IGNORED

Armed Protesters take over Oregon Federal Wildlife Refuge Part 2

Boogalou

Presser about the Lavoy Finicum shooting tomorrow

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/03/investigation_into_lavoy_finic.html#comments

Prosecutors to seek protective order

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/03/proseuctors_to_seek_protective.html

Federal prosecutors estimate that evidence accumulated in the conspiracy case stemming from the armed takeover of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge will exceed one terabyte of digital data and want the court to order defense attorneys not to share the material or make it public.

And Ammon Bundy is complaining that the defense fund is already used up

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

And Ammon Bundy is complaining that the defense fund is already used up

I just did a spit take.

Seriously!?!

• Upvote 2

@AmazonGrace, that's awesome.  I'll be very interested in what they have to say, especially if any audio or video is released after the press conference. 

I was looking at the Bundy Ranch facebook and it looked like Ammon had $85,000.  Mike Arnold will just blow it on drugs and alcohol for underage clients, but hey! send more. 

The patriot/militia types are always polishing their guns, waiting for Obama to declare martial law and yakking about "taking action."  

The camo-sexual histrionics are along the lines of: People are being arrested and WHY ISN'T ANYONE DOING ANYTHING?  Translation:  Why isn't somebody shooting people I don't like?  I think most sane people fear that one of these wing nuts is going to crack and try to start the revolution. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Howl said:

I think most sane people fear that one of these wing nuts is going to crack and try to start the revolution. 

I really thought that might be a possibility with all the rallies this weekend.

Most of them seemed very small and weak, to be honest.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

I really thought that might be a possibility with all the rallies this weekend.

Most of them seemed very small and weak, to be honest.

Yes, and apparently Roy Warden's protest in Tucson was a dud, with about 12 people showing up.  They did gather signatures for a petition that demands that whoever shot LaVoy Finicum be tried before a jury.  Roy Warden will present the signatures and petition to the Tucson Federal judges and DAs and ......something. 

• Upvote 1

Because somehow Tucson city officials can force the federal government to do something about something that happened in Oregon? Alrighty then.

• Upvote 3

You people trying to be all logical n stuff, right?   What ARE you thinking.

• Upvote 4

The lackluster response to the Bundy et al legal fund not only illustrates how fringe these characters are, but how much these militia/sovereign citizen types are all talk and no action. As soon as one of them actually puts rhetoric into action, they scatter and retreat to the safety of their computer screens. If you believe the logic of the militia movemebt, what Timothy McVeigh did made perfect sense by striking out against the federal government in the most violent manner imaginable. However, rather than be inspired to take further action, the militias largely disbanded because they were being linked to a guy called a "babykiller." But once again, the children in the federal building should have been regarded as "collateral damage," as McVeigh claimed, but the average militia goer didn't want to be linked to that. I imagine most modern militia men want to save their money to buy more guns, ammo, and survival gear, not on some guy's legal fund, even if they do agree in theory with his cause. They want to play at being weekend warriors and complain on the Internet, not actually get into a full-blown conflict.

• Upvote 11

@Cleopatra7, this is so true.  All of these arrests have had a chilling, if not paralyzing, effect and these guys are not willing to turn their false bravado into a principled stand.   Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, wants to be THAT GUY in solitary in a Portland or Las Vegas jail who is almost certainly headed for prison.  And it's easy to blather on about dying on your feet instead of living on your knees, but nobody, NOBODY wants to be the second martyr for the cause, leaving a widow and children to beg on the digital sidewalk for money. Much easier to be a keyboard warrior going on and  on about Tyranny while clutching a pocket copy of the constitution. 

Also, it will be quite interesting to see if Stewart Rhodes, founder of Oath Keepers, is rounded up as one of the Bundy Ranch standoff participants.  I know he was there, but not what role he played.  He's a lawyer, and may have had enough common sense to not be armed or posting inflammatory remarks on social media. 

However, I did find some comedy gold from the Bundy standoff back in 2014 -- militia vs Oath Keepers as witnessed by a writer for the Southern Poverty Law Center, which is loathed by militia and Oath Keepers alike:

It was the imminent drone attack that finally did it.

Paranoid rumors are not only common at gatherings of anti-government “Patriots,” they’re practically the entire raison d’etre for them. So when a wild and paranoid rumor began circulating – that Attorney General Eric Holder was preparing a drone strike on the armed militiamen who gathered at Cliven Bundy’s ranch in Nevada – it unleashed a rift within the camp, which is brimming with fear, rage, testosterone and firearms.

Full text here: splcenter.org/hatewatch/2014/04/30/back-bundy-ranch-its-oath-keepers-vs-militiamen-wild-rumors-fly

Also, this kinda reminds me of the panic that seized the Occupiers at the refuge when they received news of the LaVoy Finicum fatality.  They packed up or just left without packing, and went screaming out into the night.  They thought an invasion by the Feds was imminent and they were all going to die. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

This article interested me - when I saw the story about the Utah rally (and the fact that high school students sang) I immediately wondered what the school was thinking:

http://www.sltrib.com/news/3628835-155/utah-high-school-principal-apologizes-for

The Oregonian is live-streaming today's Finicum announcement.  I don't know if they are also going to live-stream the family's conference, but they are covering it.

Should be a busy day in Oregon!

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Howl said:

Do you have a link to the live stream or know when it's going to start?  

In an unusual move, the sheriff's office didn't publicly announce the time or exact location of the news conference and asked reporters to send an email to reserve a place.

I'm watching Les Zaitz's twitter feed.  He said he would post details (4 hours ago) but has not yet . . . . 

In an unusual move, the sheriff's office didn't publicly announce the time or exact location of the news conference and asked reporters to send an email to reserve a place.

Very cagey on their part so they can avoid hosting Patriotti and assorted camo-sexuals at their event. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Howl said:

Very cagey on their part so they can avoid hosting Patriotti and assorted camo-sexuals at their event. 

I joined Twitter just to better track the journos . . . what lengths I will go to!

(Oh!  I have to go follow BundyRanch . . . . )

Yes, I assumed that the sensitivity of the topic was dictating some security countermeasures.

Editing to add, the Oregonian has now created a centralized location for Malheur documents. It's already a pretty extensive list.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/03/court_documents_filed_stemming.html

Edited by SpoonfulOSugar

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/03/watch_live_news_conference_on.html#incart_maj-story-1

Should be starting any time now.  Tentatively set for 10 am local time . . . . 

Here's a different link just in case that one doesn't work or craps out:

https://t.co/CqilaE0hSL

Local media is KGW, KOIN and the Oregonian, if that helps anyone.

Edited by SpoonfulOSugar
  • Upvote 1

Holy Hannah.

Justified shooting.

Six shots OSP; 2 shots by FBI.

3 of the shots were fatal.

No shots at the truck. after Finicum was shot.  (There were 3 shots during his driving towards the roadblock.)

They're using Shawna Cox's phone video sync'd with the FBI video previously released.

Edited by SpoonfulOSugar
Edited in bold.
  • Upvote 4

Updating:  Oh, dear.  Sounds like the FBI HRT team has some problems. :(  This may be very difficult to deal with.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, daisyd681 said:

When and if there's a transcript, can someone post it? TIA

Transcript of the presser?  Or summary of their findings?  Apparently some pieces will also be available on the sheriff's site.  

• Upvote 1

BEND – Something didn't seem right about the bullet hole in the top of Robert "LaVoy" Finicum's white Dodge pickup.

Investigators from the Deschutes County Sheriff's Office could account for bullet holes in the left front hood, the driver's side mirror and the front grille. They came from the automatic weapon of a state trooper who had fired three times at the truck as Finicum raced at 70 mph toward a police roadblock on Jan. 26.

The angle of a fourth bullet hole didn't match the others.

An elaborate computer analysis, a review of the FBI aerial video of the shooting scene and a video from a passenger in Finicum's pickup produced a result that startled the team poring over evidence into Finicum's fatal shooting that day.

The fourth round, police concluded, was fired by an FBI agent who subsequently twice denied to investigators ever firing his gun. As the investigation proceeded, detectives determined he also fired a second time, but didn't hit anything at the scene.

The discovery of that gunfire and conduct afterward by the agent and four other agents have triggered a criminal investigation that could result in the prosecution of all five. The agents all serve on the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team. Authorities on Tuesday released few details about the matter and didn't identify the agents by name.

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/03/oregon_standoff_fbi_lie_uncove.html

• Upvote 1