IGNORED

Crockpot Recipes & Tips

batwing

On March 21, 2016 at 2:56 PM, Maggie Mae said:

One of my favorite non soup recipes is Kalua Pig. Take a pork butt roast. put liquid smoke and hawaiian sea salt on it. (rub in like a tablespoon of each, maybe some more salt, ymmv). Put in the the slow cooker on low. Leave it there until it's done, 8-20 hours later. 

When it comes to crockpot recipes I prefer simpler things like this.

You can cook whole chickens too. Google crock pot rotisserie chicken. I cook pork loins too. I cut slits into the pork and put garlic cloves in them then season with salt, pepper, thyme, crushed red pepper.....whatever floats my boat at the moment, then lay it on a bed of sliced onions, and add some broth. I end up with a tender falling apart roast. Another faveorit is to use either bottom round roast or chuck steak and I add chopped onions and garlic, crushed red pepper, half an orange or a bit of orange juice, and a can or two of Campbell's beef consume.( you can use broth but consume is better) I shred the meat after its cooked for tacos, or burrito bowls, enchelladas.......

I love to cook pork loin or a roast in the crock pot.  

• 2 weeks later...

I use a variation on this recipe for making apple butter in my crock pot:

http://www.sbcanning.com/2013/10/crockpot-apple-butter-that-is-safe-to.html

I use Fireball (cinnamon whisky) instead of apple cider or water.

I use a tablespoon of apple pie spice (fresh) instead of 4 tabelspoons of cinnamon, since the fireball provides so much cinnamon flavor already.

I also add the sugar and spice at the beginning of the cooking process, and don't puree with my immersion blender until I'm ready to jar it up.

It turns out silky, spicy, and delicious!

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/9/2013 at 7:08 PM, moonbeam59 said:

Would anyone be willing to share a favorite slow cooker recipe (or link)? I'm trying to start using mine, but there are just SO many recipes out there! :pink-shock: I'd be ever so grateful for a specific recommendation :)

Barbacue ribs.

You fry ribs for just some seconds, just to change the meat colour.

You put ribs in the crockpot  and "paint" them with barbacue sauce. I did  it myself: 1 spoon of honey, 1 spoon of brown sugar, 2spoon tomato puree, 1 spoon apple vinegar and 1 spoon red sweet pepper.

I have a Rival crockpot and I cook ribs 2 and a half hours high.

Well, I see the message is old, but anyway, here you are.

Archived