IGNORED

Tampon Tax Unfair - 5 Women Sue NY Tax Dept.

LittleSpouseOnThePrairie

Tampon Tax faces opposition in New York, as a lawsuit has been filed claiming "luxury tax" imposed on tampons and pads is unfair to women. 

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/03/pf/taxes/tampon-tax-lawsuit-new-york/index.html

and

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/new-lawsuit-challenges-new-york-state-tampon-tax-article-1.2551668

on other states facing new bills:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/29/pf/taxes/tampon-tax/?iid=EL

That reminds me, I need to buy a new menstrual cup.

I read the 2 articles and I'm still not sure.... Is the issue just that tampons have sales tax, or is there like, a special tax just for tampons and pads?

If the former, I'm not sure I see much problem? Most things I buy for hygiene have sales tax, at least here in Michigan. (Unless I'm wrong? It's been a while since I've bought soap and shampoo, as I tend to buy in bulk.)

If it's the latter then yes that is disturbing.,

Here in Michigan, prepared food has sales tax, while food you buy at the store does not. Candy is also not taxed. I'd personally rather see candy taxes than tampons, but then you get into arguments of "what is candy?" Are sugared bugs candy or are they food?

And then what about cookies. They're not necessary but they're also not taxed.

And then you get into arguments about which foods are necessary, which is a whole nother headache and no one wants to deal with that.

In Australia, condoms are deemed necessary and don't attract the 10% goods and services tax (gst).  Tampons and pads are taxed.  I've never seen the sense in this.

1 hour ago, Karma said:

In Australia, condoms are deemed necessary and don't attract the 10% goods and services tax (gst).  Tampons and pads are taxed.  I've never seen the sense in this.

Really?  Wow.  I never knew this.  But I also don't know what the typical price range of any of those is.

lol, neither would my husband.  

ETA I just noticed your location.  Good to see your sense of humour in this, hope your recovery is progressing well. :)

Court papers note that the Empire State does not tax medical items such as Rogaine, foot powder, dandruff shampoo, ChapStick, facial wash, adult diapers and incontinence pads.

The biggest point the ladies make is that in NY typical hygiene products used commonly by both men and women aren't taxed the same way specific feminine hygiene products are. They claim it is a regressive tax on women, but what really makes no sense to me is that bandages and condoms are tax-free medical items, but tampons & pads are taxed as "luxury items" and not classified as medical items. 

I'm not super feminist, but the tax department putting necessary female products in the wrong category does bother me a bit. Many other states have variations of this same issue being reexamined, which I am glad for. :content:

Archived