IGNORED

MacGyver is being rebooted.

47of74

Isn't this sacrilege?

nerdist.com/lucas-till-goes-from-mutant-to-macgyver-havoc-x-men/

In the ’80s, action television shows were everything. From Magnum, P.I. and his sweet-ass Ferrari to The A-Team and their inability to hit anything with their machine guns, it seemed like the viewing public just couldn’t get enough of primetime explosions and car chases. One of the coolest of these shows was MacGyver, the series which proved that all anyone needed to be a badass hero was a mullet and access to chewing gum, twine, and a BIC pen. CBS is bringing back the series, which debuted in 1985, and has cast an X-Man as the title character.

Lucas Till, who portrayed Alex Summers, a.k.a. Havok, in X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and the upcoming X-Men: Apocalypse, will take on the role of Angus MacGyver for the network’s reimagining of the classic series, Deadline reports. The pilot, written by Paul Downs Colaizzo and Brett Mahoney and directed by David Von Ancken, has also cast Joshua Boone as Hunter, MacGyver’s best friend from high school.

The new MacGyver series will — you probably guessed it — be a prequel of sorts to the original show. 25-year-old Till will portray the problem-solver as he’s recruited into the show’s clandestine organization for his ability to prevent bad things from happening by using only household objects and rudimentary science and physics. (Okay, some of it was pretty advanced. College level.)

One thing that is yet to be seen is whether Till’s version of the character will maintain Richard Dean Anderson‘s trademark hockey hair that he sported through most of the series’ seven-season run. But, if you saw the Canadian horror movie Wolves (pictured above), you’ll know how well Till can rock a ridiculous coif.

On 3/21/2016 at 6:56 PM, 47of74 said:

Isn't this sacrilege?

Yes.  Or one of the signs of Impending Apocalypse, take your pick.

But then I'm a long-time fan of Richard Dean Anderson, starting with MacGyver, which was one of the best constants throughout my teen years (although I'm sure I remember watching the Seven Brides for Seven Brothers series).  MacGyver started airing when I was 13, ended when I was in college.  I've got two Swiss Army knives and a roll of duct tape in the house.  I've started rewatching it, and introducing my 9-year-old to it. 

I'm considering this reboot/prequel with the same view I have of Disney's movie adaptation of Wrinkle in Time - I really don't want to see yet another childhood memory mangled beyond belief.  I'll stick with the original, thanks - mullets and all.  (Especially after the hot mess that was the Dark is Rising movie. Oy)

Of course they are.  Just like they redid the movie Point Break - which to me is just criminal because Swayze.  Nothing is sacred anymore in Hollyweird.  

• 4 weeks later...

Say it ain't so. This is just another attempt to sully my childhood memories. I'm still mad about Jem and TMNT. :my_angry:

• 3 weeks later...

What?   Why?  What?  Why?

No.  Just no.

What is the point of rebooting this? MacGeyver is one of those quintessential 80's show, that really can't translate to 2016, because of current day technology. MacGyver didn't have technology at his beck and call, I mean he made bombs out of toothpicks and a light bulb. Plus nowadays, people are such funsuckers, that take everything so seriously. I can' just imagine comment after comment of "this show is so stupid, you totally can't make a bomb out of toothpicks and a lightbulb".

This new MacGyver better be sporting a righteous mullet. :music-rockon: @SnazzyNazzy I agree, technology will take the fun out of Mac's ingenuity. The same happened to The Amazing Race after the introduction of smartphones.

CBS put up this trailer of the new series...

Archived