IGNORED

What's your TV low point?

RoseWilder

What's the worst thing you ever watched on TV. Whether you loved it or hated it, what's the worst thing you've ever watched and continued watching even after you saw how awful it was. My TV low point was True Tori, that reality show that Tori Spelling did with her husband after he cheated on her and they were supposed to be trying to to repair their marriage, but they were really just spending ridiculous amounts of time arguing about stupid things - like the 7 minute argument they had about a baked potato (no really, I'm not making that up.)

I tuned in to watch the show and it was so bad that at one point I thought to myself, "My life has gotten off course. I've clearly lost my way." And yet, I continued to watch it anyway. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've marathoned the random shows tlc has, like i didn't know i was pregnant and my strange addiction and shit like that. it's like junk food, an occasional comfort lol.

I marathon watched 16 and pregnant a couple of years ago. I found it morbidly fascinating. I did draw the line at Teen Mom though, it was just too much of a trainwreck. I also have watched most of American's Next Top Model and enjoyed it even though I can tell it's ridiculous.

I recently watched "Fuller House" while drinking and the entire time I was like "this is terrible, why am I watching this? I didn't even like full house that much, this makes no sense wtf, why am i watching this? Why am I grinning? Oh, it's over? next episode." 

Also my roommates and I watched "Roswell" one weekend. And Dawson's Creek the next. 

I'd have to say "My Strange Addiction" (the woman who was addicted to eating couch cushions and her own bra stuffing), and Flavor of Love. :embarrassed:

I was hooked on Flavor of Love and it was a straight-up train wreck. :TrainWreckMotion:

51 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

<snip>

Also my roommates and I watched "Roswell" one weekend. And Dawson's Creek the next. 

I actually got into "Roswell" and almost finished it and then my daughter (who was about 14 at the time) started to not want to watch it with me because sex. And because the main character has a long/thick neck. I don't even know why that was an issue for her, but who knows what's in the mind of a teenage girl. :pb_lol:

Aww, I like Dawson's Creek...haha!

I couldn't think of any things that were super bad. Except I also watched some Flavor of Love back in the day...so maybe that.

I would say Angie Tribeca as a recent one....except I didn't even make it through 1 episode.

A couple of my guilty pleasure shows would be One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl. Pretty bad for a 30+ year old woman. :)

I watched a few episodes of the Paris Hilton/Nicole Ritchie show (can't even remember what it was called anymore).  

Most of my low points in TV were not my idea. There was a time when I lived in a dorm room with one TV and my roommate loved reality shows (like The Simple(ton) Life, the Paris/Nicole show abovementioned and The Bachelor/ette). I saw more of those than I should before I discovered the magic of headphones and rediscovered Newgrounds.

I've also been sucked into a few anime marathons against my will. I'm still not sure what Sailor Moon is really about and I watched the entire series because a friend thought it'd be a fun way to spend a weekend. I consoled myself by drinking my emergency bottles of Jager that I keep on hand (just in case) and they helped. A bit.

The ones that are my idea? Well, Hell's Kitchen is a guilty pleasure even if Chef Ramsay is becoming kinder and gentler with each passing season ( Is his heart in his hair? "It grew two sizes too big that day!") to the point where even Alton Brown is looking more sinister than he is lately.

I also like Ghost Adventures as overly dramatic and questionable it is sometimes (or most times, given the season). I enjoy the history and the scenery of most of their locations. I'm an urbexer ('urban explorer') so I like places that humans have abandoned. I give 'em props for one thing: they've never mentioned The Warrens or even cited them as credible investigators with credible evidence. Plus Aaron is adorkable <3

I only got on the Real Housewives of.... bandwagon when the Beverly Hills group started.  I was mildly ashamed of myself, but I grew up loving the Richards sisters and was kind of tickled to see how they turned out; until I saw how they turned out.  The last episode of the season was this horrendous blowout fight between the two in the back of a limo with all the other ladies watching this awful, heart-wrenching train wreck of sibling issues spilling out all over.  Alcoholism, abuse, manipulation of parents, one accusing the other of always having to be rescued and bailed out by the other.  It was so painful and obviously real.  I couldn't bring myself to watch any of that sort of thing again.  It was just so visceral and ugly.  I felt that I'd been peeking in their living room window while they were having a terrible row.  

I was reluctant to participate in this topic, afraid of what I might read, as my tv tastes are extremely sophisticated and, yes, a bit snobbish.

I, therefore, only watch GOOD shows.  Shows like the Bachelor, for example.  I am very selective with the Real Housewives franchise and will only watch all of them except New Jersey (not sure why I've never watched that one.) My highbrow taste is evident given the fact that I watch Hell's Kitchen and, ok, I'm just going to say it, Vanderpump Rules.

Emmerdale.

Low point: when Paddy cheated on Rhona with their son's nursery teacher whose name I forget (but who played Margaret in Brookside in the 90s).

I only watch high quality programming too. :my_rolleyes:

Well, when I was about 8, I was home sick from school and watched an entire 6-hour QVC special featuring jade. Being a kid without cable had its downsides. Does it get any lower than that?

Last year I was housesitting for three weeks in the UK and the batteries in the remote died while the tv was tuned to TLC. I was too lazy to get up and change it manually all the time, and it was primarily background noise anyway since I was doing freelance work most of the day. As far as I can recall, the entire three weeks were a blur of Say Yes to the Dress and 19KAC.

If you had found new batteries, you could have tuned into Jeremy Kyle.  You would have not lasted three weeks of him, but it would have redefined "tv low". ;)

1 minute ago, blessalessi said:

If you had found new batteries, you could have tuned into Jeremy Kyle.  You would have not lasted three weeks of him, but it would have redefined "tv low". ;)

That is the kind of low point, where you'd have to dig yourself out again.

Dare I suggest that as card carrying FJ members, we may all share a low point in tv viewing?  

1 hour ago, Fascinated said:

Dare I suggest that as card carrying FJ members, we may all share a low point in tv viewing?  

They never even crossed my mind! :my_biggrin:

And I have only just worked out who you mean, after reading your comment several times in the new posts stream!

4 hours ago, catlady said:

I watched a few episodes of the Paris Hilton/Nicole Ritchie show (can't even remember what it was called anymore).  

The Simple Life. 

I loved that show. I don't even consider it a low point. 

I like the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise. I watched 1 season years ago (Trista) and then did start watching again until a few years ago. Now...I am slightly addicted. My husband watches with me. Sometimes we "live tweet" during it. We have also filled out prediction brackets a couple times. No joke. We are huge nerds. :)

It's not quality programming but it's entertaining.

I don't remember the name of it, but it was on VH1 and "celebrities" lived together and had to do tasks...there were several seasons...Flava Flags was on one, Peter Brady and the girl who won the first season of "America's Next Top Model" were on together, Mini Me was on a season, and I think Vanilla Ice was, too. Maybe Tammy Faye, too? 

When that was on, I was POWERLESS to turn it off.

36 minutes ago, ScreamingIzzy said:

I don't remember the name of it, but it was on VH1 and "celebrities" lived together and had to do tasks...there were several seasons...Flava Flags was on one, Peter Brady and the girl who won the first season of "America's Next Top Model" were on together, Mini Me was on a season, and I think Vanilla Ice was, too. Maybe Tammy Faye, too? 

The surreal life. 

And the guy who played Peter Brady married the woman from ANTM and they they had a show called "My Fair Brady." I wish I didn't know these things. 

Her name is Adrienne Curry. I love the first few seasons of Top Model. (Hate Tyra though.)

I liked Toddlers & Tiaras. And Honey BooBoo. Not having cable (and finding good recap sites has killed most of my reality viewing though, very proud of myself) There's a blogger who does very good real housewives and vanderpump recap and gossip. Helped me kick those, and dance moms.

On March 27, 2016 at 11:07 PM, ClaraOswin said:

I like the Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise. I watched 1 season years ago (Trista) and then did start watching again until a few years ago. Now...I am slightly addicted. My husband watches with me. Sometimes we "live tweet" during it. We have also filled out prediction brackets a couple times. No joke. We are huge nerds. :)

It's not quality programming but it's entertaining.

I have watched it on and off over the years, but haven't really followed since Emily's season. My best friend is super into it (sort of in an ironic, self-aware way, but she follows it obsessively). She made me watch this most recent finale and After the Final Rose with her. I totally get the appeal but I don't think I'll be live-tweeting anytime soon :D 

2 hours ago, ScreamingIzzy said:

Ooh, is that the one that Florence Henderson (Carol Brady) was on at one point and she refused to dress up as a nun? 

On 3/27/2016 at 6:01 PM, alwayscaffeinated said:

Rock of Love and Flavor of Love. Train wreck doesn't even begin to describe these two shows. 

That's true. Yet when they were on, you couldn't help but watch.

:TrainWreckMotion:

Archived