IGNORED

Priss and Pecan: Texas Gleanin' - Part 2

Boogalou

I think it's just that their faces all reflect the joy of the Lord.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've read that people tend to be attracted to people who look like themselves. Personally, I feel like it's the opposite for me, but now I'm thinking of all the people I find attractive who do somewhat look like me, so who knows. Interestingly, marriages between third cousins tend to produce more children and grandchildren than marriages between unrelated people, so it seems like there's some kind of evolutionary "sweet spot" where couples are somewhat related but not related too closely.

I admit that I do find it kind of weird when couples look like they could be siblings. In my high school orchestra there were two people, a boy and a girl, who looked a lot alike, and since they always shared transportation I assumed they were siblings.  Then one day I saw them making out. Obviously they were boyfriend and girlfriend, not brother and sister, but I spent so long thinking they were siblings that I felt really uncomfortable seeing them together as a couple.

1 hour ago, ILoveJellybeans said:

David and Priscilla look so alike. They could easily be brother and sister. Its so weird.

Yes, eerily so. 

4 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Some people just wanna marry themselves.

When people you annoy with your tract distribution activities say "go fuck yourself" enough times, you wonder if you should take their advice.

Though I've seen similar-looking non-fundie couples; two very dear friends of mine have been dating for six years, and they look really similar to each other: blond curly hair, moderately tall (though very different body types), light eyes, similar skin tone. We say that they're Doppelbangers.

It's a thing, to both be attracted to someone who looks similar to you, and to also grow to look like your spouse over time. Hubs and I watched some show on Netflix, discovery/tlc our something about it. I don't remember all the details of the show, but I remember going through all the couples we could think of and most did look similar, similar height, build, hair color, etc. There were a few exceptions, but far more who similar. 

You know, Mr Pianokeeper and I have very different builds and facial features, but our coloring is very similar (and, without going into too much detail, a little unusual in the general population). Never really thought about it before!

I generally go for blonde and blue/green eyed men, which is not similar to my natural coloring at all.

However, I am the only member of my generation on EITHER side of the family to NOT have blonde hair and blue/green eyes.  So I go for men who look similar to my extended family....just not me!

When I realized how much Anna Duggar resembled the J'sisters, it was more than a little creepy. 

2 hours ago, Howl said:

When I realized how much Anna Duggar resembled the J'sisters, it was more than a little creepy. 

Yup, that part of things all makes since now that we know about Joshy *shudders*

Still fairly new here and just wondering if someone could tell me where FJ got the name Pecan from when referring to David Waller?

Friendly reminder: Not that anyone has done this- so this is pre-emptive-, but please bear in mind that we do not speculate on the identities of Josh's unnamed victims. Please keep it that way. Thank you for understanding.

I know it hasn't happened yet in this thread but I'm just hoping people don't delve back into speculation about Josh's victims or the nature of the abuse, cause it definitely feels like the topic is veering in an icky direction...

18 minutes ago, Jessie E said:

Still fairly new here and just wondering if someone could tell me where FJ got the name Pecan from when referring to David Waller?

David Waller walked through a pecan plantation and thought it was okay to "glean" the pecans on the ground. Police was called on him for theft. That's the short of it. :)

5 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

David Waller walked through a pecan plantation and thought it was okay to "glean" the pecans on the ground. Police was called on him for theft. That's the short of it. :)

Thank you for explaining that one! I found the truly heart felt story on their site.  Oh how it brought a tear to my eye! lol

13 minutes ago, December said:

I know it hasn't happened yet in this thread but I'm just hoping people don't delve back into speculation about Josh's victims or the nature of the abuse, cause it definitely feels like the topic is veering in an icky direction...

I apologize, That is definitely not my intention with this thread!

1 hour ago, Jessie E said:

Thank you for explaining that one! I found the truly heart felt story on their site.  Oh how it brought a tear to my eye! lol

Find the thread here.  Its much better when you can see all of his edits

Here's some more entries for the "Honey, I've Married Myself" fundy role-call:

Tayte and Martha (Morton) Alexander. Tayte and Martha have different smiles, but remarkably similar features in most other respects. This is interesting from an observational standpoint, because the Morton clan are known for their marriages to small, dark-haired mates. Dorothy and Martha are the only two members of the family (so far) who have married spouses that aren't dark-eyed brunettes. Tayte could easily pass for one of Martha's brothers.

funmt.jpg

In corner #2, we have Jim and Bobye Holt. These two may as well be fraternal twins. Same face shape, same squinty stare, same slightly feral smile complete with similar teeth. They share a nose shape, hair color, and an apparent love of vented hair brushes. Except for Bobye's pearls, they're even wearing the same damned thing.funjb.jpg

Apparently we're hard-wired to think people whose facial features match our own more trustworthy and people who look different from ourselves more sexually attractive.

It would make sense for fundies to repress any sexual thoughts and go for trustworthiness instead. I wouldn't read too much into that though - fundy or not I don't think a partner's facial features are that important.

Fundies in general tend to look alike because they have a sort of uniform -- specific acceptable hairstyles for men and women, acceptable makeup styles for women, specific clothing styles. It's not surprising some of the couples look alike. 

Mr. Polecat and I are almost complete opposites. He is extremely tall, olive skinned, jet-black hair, brown eyes. I'm slightly taller than average, freakishly fair, blue eyed, blonde haired. Our facial features are completely dissimilar, too. I don't think we're going to start looking alike any time soon unless I suddenly get taller or darker or he suddenly starts shrinking and getting pale (although he is getting gray in a really sexy way).

I noticed this a couple of years ago when visiting my brother and his girlfriend. M's got ginger hair, and his girlfriend C has the exact same hair colour. I've got black hair. When the three of us went out, we bumped into a bloke M works with who had never met either of us women and assumed M and C were the siblings and I was his girlfriend. That was weird!

How do you pronounce Bobye? I'm hard-wired to read it like Bob-yay. Like if Bob Barker and Kanye West became a power couple.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived