IGNORED

Usage and Diction Pet Peeves

EmCatlyn

On September 12, 2016 at 11:29 AM, catlady said:

I see "the Smith's" all the time and it drives me batty; I saw that once on a fancy wood plaque next to the front door of a house once.  even if they meant that the house was owned by the Smiths, it's wrong (the Smiths' house). 

I also get annoyed with "suppose to," which should be "supposed to."

My husband had one of those from his grandparents ..."The Ourlastname's"

The Ourlastname's what?  If he's going to put that thing up he needs a to carve an addendum.  The Ourlastname's Manor.  The Ourlastname's inhospitable abyss.  The Ourlastname's split foyer with crappy dampers in the ventilation system.

We compromised and I threw it in a box in the garage.

• Upvote 5

I hate when people say: she is the woman that...instead of: she is the woman who...

Can I just ask, what the actual fuck is with Facebook commenters? (Interesting fact, my iPad wanted to type 'commenter's', which just makes my point for me.) Are they totally lacking in grammar skills?  It is utterly appalling what people write. Proofread for god's sakes!

I wrote a post here recently and, days later, saw that I had submitted its', instead of its.  Too late to edit, I was very embarrassed. And I know I've made other mistakes when I've had wine not proofread.  

Oh!  Another thing that gets my goat is, 'I'm done'.  You can't be done.  You can be finished.  It can be done, you cannot be done.

*proofreading before submitting. Think I'm ok.

• Upvote 3

As the reigning typo queen and empress of fictional punctuation rules I'm just going to back quietly out of this thread and pretend I never read it, before I become too insecure to post anywhere.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

As the reigning typo queen and empress of fictional punctuation rules I'm just going to back quietly out of this thread and pretend I never read it before I become too insecure to post anywhere.

Ha!  Typos are different. We all recognize those. The only time I've noticed typos in your posts was in your recap, and they were hilarious. I did a recap once, too, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get it out in a timely fashion while watching the shitshow.  I don't know how Buzzard does it. Your posts are wonderfully eloquent and structured beautifully!!  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

Ha!  Typos are different. We all recognize those. The only time I've noticed typos in your posts was in your recap, and they were hilarious. I did a recap once, too, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get it out in a timely fashion while watching the shitshow.  I don't know how Buzzard does it. Your posts are wonderfully eloquent and structured beautifully!!  

I totally forgot to go back and fix those!  I think I left a dong back there...oops.  And thanks but, yes, it's impossible to do live.

• Upvote 3

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I totally forgot to go back and fix those!  I think I left a dong back there...oops.  And thanks but, yes, it's impossible to do live.

A dong you did leave. Made my day. 

• Upvote 3

I'm with Buffy.....backing out quietly. Before I go, I want to apologize in advance for any typos, usage mistakes or anything else I type that sets your teeth on edge or makes you ragey. :pb_biggrin:

• Upvote 5

• 5 weeks later...

I have a friend who lives in Siam Villa's - there's a big sign outside to tell you.....In England,we used to call it The Greengrocer's Apostrophe - from all the labels saying Tomatoe's 20p, Potatoe's 30p.....

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

Accept/Except

Also, it bothers me when nonplussed is used incorrectly. It means "surprised" or "confused" but in recent years people have started using it in place of "unfazed" or "unperturbed". I know words change definitions over the years but this one just continues to bug me.

Edited by GoddessOfVictory
  • Upvote 3

• 1 year later...

I stumbled on this old thread and it really made me laugh. One that I recently noticed is pacifically instead is specifically.

example: “ I pacifically told him to get apples”

I would always want to say “Maybe you should have asked atlantically.”

Or mixing up past and passed in writing. It’s “In the past five days.” And “Five days have passed” not the passed five days

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Knight of Ni said:

I would always want to say “Maybe you should have asked atlantically.

I'll have to remember this one! ?

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Okay,I will it admit that I make mistakes,too.

I hate when people use the word "seen" incorrectly.Instead of,"I have seen______" or even,"I saw ______".They say or write,"I seen_______".

I also don't like when people say "There is" for a group which,unless I am mistaken would mean it's "There are_____".On a resident group in one particular subdivision a woman claimed "There is shady people in __________ the subdivision.

Some people in the resident group call others out on their mistakes.Some say thanks.Some get offended and claim they don't need a grammar coach.One person even posted an link about people who correct other people's grammar online.That most of them are introverts(I am) and they're assholes.I told Mr Melon about this..he agreed...said my correcting him is embarassing.It isn't meant that way.

So,I guess I am an introvert and an asshole.

• Upvote 3

• 11 months later...

reign/rein/rain

The monarch reigns

A horse is controlled using reins.

The rain in Spain

Coronate means crown shaped

Crowned is the act of placing a crown on the monarch's head symbolically showing their new status. Thus monarchs are crowned not coronated.

• Upvote 1