IGNORED

Erika Shupe *leer smirk* Large Families on Purpose Part 6

Boogalou

This thread just had me thinking about Easter baskets I got as a kid.  The one I loved and remember best is the year my aunt gave us (me and my sister) baskets she put together.  The usual Easter themed candy of course but there was a surprise we weren't expecting.  Throughout the "grass" in the basket, my aunt had buried little toys and jewelery.  I got a bunch of colorful metallic bangle bracelets and some flashy rings.  Best Easter ever and still remember it fifty years later.

btw: hate jelly beans unless they are Jelly Bellys.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:

umm... so now I'm a tad embarrassed to say this after reading all the reactions about Erika's basket, but we didn't really get stuff on Easter day. Sometimes we got one tiny chocolate Easter egg. On Easter Monday we got to go buy one big* hollow chocolate egg each when they were on mega discount in the shops. It was always spun as 'Jesus is the reason for the season' and that eggs and bunnies are heathen things so it wasn't something we did. I never quite understood the Easter craze :confusion-scratchheadblue:. I do think a lot of people go a bit over the top with it all. You don't *need* 5 jellybeans after all

*probably not American big :P think 7-10 oz.

I didn't really do easter at all. I am just amazed by everything about Erika's need to detail and schedule and organize every single aspect of every single occasion of every single day of every single person in her family.

I honestly think giving kids such small amounts of their own stuff makes them territorial. On Easter/Christmas/Valentine's Day/Halloween my parents would have a variety of treats for me and my brother in our own basket/stocking/what have you. They would give us more or less the same thing, but we'd always trade for our favorites. I'd give him my Skittles and he'd give me his M&Ms. Sharing and generosity among siblings! These poor Shupe children have to feel so protective of their four measly jellybeans. I do agree that it would be better to give them nothing at all than to give them a paltry four beans.

And now I want to run down to Walgreens and get some Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Eggs.....

Just now, sawasdee said:

@seasonsoflife Your English is unbelievably good - I thought you a native speaker.....:pb_biggrin:

:my_blush: Thanks.

i learned as a kid and then was in the US for 18 months as an adult, that really helped me polish it.

2 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

umm... so now I'm a tad embarrassed to say this after reading all the reactions about Erika's basket, but we didn't really get stuff on Easter day. Sometimes we got one tiny chocolate Easter egg. On Easter Monday we got to go buy one big* hollow chocolate egg each when they were on mega discount in the shops. It was always spun as 'Jesus is the reason for the season' and that eggs and bunnies are heathen things so it wasn't something we did. I never quite understood the Easter craze :confusion-scratchheadblue:. I do think a lot of people go a bit over the top with it all. You don't *need* 5 jellybeans after all

*probably not American big :P think 7-10 oz.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what you describe. I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that you weren't strictly portioned on every damn thing, growing up. The fact that Erika counted four jellybeans disturbs me. Why not just put a small handful in each egg? The fact that when she rewards the kids, they get one, and aren't even allowed to choose also disturbs me!  

9 minutes ago, iweartanktops6 said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with what you describe. I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that you weren't strictly portioned on every damn thing, growing up. The fact that Erika counted four jellybeans disturbs me. Why not just put a small handful in each egg? The fact that when she rewards the kids, they get one, and aren't even allowed to choose! 

We didn't have everything portioned. But if we had cookies we only got one a day. If we got candy we only got one. If we got more they were portioned to make sure everyone got equal amounts (to eliminate fighting).
I get the not allowing kids to choose their own jellybean is a bit stupid, but I don't necessarily see how giving them only 4 candies in an egg is so bad. It's a lot more than they are used to so to them it probably is a treat. To me it is a bit about seeing it from the kids perspective - if she is counting them out in front of the kids that is a lot OTT evilness, if not meh. <- IMO

11 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:

We didn't have everything portioned. But if we had cookies we only got one a day. If we got candy we only got one. If we got more they were portioned to make sure everyone got equal amounts (to eliminate fighting).
I get the not allowing kids to choose their own jellybean is a bit stupid, but I don't necessarily see how giving them only 4 candies in an egg is so bad. It's a lot more than they are used to so to them it probably is a treat. To me it is a bit about seeing it from the kids perspective - if she is counting them out in front of the kids that is a lot OTT evilness, if not meh. <- IMO

I hear you. I wouldn't bat an eye if this was just some random person. But it's Erika, so when this is added to the rest of her controlling patterns, it's the entire situation that irritates me. 

At first I didn't realize that one basket was for all the kids, I thought each child got their own basket. And I couldn't figure out why it was a big deal each egg only had 4 jelly beans. 

For us,Easter is all about the candy :lol:  We do an egg hunt with dozens of plastic eggs filled with candy, some with just a few jelly beans. But each child ends up with 2 or 3 dozen eggs. I'm probably a horrible mom for that though. I'm sure I'm going to go to he'll for the amount of sugar I've allowed my children to eat.

3 hours ago, Dark Matters said:

This thread just had me thinking about Easter baskets I got as a kid.  The one I loved and remember best is the year my aunt gave us (me and my sister) baskets she put together.  The usual Easter themed candy of course but there was a surprise we weren't expecting.  Throughout the "grass" in the basket, my aunt had buried little toys and jewelery.  I got a bunch of colorful metallic bangle bracelets and some flashy rings.  Best Easter ever and still remember it fifty years later.

btw: hate jelly beans unless they are Jelly Bellys.

This makes me so sad. I remember our childhood easter baskets, and the amazing sugar eggs that you looked inside and there was a little scene. My mom didn't believe in candy, so easter, christmas, and halloween were big deals.

But being sucked into fundiedom meant no easter baskets, and no trick-or-treating, and now our kids are grown, and I feel like I cheated them.

Would it be stupid to make up easter baskets for them this year, and surprise them?

1 minute ago, refugee said:

This makes me so sad. I remember our childhood easter baskets, and the amazing sugar eggs that you looked inside and there was a little scene. My mom didn't believe in candy, so easter, christmas, and halloween were big deals.

But being sucked into fundiedom meant no easter baskets, and no trick-or-treating, and now our kids are grown, and I feel like I cheated them.

Would it be stupid to make up easter baskets for them this year, and surprise them?

As an adult child whose mother still surprises them on holidays sometimes, no it wouldn't be stupid. Get a bit of candy and maybe even toss in something more adult, like a scarf or hat. I bet they would love it.

3 minutes ago, refugee said:

No, it would NOT be stupid! DO IT!

We had no money for Xmas stockings when I was small. When we as a family were more financially secure, I made stockings every year - part things we missed out on as kids, like ball bearing puzzles, and part grown up - Bailey's Liqueur Chocolates, anyone, in that nice little pack of five!

Everyone loved it. Some even regressed to childhood:pb_ubergeek:

15 minutes ago, refugee said:

It wouldn't be stupid, it would be lovely! Just don't skimp on the jellybeans (or better replace them with something yummier :))

I will say a few things about her mom tips.

If you can't handle pen caps, honestly, I don't know how you cope with having children and just...having a life.

Beta fish shouldn't be kept in fish bowls like that even though pet stores imply that is this okay. It's not. It's cruel.

Using post-it notes for their intended purpose is not novel or interesting.

Speaking of, Erika has a rule against using things for other than their intended purpose which really makes her sock thing and beta fish vase VERY IMPROPER.

I wish somebody would point out the "wearing that which pertaineth to man" thing to her on her Facebook page. I'm banned.

1 minute ago, Antimony said:

I will say a few things about her mom tips.

If you can't handle pen caps, honestly, I don't know how you cope with having children and just...having a life.

Beta fish shouldn't be kept in fish bowls like that even though pet stores imply that is this okay. It's not. It's cruel.

Using post-it notes for their intended purpose is not novel or interesting.

Speaking of, Erika has a rule against using things for other than their intended purpose which really makes her sock thing and beta fish vase VERY IMPROPER.

I wish somebody would point out the "wearing that which pertaineth to man" thing to her on her Facebook page. I'm banned.

1) Can you imagine if she lost a cap? All hell would break loose (well, actually the highlighters would get dry, but I am sure that is pretty much hell for her).

2) She does have a history of mistreating pets to make them more convenient and easy to fit into her lifestyle, so this doesn't surprise me. 

4 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Man, if my mom gave me a gross lofthouse cookie and a book called CRACKER! I might cry.

Don't worry, it's for you to share.  Doesn't that make it better?  UGH.

I wonder if her teenagers look forward to special days, or if they wish she just didn't bother?

I like the wires idea, and the batteries idea. The rest, eh. I swear that with loads of pens with caps you can actually fit the cap onto the other end of the pen? Problem solved. I do that all the time. 

The ideas that aren't hers are actually the better ones. 

When I was little, Daddy would make a full on Hansel and Gretel trail of Hershey chocolate eggs from the mailbox, through one of the front windows, and right up to my Easter basket, which was always HUGE, beautifully wrapped by my mama in pastel cellophane with a giant bow, and filled with Reese's eggs, Cadbury creme eggs and mini eggs, Rainblo egg bubble gum, an Elmer's gold brick egg (which if you are of a certain age and grew up near New Orleans, you are sure to wax nostalgic for now), chocolate turtles from DH Holmes department store, a white chocolate bunny, a milk chocolate bunny, and Elmer's Heavenly Hash.  I also got toys.

FUCK YOU, ERIKA SHUPE.  You suck at life and are a terrible mother.  

ETA:  Just realized why I'm fat.

I can't believe the amount of detail she goes into to talk about her choice of indoor footwear. 

And does she really thing that people are unable to figure out when to take their dayquil without her idiotic tips and pictures?

On a different note, I just finished reading an old post of hers about easter baskets and how she gives 4 jellybeans to each kid inside plastic eggs...4 jellybeans...that is just sad...and what is this obsession she has with jellybeans?!

I can't stand this woman, thinking about having a mother like that gives me anxiety.

Honestly, we give our kids no candy in their easter baskets, instead filing them with books and things they can do. My kids are not really candy eaters, and I'm not going to complain about it or encourage it. We stopped giving them much or any candy for holidays when I noticed that I was throwing away Halloween candy at Christmas, Christmas candy at easter, Easter candy at whatever the next candy holiday was.

That being said, I think four jelly beans is a crock of shit. Why even give any candy because four jelly beans, to me, seems like a slap in the face.

Just now, Burpies said:

Honestly, we give our kids no candy in their easter baskets, instead filing them with books and things they can do. My kids are not really candy eaters, and I'm not going to complain about it or encourage it. We stopped giving them much or any candy for holidays when I noticed that I was throwing away Halloween candy at Christmas, Christmas candy at easter, Easter candy at whatever the next candy holiday was.

That being said, I think four jelly beans is a crock of shit. Why even give any candy because four jelly beans, to me, seems like a slap in the face.

Well, if your kids aren't really candy eaters, then that's OK and their choice. My cousin doesn't really eat sweet food either. But somehow, I think the Shupe kids really do like sugar.

4 hours ago, iweartanktops6 said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with what you describe. I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that you weren't strictly portioned on every damn thing, growing up. The fact that Erika counted four jellybeans disturbs me. Why not just put a small handful in each egg? The fact that when she rewards the kids, they get one, and aren't even allowed to choose also disturbs me!  

I agree that a small handful in each egg would be easier, but in one sense I understand why she counts. I didn't grow up with restricted portions, but to this day, whenever I eat a homemade meal at my parents' house that has anything "countable" like shrimp, my dad ALWAYS counts and then tells everybody how many they can have to keep the servings equitable.

When it's small things like jelly beans, it does seem sort of crazy, but if I were a kid, I would be jealous if my sister got 5 jelly beans and I only got 4.

My atheist father tried hard to prevent Easter. However, he had a daugher with an inherent love of bunnies. I didn't actually get my Morris until I was 16 but every Easter I usually got a rabbit figurine. And cadbury mini eggs. I love those.  This year my best friend and I have been invited to an overnight easter led egg hunt that will be conducted while on hallucinogenic chocolate shroom eggs. It's probably going to rain, but it will be an adventure. I don't think Erika could conceive of such a thing.

Why does Erika have a beta fish? She has a tiny house and not a lot of counter space. I'm sure Happy is enough for you. Or is it Mocha? Muffin? I don't remember... 

20 minutes ago, Burpies said:

You know, I don't do much candy for my kids either.  My son is peanut allergic, for one thing, and that limits my choices for candy that is actually edible.  *smile*   I treat Easter baskets more like Christmas stockings.  

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived