IGNORED

Bates Family: Babies Galore! Part 12

Boogalou

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, color me shocked that fundies would watch Downton Abbey. All of the younger women on that show are fiercely independent. Lady Edith, running a magazine, with an out-of-wedlock child. Lady Mary, first sleeping with the Turkish consul (?) as a teenager, later deciding she wants to sleep with a guy before she can decide whether she wants to marry him. She also has a career in running the estate, by the way. Lady Rose, who was very clear on what - and who - she wanted. I won't even get started on the servants. How can the Salyers justify this? I'm clutching my pearls here!

The S'Mortons watch "Downton Abbey" :my_confused: 

ETA:

Lots of fundies watch mainstream movies, wear pants etc,...including the very quiverfull S'Morton families. How many of the families that we follow are 100% against movies, tv, sports music, pants, and education?  

I think it's cute that both babies are girls this time around. I don't get how they can know what name they are going with and announce it so early, though. 

9 minutes ago, bucherwurm said:

I think it's cute that both babies are girls this time around. I don't get how they can know what name they are going with and announce it so early, though. 

Some people announce as soon as the kid is conceived (ie this will be John or Mary).  Others wait until they know what it is, and others wait until after the kid is born.

My sister didn't announce until the girls were born because she didn't want to hear comments on the name.  It's a lot easier to say Meet Baby XYZ than to listen to people criticize the name for X months.

57 minutes ago, bucherwurm said:

We have names selected for both sexes already. Some couples just know - others wait to decide until they meet the baby and others really struggle picking. 

Personally, we likely won't be telling anyone the names until we eventually have the actual kid. People can have really strong opinions about names and we'd rather not deal with that. Other couples don't care about other opinions and don't mind sharing ahead of time. 

1 hour ago, bucherwurm said:

i wonder how much of releasing the names so early was political on their part (ie like to demonstrate how they consider the developing baby to be very much alive)

I wonder how much is them and how much is UP.  Maybe UP wanted them to release the names.

2 hours ago, Kira said:

The S'Mortons watch "Downton Abbey" :my_confused: 

ETA:

Lots of fundies watch mainstream movies, wear pants etc,...including the very quiverfull S'Morton families. How many of the families that we follow are 100% against movies, tv, sports music, pants, and education?  

I guess just the Maxwells. Even the Shupes allow (some) movies, e.g. Inside Out, Star Wars etc. The Duggars and Bateseseses are probably next in line, but they have endorsed Christian movies in the past. The Maxwells don't even do that. 

But then the Maxwells are just whack jobs. 

I didn't announce my pregnancy until I had the first scan at 12 weeks. Even then I was on edge hoping I wouldn't jinx it.

Good to see Erin and Chad waited a bit longer to announce. I hope the pregnancy goes well for them considering Erin's health issues.

I just don't understand how they can talk about nothing BUT JESUS. There are only so many times you can go over the bible. "Critical thinking" there is only so much of that you can do! You need to have off time, have other interests, have something in common other than Jesus.

I know I am saying things everyone else has already said. I just lose my mind when every couple always says "I was drawn to her/his godly spirit and good character" just say he/she was hot/beautiful and that is what attracted you then you got to know them, etc. I do feel like Chad and Erin are the only ones who actually said they thought the other was hot and thats what drew them

As someone said in the last Bates thread, t e main difference between the Bateses and DUggars-money. You have to give Boob credit He made some good investments and got his family on TV years ago. Like the DUggars, the Bateses lived cramped in that tiny house until the Duggars and TLC came along. The Bateses actually got famous because they knew the Duggars.

As far as ALyssa marrying the son of a US congressman, that congressman follows the same strict Patriarchal rules and a top dog in ATI. He became known as Taliban Dan.
It beats me why anyone thinks the Bates are more liberal. Look at Cynthia Jueb. She went to college and some wore pants yet they were still controlled.
The Bates and DUggars have both changed since they first appeared in those prairie dresses. Without TLC neither family wouldn't be this well off.

Wait, who watches Downton Abbey? One of the Bates? 

Brooklyn Elise is a nice name. I wish it were reversed as Elise is nicer, IMO but it's sweet her and Whitney will have girls together.

45 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Wait, who watches Downton Abbey? One of the Bates? 

Brooklyn Elise is a nice name. I wish it were reversed as Elise is nicer, IMO but it's sweet her and Whitney will have girls together.

Nathan's likely fiancée/courtshipee posted a pic on instagram of her, a sister and a friend after watching it.  We don't know if a Bates is watching it themselves, but Nathan's girl is.

I still can't get over the fact their baby announcements were the same. There are so many good ideas for gender/baby reveals! Maybe UP insisted, I don't know.

4 hours ago, season of life said:

I still can't get over the fact their baby announcements were the same. There are so many good ideas for gender/baby reveals! Maybe UP insisted, I don't know.

Buy used, save the difference.

8 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

i wonder how much of releasing the names so early was political on their part (ie like to demonstrate how they consider the developing baby to be very much alive)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a baby is very much wanted by its parents, don't they always think of it as a living thing, rather than a 'clump of cells' as some people put it?

7 hours ago, hollywood said:

I just don't understand how they can talk about nothing BUT JESUS. There are only so many times you can go over the bible. "Critical thinking" there is only so much of that you can do! You need to have off time, have other interests, have something in common other than Jesus.

I know I am saying things everyone else has already said. I just lose my mind when every couple always says "I was drawn to her/his godly spirit and good character" just say he/she was hot/beautiful and that is what attracted you then you got to know them, etc. I do feel like Chad and Erin are the only ones who actually said they thought the other was hot and thats what drew them

Wait, when did they say the other was hot?!

1 hour ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

Wait, when did they say the other was hot?!

I mean, they didn't actually use the word 'hot.' But they did make it very clear that they saw each other for the first time and were instantly smitten. Not like one of those stories where they didn’t even notice each other for 27.5 years until the Lord saw fit to lay it on the guy’s heart to contact the girl’s father about getting to know her better. Or something.

1 hour ago, actuallyjessica said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a baby is very much wanted by its parents, don't they always think of it as a living thing, rather than a 'clump of cells' as some people put it?

It's kind of like how fundies wear that "I Survived Roe v. Wade" t-shirt without realizing that "surviving" it implies that their mom tried to abort them and failed (i.e. didn't want them). Speaks volumes about fundie motherhood.

6 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

I refer to our lost pregnancy as both. Biologically speaking, it was a clump of cells and had no chance of surviving outside the womb. I know that, am fully aware of that fact, and I'm grateful I didn't suffer a loss later on in my pregnancy (would have preferred not to lose the baby at all, but life is unfair sometimes - and if it had to happen to someone I'm glad it was me and not my big sister, who had her little boy last month.)

Speaking emotionally though, it was my baby - doesn't matter how big or small or developed... That was my baby and it always will be.

4 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

It's kind of like how fundies wear that "I Survived Roe v. Wade" t-shirt without realizing that "surviving" it implies that their mom tried to abort them and failed (i.e. didn't want them). Speaks volumes about fundie motherhood.

I'm not Fundie by any means. I fully understand the difference between that way of thinking about abortion and the way people educated about it actually view it. Fundie view is just wrong.

I still refer to our lost pregnancy as a baby at times - I even named it because I felt terrible thinking of our very wanted child as an "it" forever. I don't care how stupid it is or how uneducated I sound or anything - that pregnancy was desperately loved and wanted. To me, it will always be my baby.

Other people are free to feel differently about their own losses though - if it helps someone heal to always think it was just a clump of cells then I see no issue with that. Every pregnancy and every loss is unique. As long as people aren't trying to legislate how I think, feel, or treat my own body I could care less what they think.

(I'm looking at you Fundies! Stop being assholes!)

Not everything fundies do is a calculated move to appear more attractive to non-fundies. I'm pretty sure fundie couples talk about things other than Jesus. And while it probably helps to be married into a less legalistic family, Alyssa seems quite capable of deciding whether she wants to wear jeans or not. Announcing a baby's name and/or gender is does not have to be a political statement about abortion. Plenty of secular people do the same.

I have no doubt there is a small percentage of fundies who do eat and breath their faith, but I also think most fundies live their day-to-day lives like the rest of us. I'm not defending their beliefs, I just hate black and white thinking on either side.

34 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I still refer to our lost pregnancy as a baby at times - I even named it because I felt terrible thinking of our very wanted child as an "it" forever. I don't care how stupid it is or how uneducated I sound or anything - that pregnancy was desperately loved and wanted. To me, it will always be my baby.

I also named my first baby/pregnancy who was a first trimester loss. Same reasoning as you. Although my husband found it unhelpful for him personally it helped me with the healing process. And you most definitely don't sound stupid or uneducated at all. Quite the opposite- eloquent and moving, especially when writing about a topic and emotions that can be so difficult to put into words.

I'm very sorry for your loss @VelociRapture.

8 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

I also named my first baby/pregnancy who was a first trimester loss. Same reasoning as you. Although my husband found it unhelpful for him personally it helped me with the healing process. And you most definitely don't sound stupid or uneducated at all. Quite the opposite- eloquent and moving, especially when writing about a topic and emotions that can be so difficult to put into words.

I'm very sorry for your loss @VelociRapture.

Thanks. And I'm very sorry for your loss as well.

My husband is the same way - he cautioned me from getting too excited because anything could happen. I wish I had been able to... But at the same time I'm glad I got that excited. It means that baby only ever knew my love for them - and their daddy's love too (he started talking to my tummy soon after cautioning me because he couldn't help himself.) I'm willing to deal with the fallout now if it means my baby knew love for even the shortest time possible.

Hubby also told me not to name the baby because he thought it wouldn't help me. I ignored that because I know myself better than that. :pb_lol:

(He knows the baby has a name, but not what I chose. It's a gender neutral name that he never would have picked for our baby - but a name I love. I'll tell him at some point.)

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived