IGNORED

Documentary recs?

Yogi

I love all of Louis Theroux's docos, but his ones on the Phelps family are particularly good! He doesn't pussyfoot around the awkward topics.

'Give Me Sex, Jesus' is not a fundie doco per se, it is more about the purity movement, but I found it interesting and you might too. It can be watched for free on vimeo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched Kidnapped for Christ on Amazon Prime... and my mom and I share her prime account. Amazon e-mailed her asking how many stars she would give the documentary and she forwarded it to me in a panic that someone broke into her account or stole her credit card LOL whoops. No, mom, just fascinated with cults. 

On 3/5/2016 at 11:34 AM, Yogi said:

The mention of documentaries in the No Place Like Home thread got me wondering if anyone would share their favorite cult/fundie documentary recommendations. Bonus if they are on Netflix! 

@Yogi, Alexandra Pelosi, Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi's daughter, has excellent documentaries. You may want to check her filmography out.

11 minutes ago, ALM7 said:

@Yogi, Alexandra Pelosi, Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi's daughter, has excellent documentaries. You may want to check her filmography out.

I have seen her documentaries. They are great!!  

18 hours ago, Ais said:

I'm about two thirds of the way through Jesus Camp and I don't think I can actually watch the entire thing in one sitting. It is genuinely one of the most disturbing things I've ever seen.

You've made it a bit farther than I ever have. I never really understood "triggers" until I tried to watch that movie.

My recommendation is for Marjoe, the doc about the boy evangelist Marjoe Gortner. And, ooooh, lookie here! http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/category/religion/

So many documentaries. So little time. I want to watch The God Who Wasn't There.

6 hours ago, ALM7 said:

Oh thanks!! I appreciate that. 

8 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

You've made it a bit farther than I ever have. I never really understood "triggers" until I tried to watch that movie.

My recommendation is for Marjoe, the doc about the boy evangelist Marjoe Gortner. And, ooooh, lookie here! http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/category/religion/

So many documentaries. So little time. I want to watch The God Who Wasn't There.

There's a documentary about that Marjoe guy in the link I posted earlier, I might go watch it after your comment :)

Dark Matter of Love - about international adoption. Family brings home 3 old kids at once without a clue

Thin - not Fundies, eating disorder. Really good!

Pint Sized Preachers

The Source Family

Jonestown: Paradise Lost

Stuck - international adoption

Girlhood

Snake Salvation!!

It's a Girl

Children Underground

Monica and David

Tapestries of Hope

Commune

Tent City, USA

Best Kept Secret

...looks like some are no longer streaming :(

There's an excellent one about a women's prison in a Muslim

Country filled with women convicted of things like having affairs, can't find it in my viewing activity. Ugh

....Love Crimes of Kabul

Children of God: Lost and Found

(Some may have been on HBO GO)

I was actually just looking at an old FJ thread for a documentary called "Virgin Tales" about the purity movement.  Sadly I can't find it on the internet anymore (if anyone knows where to find it let me know, that was a ball of creepy) but in looking for it, I found one called "The Virgin Daughters" which is pretty interesting so far and covers some of the same people as Virgin Tales, but more from an outsider perspective.  Though I have to admit I'm...curious about some of the music choices (...the theme from "Glory"?  Really?).

I'm watching one of Alexandra Pelosi's films about the pastor Ted Haggard. Great so far. HBO On Demand.

Every time I see the name Ted Haggard I think of the song Ted Haggard is Completely Heterosexual by Roy Zimmerman [emoji23]

This documentary is so freaking sad. So he's gay who cares? Find a Christian church that accepts gays. They exist. Who agrees to get exiled from the state where they live and how is that even legal?? I don't know... it is sad that he allowed his church to ruin his life instead of taking a stand for who he is.

38 minutes ago, infooverload said:

Every time I see the name Ted Haggard I think of the song Ted Haggard is Completely Heterosexual by Roy Zimmerman emoji23.png

You're not the only one.

And thanks for the earworm...I think. :pb_lol:

On 3/4/2016 at 1:47 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

Is this available free to stream on Prime?

Yes, it is.

On 3/4/2016 at 4:55 PM, SilverBeach said:

Going Clear, a former high level members expose about Scientology. It was excellent.

Indeed, I thought so too.

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:45 AM, Yes, TOTALLY said:

I love all of Louis Theroux's docos, but his ones on the Phelps family are particularly good! He doesn't pussyfoot around the awkward topics.

Louis has done a film about scientology 'My Scientology Movie' but seems to be on some sort of staggered release (in cinemas), I'm dying to see it.

I watched a documentary about the Amazing Randi a couple of weeks back, based on his efforts to debunk psychics and faith healers, very interesting viewing but I'm not sure it's available outside the UK (maybe on BBC Worldwide 'Storyville: Exposed Magicians Psychics and Frauds).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04ndsb3/storyville-20142015-8-exposed-magicians-psychics-and-frauds

11 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

Louis has done a film about scientology 'My Scientology Movie' but seems to be on some sort of staggered release (in cinemas), I'm dying to see it.

I watched a documentary about the Amazing Randi a couple of weeks back, based on his efforts to debunk psychics and faith healers, very interesting viewing but I'm not sure it's available outside the UK (maybe on BBC Worldwide 'Storyville: Exposed Magicians Psychics and Frauds).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04ndsb3/storyville-20142015-8-exposed-magicians-psychics-and-frauds

Oooo I would pay to go see a Louis Theroux doco in the cinemas! I googled and it doesn't seem to be coming out where I live :( From reading reviews though, it sounds like it's a really good doco!

• 2 weeks later...

Google tells me there is still no wide release date for Louis Theroux's Scientology documentary.  Im dying to see it!

On 3/6/2016 at 11:17 AM, tumblr said:

It's not technically a documentary but the filming of Oprah visiting an FLDS community was really interesting to me. I couldn't find the whole thing but I found a lot of 3-7minute clips on youtube. 

Another one that's not technically fundie is the Jim Jones one that was made about a decade ago by NatGeo. I happen to catch it on CBS a couple years ago and it is probably the best documentary I have seen. I also can recommend several horror movies based off the Jim Jones situation if anyone is interested.

'An Unlikely Disciple' is a book about a Brown student who goes to Liberty for a semester. Again, not what you technically asked for but a very good look into the Evangelical Lifestyle for the POV of a complete outsider. 

I love Unlikely Disciple. If anyone else is looking for books, Jesus Land by Julia Scheeres is an amazing memoir, though very heavy (physical/sexual abuse, racism, etc.). In a very brief nutshell, Scheeres' parents, two racist white evangelicals, adopted two black children in the 1970s (I think - it's been about a year since I read it). Scheeres and her brother David end up getting sent to a Christian boot camp in the DR. I also picked up Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall in the airport a few years ago and really enjoyed that one as well. It's an FLDS memoir. (If anyone wants other memoir recs related to religion, that's like my thing.)

As far as documentaries go, one I haven't seen mentioned here yet is Hell House, which was released in 2002 and is about the "hell house" Halloween phenomenon in some evangelical churches. If you liked/made it through Jesus Camp, I would recommend Hell House. (Side note: a lot of churches here call their hell houses "tribulation trails." They shorten it to "trib trail." Look up "tribbing" on Urban Dictionary if you are unfamiliar with the term - NSFW!!)

Kidnapped for Christ is another great one. It's on Amazon Prime. An evangelical film student goes to a "Christian school" for troubled teens in the Caribbean. It is absolutely chilling. Passports and IDs are held by administration.  Kids have no rights as most are underage.  All communications are monitored (including letters) when they are allowed at all.  Abuses are rampant and some of the teens are very obviously mentally ill, and no amount of behavior modification (their word for abuse) is going to help them. The fascinating part is the filmmaker  goes with the intent of showing how successful and wonderful the program was (which was how she got in with cameras) and sees the truth while there. 

Sorry I'm rambling not enough coffee yet. 

I'm reading The Sound of Gravel which is a memoir written by a woman who grew up on an FLDS compound in Mexico. It is super depressing - deep poverty, abuse, limited utilities, lots of kids born with the gamut of disabilities and absolutely no help for them etc.

2 hours ago, Apricot said:

Google tells me there is still no wide release date for Louis Theroux's Scientology documentary.  Im dying to see it!

Here's a little clip of it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/louis-theroux-scientologists-documentary_uk_5706360ee4b0e9cdf8df81cc?bkudwthdwnpfd2t9&

The great thing about Louis is he has this really unflappable naïve quality, I don't think I've ever seen a scientologist back down like this with other reporters (The last UK reporter completely lost it and screamed at them).

Apparently it's showing at the New York Tribeca film festival.

"The Virgin Daughters" is on YouTube and is about the purity movement in the US.  Most of the families would be considered fundie lite except for their craptastics take on "giving your viriginity to your father".......  :brainbleach:

I'm watching Kidnapped For Christ on youtube just now and wow.

I've seen this 'sort' of thing before but not like this. I remember Channel 4 (uk) used to have a reality tv show where they sent kids to a camp in America, don't think it was religious but it scared me I recently found out a boy died there, so maybe I wasn't crept out for nothing.

I also remember a fictional movie that based on a true story about a girl sent to a camp like this abroad, but it descended into horror movie territory with the kids being left for dead I think.

13 hours ago, BamaBelle said:

Kidnapped for Christ is another great one. It's on Amazon Prime. An evangelical film student goes to a "Christian school" for troubled teens in the Caribbean. It is absolutely chilling. Passports and IDs are held by administration.  Kids have no rights as most are underage.  All communications are monitored (including letters) when they are allowed at all.  Abuses are rampant and some of the teens are very obviously mentally ill, and no amount of behavior modification (their word for abuse) is going to help them. The fascinating part is the filmmaker  goes with the intent of showing how successful and wonderful the program was (which was how she got in with cameras) and sees the truth while there. 

Sorry I'm rambling not enough coffee yet. 

I know of a couple who went here. It is where they had met and the stories are horrifying!

Archived