IGNORED

Woman smuggles adoptive kid in carryon luggage - this has to be someone who has been on FJ!

katilac

:wow: That is GRADE A crazy!!!! 

Whenever my friends travel to someplace cool I always joke with them to put me in their carry on, I never thought in a million years someone would actually put a human being in a carry on bag. 

People are nuts!!!

I don't think she would have been on here as she's a resident of France, and I don't think we have any french fundies.

How disgusting to put the child in a bag like that,  Although I guess it's better than having her placed in the cargo hold with all the noise and temperatures, but still...what kind of person would even think of doing that?

HOW did the kid not get X-rayed in security? Unless the security in Haitian airports is non-existent?

6 minutes ago, Peas n carrots said:

HOW did the kid not get X-rayed in security? Unless the security in Haitian airports is non-existent?

No, they have airport x-ray machines in Haiti. Obviously not every rural airstrip has one, but to get out of the country she would presumably have had to use one of the major airports and her luggage should have been checked. 

I'm also puzzled by why she was coming from Istanbul? Turkey seems like an odd place for a connecting flight between Haiti and France.

The logistics of this are confusing me. 

How could anyone think you'd have a greater chance trafficking a child through airport-security in a carry-on case than by just buying it a ticket and getting it a passport? 
I know nothing about obtaining a passport in Haiti, but I'd think you'd have a greater chance actually getting your hands on even a forged one, than you'd have getting a child on a plane like that! 

My grandparents used to smuggle their miniature poodle onto public transit in a carry-on bag...he seemed to quite enjoy it. Obviously not the same thing as lugging a human child through the airport in a bag. That is some next-level crazy shit, and also probably traumatizing for the kid.

My grandparents used to smuggle their miniature poodle onto public transit in a carry-on bag...he seemed to quite enjoy it. Obviously not the same thing as lugging a human child through the airport in a bag. That is some next-level crazy shit, and also probably traumatizing for the kid.

That, and how did she keep a toddler quiet? The kid must have been knocked out.

Istanbul is a weird place to connect - I would have assumed there would be direct flights between Haiti and France?

I saw this on my sidebar in Facebook, and immediately thought 'This will be covered on FJ'

and I WAS RIGHT!

More seriously, what exactly was her thought process here?  I just....can't imagine a point where I, or anyone I know, would put a child in a bag...I'm at a loss.

:huh:

This does remind me of the time my mother smuggled our Bichon into a no-pets hotel in her purse. Except eleventy times worse because it is a HUMAN and an AIRPLANE.

How did she manage to get a toddler into a bag and then get that bag through airport security? Toddlers make noise, especially when you stuff them into a bag.

Why would anyone think it is a good idea to stuff their child into their luggage instead of buy them a ticket, and think they would get away with it. Don't they realise that the reason most people would try that is for human trafficking reasons-they probably thought she was trying to kidnap the kid.

I don't think she deserves to keep the kid. If she has in fact legally adopted the kid, who has a passport and the paperwork filled out to bring her home, she has already proven herself to be an unfit parent.

I don't think this is all that rare, actually. A google search yielded over 643,000 results- with photos! Eek! 

Horrible, though. She should definitely be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and absolutely prohibited from any adoptions and from keeping this child. 

11 hours ago, bea said:

Oh my GOD. That is weapons-grade crazy.

Just because....  @happy atheist because around here that might just make an awesome post count title.

1 hour ago, ILoveJellybeans said:

How did she manage to get a toddler into a bag and then get that bag through airport security? Toddlers make noise, especially when you stuff them into a bag.

Why would anyone think it is a good idea to stuff their child into their luggage instead of buy them a ticket, and think they would get away with it. Don't they realise that the reason most people would try that is for human trafficking reasons-they probably thought she was trying to kidnap the kid.

I don't think she deserves to keep the kid. If she has in fact legally adopted the kid, who has a passport and the paperwork filled out to bring her home, she has already proven herself to be an unfit parent.

I wouldn't be surprised if she gave the kid some kind of drug or medication that would make him or her sleepy. Horrible story.

24 minutes ago, Clementine said:

I wouldn't be surprised if she gave the kid some kind of drug or medication that would make him or her sleepy. Horrible story.

We used to give our dogs Acepromazine... 

ETA: This might not be recommended anymore but it's what we were prescribed for the dogs in the 90s when we had to fly them across the country.

5 hours ago, Peas n carrots said:

Istanbul is a weird place to connect - I would have assumed there would be direct flights between Haiti and France?

I did a search out of curiosity, and all the flights I found connected at various airports in the eastern United States. I'm fairly sure this is because of the fuel requirements to cross the Atlantic, that they need to take people to the US to put them on a larger plane before the next leg.

That being the case, I can't fathom why an airline would send her as far as Istanbul in completely the wrong direction as an unnecessary stopover in an additional country, or why she would choose that connection even if it was available when I got pages and pages of more direct options with a very quick search.

That makes me think she was deliberately covering her tracks by adding a out of the way city to her itinerary to make her point of origin less clear to officials. As if her behavior wasn't shady enough already, that's got to be premeditated. I don't think this happened on a whim, or that she saw a kid in trouble and made a bad impulse decision of what to do. I think she has to have had a plan.

Archived