IGNORED

Sierra Jo Dominguez Abysmal Wedding Planner Part 3

Boogalou

I understand how the thread drifted here, but isn't it time for it to drift back somewhere else? Ick! :puke-front:

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mom kept my hair short as a kid, not that she was ever really involved with me much anyway but she said it was "easier".  I grew it out once I left and got emancipated so my senior pics have this long-ish (below my shoulder blade) blonde, naturally wavy/curly look to them.  I've changed colors more times than I care to lament, I had turquoise streaks in the front at one point. Its usually dark dark auburn, but I'm going through a chestnut brown phase at the moment. Hubby always swore he'd buzz his head if I ever went back to short hair so when we split for awhile I took it to above my shoulders and dyed it black. LOVED the look on his face!

The hard thing with me is that being hypothyroid, my hair falls out alot. Thankfully I have some reasonable volume to it so its not that noticeable. And it doesn't matter how much I trim  or use good shampoo/condition the ends are really brittle and dry. Its almost always up in an alligator clip or braided.

Finally caught up with this thread. Hew!

I've looked at pictures from Sierra's wedding from her fb and it's definitely,...um,  the definition of 'Buy Used, Save the Difference'.

Really guys, at first I thought it just her playing dress-up in some outdated dress she found somewhere. Couldn't believe it was actually a wedding. Based on this, we couldn't expect too much from her wedding planning. 

9 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Finally caught up with this thread. Hew!

I've looked at pictures from Sierra's wedding from her fb and it's definitely,...um,  the definition of 'Buy Used, Save the Difference'.

Really guys, at first I thought it just her playing dress-up in some outdated dress she found somewhere. Couldn't believe it was actually a wedding. Based on this, we couldn't expect too much from her wedding planning. 

To be fair, she was 18 and it was very much a whirlwind, quickie, on-the-cheap wedding. I think she herself acknowledged that she didn't plan it very well. I'll give her a pass, though I do find it pretty jarring that just a few years ago, she was happily frolicking in strapless dresses and showing way more than her knees. I don't know much about Mark, but it seems like he was a stabilizing influence for her, but I worry that he might have been the one to edge/pressure her towards full-on fundie.

I got married at 22 and my wedding was pretty poor, poorIy planned and poorly executed - I had no guidance. I don't regret it for one second and still believe that money spent on a wedding can be used better somewhere else. I'm still married 16 years later and don't envision a separation ever. The wedding was just a day and the 16 years after it have been wonderful, better than my wedding day and I like to think that my tastes and styles have got better as I've aged and finances have improved but I'm still stubbourn enough to do things exactly the way I want to and not how other people think it should be.

On 5/6/2016 at 10:10 AM, Shadoewolf said:

My mom kept my hair short as a kid, not that she was ever really involved with me much anyway but she said it was "easier".  I grew it out once I left and got emancipated so my senior pics have this long-ish (below my shoulder blade) blonde, naturally wavy/curly look to them.  I've changed colors more times than I care to lament, I had turquoise streaks in the front at one point. Its usually dark dark auburn, but I'm going through a chestnut brown phase at the moment. Hubby always swore he'd buzz his head if I ever went back to short hair so when we split for awhile I took it to above my shoulders and dyed it black. LOVED the look on his face!

The hard thing with me is that being hypothyroid, my hair falls out alot. Thankfully I have some reasonable volume to it so its not that noticeable. And it doesn't matter how much I trim  or use good shampoo/condition the ends are really brittle and dry. Its almost always up in an alligator clip or braided.

Take those hair skin nails supplements that you can get at any drugstore/Target/etc.  They really work.

Can't speak for the thyroid issue but they thickened my hair.

Sierra's mother day shout out was sweet until she called a foster child "broken".  

No, Sierrra they aren't broken, they are kids who are shuffled from place to place with ever dwindling stuff (either being stolen or having to get rid of) shipped off the possibly unstable foster parents who think they a gift from god. 

23 hours ago, Darwinesque said:

I got married at 22 and my wedding was pretty poor, poorIy planned and poorly executed - I had no guidance. I don't regret it for one second and still believe that money spent on a wedding can be used better somewhere else. I'm still married 16 years later and don't envision a separation ever. The wedding was just a day and the 16 years after it have been wonderful, better than my wedding day and I like to think that my tastes and styles have got better as I've aged and finances have improved but I'm still stubbourn enough to do things exactly the way I want to and not how other people think it should be.

Weddings are less important than the marriage.

I won't lie, I'm single AF and have a very extensive Pinterest board for my dream wedding (it helps take my mind off the inevitability of dying alone), but I do think it's disturbing and annoying that people focus so much on having a wedding so perfect that Kate Middleton would go "damn, you beat me", to the point where people practically bankrupt themselves on a single day when they have a whole lifetime ahead of them. It's nice to have a nice party, but that party shouldn't be the be-all and end-all. I'm reminded of what my rabbi said when I was 13: a little less focus on the Bat (the girl) and a little more focus on the Mitzvah (the commandments and guidelines of the Torah/Jewish life).

13 hours ago, Wenny said:

Sierra's mother day shout out was sweet until she called a foster child "broken".  

No, Sierrra they aren't broken, they are kids who are shuffled from place to place with ever dwindling stuff (either being stolen or having to get rid of) shipped off the possibly unstable foster parents who think they a gift from god. 

Every time Sierra opens her mouth/writes, more crap seems to come out of it. I know someone who was shifted from pillar to post in the foster care system and they're hardly broken. They're making a life for themselves. They've had issues from the crap parenting from their birth parents and moving around so much, but they've turned it all around.

Then again, I wouldn't expect Sierra to understand.

On 5/8/2016 at 4:02 PM, Darwinesque said:

It truly is just one day that goes by so fast. We married at age 20 and I had no help from my family. I was 19 and trying to plan everything while working two jobs and going to school full-time, and of course my 20 year old male fiance was pretty useless with wedding planning. My sisters created unnecessary drama because they couldn't put aside their own selfish feelings to stand there for me on one freaking day. Still not sure how I managed to pull off a halfway decent wedding and reception, but if I could re-do it all, I would scrap the entire thing. It would just be me and my husband on a beach somewhere and all that money would be in a savings account. Oh well, 5 years later we are still happily married. 

I was just thinking, what would Sierra think if she saw this thread and its title? And then I thought about how Joey Tribbiani thought "abysmal" meant "outstanding." Sierra probably does too. :my_biggrin:

The bridal industry really does young people a disservice.  All the money spent on engagement rings and weddings could be used to start their lives.  

58 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

The bridal industry really does young people a disservice.  All the money spent on engagement rings and weddings could be used to start their lives.

I agree and thought I'd add a quick note.  One of my daughter's best friends is on an upcoming episode of "Say Yes to the Dress."  I've never seen it, but plan to watch since Esmerelda* is featured.  Apparently, the segment is pretty much all fake.**  Esmerelda quotes a price she plans to spend on a dress (when in reality, she doesn't have that kind of money).  Lots of giggly scenes featuring the guys she brought to the bridal shop per the promo.  TLC paid all the expenses to fly her and the guys back and forth, plus gave her the wedding dress all nicely fitted.  I hope young women watching this don't believe Esmerelda really planned to fork over all that money.  Her wedding will be nice, but modest and within their budget.  I'll look forward to watching as entertainment and not reality.

*the names have been changed, etc.

**I know, I know, everybody already knew this except me.

16 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I agree and thought I'd add a quick note.  One of my daughter's best friends is on an upcoming episode of "Say Yes to the Dress."  I've never seen it, but plan to watch since Esmerelda* is featured.  Apparently, the segment is pretty much all fake.**  Esmerelda quotes a price she plans to spend on a dress (when in reality, she doesn't have that kind of money).  Lots of giggly scenes featuring the guys she brought to the bridal shop per the promo.  TLC paid all the expenses to fly her and the guys back and forth, plus gave her the wedding dress all nicely fitted.  I hope young women watching this don't believe Esmerelda really planned to fork over all that money.  Her wedding will be nice, but modest and within their budget.  I'll look forward to watching as entertainment and not reality.

*the names have been changed, etc.

**I know, I know, everybody already knew this except me.

So TLC gives an expensive dress for free? That's a pretty sweet deal! Or have I misunderstood? 

49 minutes ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

So TLC gives an expensive dress for free? That's a pretty sweet deal! Or have I misunderstood? 

Not for free. They pay the dress but they obtain a TV programme. It's probably cheaper than paying an actress.

2 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

According to Esmerelda, they had her quote a budget for the dress on film, but the dress she picked out was given to her after fitting, etc., for free.   TLC apparently doesn't tell the viewers that the dress is included as payment for filming the episode, but at least in Esmerelda's case that is what happened.  I've only seen the one episode (and that's enough for me, lol), so I may have not understood the premise of the series.  That's pretty much all I know.

Saw this and thought of Sierra and her flamingo antics. :my_biggrin:

13217501_1211745768858510_4133877431084545676_o.jpg

15 hours ago, choralcrusader8613 said:

Saw this and thought of Sierra and her flamingo antics. :my_biggrin:

13217501_1211745768858510_4133877431084545676_o.jpg

But were half of them blue so you'd know they were boys?

17 minutes ago, JillyO said:

But were half of them blue so you'd know they were boys?

I guess they didn't get the memo.

On May 13, 2016 at 3:14 PM, QuiverDance said:

My husband (feels weird to type that) and I just eloped this past week for this very reason, and I'm happy to say: no regrets. 

Also, I never knew that about Say Yes to the Dress! Interesting. It makes sense to me. I do always love to gawk at the women spending 10,000+ dollars on a dres, though. I'd end up spilling something on it before the fitting was even over.

My wedding was very cheap & thrown together, I was 20. The entire wedding, food, venue, clothes, favors, etc. cost about 2,000$ with our biggest expense being food & drinks. We had a million dollar venue we got for free ;) gotta love public beaches lol

beach wedding.jpg

The best weddings I've been to are budget ones - it's like one giant party!!

I have a radically Hillsong Christian couple getting married in November (they are rather poor and do use the theory of oh well, God will provide) however if they ask for help like they did with their engagement party (which I think they will); it'll be a great wedding!

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 5:02 PM, Darwinesque said:

I got married for the first time 16 years ago this summer.  The wedding was expensive (300 people, hall, open bar for the non-fundie-lite) and poorly executed since it never should have happened in the first place.  Four years later I married my forever husband.  We had just bought a house that had a small backyard and no furniture.  We rented some chairs and dishes, had the wedding catered from the local pub and people also brought pot-luck dishes and did all of this our way in our own home with close friends and family.  It cost about 2 thousand dollars was elegant, unique and intimate.  I was so relaxed that day while I got dressed in my own bedroom and my beloved (male) cousin (RIP) did my makeup.  People said it was one of the best weddings they had ever been to.  I was also 8 months pregnant and wore a white lace dress to just above the knee.  I wish I had also worn Nancy Sinatra white go go boots now that I think about it.

@19Kittens, that is a gorgeous photo!

I don't want to poke fun at Sierra's wedding because I know not everyone can afford that huge, million dollar wedding. Even couples who are saving have to cut corners in some places, like the dress or shoes or venue. I've seen lots of young couples get married in a church and have a quick reception in the basement or outside where they can afford it. It does seem worth it to save the cash for the honeymoon or starting your new home together. 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived