IGNORED

Priss and Pecan: Texas Gleanin' - Part 2

Boogalou

3 hours ago, Funwithfundies said:

I just took the dialect quiz - it practically located me right down to my town.  :my_smile:

I had me as Singaporean.  I'm a Scot currently living in the US.  I've never even been near Singapore.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from Australia and my dialect returned: San Fransisco, Oceanside & Detroit. [emoji23]

3 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Paul and Davia are about 20 months apart.  If Priscilla has the baby this summer, it will be about the same gap.  Another bundle of total cuteness, I'm sure.

I think the new baby is due in October and Davia will be 2 in November. So her spacing is starting to look a lot like Anna's. 

58 minutes ago, actuallyjessica said:

I'm from Australia and my dialect returned: San Fransisco, Oceanside & Detroit. emoji23.png

Just out of curiosity - since I now know how everyone on FJ speaks :my_shy: - where is this dialect quiz/test and why is everyone taking it and posting results?

(granted ... when i'm stressed, taking quizzes on buzzfeed about what disney character/book character/tv character etc. i would be is my go to destresser. for "some reason" i always get the answer that's about taking care of children ... wendy from peter pan, mary poppins etc. *sigh*. even buzzfeed can tell what was ingrained in me starting when i was three and then fully driven in by seven. i keep hoping someday i'll be identified as being good at something besides raising children ... yup, by buzzfeed. holy fuck, that's one low bar ... :my_confused:)

ps - i finally figured out emoticons :Yes:

3 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Good grief!  What a maroon!  Why assume that some fossils you find in your yard are from the Deluge? And why would it be weird to find fossils from the "Flood" in your yard if this flood covered the entire earth?  What kind of fossil "expert" can proclaim that these fossils are from the flood anyway?  Not a fossil expert I'd trust, that's for damn sure!   It's too bad that this guy who was so interested in dinosaurs as a kid didn't become interested in actual paleontology as an adult.

My mom found some similar fossils when she was a student at Berea.  She never thought they were from the flood and never taught us to think so either.  They weren't snails btw.  

Yes, I love the title "self-proclaimed fossil expert." Sure, Texas was covered in water....like 265 million years ago. And that's not exactly the time line the creationists seem to follow...

5 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

No news really.to bump this with, just thought I'd pass.on the wonders in East Texas scientific thought.... (good lord how the hell did a reputable news outlet like wfaa carry this drivel??!)

http://www.wfaa.com/mb/news/local/texas-news/tyler-man-says-he-found-fossils-from-noahs-flood/85789428

He [Propst] called up self-proclaimed fossil expert Joe Taylor, who confirmed that what Propst found is in fact from the time of Noah’s ark and he says finding those fossils in Tyler is rare.

Self-proclaimed fossil expert Joe Taylor is the guy who tussled with Doug Phillips over an allosaur dinosaur skeleton and reaped considerable legal troubles for pointing out inconsistencies in Vision Forum's crock-umentary Raising the Allosaur. http://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2014/07/17/the-skeletons-in-doug-phillipss-closet-are-now-in-the-creation-museum-literally/

It sounds like a favorable legal settlement was reached with Vision Forum/Doug Phillips, but Joe Taylor kept trying to explain himself after he'd agreed to a "no disparagement" agreement.  Jen's Gems and TW Eston were all over this like flies on stink. 

The allosaur skeleton has ultimately ended up in Ken Ham's  Creation "museum". 

And no, there is no end to the ignorance and crazy in East Texas.  It's a bottomless pit. 

The dialect quiz was posted toward the end of the previous thread. You can find the link to the previous thread in the first post of this thread. ;)

5 hours ago, docmom said:

I had me as Singaporean.  I'm a Scot currently living in the US.  I've never even been near Singapore.

Ha, that's curious! The Singaporean accent is very unusual, and has a lot of British Isles influence; hard to describe but it's one of the more puzzling accents I've come across, so I could see the Scots-US blend confusing it a little! 

I often get asked about my accent, but I grew up in Michigan, one of the blander, more dialect-less places even within the context of generally uninteresting Midwestern speech patterns. I've had it postulated by friends that my odd cadence comes from having been homeschooled; I've also been told my inflection and vocabulary are more like reading a book than normal speech, haha. I bet that would really confuse it!

4 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

Yes, I love the title "self-proclaimed fossil expert." Sure, Texas was covered in water....like 265 million years ago. And that's not exactly the time line the creationists seem to follow...

HFS, it's like reading the Onion, looking at that article.  HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO STUPID!?????

2 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

HFS, it's like reading the Onion, looking at that article.  HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO STUPID!?????

It's a special form of carefully cultivated ignorance endemic to certain parts of East Texas my state our country.  Tyler, TX is not that far from the current Church of Wells location.  Tyler is 28 miles from Big Sandy.  

Joe Taylor lives west of Lubbock, in the Texas panhandle. 

Remember how a lot of us were surprised he put her name on the title?  I fond out many places require that the names of both spouses go on the title.  So he might not have had a choice.

That quiz could not handle my accent either. Came up with an error message. That's fair enough though, I'm not from the US.

I'm from Southern Ontario and have spent a good amount of time in Niagara Region specifically.  Quiz guessed Buffalo - as close as it could get!  Pretty impressive! 

On 3/17/2016 at 8:35 AM, imokit said:

Have we spoken about how she's expecting again.  Paul just turned 3, so it seems like Priscilla is spacing them pretty regular at 18months apart.

I do like how positive they were about Suze and Noelle though.  They didn't have to include them, but it was nice they did.

It was mentioned earlier. She's due in October. This one will be almost exactly 2 years younger than Davia. Davia is actually 20 months younger Paul. Priscilla's following Anna's pattern pretty closely, so I'm guessing #4 will be in November or December of 2018. 

8 hours ago, jas said:

That quiz could not handle my accent either. Came up with an error message. That's fair enough though, I'm not from the US.

Had the same problem with a error message, but I'm from NY :)

On March 17, 2016 at 2:14 PM, colors_outside15 said:

Just out of curiosity - since I now know how everyone on FJ speaks :my_shy: - where is this dialect quiz/test and why is everyone taking it and posting results?

(granted ... when i'm stressed, taking quizzes on buzzfeed about what disney character/book character/tv character etc. i would be is my go to destresser. for "some reason" i always get the answer that's about taking care of children ... wendy from peter pan, mary poppins etc. *sigh*. even buzzfeed can tell what was ingrained in me starting when i was three and then fully driven in by seven. i keep hoping someday i'll be identified as being good at something besides raising children ... yup, by buzzfeed. holy fuck, that's one low bar ... :my_confused:)

ps - i finally figured out emoticons :Yes:

You've probably found it already, but it's the New York Times' dialect quiz.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

i just took the test, and it pegged me for Fresno CA, Salt Lake City, and Rochester NY.  Rochester is very close to where i live now, but i probably confused it a little since i grew up in NY, MA, ME, VT, and a short stint in central CA (near Fresno, and i've never lived in UT).  i recognized a few answers as being very common to western NY, but i didn't select them because they're not what i'm accustomed to using.  still very interesting.

I took the test again, changing all my answers, and was placed in Providence, Rhode Island and Worcester, Massachusetts.  I'll take it!

On 3/17/2016 at 2:40 PM, Howl said:

Self-proclaimed fossil expert Joe Taylor is the guy who tussled with Doug Phillips over an allosaur dinosaur skeleton and reaped considerable legal troubles for pointing out inconsistencies in Vision Forum's crock-umentary Raising the Allosaur. http://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2014/07/17/the-skeletons-in-doug-phillipss-closet-are-now-in-the-creation-museum-literally/

It sounds like a favorable legal settlement was reached with Vision Forum/Doug Phillips, but Joe Taylor kept trying to explain himself after he'd agreed to a "no disparagement" agreement.  Jen's Gems and TW Eston were all over this like flies on stink. 

The allosaur skeleton has ultimately ended up in Ken Ham's  Creation "museum". 

And no, there is no end to the ignorance and crazy in East Texas.  It's a bottomless pit. 

@happy atheist "Self-proclaimed Fossil Expert" might be a pretty good title count!

:cool: "Self-Proclaimed Fossil Expert" is our newest post count title! :face_dragon: <--- the closest I could find to a dinosaur

On 3/20/2016 at 7:24 PM, withaj said:

You've probably found it already, but it's the New York Times' dialect quiz.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html

As is so often the case, I'm late to this, but I just took the test and it nailed me precisely. Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Chesapeake, VA. The giveaway was the fact that we call drive-through beer stores 'brew-thru's' here. Apparently nowhere else in the country calls them that! :lol:

Apparently, I am from Detroit.... Well, I grew up in Europe, learned BritishEnglish in school and moved to Canada 15 years ago...

51 minutes ago, Loveday said:

As is so often the case, I'm late to this, but I just took the test and it nailed me precisely. Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Chesapeake, VA. The giveaway was the fact that we call drive-through beer stores 'brew-thru's' here. Apparently nowhere else in the country calls them that! :lol:

Ha! Yeah, it was spot on for me, too.

We don't have drive-thru alcohol stores in South Carolina,  but I discovered they existed when my sister and I made the long  drive to Texas when she moved. So funny.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived