IGNORED

Gilmore Girls

Ali

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

And Lorelai is so not frugal. I have no idea how she managed to save for a house on her salary, raise a kid, go to college and buy the all trinkets that clutter her house and take out she is constantly eating. 

That drove me crazy as well. I'm not one for picking apart the realism of a series/movie, I like to just go with things. But even when I was watching GG as a teenager I couldn't get over the lack of plausibility about Lorelai and Rory's lifestyles. Beautiful old house in Connecticut (not a cheap place to live, high property taxes, and I'm sure lots of repairs), well decorated, take out food all the time, and a different anthropologie outfit for them in each scene. But the crux of the show is that Lorelai is dependent on her parents for tuition for Rory, though she's too proud to take anything else. 

Also, Kirk, Miss Patty, and Paris made that show for me. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

YES. Yes, to what both of you said. My sleepy old dog is more inclined to follow a lead for a good story than Rory is. I could have bought that story line if Paris were the one to become a journalist and Rory wanted to go into something more scientific but the careers both characters chose were way OOC. I guess journalist just fit Amy Sherman Palladino's idea of a teenaged Mathilda striving for an intellectual career better than, say, doctor or teacher. 

I have never really questioned a lot of what they did on the show as it was implied that Lorelai is a very hard working mother. She must have payed for her house by installments, gone to a cheap CC etc. It was implied during season 1 that they had lived in that old shack on the hotel compound for years. I always pictured Lorelai saving a ton for the down payment to eventually buy whichever house she could get first, and as could be seen in season 2 when the house was infested by termites, it had not been in great condition. Btw, in season 1 the house had a bathroom on the 1st floor while in later seasons the bathroom must have magically disappeared. Or maybe it was just cluttered by Lorelai's massive amounts of tchotchkes. The house is also supposed to host Lorelai's room, Rory's room, kitchen, living room and bathroom only but it always seemed so huge. A lot on that show just doesn't add up. Like, how could they spend so much time at Luke's in the morning when both of them were supposed to be at work/school early? Why would Lorelai be able to sew costumes for her daughter's Shakespeare group but not be able to mix together a freakin' cake mix!?

Also, Lorelai got bitchier with every season. I really hated that and it remains a mystery why she was so loved nonetheless and why Rory was treated like the town's innocent little virgin angel.

Still love that show, though. 

@Pretzel and @Maggie Mae I am glad to hear your thoughts. And all that work on the house, with that idiot brother in law of Luke"s, what did they do exactly? Ok, a bathroom, and some paint. But no more room I could see. 

Both were not great friends. When Lane was being shipped back to Korea, Rory was too busy snuggling with Dean to get up and say goodbye. And they interrupted Sookie's children's christening, for their own drama.

And yes, how was Rory still the little angel after breaking up Dean's marriage? And then stealing a boat b/c somebody for once didn't love her?

6 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

That drove me crazy as well. I'm not one for picking apart the realism of a series/movie, I like to just go with things. But even when I was watching GG as a teenager I couldn't get over the lack of plausibility about Lorelai and Rory's lifestyles. Beautiful old house in Connecticut (not a cheap place to live, high property taxes, and I'm sure lots of repairs), well decorated, take out food all the time, and a different anthropologie outfit for them in each scene. But the crux of the show is that Lorelai is dependent on her parents for tuition for Rory, though she's too proud to take anything else. 

Also, Kirk, Miss Patty, and Paris made that show for me. 

Emily is my favorite, she's a bitch but so is Lorelai.

9 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Both were not great friends. When Lane was being shipped back to Korea, Rory was too busy snuggling with Dean to get up and say goodbye. And they interrupted Sookie's children's christening, for their own drama.

That's true. It seems like friends were more background actors than supporting roles to them. I guess that's due to the mother-daughter friendship being the focus but both Rory and Lorelai were quite a bit snooty towards their friends. 

I'm really anxious to see the Netflix episodes. I have a feeling that after Rory's internship everything went in an entirely different direction. My secret guess is that Lorelai has not had another child, but that Rory's become a mother. Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

27 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

That's true. It seems like friends were more background actors than supporting roles to them. I guess that's due to the mother-daughter friendship being the focus but both Rory and Lorelai were quite a bit snooty towards their friends. 

That is such a good point.

I also disliked the way Rory and Lorelai were kind of "mean girls" at times. I mean, I enjoyed watching it, but it seems OOC for such a "nice kid" who "everyone loves" to be so snarky about her neighbors and the lady who ran the B&B and even the (mean) great grandmother. 

27 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

I'm really anxious to see the Netflix episodes. I have a feeling that after Rory's internship everything went in an entirely different direction. My secret guess is that Lorelai has not had another child, but that Rory's become a mother. Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

I haven't really thought about that. Rory being a single mother would fit with the theme of the "Gilmore Girls" but would also be out of character. Lorelai having another child would be weird too, but only because the women I know who are that age with grown up kids aren't super excited to start over again. 

I hope that everyone is happy and not fighting and Richard Gilmore's actor comes back to life and we don't have to watch any heart wrenching scenes of Emily being sad. 

On Friday, August 05, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Ungodly Grandma said:

@Pretzel and @Maggie Mae I am glad to hear your thoughts. And all that work on the house, with that idiot brother in law of Luke"s, what did they do exactly? Ok, a bathroom, and some paint. But no more room I could see. 

And yes, how was Rory still the little angel after breaking up Dean's marriage? And then stealing a boat b/c somebody for once didn't love her?

Emily is my favorite, she's a bitch but so is Lorelai.

Emily. Lord I can't stand her. She's one of those rich mother in laws ypu don't want.

Lorelai was the fun friend parent. I hated when she would say her and Rory are best friends. She's lucky Rory was a good kid. Until she slept with a married man.  

25 minutes ago, Toothfairy said:

Emily. Lord I can't stand her. She's one of those rich mother in laws ypu don't want.

Lorelai was the fun friend parent. I hated when she would say her and Rory are best friends. She's lucky Rory was a good kid. Until she slept with a married man.  

For how much I don't want to be related to Emily (and I kind of am) I just love her. Her TV character is so much nicer than the reality of that "type."  I really love Emily and I hate the way Lorelai treats her. I LOVE HER and you should not speak bad of her! :)

Lorelai was really lucky  and/or plot armored with Rory. I just .. this situation is not realistic. As much as I love this show (and I do), it's so unrealistic. 

6 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

The show would be a snore without her,  

And it still bugs me that Rory git away with sleeping with Dean, still the angel of Stars Hollow.

On 8. August 2016 at 1:15 PM, Ungodly Grandma said:

The show would be a snore without her,  

And it still bugs me that Rory git away with sleeping with Dean, still the angel of Stars Hollow.

Uuuhm, NO. As much as I dislike Rory's character, it was not HER who was married, it was Dean. Dean was unfaithful to his wife, not Rory. Sleeping with a married man is not something you should brag about but the party to be blamed lies with Dean. Above all, Rory was a virgin and everyone around her had told her that she was something special and worthy because her hymen was still intact (very sexist btw), everyone feared for her 'innocence' and wanted to keep her the non-sexual angel. When first sexual feelings came up, there was this ideal first time that was portrayed to her as the ne plus ultra. She had to cling to this romantic attachment to Dean after her first time, otherwise her mother and the rest of SH would have blamed her even more for not living up to their expectations. 

I hate that women always take the blame for everything. Even if it's just a TV series, we shouldn't let it come that far.  This is FJ after all. 

• 2 weeks later...

I started watching several months ago. I'm on season 6. Rory and Loralei are in the middle of their fight.

Loralei bothers me. This thing is Rory. Loralei doesn't want to talk to Rory until Rory does things the Lorelai wants her to. When she did the interview about the inn and compared Emily to dictators she expected Emily to forgive her and go on but she brought up everything Emily and Richard did.  

I have been obsessively looking for pictures from the revival. I have a theory. I think it will revolve around Luke and Loralei's wedding. It will explain Dean and Jess being there. Logan and Rory maybe dating? Logan in some kind of business and working with Luke and Loralei. 

• 3 weeks later...

I will be so mad if the revival involves Luke and Lorelai getting married.

It's been 9 years, it's just not realistic.  If they've been together all this time, they'd have gotten married by now, if that's what they wanted. I think if they do a Luke/Lorelai wedding in the revival it will be purely cause that's what they think the fans want to see.

That being said, I'll be even madder if they aren't together.

I also think it's stupid that they're bringing back so many randos.  Dean, Tristan, Francie, Jason...I feel like their story-lines all died natural deaths and they don't need to be dredged up again.

I was a HUGE gilmore fan during the original run, and I am looking forward to the revival.  I'm just hoping isn't disappointing.

This article says that there will be "darker" themes. I'm fairly certain that the revival will not be Luke and Lorelai helping Rory cover up a murder. I have no idea what is considered "dark" in Stars Hallow. Someone decides to bike while drinking? Abortion? Rory quits her job and decides to go on welfare? 

http://www.bustle.com/articles/184550-the-gilmore-girls-revival-has-fireworks-for-luke-lorelai-and-darker-places-in-its-path

13 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

This article says that there will be "darker" themes. I'm fairly certain that the revival will not be Luke and Lorelai helping Rory cover up a murder. I have no idea what is considered "dark" in Stars Hallow. Someone decides to bike while drinking? Abortion? Rory quits her job and decides to go on welfare? 

http://www.bustle.com/articles/184550-the-gilmore-girls-revival-has-fireworks-for-luke-lorelai-and-darker-places-in-its-path

Some neighbor decided to let their lawn grow above 2 inches? Someone tied up Michelle to force-feed him with carbs? I honestly have no idea. I kinda sorta wanna see Rory as a mom, though I think it's unlikely. Maybe Lorelai and Luke have lost a child despite it being a very bad storyline but who knows...

14 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I imagine the "darker places" Scott Patterson was referring to will include dealing with Richard's death. 

I'm ridiculously excited for this. 

The only parts I'm not looking forward to are Taylor and Kirk related. I HATED them with a fiery passion. Taylor is just an asshole and honestly, Kirk scares me. I think he's a sociopath or something... 

I wonder how different Lane will be after marriage and motherhood. I hope she doesn't channel too much Mrs. Kim.... 

3 hours ago, violynn said:

I imagine the "darker places" Scott Patterson was referring to will include dealing with Richard's death. 

I figured but thats one movie, maybe two of the four. I can't imagine how dark Stars Hallow can be. I mean, Rory's now a journalist, right? Maybe she's uncovering the seedy underbelly of SH, Veronica Mars style. 

Or maybe Rory is unemployed because she went into print journalism at a time when newspapers were closing left and right? Maybe it will be super political. Or maybe she and her daughter have to move back in with her mom and now Emily is like "humph" to Rory too? Who knows. I know i can't wait! 

The only picture I have seen for the new show is what looks like the 3 women at a funeral/graveyard. So I agree with the person above who mentions Richard's death being the dark aspect even if that is only for the opening episode. I am currently on season 3 of my re-watch again now it's now on Netflix and every time I see Richard I feel quite sad, which I know is a little silly.

I also couldn't stand Taylor and Kirk, but at least they were background characters. The no.1 character I never want to see again or even made mention to, is Luke's daughter, the awful April Nardini.

13 minutes ago, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

The only picture I have seen for the new show is what looks like the 3 women at a funeral/graveyard. So I agree with the person above who mentions Richard's death being the dark aspect even if that is only for the opening episode. I am currently on season 3 of my re-watch again now it's now on Netflix and every time I see Richard I feel quite sad, which I know is a little silly.

I also couldn't stand Taylor and Kirk, but at least they were background characters. The no.1 character I never want to see again or even made mention to, is Luke's daughter, the awful April Nardini.

I have bad news for you. 

I loved Kirk, thought he was hysterical. And I'm in a tough place right now because I want to see this reboot so badly but I don't have Netflix and am too cheap to spend the money to subscribe. I may have to break down and sign up because I can't imagine missing it. I'm trying not to get my hopes up and am avoiding spoilers but I figure it can't be as bad as the last season at least. Oh, and I also loved Mrs Kim.

They mentioned how sad it was to create the series without him. It will certainly be sad to watch it without him! I loved him!!

Nevertheless, I'm still very excited for this.

@Playagirl I don't know how it works in America, maybe Netflix has different conditions etc. But I am sure I know someone who signed up for free for a trial month. This was someone who I met while living in Brussels for 3 months. And at that point Netflix had just started there. I already had an account Uk/Ire so was able to access it in Brussels too. But this guy who I met there was from Spain they didn't have Netflix there so he did a trail month to keep himself entertained while staying. I got an email when I arrived home from him, begging me to log in to his account and shut it down etc so it would not be charged from then on, as in Spain he no longer had access to Netflix or his account to cancel the trial.

I'm 99% sure the month trial was free, maybe a small fee, but I didn't really ask. Perhaps you could look into getting a trial Netflix account to see the revival. It is only 4 episodes, right? Then cancel so you are not locked into paying for full subscription. Just a thought of how you could get around it.

11 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

I have bad news for you. 

:annoyed: Well hopefully, it is a super small part. Actually, after I posted last night, I went on Tumblr to find  a post I saw about it a few weeks back. And realised that the actress confirmed that April will be part of summer episode. Saw too many other spoilers too, like Rory's supposed love interest, which actually annoyed me more than April being in it. I hope that one is wrong or just a guess.

No more spoilers, just gonna forget it til it airs. When does it start ? Was a date confirmed?

9 hours ago, Imaginary_Wonderland said:

@Playagirl I don't know how it works in America, maybe Netflix has different conditions etc. But I am sure I know someone who signed up for free for a trial month. This was someone who I met while living in Brussels for 3 months. And at that point Netflix had just started there. I already had an account Uk/Ire so was able to access it in Brussels too. But this guy who I met there was from Spain they didn't have Netflix there so he did a trail month to keep himself entertained while staying. I got an email when I arrived home from him, begging me to log in to his account and shut it down etc so it would not be charged from then on, as in Spain he no longer had access to Netflix or his account to cancel the trial.

I'm 99% sure the month trial was free, maybe a small fee, but I didn't really ask. Perhaps you could look into getting a trial Netflix account to see the revival. It is only 4 episodes, right? Then cancel so you are not locked into paying for full subscription. Just a thought of how you could get around it.

:annoyed: Well hopefully, it is a super small part. Actually, after I posted last night, I went on Tumblr to find  a post I saw about it a few weeks back. And realised that the actress confirmed that April will be part of summer episode. Saw too many other spoilers too, like Rory's supposed love interest, which actually annoyed me more than April being in it. I hope that one is wrong or just a guess.

No more spoilers, just gonna forget it til it airs. When does it start ? Was a date confirmed?

Yes I can definitely get a free month trial here in Canada.  My concern is more that, depending on how they release the 4 episodes, I might get partway through viewing them and the subscription may end. If they release them all at once I'd be fine but if they stagger them out I may miss some. I think I'd rather miss the entire reboot then get partway through. I think it starts the end of November. 

14 hours ago, Playagirl said:

Yes I can definitely get a free month trial here in Canada.  My concern is more that, depending on how they release the 4 episodes, I might get partway through viewing them and the subscription may end. If they release them all at once I'd be fine but if they stagger them out I may miss some. I think I'd rather miss the entire reboot then get partway through. I think it starts the end of November. 

Netflix is releasing all four episodes at once.

I didn't know April was In it. I only watched GG for the first time last year. Then I watched twice . April made me crazy because of her voice I knew I knew her from somewhere else but it took the second time through to realize she was Bay from Switched at Birth. Shocking because I had always watched that show. The actress I've now seen in several movies and such. Given her part on GG was rather short I didn't see them bringing her back. Is it the original actress? She pretty busy at this time. But so is Melissa. 

10 minutes ago, sassyNoz47 said:

I didn't know April was In it. I only watched GG for the first time last year. Then I watched twice . April made me crazy because of her voice I knew I knew her from somewhere else but it took the second time through to realize she was Bay from Switched at Birth. Shocking because I had always watched that show. The actress I've now seen in several movies and such. Given her part on GG was rather short I didn't see them bringing her back. Is it the original actress? She pretty busy at this time. But so is Melissa. 

'April' is also the girl who got kidnapped, trapped in a basement and re-appeared in the woods on Grey's Anatomy a few seasons ago. The actress has grown up so much, I doubt she'll be as dorky as the 12-year-old April we remember from season 6.

Btw, I saw a promo pic in a German magazine a few days ago and on it was a plate with Pop-Tarts and...an apple. Everyone is putting bets on Lorelai being pregnant 'cause she's been seen wearing the 'I'm with human' shirt, but my guess is still Rory. Lorelai would be what? 48? right now. That's just so unlikely, when even Michelle Duggar won't get pregnant anymore at 48,unless the pregnancy happens in a flashback.

Here in Italy i didn't yet see more news about the revival. I need to refresh the last tw o season 'cuse i don't remember a lot of things. I really like the original GG at the start i hating Emily, but then i Fall in love with her charachter, she was so different from what i use to see... Hope that this autumn/winter also here we could see the show again. So exaited to see what is happen in this then years... Didi we have a date? 

Archived