IGNORED

Duggars cooking and gardening - part 2

Boogalou

Just now, PennySycamore said:

Bethella, I knew that historically that sugaring was done in the northern Midwest because there's a chapter in Little House in the Big Woods about sugar season and the book is set in Wisconsin.  

It still is- we have friends who produce commercially

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northeast US here as well.  The Wegmans I go to has a German section.  In addition to the stuff already mentioned, it sells Milka chocolate and spatzele, as well as German brand mustards and fruit preserves.

British Cadbury is far superior to American Cadbury.

@Arete, did you drop the Jo from your user name?  I'll miss it.  My mom was a First Name Jo, btw.  Nobody ever called her First Name Jo, though.  She just went by her first name or a short version of it.  Turns out she didn't like the short version although her siblings used it.  My dad did not.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@Arete, did you drop the Jo from your user name?  I'll miss it.  My mom was a First Name Jo, btw.  Nobody ever called her First Name Jo, though.  She just went by her first name or a short version of it.  Turns out she didn't like the short version although her siblings used it.  My dad did not.

Yes, I did drop the Jo.  Arete was the original name I requested to use on the forum, but when my activated registration came back I had been turned into AreteJo.  Don't worry, I will always answer to AreteJo here. ;):)  

9 hours ago, Jucifer said:

AFAIK it's a British pudding made with suet and dried fruit, often served with a side of custard. :o

If anyone here is a spotted dick fan, I'm not snarking on you.  The name is just funny to my American ears. ;)

Believe me, we Brits find it just as funny. Chances are whoever named it knew exactly what they were doing :my_biggrin:

Smuttiness and double entendre are our lifeblood. There are TV programs that thrive on that - exhibit a:

Well, it's made in Scotland from girders so it does kind of taste like rust. (Sort of gingery - it's hard to explain, there's nothing quite like it).

One of my friends (in Scotland) went out for a meal the other week and had deep fried Mars bar with Irn Bru ice cream for dessert. She said it was nice.

Deep fried Mars bar sounds interesting. Haven't had an English Mars bar for a long time. Next visit.

There are tons of summer camps that the kids would enjoy and learn a lot from. I know of a "Seed to Table" camp at the nature center that teaches children and teens about growing vegetables in a garden and wholesome, plant based cooking. Plus they take hikes on forest trails, learn about wildlife, and do nature themed arts & crafts. They are a week long and reasonably priced. The Duggar kids would have such fun. It's sad they don't get to do things like this.    

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 0:02 PM, CoveredInBees said:

Well, it's made in Scotland from girders so it does kind of taste like rust. (Sort of gingery - it's hard to explain, there's nothing quite like it).

One of my friends (in Scotland) went out for a meal the other week and had deep fried Mars bar with Irn Bru ice cream for dessert. She said it was nice.

Hard to describe the taste of Irn Bru - always loved it as a kid.  I always thought the deep fried Mars Bar was a bit of a myth - my ex was Glaswegian and I used to tease him about stuff like that.

Saw earlier the reference to Kendal Mint Cake - I worked in Kendal but it is WAY to sweet for me, literally just sugar!!

@enigmata It definitely started as a 'look at those unhealthy Scots they even eat deep fried Mars bars' thing probably perpetuated by the Sun or Daily Mail, So I think they now do it ironically (it was in a rather posh gastro pub).

In a totally unrelated note, we went to a local Comic Con yesterday and a few of the stalls were selling American snacks (and Japanese ones - covered in Anime cartoons). Things like Twinkies and Mike and Ike's I've seen before, but I was quite excited to see a Moon Pie (only ever heard of them from Big Bang Theory) I obviously don't get out enough :kitty-wink: 

I didn't buy any KoolAid but I now own the one ring to rule them all. 

Okay for everyone looking for erm...unusual things to eat y'all should head down to my neck of the woods the first full week of October. Street festival with hundreds of booths with pretty much any and everything you can think of being deep fried. Some of the tamer ones would be the fried Oreos, the fried Milky Ways or Snickers...but if you're looking for a real artery clogger you can get a stick of fried butter...:pb_eek:

Come to the Iowa State Fair and get yourself some deep fried butter. Seriously.

I've never had it, but I've heard it tastes like a cinnamon roll.

maxresdefault.jpg

18 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Now there's a recipe Jessa would love.  Yuk!

15 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

maxresdefault.jpg

:omg: As much as I love butter and things deep-fried, I will have to pass. :lol:

Take a stick of butter, shove a stick on the end, dip in in a batter of dough (probably with cinnamon and sugar added in the dough), and stick it in the deep fryer. Then put some frosting on top when its done. The butter melts on the inside, so be careful when first biting into it, even though it's mostly hollow when done. It's like a really rich tasting French toast or cinnamon roll. I've heard it's decent tasting, but if I ever ate it, I would have to split it with friends. I can't fathom of eating a whole stick of butter as a treat. Iowa State Fair or not...

Anyone who has been to England and the UK can I ask a question? I have heard that the chocolate found in the UK and Europe is less sugary than the chocolate that is made in the U.S. by U.S. Companies. Is this true? I am curious to find out because I have heard people say its a bit more savory than sweet and is more healthy for everyone- the chocolate and candies made in the UK that is.

It's still sweet, and wouldn't really be classed as healthy ;) you can get higher cocoa percentage stuff that's more bitter (and you're not supposed to eat the whole bar just a square - where's the fun in that?) that's seen as 'proper chocolate'.

Continental chocolate has even less sugar than ours, still edible though ;) I like 'milka' which is swiss and (by the name) has more milk in it.

I've raided my Easter stash, here are the stats from the wrapper of my Wispa bar (standard Cadburys chocolate). Per 100g: 550Kcal, Fat 34g, Sugar 52.5g, Protein 7.3g, Fibre 1g, Salt 0.23g. So, er, yeah. over half of it is sugar....... damn....... I wish I hadn't figured that out.

Germany, Ritter Sport chocolate (because it is right next to me, I normally prefer Milka):

Flavour is normal milk chocolate with vanilla mouse.

Per 100g: 586kcal, 40g fat, 51g sugar, 5,4g protein (it took me 25 years to find out what "Eiweiß" means in English, thanks FJ!) and 0,19g salt.

I never had US chocolate and I also never had British one. I love Milka, but Ritter Sport is not bad either. The factory is close to where I live and you can book guided tours there.

I heard that McDonalds tastes different here in the EU or maybe even in each country. One thing for sure: The sizes are different. I read that you have really huge coke cups, biggest size here is 0,5l if I remember it right at McDonalds. I rarely order drinks, they are too expensive for my liking, I'd rather eat another hamburger for that price. ;-)

16 hours ago, MsSourPickle said:

Anyone who has been to England and the UK can I ask a question? I have heard that the chocolate found in the UK and Europe is less sugary than the chocolate that is made in the U.S. by U.S. Companies. Is this true? I am curious to find out because I have heard people say its a bit more savory than sweet and is more healthy for everyone- the chocolate and candies made in the UK that is.

I don't really tend to like most mass produced chocolate, Ritter Sport, Mars Co-products, Cadbury (especially vile imo), so I might not be the best person to answer, but overall whenever I'm in the US I find it hard to buy candy and chocolates since everything is so extremely sweet and artificial and chocolates tend to be both sweeter and softer in texture than what I usually go for. 
To me a good chocolate is dark and has a certain just so "break", that tells me whoever made it knows about mixing and temperatures. 
Than again I seem to be in the lady-person minority as I'm not a huge chocolate fan and tend to crave savory things more than sweet ones. 

I am an American that lived in England for a couple of years.    Cadbury chocolate is so much better in England.   Nothing much beats a Cadbury Flake bar.     It isn't as sweet and seemed to taste creamier.

Archived