IGNORED

Godly Father Advertises 26 year old virgin daughter in Christian magazine

apandaaries

Anyone else see that a "church elder" decided to advertise his daughter on Christianity Today? He's looking for a husband for her, and of course, didn't need her permission nor opinion to post: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/07/dad-advertises-his-virgin-daughter-for-marriage-in-christian-magazine.html?source=TDB&via=FB_Page

Here's her cached (is that a word?) blog post about it: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:G3z8YTNXqOkJ:therachelmemoir.blogspot.com/2016/02/son-in-law.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us 

Sadly, her blog requires permission to read, permission I lack.  At least she appears to have a college education and a sense of humor, if not reasonable, rational parents.  

Saw this just now. Didn't see it on the site yet.

“Her: godly, gorgeous, athletic, educated, careered, humorous, travelled, bilingual, 26-year-old virgin. You: unworthy, though becoming less so daily.” 

http://jezebel.com/godly-father-advertises-gorgeous-26-year-old-virgin-da-1763450870?utm_campaign=socialflow_jezebel_facebook&utm_source=jezebel_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

I read the ad to my Mother, her response "aren't we arrogant" (the father).

I need to describe myself as "careered" more often. 

7 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

I read the ad to my Mother, her response "aren't we arrogant" (the father).

???  Who responded about being arrogant? The mom or the father?  Where was this ad?

Yes!  I just posted about this a few minutes earlier.  Perhaps a helpmeet could merge the threads...promise to pray for your soul in exchange for such a godly act! ;)

You.  Unworthy, but becoming less so daily...

I am reading that as "She's getting old and so Dad is lowering his standards....."

14 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Chicagoland, eh?  How far away is Wheaton from Oak Brook?

Not far, about 10 miles.  Wheaton is to the west and slightly north from Oak Brook. 

I don't understand why Christianity Today would run the ad. It seems in contradiction with the relatively mainstream image they used to try to maintain, and you would think someone somewhere along the line of approving an ad like that would question what their liability would be if things went bad and the young woman was harmed as a result?

I see he neither follows his own advice, nor understands irony.  Or racism.  Chiefs and Indians?  Really????

"When you get to be old like me (mid 50's), and financially blessed like me (wanting, rather than needing, to work) you are afforded the privilege of reflecting back upon your career. I landed my first CFO job at age 25 as a newly minted U. of C. MBA. It was a $20M hospital with 300 employees and I did not have a clue. One year later, I was the Administrator. My CEO gave me a word of advice: Before taking action, ask yourself how you would feel if this was disclosed on the front page of the Chicago Tribune. That exercise has served me well. Here are a few more of the lessons I have learned from 30 years as CFO:
- reward loyalty: Chiefs come and go; faithful Indians deserve much more credit and praise
- encourage honesty: highly paid subordinates, who are not "yes-men", are rare and valuable
- choose accountability: the worst deception is self-deception; voluntarily submit to a mentor
- show consistency: unpredictability is not an asset; leave surprises to the marketing team
- display generosity: gratitude is the attitude that sets the altitude of life; we are all too blessed
- model chivalry: no one cares how much you know, till they know how much you care
- manifest humility: the ability of a company to thrive, even after I've left, is astounding
- maintain integrity: never compromise your principles; even if it costs you your job
- prioritize eternity: take care of what's on God's heart, and He'll take care of what's on yours"

He's the CFO of Fairview Ministries in Downers Grove, IL - a Christian retirement community.

54 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Chicagoland, eh?  How far away is Wheaton from Oak Brook?

Doesn't even have to be a gothardite. There are people in the PCA, CREC, and SBC who think this way. 

I can see it two ways:

The girl (I'm not sure about her being adult enough to be called a "woman" though I could be wrong) is so isolated by her culture and her CFO dad's standards are so high (or her own standards are high, rather like a Rachel who gets discussed elsewhere) that the local boys just don't cut it. If her father is an elder at one of "those" churches, it's likely he's looking for son-in-law material with an equal status (elder in a like-minded church, or possibly son of such an elder with good prospects).

The girl is not so isolated, but actually has been educated, and has traveled, and has a job (there are all ways to define these words in a fundie way so that she fits the profile above, BTW, without actually having an education, or travel experience, or employment that would be recognized as such by JFers). The problem here is, her parents want to be grandparents, and she's not moving quickly enough for them, and god isn't answering their prayers for a godly husband, so they decided to help both god and the daughter out. Kind of like Abram's Sarai giving her maid to Abram to hurry things along with that godly seed business. It's biblical!

Either way, I'm embarrassed for her.

11 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

I see he neither follows his own advice, nor understands irony.  Or racism.  Chiefs and Indians?  Really????

"When you get to be old like me (mid 50's), and financially blessed like me (wanting, rather than needing, to work) you are afforded the privilege of reflecting back upon your career. I landed my first CFO job at age 25 as a newly minted U. of C. MBA. It was a $20M hospital with 300 employees and I did not have a clue. One year later, I was the Administrator. My CEO gave me a word of advice: Before taking action, ask yourself how you would feel if this was disclosed on the front page of the Chicago Tribune. That exercise has served me well. Here are a few more of the lessons I have learned from 30 years as CFO:
- reward loyalty: Chiefs come and go; faithful Indians deserve much more credit and praise
- encourage honesty: highly paid subordinates, who are not "yes-men", are rare and valuable
- choose accountability: the worst deception is self-deception; voluntarily submit to a mentor
- show consistency: unpredictability is not an asset; leave surprises to the marketing team
- display generosity: gratitude is the attitude that sets the altitude of life; we are all too blessed
- model chivalry: no one cares how much you know, till they know how much you care
- manifest humility: the ability of a company to thrive, even after I've left, is astounding
- maintain integrity: never compromise your principles; even if it costs you your job
- prioritize eternity: take care of what's on God's heart, and He'll take care of what's on yours"

If it weren't for the Chicago location, I'd swear he was an elder (with an aging daughter) from our former church. He sounds just like the guy, CFO and objectification of women and all.

From what I can read about  her, she's not a stay at home daughter, perhaps lives on her own, and definitely seems to have a job. So more of a run of the mill conservative Christian. It's depressing that this view of women and marriage is so deeply entrenched. 

Dad sounds like such a controlling douche.

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I need to describe myself as "careered" more often. 

New post count perhaps? "Careered 26 yo virgin"

:)

40 minutes ago, refugee said:

<snip> If it weren't for the Chicago location, I'd swear he was an elder (with an aging daughter) from our former church. He sounds just like the guy, CFO and objectification of women and all.

This guy sounded so much like he could have been one of my college classmates that I had to go check the Linkedin profile.  He's not but his college is in the same college conference as mine was.   

I find it especially ironic that we've picked up on this story today - International Women's Day. 

It's 2016 in the good old US of A, and this MBA'd father thinks it's perfectly OK to advertise his 26 year-old daughter's virginity, apparently without her knowledge or consent. 

Shame on Christianity Today, for accepting and running this ad.

How much y'all want to bet she's not a virgin?  ETA:  I hope she is not.  Bless her heart.  I can't imagine my daddy advertising my sexual status on the damned internet.  What an absolute jackass.

3 hours ago, doggie said:

Well as far as he knows she is a virgin.

If she's not, does her would-be suitor get his money back? </sarcasm>

Careered and degreed -- that's me! :my_biggrin:

Seriously, this father is a fucking ASSHOLE. Hard to see how any future son-in-law could have a decent relationship with him, never mind what this has probably done to the father-daughter relationship. Ugh.

I find it so bizarre that these people are willing to discuss things so personal out in the open. They like to stomp around crying "modesty!!!" but where is their sense of privacy? 

This is a joke, right?! OMG. Even the most conservative families of my acquaintance do not advertise their unmarried SAHD.

Archived