IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Counting On, Regular Season 1 - Part 2

Coconut Flan

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to wonder how much time the Duggars actually spend even reading the Bible. The older girls were probably too busy running their parents household and raising their children, and everyone else in the family seems so lazy that I'm having a hard time imagining them actually taking the time to read/study the Bible. 

But I agree with a previous poster from part 1 of this thread, if they are actually reading the Bible, how can they not notice all the inconsistencies between what Bill Gothard tells them about God and Christianity and what the Bible says about it. I haven't even read the Bible since I was in high school (which was almost 2 decades ago) and I didn't read it that thoroughly back then either, and I can see tons of ways that Gothard's teachings contradict the Bible. So how can such supposedly devout Christians not notice these glaring differences?

@RoseWilder I couldn't agree with you more! Have we seen them with their bibles recently? I bet they will say TLC doesn't want them to be too "Christian". I know Michelle posts their favorite Bible verses On their FB page, but can they explain them? 

29 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

I'm starting to wonder how much time the Duggars actually spend even reading the Bible. The older girls were probably too busy running their parents household and raising their children, and everyone else in the family seems so lazy that I'm having a hard time imagining them actually taking the time to read/study the Bible. 

But I agree with a previous poster from part 1 of this thread, if they are actually reading the Bible, how can they not notice all the inconsistencies between what Bill Gothard tells them about God and Christianity and what the Bible says about it. I haven't even read the Bible since I was in high school (which was almost 2 decades ago) and I didn't read it that thoroughly back then either, and I can see tons of ways that Gothard's teachings contract the Bible. So how can such supposedly devout Christians not notice these glaring differences?

In all of their reality TV shows which are supposed to be their "ministry" to the world, I don't think they have ever quoted anything attributed to God from the Bible.  The only thing they ever quote is the book of Proverbs, which is just a collection of pithy sayings like Benjamin Franklin was famous for.

In the book he wrote with Michelle, The Duggars: 20 and Counting (counting one of two miscarriages):

"Our family's tradition is to read a chapter from the Old Testament book of Proverbs every day.  Proverbs has thirty-one chapters, and we try to read the chapter corresponding to the day of the month."

Not much real Bible reading goes on in that family.  Their religion is nothing more than anti-abortion and anti-birth control, i.e., nothing about God at all.

15 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

But I agree with a previous poster from part 1 of this thread, if they are actually reading the Bible, how can they not notice all the inconsistencies between what Bill Gothard tells them about God and Christianity and what the Bible says about it. I haven't even read the Bible since I was in high school (which was almost 2 decades ago) and I didn't read it that thoroughly back then either, and I can see tons of ways that Gothard's teachings contradict the Bible. So how can such supposedly devout Christians not notice these glaring differences?

Theoretically, they do Bible study every night/every few nights before bed. Because this is an almost ubiquitous practice in fundieism I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. But I wouldn't doubt at all that the kids don't pay as much attention or do it on their own time the way other fundie kids do. After all, unlike other fundie families, the Duggars have the means and the platform to seek out other entertainment. 

As to how they reconcile the Bible and their cult, almost everyone picks and chooses what they follow in the Bible. Most mainstream Christians accept that they are essentially trying to follow the spirit of the text, not every literal word. I think the Duggars just take it a step further, which is to either a) twist all the literal words to mean something in line with your thinking (not so hard in a cult when there is always someone around to conveniently explain away any troublesome verses) or b ) focus on the parts that support your beliefs, and see the remainder as unimportant background noise.

Joseph has been reported to have read the whole Bible in one year. Michelle talks about falling asleep to the CDs of someone reading the Bible aloud. Joseph is pretty quiet; we never know what he's really thinking about what he's reading. We know they know the basics; the stories of Jesus being born at Christmas, dying and rising again at Easter, and Noah's ark, as they acted in such a play. Actually, come to think of it, something was off with Jimbob and Michelle acting out the story of Jesus and the Samaritan woman at the well. Gotta re-watch that one.

in the newest preview on TLC - Jana comes over to help Jessa with light fixtures and they show Jessa and #theedgypreachers bedroom and the bed is a total upheaval mess - you would think because they are being filmed they would make the damn bed. 

5 minutes ago, nst said:

in the newest preview on TLC - Jana comes over to help Jessa with light fixtures and they show Jessa and #theedgypreachers bedroom and the bed is a total upheaval mess - you would think because they are being filmed they would make the damn bed. 

It's not like the film crew just stopped by while in the neighborhood...

14 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

In all of their reality TV shows which are supposed to be their "ministry" to the world, I don't think they have ever quoted anything attributed to God from the Bible.  The only thing they ever quote is the book of Proverbs, which is just a collection of pithy sayings like Benjamin Franklin was famous for.

In the book he wrote with Michelle, The Duggars: 20 and Counting (counting one of two miscarriages):

"Our family's tradition is to read a chapter from the Old Testament book of Proverbs every day.  Proverbs has thirty-one chapters, and we try to read the chapter corresponding to the day of the month."

Not much real Bible reading goes on in that family.  Their religion is nothing more than anti-abortion and anti-birth control, i.e., nothing about God at all.

Yes, I've also noticed that they never (that I've heard) speak of Jesus. I was raised Christian and following Jesus is basically the point. 

8 minutes ago, nst said:

That is exactly what I thought. Amazing.

7 minutes ago, nst said:

Eh, they've had all their metaphorical dirty laundry aired through the media. I'm sure the literal stuff is comparatively nothing.

Just now, Antimony said:

Eh, they've had all their metaphorical dirty laundry aired through the media. I'm sure the literal stuff is comparatively nothing.

so they can deny the dirty laundry that is real and the dirty laundry that is metaphorical 

sounds like the Duggars to me 

24 minutes ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

@RoseWilder I couldn't agree with you more! Have we seen them with their bibles recently? I bet they will say TLC doesn't want them to be too "Christian". I know Michelle posts their favorite Bible verses On their FB page, but can they explain them? 

I bet they can't. I also notice that they can't ever explain why God wants them to do the things that Gothard has taught them to do. They try to pretend like all the stuff that Gothard tells them to do is in the Bible, but they can't ever seem to tell us what Bible quote inspired that rule. Does anyone else remember that episode where producers were asking them why they believe God wants them to wear skirts? Every member of the family rambled and tried to come up with something and the only one who came up with an actual answer was Michelle, who said, "Because God wants us to dress like ladies." I'm trying to recall a Bible verse that says that God wants us to dress like ladies. Nope. Can't think of one.

17 minutes ago, nst said:

What in the world does Jessa do all day?????????

1 minute ago, DuggarWatch said:

Fix her hair, post selfies and act self-righteous on social media. 

4 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

from the looks of it - she stares in spurge's eyes all day 

and breastfeeds 

jill never breast fed that much lol and you can hear him 

2 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

I bet they can't. I also notice that they can't ever explain why God wants them to do the things that Gothard has taught them to do. They try to pretend like all the stuff that Gothard tells them to do is in the Bible, but they can't ever seem to tell us what Bible quote inspired that rule. Does anyone else remember that episode where producers were asking them why they believe God wants them to wear skirts? Every member of the family rambled and tried to come up with something and the only one who came up with an actual answer was Michelle, who said, "Because God wants us to dress like ladies." I'm trying to recall a Bible verse that says that God wants us to dress like ladies. Nope. Can't think of one.

Deuteronomy 22:5 is the verse they quote, about how man should not wear women's clothing and women not wear men's clothing. Many studies have been done with other fundie/fundie-lites about what that means, and back in Bible times the men's robes and women's robes did have some differences. But pants-wearing came later. They concluded that there are times for women to wear pants, like when doing farm work, firefighter work, you get the point. Yeah; this is becoming more eye-opening. Let's stay tuned as Easter is coming soon.

12 minutes ago, BullyJBG said:

Deuteronomy 22:5 is the verse they quote, about how man should not wear women's clothing and women not wear men's clothing. Many studies have been done with other fundie/fundie-lites about what that means, and back in Bible times the men's robes and women's robes did have some differences. But pants-wearing came later. They concluded that there are times for women to wear pants, like when doing farm work, firefighter work, you get the point. Yeah; this is becoming more eye-opening. Let's stay tuned as Easter is coming soon.

No, I meant the exact quote. Michelle couldn't name the actual part of the Bible that this rule came from. And the best she could do was "God wants us to dress like ladies," which isn't a Bible quote. My point was just that if they really read and studied the Bible as much as they act like they do, they would be able to come up with the verse and tell us which part of the Bible the verse came from. 

Not one member of that family could name where in the Bible that quote came from, or give us a quote, or even explain that part of Deuteronomy or what it means. They just rambled for awhile and then Michelle said, "Well, um, because God wants us to dress like ladies." She made it sound like that was an actual thing in the Bible. As if the Bible said, "And then God commanded that women dress like ladies." 

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself well in my original post. 

36 minutes ago, Hera said:

It's not like the film crew just stopped by while in the neighborhood...

Do they not have a PA to do that sh*t?

She's just waiting for sturgeon to be big enough to make bed making his jurisdiction.  Auto correct changed it to sturgeon. I'm ok with that.  

Maybe she wants to adopt so she can request a a girl and start her j slave team faster

15 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

She's just waiting for sturgeon to be big enough to make bed making his jurisdiction.  Auto correct changed it to sturgeon. I'm ok with that.  

Maybe she wants to adopt so she can request a a girl and start her j slave team faster

And have him to women's work?! Surely, you jest. 

If I pray for anything, it's for the lot of them to only birth sons. 

• Coconut Flan pinned this topic
  • Criscat locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived