IGNORED

The Archers on BBC Radio 4

constantgardener

I don't often post these days but wondered if any UK FJers (or indeed FJers from anywhere) listen to The Archers? For anyone not in the know this is a long running daily radio 'soap' based in a farming community. At the moment there is an extremely upsetting and tense storyline about a controlling and abusive marriage, which I am finding increasingly difficult to listen to. Anyone else struggling?

I haven't heard it - my internet is iffy for radio connection, and oh my god I miss the Archers! I grew up listening to them at 1.45 when I was very little, and then at 6.45 when I was doing my homework. Then they moved it to 7.00. Do you remember when Uncle Tom Forrest gave the intro to the Sunday omnibus? I could be on Mastermind for The Archers, 1956 - 1996.

A really good mate of mine when I was a student has played David Archer for about 40 years - he's not only an actor, he is now also the 12th Earl of Portland!  But no stately home, and, sadly, no money! (Not doxxing, if you look up who plays David, that's the first info you find. I know his wife too  - we hitched round France and Italy together in about 1973....)

And who is involved in this storyline?

Wow, connections to Archers Royalty! I've only been listening for about 10 years, having got into it when I was at home with the kids. The current storyline is about Helen Archer and her new husband, Rob, who moved to Ambridge as a farm manager. He is an extremely nasty piece of work and has basically manipulated Helen into thinking she is going crazy. He has raped her, resulting in a pregnancy, and last week managed to convince her that it was her fault he hit her. It is very stressful to hear, but I can't switch off because I don't want to miss him getting his comeuppance!

Helen is Jennifer's daughter,right? Or is she Tony's  - and Jennifer's granddaughter - the generations move so fast as I get older.....

Helen is Tony and Pat's daughter. She has a young son, Henry, who she had via a sperm donor. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived