IGNORED

Canadian Anti-vaxers trial and aftermath (MERGED)

Buzzard

On 4/27/2016 at 9:05 AM, Howl said:

In this case, it seems the right verdict.  Are there other children and what will happen to them?  I hope they receive prison time. 

There are 3 more children, eight-year-old Ezra, three-year-old Ephraim and one-year-old Enoch.

Here is the newest article: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/national/dear+jury+fell+crown+98deception+says+letter+from+father/11881606/story.html

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor little guy. I can't imagine letting a child suffer that way. 

When my youngest was 5 months old he got RSV (a respiratory viral illness) and spent 5 days in an oxygen tent. He didn't seem very ill at first either but he still got medical care right away. I cannot imagine trying to treat him with garlic, horseradish and fluids by eye dropper. He's 19 now and I still worry about any respiratory illness he gets.

Modern medicine isn't perfect but I can't imagine giving my child every chance to get the help they needed. They don't even seem to regret it. 

If either one of them had been told that there was a possibility that their child had meningitis, they should've high tailed it to the ER, not drag their feet over it!
Wouldn't the parents  want to rule out bacterial meningitis? 
My daughter had viral meningitis. She got sick quite rapidly, she had the horrible worst headache, her head burned up with fever but her arms were icy cold. Her heart rate went wonky while we were waiting to be seen by a doctor in Emergency. She was an older child but it was still scary.  One of the first things they did was test to determine if it was bacterial or viral meningitis, bacterial being way deadlier. 
When she was well enough to go home, we were told to keep her well hydrated and well rested, and also told that it can come back again in the first little while, so she was to return to the hospital if she started feeling really bad again.
Seeing how sick an older child can get, I can't imagine just waiting meningitis out with a baby! 

It must have been horrible for that sweet baby. Two of my kids ended up with viral meningitis last year. My daughter, who was 12 then, got sick very suddenly and it worsened so fast. I went from debating whether or not to take her to the ER or wait for an appointment to having to ask for a wheelchair to get her into the ER because she could no longer walk on her own in less than 2 hours. Fortunately her recovery was also pretty fast, but for a time they were considering transporting her by ambulance to a children's hospital 2 hours away. My 9 year old son also ended up with it about a month later. He had a horrible miserable headache that no medication could relieve, and it lingered for what seemed like ages. He was out of school for almost 3 weeks.

My takeaway from those experiences is that there's no possible way a parent with any brain cells at all could fail to realize that a child is very, very sick if they have meningitis.

• 2 months later...
I don't know if you guys have followed this story but this couple refused to get their son medical care for meningitis that developed from an ear infection and he eventually died.  They got pretty much slaps on the wrist.

http://deadstate.org/anti-vaxxer-parents-who-treated-dead-sons-meningitis-with-maple-syrup-given-shockingly-light-sentences/

I followed it from day one. The couple has three other children, including one born after Ezekiel's death. After being convicted, Dad blasted the jury on Facebook, and he spoke to the media at a couple of events basically making it about parental rights.

I'm going to throw the white privilege card out here. If this couple had been First Nations, they would both be going to jail, and if they were any shade of immigrant brown, the mob would be all over their religious beliefs.

The children (remaining) are required to see a public health nurse every month and a medical doctor every 6 months. The problem? CPS is provincial, so once dad is out of jail, they can move and the conditions may not follow - the Alex Radita trial (going on in Calgary at the same time) proves this, as Alex was "lost" by the system when the family moved to Alberta from BC and died as a result.

5 hours ago, devoe364 said:

I followed it from day one. The couple has three other children, including one born after Ezekiel's death. After being convicted, Dad blasted the jury on Facebook, and he spoke to the media at a couple of events basically making it about parental rights.

I'm going to throw the white privilege card out here. If this couple had been First Nations, they would both be going to jail, and if they were any shade of immigrant brown, the mob would be all over their religious beliefs.

The children (remaining) are required to see a public health nurse every month and a medical doctor every 6 months. The problem? CPS is provincial, so once dad is out of jail, they can move and the conditions may not follow - the Alex Radita trial (going on in Calgary at the same time) proves this, as Alex was "lost" by the system when the family moved to Alberta from BC and died as a result.

Maybe it's time for Canada to do something about that? Like you can't flee? Or is that something each province would have to enact?

Maybe it's time for Canada to do something about that? Like you can't flee? Or is that something each province would have to enact?

The problem is, if they move there is no national CPS. Even getting an electronic registry provincially has taken a decade. The conditions will legally follow them to another province, but there is no guarantee that enforcement will follow for practical purposes.

Wow, not to digress, but I am in Canada and have followed this story and had no idea they were Mormon! Sadly it is very easy to move on to another province without any follow-up!

10 hours ago, devoe364 said:

I followed it from day 1 too I was very sad to see they got such light sentences :(

On 7/2/2016 at 10:14 AM, devoe364 said:

The problem is, if they move there is no national CPS. Even getting an electronic registry provincially has taken a decade. The conditions will legally follow them to another province, but there is no guarantee that enforcement will follow for practical purposes.

Have you saw they are already breaking court order. They were required to post the out come of the trial and sentencing information on their website and FB page but they haven't. I left a comment asking when they are going to do it and they deleted it.

5 hours ago, amazing707 said:

Have you saw they are already breaking court order. They were required to post the out come of the trial and sentencing information on their website and FB page but they haven't. I left a comment asking when they are going to do it and they deleted it.

That's interesting. I've never heard of a condition like that. Kentucky should do that to the Nauglers. How is that enforceable? 

On 7/2/2016 at 0:24 PM, JeanieCat said:

Wow, not to digress, but I am in Canada and have followed this story and had no idea they were Mormon!  

Being Mormon was not a huge factor in this case. The fact that the David Stoehn is the son of a founder of a scamming nutritional supllement company and works for his father's company. The parents toed the family/company line and treated their son with their family's bogus products, like olive leaf extract. 

11 hours ago, amazing707 said:

Are you kidding me? This really doesn't surprise me AT all. I knew this was going to happen. Personally I am going to share this with CBC News, Global and CTV - I actually have a contact who manages the Global Regina online presence. 

If they defy the courts on this, what are they going to do with the rest of it? 

I can't screen shot it, but here's what happened when I posted:

Destiny Hodgins Per the court order, this site is supposed to post an "post an unedited accurate copy" of the verdict to both her personal Facebook page, and to one dedicated to documenting the trial from the Stephans' perspective." - from what I can tell this has not been done. When are the Stephans' going to follow the court order?

Like · Reply · 3 · 9 mins · Edited
Prayers for Ezekiel
Prayers for Ezekiel Long before the deadline bebe. Don't you worry your pretty little head about it.

Like · Reply · 6 mins
Destiny Hodgins
Destiny Hodgins The misogynistic use of the word "babe" in your reply is uncalled for. This family has been ordered by the courts to do several things that they have yet to follow through on, instead, continuing to post inflamatory information. To me, this is a violation of the direction of the courts.

Like · Reply · 1 · 4 mins
James White
James White Prayers for Ezekiel your ignorance will mean the death of many more babies in similar circumstances. you should be ashamed of yourself. Stop tricking parents into following anti science and pseudoscience. Youre killing children.

Unlike · Reply · 1 · 4 mins
Erynn Watson
Erynn Watson On the other hand if they don't obey, the child killing mother can get tossed in jail where she belongs.

Like · Reply · 1 min

What is up with these people herbal remedies are fine for colds and minor problems but when you refuse to treat your child for life threatening illnesses that can be treated in hospital and your in a country where health care is easily accessed you deserve to go to jail. Modern medicine has reduced many deadly diseases we should be thankful we have it.

Wow @devoe364. That comment to you was so condescending. Make sure Global gets a screen shot of that nonsense too.

They deleted the thread, but I have screen shots on my phone. I'll try to upload everything tonight when I get home. 

On 7/6/2016 at 7:22 AM, daisyd681 said:

That's interesting. I've never heard of a condition like that. Kentucky should do that to the Nauglers. How is that enforceable? 

I have no idea. Maybe cause this is Canada but I know in the US there has been cases involving them telling someone  NOT to post on social media but not the other way.

10 hours ago, devoe364 said:

They deleted the thread, but I have screen shots on my phone. I'll try to upload everything tonight when I get home. 

They didn't even respond to me just deleted my comment.

I have no idea. Maybe cause this is Canada but I know in the US there has been cases involving them telling someone  NOT to post on social media but not the other way.

In Canada, judges have a ton of autonomy when it comes to sentencing. In particular, because this was a lenient sentence. Failure to comply with conditions will result in jail time for both parents.

In addition, what they are posting online continues to be incredibly inflammatory. Their latest claim is that Ezekiel's lungs were clear and he didn't have meningitis at all.

I hope all of this is brought up during the appeal.
They didn't even respond to me just deleted my comment.

If I could get my phone talking to my iPad, I'd have everything uploaded already. I got called "Bebe" and there was some more misogyny thrown in.

Archived