IGNORED

Priss and Pecan: Texas Gleanin' - Part 2

Boogalou

2 hours ago, Loveday said:

As is so often the case, I'm late to this, but I just took the test and it nailed me precisely. Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Chesapeake, VA. The giveaway was the fact that we call drive-through beer stores 'brew-thru's' here. Apparently nowhere else in the country calls them that! :lol:

Same story in Wisconsin, which is apparently the only spot on earth that refers to drinking fountains as "bubblers."

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NeverAFundie said:

Same story in Wisconsin, which is apparently the only spot on earth that refers to drinking fountains as "bubblers."

When I was a kid in the '50s (here in Connecticut) the school drinking fountains had labels on them saying "Do not put your mouth on the bubbler." I thought the "bubbler" was the part of the drinking fountain where the water came out.

When I moved here almost 5 years ago and put my then-15-month-old son in day care, I spent an entire year thinking that he was talking about drinking soda when he referred to getting a Bubble Drink.  He meant a drink from the bubbler.

13 minutes ago, NeverAFundie said:

And the NY metro area, which uses the term "sneakers".

2 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

We do here in Connecticut, too.

7 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Although the term for those shoes growing up in Iowa and Nebraska was "tennis shoes," I had at least HEARD of the term sneakers.  But Bubbler?  I was a 37-year old woman who had literally only moved about 60 miles away, and had absolutely no idea what the hell that word was.

47 minutes ago, NeverAFundie said:

Although the term for those shoes growing up in Iowa and Nebraska was "tennis shoes," I had at least HEARD of the term sneakers.  But Bubbler?  I was a 37-year old woman who had literally only moved about 60 miles away, and had absolutely no idea what the hell that word was.

I think tennis shoes may be a MidWest thing.  My parents grew up in Illinois and still refer to them as that to this day

2 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

I think tennis shoes may be a MidWest thing.  My parents grew up in Illinois and still refer to them as that to this day

That's what we call them in Kentucky.  Never heard of the Bubbler, it's a water fountain.  A water fountain outside is simply a fountain.  lol

6 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

My family is mostly in Kansas and Nebraska, and we call them tennis shoes.

That quiz was freakishly accurate. It placed my dialect to the exact town I grew up in. It's not a big town...kinda creepy. 

Just now, Shiny said:

That quiz was freakishly accurate. It placed my dialect to the exact town I grew up in. It's not a big town...kinda creepy. 

It placed mine where I was born in (the closest big city), since the town I grew up in is tiny. I was impressed!

I apparently have such a distinct dialect that it crashes the quiz.  I've taken it on 3 different browsers (IE, GoogleChrome & Safari) and it does nothing.  I answer all 25 questions and then it says an error occurred and it can't display the map.  :confused2:

I got the error page as well after doing the test, don't think it recognised Scottish lol.

A bubbler to me is someone who cries a lot and sneakers are trainers here.

When I took the quiz the third time, I answered "bubbler" on the water fountain question and partly because of that answer, it pegged me as being from Providence, Rhode Island.  When I asks about what you'd call a carbonated drink, soda and pop are both among the choices, but tonic is not.  Tonic is very New England.

When I was little, we called sneakers/tennis shoes/plimsolls/trainers, "tennie" shoes or tennies.  I think originally it was just slurred speech.

I'm British, I got New Jersey/New York City/Connecticut.  Many of my answers were along the lines of "Whatcha on about?"

On March 22, 2016 at 5:33 PM, CreationMuseumCurator said:

It placed mine where I was born in (the closest big city), since the town I grew up in is tiny. I was impressed!

It places mine in a state I have occasionally driven through without stopping.

Bahaha on the drive thru liquor store question I answered "I've never heard of such a thing."  We have government run liquor stores here - they're great - and I don't think a drive thru option would be viewed favourably...

Am I the only person who uses both "tennis shoes" and "sneakers" but does NOT use them interchangeably? 

To me, these are tennis shoes:

shoes_if55925.jpg?preset=details

And these are sneakers: 

SHOES_IL10175.JPG?preset=details

I may have made this distinction up completely on my own; I'm really not sure.

2 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Bahaha on the drive thru liquor store question I answered "I've never heard of such a thing."  We have government run liquor stores here - they're great - and I don't think a drive thru option would be viewed favourably...

We have drive thru liquor stores were I come from. We just call them "drive thru liquor stores". :) 

I've never heard of a government run liquor store. I wonder how that compares to civilian owned one here in the states. (I'm assuming you aren't from the US, because of the "u" in favorably. :) ) 

22 minutes ago, libriatrix said:

Am I the only person who uses both "tennis shoes" and "sneakers" but does NOT use them interchangeably? 

To me, these are tennis shoes:

shoes_if55925.jpg?preset=details

And these are sneakers: 

SHOES_IL10175.JPG?preset=details

I may have made this distinction up completely on my own; I'm really not sure.

Not made up. Those are the correct terms for those things. I believe they became interchangeable when tennis players started wearing sneakers. I also love the British "sand shoes" for the first one.

1 hour ago, daisyd681 said:

Not made up. Those are the correct terms for those things.

Phew. I am glad for the vindication.

After doing that quiz and seeing the discussion here it makes me realise that if it was an Australian based one and people from overseas took it, they would probably have very little clue what everything meant.

Btw, here we call a liquor store a Bottle Shop and a drive thru a Bottle-o.

Gotta love 'straya.

I love reading what different areas call different things, I'm irish and just back from spending a month in Texas with my fiance, the look of confusion on his and his familys face when I called the trunk of the car the boot and a few other random things by what we call them was priceless....We went to see his brother near tyler and drove by the sign for big sandy , I had to explain why I got all excited, I think my future step son thinks im nuts:my_angel:

On 3/22/2016 at 3:29 PM, NeverAFundie said:

I'm a Nebraska/Iowa person too. I have always said tennis shoes. "Sneakers" is one of those words I can't stand hearing. (Slacks is another one I can't handle. But only when it's in reference to pants.)

Apparently I'm the only person who says "beltway."

One city they gave me is about and hour and a half from where I grew up/live. The other two aren't very close at all.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived