Has she heard of marriage counseling?

Archived