IGNORED

Paroled from Jesus jail: Josh comes home - part 14

Boogalou

@Jucifer, to you and everyone else here who escaped fundamentalism, I absolutely bow to your strength.  I raised by liberal feminists, I have college and law degrees, and in my mid-30s I ended up married to an abusive alcoholic, completely brainwashed and crazy from co-dependency.  It took me FIVE YEARS to get my head on straight, and that was with a background of empowerment and accomplishment. The fact that folks like you figure all of this out ON YOUR OWN, with little or no outside support, after living your whole lives being programmed a certain way...well, that is a true testament to the human spirit.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, NeverAFundie said:

I'm a card-carrying liberal feminist, raised by card-carrying liberal feminists.  And I had zero idea about how truly destructive their practices are for the first few years I kept up with their lives.  The combination of TLC and the fawning press coverage in People Magazine has done more damage than I can describe.  Even in the darkest days of the dual scandals in 2015, very few media reports EVER did ANY meaningful probing into the Duggar belief system.  Some of their controversial beliefs may have been mentioned here or there, but very few media outlets did any significant coverage of how batshit crazy the belief system is.  Little to nothing on blanket training.  Little to nothing on the insanely subpar nature of their educations.  And NOBODY talked about how the Duggars share belief systems with families that have been destroyed by abuse.  And I recall very little, if any, discussion of the IBLP shitstorm and the Duggar connections to rapists, molestors, and abusers.

I would like nothing more than for some hard-boiled old-school investigative reporter for a nationally-respected publication to spend months investigating all of this and write a multi-part expose on the whole thing.  And then win a Pulitzer.  So far, it just hasn't gotten the mainstream traction it needs apart from the "entertainment" factor.

+1000

1 hour ago, vienna said:

Thanks @Jucifier for this great and interesting post. It is so intersting to hear from People who were raised fundi and managed to break free. Respect for that. To overcome childhood programming is a major Thing.

Thank you Vienna. :)

Sometimes I think I'm being a Debbie Downer but  I feel like I should say some of this stuff out loud- so other people will realize what fundie culture is like. ;)

8 minutes ago, Jucifer said:

Thank you Vienna. :)

Sometimes I think I'm being a Debbie Downer but  I feel like I should say some of this stuff out loud- so other people will realize what fundie culture is like. ;)

Not a Debbie Downer at all, @Jucifer.  It should be said out loud often, and hearing it from you and our other former fundy fj'ers gives it more emphasis.

2 hours ago, NeverAFundie said:

@Jucifer, to you and everyone else here who escaped fundamentalism, I absolutely bow to your strength.  I raised by liberal feminists, I have college and law degrees, and in my mid-30s I ended up married to an abusive alcoholic, completely brainwashed and crazy from co-dependency.  It took me FIVE YEARS to get my head on straight, and that was with a background of empowerment and accomplishment. The fact that folks like you figure all of this out ON YOUR OWN, with little or no outside support, after living your whole lives being programmed a certain way...well, that is a true testament to the human spirit.

NeverAFundie, it's the same thing and ugh, XOXO to you for finding your way out but I'm not surprised that you did. ;). You're clearly a smart cookie!

I'm so sorry for what you went through.  Kudos to you!!! :) XOXO!!!

In terms of Smuggar's appearance, what seems striking to me is how unhealthy he has looked for the past few years. None of the Duggar males ever look all that good, in my opinion, but Josh was looking as if he was too busy juggling his double life to bother to eat well, exercise, or take care of himself.

It makes me wonder whether, along the way, he was haunted by fears of getting caught. After all, he must have known the risks. He had a (presumably well-paying) job that was probably prestigious from his point of view. He engaged in behavior that he must have known could end his job if he was found out. Did it bother him at all? Or was he just indifferent to the consequences? I'd guess he might have been bothered--not by his conscience, necessarily, but by the potential danger his own choices were creating for his future.

Honestly I doubt very much that he was the only one at the FRC screwing around on his wife. He just got caught, very publicly, so they had to denounce and fire.

10 minutes ago, Evilbad said:

Honestly I doubt very much that he was the only one at the FRC screwing around on his wife. He just got caught, very publicly, so they had to denounce and fire.

He did not get fired from FRC because of Ashley Madison.  He was fired (forced to resign) over the molestation scandal

13 hours ago, Sundaymorning said:

So, according to this article, Pecan and Pris are visiting them? Also, the article said that Josh and Anna didn't seem to pick furniture out for themselves, but for Pecan and Pris? Unless Pecan wants to move to Tontitown to be Joshley's chaperone, the furniture was probably for J&A. But still, I do find it interesting that apparently, Pecan and Pris are there with them.

The location on their last tweet confirms they are indeed in Arkansas. EDIT: Maybe that's Jessa's location, rather than theirs? I'm unsure.waller.png

17 minutes ago, pfled said:

The location on their last tweet confirms they are indeed in Arkansas. EDIT: Maybe that's Jessa's location, rather than theirs? I'm unsure.waller.png

It's jessa's

Forgive me if this has already been addressed but if you Google "Josh Duggar world speaking tour" you will see numerous very recent articles speculating that Josh is planning a speaking tour.  It may be speculation but I believe this is the track Josh will take. There is money to be made on the redemption circus, er, circuit. 

I wonder if a tour is part of his redemption. That just sounds like something fundie prison would do. "Now go out there & tell the WORLD how Jesus saved you from a life of sin and debotchery."

1 hour ago, ksgranola1 said:

I wonder if a tour is part of his redemption. That just sounds like something fundie prison would do. "Now go out there & tell the WORLD how Jesus saved you from a life of sin and debotchery."

I witnessed something like that when I was in high school.  We had to go to an assembly for a motivational speaker (not religious).  The speaker introduced two "former drug addicts."  They talked about how their lives were on a downward spiral due to drugs.  Then one of them said, "But now I'm clean!  I haven't used cocaine in nine days!"  My friends and I turned to each other in shock.  Nine days?  These people were still in the early stages of recovery--they had no business speaking in front of a crowd.  The speech must have been the final part of their program, because they got certificates at the end.  The principal must have gotten a ton of complaints, because he ended up apologizing over the morning announcements.

3 hours ago, Becket70 said:

Forgive me if this has already been addressed but if you Google "Josh Duggar world speaking tour" you will see numerous very recent articles speculating that Josh is planning a speaking tour.  It may be speculation but I believe this is the track Josh will take. There is money to be made on the redemption circus, er, circuit. 

Oh good grief. I wonder if he'll get any hecklers. ;) 

19 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

@Wenny  Bless you and glad you found a good therapist. So sorry you had to experience this. 

Thanks.  It been a crazy ride. 

7 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

A life of debauchery, botched by the power of Jesus.

So, he'll hide behind his parents and sisters' skirts during the Megyn Kelly Fox interview, go underground at RU for six months and then emerge skinny, shiny and saved for a speaking tour. That makes my blood boil.

9 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

Do you guys think he would get enough audience to make a tour financially profitable?

Unless they get a sponsor, or are hosted by a church or religious organization who pays all the costs, they would need enough ticket sales (or "love offerings") to pay for all the expenses such a tour generates (and since the Duggars certainly won't let him go wandering around the country alone, there will be at least a few chaperones plus probably his wife and kids around, so that will cost quite a bit).

As for a sponsor, I doubt any organization would pay anything for Joshley right now, even TLC won't touch him with a ten foot pole, especially not after some sponsors quit because of "counting on".And the churches? Which church would host him? Maybe a few smaller ones who want some attention, but that is not enough. The most I could see him is if Pecan would take him with him when they embark on their next tour to brainwash counsel families all over the country. But with ATI/IBLPs current financial situation, I doubt Joshley would get much money out of this.

I mean, if he now proves for a few years that he is able to stay a faithful husband (or at least doesn't get caught again), then yes, he would have some credibility. But straight out of Jesus jail? Even most fundies aren't that delusional to think that he could really teach them something now.

A Josh speaking tour as the "repentant" sinner might be the way he would go in a few years, but isn't too soon? He was caught, he didn't come clean. He just got out of sex offender/cheater rehab. He isn't sorry, so it is likely he will cheat again. It's all fake. Going on a speaking tour would drag Anna and their kids around to back up his bogus story! Haven't they been through enough? 

Did anybody else notice how Anna told Jessa to check Ben's phone and social media to make sure he was watching the baby and not doing "other" things? And that awkward joke about her husband not being around to watch Meredith? It was sad. Her trust is gone and for good reason.    

I don't see how a speaking tour could be profitable.   One stop and everything he has to say will be reported out.   Why would anyone want to pay to hear him after that.   I'd think even the Leghumpers would be a little hesitant about supporting a multi-city/venue tour.  At least I hope so.

My guess is the only way for him to make money is a book--and not a book about his redemption, but a tell all with all the details on JB and DQ

JOSH HAS BEEN SPOTTED! FIRST SIGHTING! David and Priscilla were out shopping at a furniture store in Arkansas with Josh and Anna according to ET. ET has confirmed it. https://www.yahoo.com/tv/josh-anna-duggar-furniture-shopping-183800809.html

16 minutes ago, Mothership said:

I don't see how a speaking tour could be profitable.   One stop and everything he has to say will be reported out.   Why would anyone want to pay to hear him after that.   I'd think even the Leghumpers would be a little hesitant about supporting a multi-city/venue tour.  At least I hope so.

My guess is the only way for him to make money is a book--and not a book about his redemption, but a tell all with all the details on JB and DQ

Well, if he would indeed leave the cult, then I can also see a speaking tour. But not as "repentant" sinner, but as a cult survivor teling and warning people how wicked the Gothard cult is. He could show first hand how his fundie upbringing basically ruined his life. Not that it would be an excuse for his crimes, but at least, it would expose J'Chelle and Boob as the lousy parents they really are, and maybe save some families from falling into the Gothard/ATI/IBLP trap.

• Criscat locked this topic

Archived