IGNORED

Paroled from Jesus jail: Josh comes home - part 14

Boogalou

30 minutes ago, Mothership said:

I don't see how a speaking tour could be profitable.   One stop and everything he has to say will be reported out.   Why would anyone want to pay to hear him after that.   I'd think even the Leghumpers would be a little hesitant about supporting a multi-city/venue tour.  At least I hope so.

My guess is the only way for him to make money is a book--and not a book about his redemption, but a tell all with all the details on JB and DQ

You are thinking like a worldly person. Most fundies, and a lot of strict conservatives do not watch TV, or do much on line surfing out side of Godly places. They eat this kind of stuff up. 

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would have to be a book about the perils of the cult. "I've Been Redeemed (again)" would not sell a lot of books, and would be rather short. Maybe a tract to hand out. If he wrote a tell all, he would have to admit the molestation. Maybe TLC could make a movie about it.

31 minutes ago, Mothership said:

I don't see how a speaking tour could be profitable.   One stop and everything he has to say will be reported out.   Why would anyone want to pay to hear him after that.   I'd think even the Leghumpers would be a little hesitant about supporting a multi-city/venue tour.  At least I hope so.

My guess is the only way for him to make money is a book--and not a book about his redemption, but a tell all with all the details on JB and DQ

When I was a kid I went on a day trip to opryland (theme park) with a fundie light friend's church youth group. The downside was that we had to listen to a talk given by one of these redeemed sinner speakers first.  It was at the old Ryman auditorium.  Did they tear it down or just move to a new space, IDK?I was awed by that place.  It was like you could feel the history coming out of the walls, but I digress... ;)

Anyway, the speaker, whose name escapes me, told tales about the drug abuse and satan worship he was involved in prior to being 'saved'. I remember thinking holy cow- is this really appropriate for kids our age? :o

This guy made a career of appearances like this in the 70s. The more lurid the pre-redemption stories, the more popular these kinds of speakers were. ;) I wonder now if any of the stories were even true. 

Joshley may have a career waiting for him after all.

8 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

When I was a kid I went on a day trip to opryland (theme park) with a fundie light friend's church youth group. The downside was that we had to listen to a talk given by one of these redeemed sinner speakers first.  It was at the old Ryman auditorium.  Did they tear it down or just move to a new space, IDK?I was awed by that place.  It was like you could feel the history coming out of the walls, but I digress... ;)

Anyway, the speaker, whose name escapes me, told tales about the drug abuse and satan worship he was involved in prior to being 'saved'. I remember thinking holy cow- is this really appropriate for kids our age? :o

This guy made a career of appearances like this in the 70s. The more lurid the pre-redemption stories, the more popular these kinds of speakers were. ;) I wonder now if any of the stories were even true. 

First post here...I'm a chronic lurker. Hello. This wasn't with a fundy group but I remember a person convicted of murder came to our school as a motivational speaker. I understand that he was quite young and involved in some gang like activityI(I believe the person murdered was not involved in any of it though) when it happened, so it wasn't as though as he was some serial killer - but looking back I wonder why this person was a motivational speaker? It was a long time ago, but looking back I can't help but find it kind of odd. Sure, we were teenagers but it seems too complicated a subject for adolescents. 

This thread makes me think of Marjoe Gortner, does anyone remember him?  He was so great in Food of the Gods, and other movies. ;) 

I hope to meet him some day. :D

1 hour ago, Jucifer said:

This guy made a career of appearances like this in the 70s. The more lurid the pre-redemption stories, the more popular these kinds of speakers were. ;)I wonder now if any of the stories were even true. 

I'm thinking this was probably Mike Warnke. None of his stories stood up to any scrutiny, and he's been thoroughly discredited. He does still have a ministry of some sort, though I haven't heard much about him since the '80s.

1 hour ago, Jucifer said:

Was it this guy? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Warnke

28 minutes ago, Miranda said:

I'm thinking this was probably Mike Warnke. None of his stories stood up to any scrutiny, and he's been thoroughly discredited. He does still have a ministry of some sort, though I haven't heard much about him since the '80s.

OMG bingo!!! :D

29 minutes ago, CyborgKin said:

You guys are formidable sleuths. :D

2 hours ago, Jucifer said:

Opryland is gone but The Ryman and Opry House are still perfectly in use and intact :) 

23 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

Opryland is gone but The Ryman and Opry House are still perfectly in use and intact :) 

Really glad to hear that, SportsgalAnnie, thank you! :)

Opryland was kind of boring from what I remember.  It was the first time I was brave enough to ride a roller coaster, though.  

I thought if this Mike Warnke was brave enough to worship Satan, then I had to be brave enough to ride a roller coaster. ;). I did, and I even went back for a second ride. :D

5 hours ago, Jucifer said:

When I was a kid I went on a day trip to opryland (theme park) with a fundie light friend's church youth group. The downside was that we had to listen to a talk given by one of these redeemed sinner speakers first.  It was at the old Ryman auditorium.  Did they tear it down or just move to a new space, IDK?I was awed by that place.  It was like you could feel the history coming out of the walls, but I digress...

The Ryman is still there.  They remodeled it a little, but it is still in Downtown Nashville.  The Grand Old Opry now performs out of its own theater/studio built in the 1980s or early 90s at the edge of Opryland USA.  When the park was closed down because the area did not have enough shopping malls, the Opry building remained.  It is still very popular.  I agree about the Ryman's beauty.  I suppose as a former church, it was an appropriate venue for a "repent and fear" lecture.

One of my favorite things about fhe Opry auditorium is that they cut out the stage where the performers usually sang at the Ryman and built it into the stage at the Opry. I always thought that was really cool. I've only been once but I would love to take a tour.

14 hours ago, Howl said:

The Joshly Redemption World Tour

Everybody loves a repentant sinner. 

Going to the Joshly Redemption World Tour :omg:

Think Christian schools would let him talk to the students during a pre-prom rally after the principal talks about the perils of sexting and dirty dancing?

11 hours ago, GoddessoftheUnderworld said:

First post here...I'm a chronic lurker. Hello. This wasn't with a fundy group but I remember a person convicted of murder came to our school as a motivational speaker. I understand that he was quite young and involved in some gang like activityI(I believe the person murdered was not involved in any of it though) when it happened, so it wasn't as though as he was some serial killer - but looking back I wonder why this person was a motivational speaker? It was a long time ago, but looking back I can't help but find it kind of odd. Sure, we were teenagers but it seems too complicated a subject for adolescents. 

There was a trend for awhile when I was young about scaring kids straight.  Prisoners would tell horrific stories about their lives of crime, and their lives in prison.

I am still not buying that there will be a redemption tour. I could see one if he just cheated on his wife but not the child molestation. That is hard to get around. No one cares about the cheating. To go on a speaking tour you need to still meet with the press to promote the tour. Do we really think that the press is going to fawn over him and not ask about the molestation? Josh had his parents and his sisters try and explain away the molestation before. He couldn't even face the press then, how would he do it now? You think GMA or the Today Show is going to kiss his ass now? Not going to happen. What media organization is going to want to hear that they gave a child molester a platform to try and make his actions sound acceptable?

There aren't enough leghumpers to make any redemption tour profitable and I don't believe regular people want to put money into the pockets of a child molester. How does the perpetrator of child molestation make a redemption tour successful? What sponsor is going put their name to that? Who wants to say they are making money off child molestation? Most of all, how does Josh successfully explain away the child molestation to the point that where people see his side and is ok with it? Most people know he never had real counseling, sohow does he explain that fake counseling "cured" him? How does he explain making money off being a child molester? Let's not even get started on how he is not charismatic, persuasive and has never come off as likable. I think the media and the public would be all over him if he went on any type of tour. Most people will accept that redemption and forgiveness is possible for almost anything. I don't think child molestation is easily included in that.

I think that the Duggars might envision something akin to a redemption tour, maybe even float it, but for all the reasons @socalrules just said, a real sponsored redemption tour won't happen. Josh may make the rounds of fundie churches being an "inspiration" and I still expect to see his "prodigal" return on this show, but the molestations will never be mentioned. 

soooo..... where is he? We figured he'd be back in the public eye in some capacity by Easter. But so far just reports of him furniture shopping in Arkansas.  No pictures? No family social media of "welcome back josh"? Why are they keeping him so deep undercover? afraid of media scrutiny?

14 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

soooo..... where is he? We figured he'd be back in the public eye in some capacity by Easter. But so far just reports of him furniture shopping in Arkansas.  No pictures? No family social media of "welcome back josh"? Why are they keeping him so deep undercover? afraid of media scrutiny?

he is away which I am happy about

But I really don't like or stand Anna - I never did- but now it's more apparent

When I was in high school, we had to sit through an assembly with a motivational speaker who had led a rough life, and I can't remember his backstory. I do remember him making us chant "Fubu for Pop!" Anyways, the best part was when the speaker asked a guy in my class to come down and answer some questions. The 16 year old (who was sweet, but kind of a big dunce) was asked to explain addiction. So, he said, "When a person...OR ANIMAL..." That's when my whole school lost it. Like we were really paying any attention before, though.

3 hours ago, socalrules said:

You think GMA or the Today Show is going to kiss his ass now? Not going to happen. What media organization is going to want to hear that they gave a child molester a platform to try and make his actions sound acceptable?

This!

They'd face the wrath of Oprah if nothing else.  Her production company demonstrated the necessary spine to say no and others will be expected to follow--at least for Josh.   I can see GMA and Today still allowing the girls some air time (sadly, victims sell ads), but even if DQ would miraculously get pregnant with spawn#20, I think (hope!) she'd JB'd be offered little air time as they should have to truly answer to lack of parenting and care for the girls

4 minutes ago, Mothership said:

I think (hope!) she'd JB'd be offered little air time as they should have to truly answer to lack of parenting and care for the girls

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think there was also a lack of care for Josh.

2 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think there was also a lack of care for Josh.

I agree.  We don't know what happened before or after to Josh.  We can be assured that no real therapy took place and still hasn't.   

19 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

I don't think that's necessarily an unpopular opinion.  During the flurry of activity following the release of the police reports last spring, I recall that a lot of posters believed that JB and Michelle had done Josh a tremendous disservice in his upbringing, which very possibly at least played a role in Josh deciding to make those "wrong choices," and that they way they handled the aftermath was ALSO a tremendous disservice to both Josh and his victims.  Most of the differences of opinion tended to be along the lines of "at what point does the primary responsibility for his choices shift from JB and Michelle to Josh?"  It doesn't excuse his behavior, of course, but my recollection is that most people were very much of the opinion that Josh got fucked over big time in the parenting department.

• Criscat locked this topic

Archived