IGNORED

Jana Duggar: Courting or hype?

Kelsey

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ClaraOswin said:

I don't know a whole lot about Chad. Everyone seems to love him. But aren't they still a part of the same cult??

I don't think Jana is courting. I think Joy and Jinger will find someone before her.

I have heard about the whole Mr. Chad thing for a while now and I agree with you. Can someone tell me why everyone goes crazy for him? I honestly don't know.

12 minutes ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

I have heard about the whole Mr. Chad thing for a while now and I agree with you. Can someone tell me why everyone goes crazy for him? I honestly don't know.

Pros-- He respects Erin's career and health problems (ok maybe not as much now as #2 is cooking).  He allowed her to have the pink princess bedroom (as does Brandon, so I guess pink bedrooms run in the family).  For all of the cult upbringing, (on the surface) he treats her like a queen.

Cons--- (Personally) I can't look at the guy and not see Paul Ryan.  That alone ruins him for me.

That said, Jana does deserve someone who treats her very well, as Chad does with Erin.

Whatever keeps the leg humpers tuning in; wouldn't surprise me at all if it was a courtship.

After all, everyone loves weddings!

What is Erin's career?

I remember seeing that pink bedroom on an episode of 19 Kids. I found it to be very bizarre. 

9 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

What is Erin's career?

I remember seeing that pink bedroom on an episode of 19 Kids. I found it to be very bizarre. 

She teaches piano lessons and records music. I think her most recent CD was a Christmas album. Not necessarily what a lot of people may think of as a career (meaning 9-5 office job with benefits, etc.), but I give her credit for doing something she loves and doing it well.

ETA: as for the bedroom, as long as they both agreed and were happy with it I don't really care how they decorate it. I do think it might have been Erin's way (and now Michael's way) of finally getting to have the bedroom she wanted as a kid.

10 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

What is Erin's career?

Piano teacher and she's released several albums (insturmental piano).

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

She teaches piano lessons and records music. I think her most recent CD was a Christmas album. Not necessarily what a lot of people may think of as a career (meaning 9-5 office job with benefits, etc.), but I give her credit for doing something she loves and doing it well.

ETA: as for the bedroom, as long as they both agreed and were happy with it I don't really care how they decorate it. I do think it might have been Erin's way (and now Michael's way) of finally getting to have the bedroom she wanted as a kid.

Well, I mean, people have all kinds of jobs and careers, and not all are regular "9-5 while working for a company" ones.

I do consider being a piano teacher a completely legit job, and she has got the education for it too. She might not be working full-time, but a lot of young mothers work part-time, which, as long as she is giving some lessons and/or making CDs, she is clearly doing.

33 minutes ago, Sundaymorning said:

Well, I mean, people have all kinds of jobs and careers, and not all are regular "9-5 while working for a company" ones.

I do consider being a piano teacher a completely legit job, and she has got the education for it too. She might not be working full-time, but a lot of young mothers work part-time, which, as long as she is giving some lessons and/or making CDs, she is clearly doing.

Which is why I worded it the way I did - you'll note I didn't say I personally thought otherwise. There are people in the world who hear "career" and immediately think of an office setting or working full-time or something.

Also, as I mentioned, I give her credit for not only being talented at something but for pursuing it as much as she has. It's clear how much effort and work she has put into it.

I'm really hoping that the "I didn't see this coming." comment referenced being part of a new Duggar show.  Jana deserves so much more than a Bin or Derek 2.0.  

If by chance Jana is courting I really hope that it is someone who treats her well and someone she cares for. Not some idiot that JB has picked out and she is tolerating for the family brand. Hasn't the girl been through enough? Raising how many kids that are not her own?

Duggar girls may not be a hot commodity. Yes, they are sweet but they are also extremely sheltered and immature. There may be some men who want to be able to have decent dinner conversation that do not include quotes from the Bible. Or maybe they enjoy Christian music that is not hymns. The Duggars are so very sheltered it would almost be like taking a pre-teen to raise.

At what point do with stop calling this a reality show and start calling it a badly scripted, badly acted, comedy/drama? The courtships/marriages/babies are being built around the show, not the show building around them. If a fourth Duggar kid is having the courtship planned by a television show, then it's a storyline. What's worse, there is no way to back out of it once th storyline has started. Josiah got lucky because it looked like the show was gone when they broke up and the courtship had never really been aired. Now what? If it's Jana in a courtship, there is nothing she can do once the show has started filming and promoting it. She is basically going to be expected to go through with the wedding even if she changes her mind. 

Who ever has the possible courtship, don't they get access to having an instagram/possible twitter from it? Or would they be holding that off because of the show?

15 minutes ago, socalrules said:

At what point do with stop calling this a reality show and start calling it a badly scripted, badly acted, comedy/drama? The courtships/marriages/babies are being built around the show, not the show building around them. If a fourth Duggar kid is having the courtship planned by a television show, then it's a storyline. What's worse, there is no way to back out of it once th storyline has started. Josiah got lucky because it looked like the show was gone when they broke up and the courtship had never really been aired. Now what? If it's Jana in a courtship, there is nothing she can do once the show has started filming and promoting it. She is basically going to be expected to go through with the wedding even if she changes her mind. 

In general I agree that the show is driving things, but we can hope that, if a courtship doesn't work out, TLC will see the advantages of showing that as part of the "reality" and focus some scenes on the disappointment, the concerns, etc.. That could get ratings too, and let the poor young people get rid of each other.

What worries me is JB, not TLC.  They can probably find a story even if a relationship fails.  But I don't know how one of the Duggar girls would have the courage to tell her father that she wants to end a courtship.  This are the girls who were told to forgive and forget when a brother molests them.  How can they speak for themselves?

3 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Pros-- He respects Erin's career and health problems (ok maybe not as much now as #2 is cooking).  He allowed her to have the pink princess bedroom (as does Brandon, so I guess pink bedrooms run in the family).  For all of the cult upbringing, (on the surface) he treats her like a queen.

Cons--- (Personally) I can't look at the guy and not see Paul Ryan.  That alone ruins him for me.

That said, Jana does deserve someone who treats her very well, as Chad does with Erin.

Crap. Now, I see that too. :SNIF:

2 hours ago, socalrules said:

The reason I don't think that would be an issue is because I doubt Jana would allow her courtship to be part of the show until she's on the brink of getting engaged. That's essentially what Josh and Jill did, and what I think Jessa would have done if Ben's relative hadn't outed them on facebook (and I still think that those two would have broken up early if they hadn't had to court for the cameras).  Josiah announced his courtship immediately and since that ended I think the family would rather avoid that situation on camera. 

I could be way off, but based on those specials and the recent promos, I think Jana has a lot more agency that we think. I'd say she has more control over her image than the rest of them. 

They have footage of Josiah's courtship. I wonder if they'll show any of it.

Was it true that in the past, JB mentioned certain guys to Jana who were interested her but she declined? Or was that just rumor?

JB has always claimed that he would mention guys to all his daughters all the time, but they were picky. I actually believe him on that one. 

I have thought that maybe Jana specifically doesn't  want to get marry and  have  to reproduce endlessly in her heart of hearts. She has seen, and done the work of it all being the eldest girl. And maybe she knows she can't get married and NOT have endless children.

This is of course conjecture on my part. The thought of endless children is overwhelming at the very least.

I hope it's true. Because I'd hate to thing of him basically forcing them to marry a specific guy.

Though I think some of the daughters would be more likely to go along with his influence *cough*Jill*cough* than others.

40 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I hope it's true. Because I'd hate to thing of him basically forcing them to marry a specific guy.

Though I think some of the daughters would be more likely to go along with his influence *cough*Jill*cough* than others.

Yes Jill seems like the "golden child" out of the bunch. Something tells me Jana is a lot more outspoken than many of us think. She is one of the oldest in the house (especially if JD does live off the compound), so she does has some control in the household. Jana probably won't get married until she truly WANTS to get married.....if  ever. There are forever single women in their cult (Tabitha Paine and Sarah Maxwell). 

When/if Jana courts I want him to be handsome and kind  as hell. SHE MUST WIN THE HUSBAND CONTEST

Sorry, posted my comment in the wrong thread! 

I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic. I still have hopes that Jana will ditch dudes and go to school, but I know those chances are pretty slim from the looks of things.

6 hours ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

Yes Jill seems like the "golden child" out of the bunch. Something tells me Jana is a lot more outspoken than many of us think. She is one of the oldest in the house (especially if JD does live off the compound), so she does has some control in the household. Jana probably won't get married until she truly WANTS to get married.....if  ever. There are forever single women in their cult (Tabitha Paine and Sarah Maxwell). 

When/if Jana courts I want him to be handsome and kind  as hell. SHE MUST WIN THE HUSBAND CONTEST

I hope that is true.  I'd love to see her marry just to leave the house and have a rest but if she's going to quickly end up with her own brood then maybe she's better off where she is where at least the children are all getting into the age of self sufficiency.

18 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I wonder if the girls are somehow "tainted", so there won't be as many guys to come courting.

I think so.  Not just the molestations, but also being famous.  There's no courting one of those girls without having to be on TV.  That there by itself will drive people away.  Right now my sister by a different mister is dating a Hollywood A-lister, one of the most bankable actors in Hollywood, and they want to get married.  The reason they aren't is because it's not possible to keep that sort of thing a secret, and they want their privacy.  Marriage licenses are public record, and nothing is in place to stop an excited clerk from spreading the news.  Even without cameras following them around all the time and millions of rabid fans watching them on a show every week, they have to think about how advancing their relationship will draw more attention to them when they're trying to be as secret as they can.  So far they've hidden it well enough that everyone thinks he's single.

So when I think about them, and the worry about how getting married will put them in the spotlight, I can really easily see how good, decent men who might be genuinely interested in Jana, Jinger, and Joy (Anna?) might step back and walk away, leaving the fame-seekers to forge on.  Marrying a Duggar means you don't get to live a private life anymore.  How many of us would be willing to give up our privacy to date someone new?

8 hours ago, lascuba said:

JB has always claimed that he would mention guys to all his daughters all the time, but they were picky. I actually believe him on that one. 

Let's say he's suggested and they can say no.  Can they be the ones to make suggestions?  We've heard nothing about that, only him offering up boys for consideration.

Archived