IGNORED

Gilmore Girls

Ali

I would change a lot of things, but all in all I liked it. I still can't get over the town chipping in money for Kirk and Lulu to get a pig to avoid them having a baby. That was hilarious.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/26/2016 at 9:24 PM, Terahlyanwe said:

Emily and Gerta were awesome (anyone notice that Gerta was played by the Gypsy actress?)

Really? I kept thinking she looked familiar but I just couldn't place it! 

On 11/27/2016 at 9:28 AM, Terahlyanwe said:

That would have been a much more controversial show, for sure! The fabled "four words" didn't really do much for me.

Spoiler

Second generation single parenthood. Yay? Really seems more like the total pits to me. 

Yeah, I was let down by the 4 words (even if it was painfully obvious from the 1st part that it was headed that way). Still I thought the revival was overall a fun nod to the original show that maintained its tone for the most part. 

Spoiler

As far as Rory getting pregnant, they left it somewhat ambiguous. But it definitely seems like it's Logan's baby, which makes sense with the Rory/Logan/Jess and Lorelai/Christopher/Luke parallels. The longer the original show went on, the more obvious it was that Rory was very, very similar to Lorelai. I'm not shocked they are leading her down a similar path as an adult. My favorite characters have always been, and still are, Emily and Paris though. I also maintain Rory+Paris was a better pairing than Rory or Paris with anyone else!  

I wish they'd have made it clear Rory truly wanted to get pregnant, such as using Paris' agency. I couldn't care less about them setting her up as a single parent, but it'd be a nice contrast to Lorelai if it was a planned pregnancy. Also, were those 4 words supposed to be at the end of Rory's college years originally? Or did they intend the show to go on much longer? If so, 22 and unexpectedly pregnant would've been a weird way to end it! 

Spoiler

IMG_1289.JPG

Thanks Amazon. This was in my mailbox today. I loved her fictional book. I will do a book report if needed but before I checked the mail today Bustle had 582 spoilers and teasers about the book. 

I had never, ever seen an episode of Gilmore Girls until this month. I watched all 7 Seasons (I was instantly addicted after the first couple of episodes!) on Netflix and A Year in the Life.

I found the A Year in the Life disappointing (Why was so much time wasted on that dumb musical in Spring????? And the Life and Death Brigade stuff felt so weird and out of place) and keep thinking I would have been even more disappointed with it if I had watched the show during it's original run and had waited years for it!

One of the best things about binge watching this series was all of the reminders of terrible fashion fads from the aughts. Both me and Rory Gilmore were really into khaki cargo skirts in college.

Another best thing......Emily telling the therapist that Lorelei had told her maid that her she was "all Bourboned up" when she was napping on the couch.

I thought that A Year in the Life was ok. It wasn't great. Some of it was just so forced though. The whole Paul thing, that just kept coming up over and over again? That was annoying. No one would be able to forget about a human being like that. 

Spoiler

The four words? Meh. I nearly missed it because I was thinking how boring the whole episode was. I liked the way that Logan could bring out the adventurous side of Rory. I love Colin and Finn, they might be some of my favourite characters because they are so flipping over the top. I just don't know...it wasn't that great. Should we cheer because Rory is single Mom? That there will be Gilmore Girls 2.0? I'm not. 

I missed Richard. I cried and cried over him not being on the show. It was heartbreaking for me. It was just too off for me. I don't know. Can't say I hated it but can't say it was worth the hype either. 

• 4 months later...

I'm rewatching season 6 and 7 and they should have just let Lorelai get together with Christopher once and for all. Luke is such an @$$, I hate what they did to him and Lorelai in season 6. No, no, no. The season 7 writers should have just reunited Chris and Lor. And AYiTL, OMG so much wrong with it. Who would really believe that after all that happened 8 years later Lorelai and Luke's relationship would still be as underwhelming and underdeveloped as in the special. Lorelai has said in the car therapy session that she wants another kid, she said it to Sookie in early season 7. No way would she forget about it for 10 fucking years. 

• 4 weeks later...

Rewatching the series... the episode where Zach sabotages the band by getting jealous over Brian writing a song for Lane.

It kind of baffles me as to why a show about women didn't feature stronger women.

If I was Lane, I would have a seriously hard time accepting the proposal of a man who sabotaged my band AND broke up with me without actually breaking up with me... because he was too immature to deal with his feelings. And he never did anything to prove he changed. A few episodes of later he just rambled in the diner about feeling bad without her, and Lane melted like it was sweet. 

Gaaah the later seasons....

ETA: Apparently Daniel Palladino wrote that episode. He seems to have written the worst ones, weirdly enough.

• 4 weeks later...

A bit late to this party, but A year in the life was a bit of a let down, the chemistry wasn't there.  But that is to be expected after all those years.  The music video time eater was just a waste and could have been much shorter.  The final four words?  While it may not be a popular position, I think they were appropriate.  Full circle.  It's Logan's, has to be.  Logan is Rory's Christopher, and Jess is Rory's Luke.  The idea of full circle was actually brought up a couple of times during the year.  

58 minutes ago, xlurker said:

A bit late to this party, but A year in the life was a bit of a let down, the chemistry wasn't there.  But that is to be expected after all those years.  The music video time eater was just a waste and could have been much shorter.  The final four words?  While it may not be a popular position, I think they were appropriate.  Full circle.  It's Logan's, has to be.  Logan is Rory's Christopher, and Jess is Rory's Luke.  The idea of full circle was actually brought up a couple of times during the year.  

I have yet to meet someone who enjoyed the Stars Hollow Musical. I thought it was a waste of my time and fast forwarded through the second half.  

• 1 year later...

Since Gilmore Girls is on Up, I found myself wondering if fundies or the Bates watch it.  It seems too racy (even though it’s not) for them.

Since Gilmore Girls is on Up, I found myself wondering if fundies or the Bates watch it.  It seems too racy (even though it’s not) for them.
I highly doubt it, but I did notice that UP bleeps out all the damns and hells, so maybe it would be acceptable to them? [emoji23]

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old topic, but I've just now read the thread. If UP is bleeping out the hells & damns...what are they doing with the unmarried people having sex scenes? Do they cut those out? Skip the episodes? 

Lorelai had a baby out of wedlock as a teenager - the entire premise of the show.

Rory lost her virginity to a married man. 

Rory went to freaking college. Lorelai not only worked, she eventually owned her own business. 

Lorelai got busy with Max and Chris and Jason and Luke and Chris again. 

Lane, who was raised by an extremely religious mother, rebelled and contradicted her mom and chose a life different than her mother. 

And, even though it's much after the fact - I thought the reboot was fun, except for the damn never ending play / performances. It wasn't what I would have hoped for and I really hate the way Rory grew up to be so useless and unmotivated. She was very entitled and spoiled and whiny. But, even with that, it was fun. Just to see all the characters & Stars Hollow again. I hated season 7 and like to pretend it never happened. It was nice to have a different "ending" to the whole saga so I can go on pretending. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m only here to recommend The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Amazon. It’s fuvking gold. I love it so much more than GG.

Archived