IGNORED

JD Robb-- Almost the Future

EmCatlyn

@sawasdee  Here is the Robb thread. :wink-kitty:

For those who are not familiar with the series, JD Robb's "In Death" series is set in the future (2058-61, so far, I believe.). It has a very sexy female detective (a NYC cop) named Eve Dallas and the man in her life, Roarke, who is gorgeous, rich, Irish, gorgeous, rich... Did I mention gorgeous?  The author is actually Nora Roberts, well-known romance writer.  I don't care for any romances except Georgette Heyer historicals, but I love JD Robb.

What I enjoy most is the combination of witty conversation with a certain degree of psychological exploration and crime (think Law and Order SVU and Criminal Minds).

But since FJ is a snark site, I am going to snark at the problem that our real history is making the "backstory" of the series a little out of date.  When the series debuted in 1994 or so, we did not have a lot of the technology we have now, and Robb's "futuristic" technology from 1995 is a little out of date in 2016.  Also, I just noticed that the "Urban Wars," that supposedly happen 2015-25 or so, don't seem to be in progress. ;)  Then there is the comforting thought that inflation will slow down and a million dollars in 2050 will still be a substantial amount.

In other respects, I like the novel's creation of an imaginary future.  I like the cars that can leap up vertically in a traffic jam, and the auto-chef seems an excellent idea (I am not sure if it can make latte's though.).  Legalized prostitution makes sense, but why zoner (pot) is still illegal baffles me. (I don't indulge in cannabis myself, but support its legalization for others.

So, any Robb fans out there want to speak of the fascinating world of Dallas and Roarke?

I agree with you that the real world is catching up with the novels.As you say, no Urban wars yet, and the pocket link seems a bit like rather inferior IPhone!

But I love the characters that surround Eve and Roarke. Over the series, they have become fleshed out, so there is a whole central community, with Mavis and Leonardo, Peabody, McNab, Dr Mira, Nadine, Charles and Louise. Then even the background figures are more than ciphers - we know Baxter is a snappy dresser, that Trueheart is just like his name, that Jenkinson wears terrible ties.

I also love Eve's backstory, and how, over many books, she works through her history.

As you probably gather, @EmCatlyn, this is one of my favourite series ever - can't wait for the next one!

12 minutes ago, doggie said:

there are openly of legal drugs don't know zoner is pot. 

I have never heard pot called "zoner" anywhere else, but in the "In Death" series, that seems to be the name for it.   They have other drugs, also illegal, with names like "Zeus" and "Rabbit" and a drug they call "the funk" that among other things affects eyesight.   But they do have a wider range of legal prescription drugs also.

It's a fascinating "future."

I've always loved novels set in the future, especially when the author is so prolific! There's nothing sadder than the feeling of reaching the end of a series... 

@sawasdee. and others... If you are awaiting the next JDRobb eagerly, I assume you have read Brotherhood in Death.  What did you think of it?

I was a little disappointed, it was not one of the best plots, and it kind of repeated old motifs. But the characters, as you say, are quite charming.  And have you noticed that the food gets better with each book?  I want Dennis Mira to fix me some hot chocolate! :) 

My favorites of the recent (last few years) books are Calculated in Death and Thankless in Death, but Festive in Death is pretty good also.  I am sort of re-reading the early ones now.

I WANT DENNIS TO MAKE ME CHOCOLATE! Plus, he is one of my favourite peripheral characters  - that Eve is reduced to jelly by him is, I think, one of her most endearing traits. I also love Charlie Mira....

Of relatively recent books, I think Concealed In Death is my No 1. I am missing Jamie as a character - he seems to have been sidelined a bit - and I want more Mavis, Leonardo and Nadine.

Kindred in Death broke my heart.

Concealed in Death is definitely the one that should interest FreeJingerites the most, since the mystery centers on what happened in a youth shelter run by religious do-gooders.  The story also illustrates some of the possible problems of a patriarchal ideology.  Interestingly, the do-gooders are actually doing some good, and they come across as somewhat decent if emotionally stunted people.

I agree that it is a good novel. I especially liked how we get backgrounds for the different girls.  I wasn't so happy with the Mavis connection--I prefer fewer coincidences in my novels, and I think a weakness in the backstory of the series is the way Roarke's father turns out to have known/done business with Richard Troy, and  Eve's mother turns up in one of her cases, etc.  But is just me. I know a lot of fans just love that sort of thing.

I think Jamie Lingstrom will turn up again.  As for Mavis, Leonardo and Nadine, they are definitely regulars. I'm guessing Nadine is due a romance or something soon, don't you think?

Archived