IGNORED

Rice Ministries International

bashfulpixie

Just had a new experience.  Someone from the Rice Ministries International Prayer team just called my cell and left a recorded message on my voicemail.  "We're calling today to pray for you and your family. To hear a prayer, press one"  No idea how they got my phone number.

Is this really a thing now?

@bashfulpixie, I don't know about the "press one for prayer thing", but I am a bit familiar with Rice Ministries.  John Rice was a old time fundie preacher that founded Sword of the Lord ministries.  Rice had four daughters and these women started The Joyful Woman magazine.  Elizabeth or Libby, as she was nicknamed, married Dr Walter Handford who pastored (and maybe founded) Southside Baptist Church in Greenville, SC.  It was hardcore fundamentalist -skirts only, KJV only, no contemporary music, etc.  It was one of the churches that it was acceptable for Bob Jones students to attend on Sunday  and maybe Wednesday evenings.  About 20 years ago, Southside began to change.  The Joyful Woman did as well and featured people that were unacceptable to old-line fundies such as James Dobson and Elisabeth Elllot.  (Who knew that fundies would have a problem with Dobson and Elliot?)  Once Dr Handford retired and a new pastor was hired, the church began to use the NIV and in 1993, the church had a concert by contemporary Christian musician, Ray Boltz.  This was years before he came out, but the people who wrote this article I was just reading would postively have the vapors if they'd know that Boltz was gay.  :pearlclutching:

For your amusement, this is the article which mentions the Rices:

http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/churches_continue_down_slippery_slope.html

That sounds like the same John Rice I posted about in another thread recently, the one who didn't want one of his daughters cheerleading because the squad sometimes wore pants, and who spanked another to the point of leaving faint bruises on her bottom(but decided that was totes okay because the Bible says "by His stripes we are healed").

"by his stripes we are healed"? Yuck. 

I've been emailed by a prayer team before. They got my email off a special needs forum. It felt really violating. 

WTF.  Being healed (forgiven of sins) because Jesus was whipped/beaten/killed (to take the punishment for our sins so that we didn't have to be punished for them, according to most western theology), has absolutely zero to do with whipping/beating/spanking someone else. 

Wow. Now I'm even more weirded out that these people have my phone number.   I wonder where they got it from...

Archived